April 28, 2024, 07:23:54 PM

Author Topic: Warriors’ success inspires artistes  (Read 903 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warriors’ success inspires artistes
« on: January 26, 2006, 08:55:34 AM »
Warriors’ success inspires artistes
By Michelle Loubon (Trinidad Guardian)

Carnivalesque celebrations erupted throughout Trinidad and Tobago, as the country celebrated its victory over Bahrain in the final world cup qualifier on November 16, 2005.

A slew of artistes who have capitalised on the historic event with patriotic songs are Maximus Dan (Fighter); Chris Garcia (Deutschland); and De Fosto (Soca Warriors).

Maximus, a self-confessed football fanatic, said: “I am not one of those people who jumped on the football bandwagon. I am in love with football. My song has been out since March 2005. My girlfriend (Jade Moses) gets mad at me for my love of football games.

“It is not just about the song Fighter, I wear football jerseys all the time; even when I perform.”

After surveying the massive sea of supporters sporting red, white and black, in attendance at the November 12 game against Bahrain at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, De Fosto said he felt compelled to pen Soca Warriors.

He said: “The name of the song was inspired by our Soca Warriors.

“Every song is representative of some event. It all had to do with the turnaround in their fortunes; when the white boy (Chris Birchall) scored the goal, and all hell broke loose. That was the turnaround. When the goal scored, you felt the immediate passion of the country.

“The chant started coming, ‘Soca Warriors coming.
On the road, we going, on the road, we going
Don’t be left behind this historic journey,
You done know we heading for Germany’.”

Garcia admitted to being overwhelmed at the response to his Soca Warriors (Wunderbar) German for wonderful, which is fondly being referred to as Deutschland.

He said the single has been returned to England for mastering. He added: “The song was written by producer Clyde Ward, Phillip Edinborough and Chris Garcia. We were down here doing some work and around that time the Soca Warriors were playing. We pooled our resources together and we came up with that song.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>