April 28, 2024, 05:02:38 PM

Author Topic: 'Sizing up" the next opponent.....Panama  (Read 2882 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
'Sizing up" the next opponent.....Panama
« on: May 01, 2005, 08:58:38 AM »
I will begin this  not by looking at the results or the individual Panamanian team players, but by trying to extrapolate the philosophy and the mental make up of what is driving this team so far. Here are some thoughts from the coach that may provide some idea as to this team's beliefs:

First the coach: Jose “Cheché” Hernandez is the Colombian-born coach of a country more known for its canal than its soccer. He is in charge of a squad with wily veterans and a base of youngsters that qualified for the FIFA World Youth Championship in the United Arab Emirates in 2003 and ready to make noise with the senior team.

Your next opponents are Trinidad & Tobago, a side not in the best of form. How do you go into a game like that?

I always try to instil the idea in my players that no team is more important than any other. We're on a mission where there are no stronger or weaker sides. It's like our approach to friendlies: we take them as seriously as a competitive match. It's undeniable that players will be more fired up against some teams, but I try to remain above that kind of thing so that we don't fall into the trap of over-confidence.

It will be Leo Beenhakker's first game in charge of T&T. Do you have any thoughts on that?

We're well aware of his record as a coach and there's no doubting that he's got what it takes to lead a national side. But it's something which doesn't concern me or my team. I can't say any more than that really.

Panama have been through a lot to get to this six-nation final qualifying group. What are your feelings when you look back at all that has happened?

We've come a long way and that has helped to confirm our belief that we stand a chance and that it's worth fighting for. When I look back, I see that the hard work that we've put in has borne fruit. But I think we'll need a few years to truly appreciate what we've done in this campaign. I'm not surprised by the results, though. I think it's normal that things have turned out the way that they have.

How are you working on the players' mental approach as you prepare for the final push?

Now is not the time to change anything that we've done so far. Our work is based on belief in ourselves, the will to win and hope. It's just a matter of reaffirming those ideas. It's not about changing them.

Until now, Panama had only ever qualified for the FIFA World Youth Championship UAE 2003. Now they're battling for a place at Germany 2006. Are we witnessing the emergence of a new generation of players in the country?

There's certainly a fresh generation of players coming through. It's only natural. But I think that the real change in Panamanian football will come when we get a truly resounding result. Then we can work on the entire structure of the sport in Panama, with different planning and working methods.

And how do you mean to achieve that?

By qualifying for the World Cup! (laughs).

What is the key to qualifying?

We have to maintain the simplicity and humility with which we've played until now. When you get a result like the one against Mexico, it's easy for the public and media to get carried away by the euphoria and it ends up affecting the players. We have to keep our feet on the ground. It was just a point, after all.

Can you imagine what might happen if Panama do make it to Germany 2006?

I don't think we're truly aware of what we achieve when we're actually doing it. That comes with the passing of time. If we do finally do it, it will be in the future when I tell my children, or my grandchildren. History is what makes you open your eyes

Now having read the above, I believe that:
This press released is very much 'guarded' by no means is this all revealing but what it does show is a 'peep' into some of the beliefs which are at the surface of this campaign for Panama. This WCQ is about a legacy, a defining point for a nation, it's about the emergence of a new era. Points which could also apply to TNT.

Starting with this general overview, I invite others to begin providing specifics about this team's strengths and weaknessess. Let's break this down and deconstruct the elements of this team's performance thus far and see what we (TNT) need to work aganist to  get a positive result. Ok all you TNT football experts; leh we beging doing some work to help out LEO and Phillips.
[/i]

Let's consider facts:

Panama lost to CR despite CR being short handed.

Panama ties Mexico despite Mexico being short handed.

CR ties TNT.

Do you think that  these  are suffucuent to predict any kinds of results?

In their own way, Panama are the most anonymous team in the region.  But what about Panama? Everyone's heard of Panama, if only for the canal, and everyone knows they must play football. But is there anyone out there who knows how good they are? Who can give any of their results in recent competitions? Who can supply even one fact about Panamanian football?

The fact is, Panama just about defines football mediocrity.  They're not really bad: they've been in the region's final 12 the last two WCQ cycles, they've always been better than minnow Nicaragua, and over the years they've claimed a scalp or two against the stronger Central American teams. But they're not very good, either: they have yet to make any sort of impact on the Gold Cup, they've never finished in the top 3 in UNCAF, and the only team they've beaten in the round of 12 has been Cuba.

For 87 minutes back in the summer of 2000, it appeared all this might change. Earlier in the year Panama had played well in an early WC qualifying stage, and they were hosting Mexico in the opening game of the semifinal round. Expectations were high--and the team didn't disappoint. They were brilliant, holding off the opposition with ease, controlling midfield, attacking with verve and creativity. They just couldn't get the ball in the net. And as so often happens, they lost: in the 88th minute, Ramón Ramirez of Mexico got a rare scoring chance, and converted it. The final was 0:1, and Panama collapsed. They managed only one draw in the next five games, and wound up with a GF/GA of 1:16.

Since then, same old story: a few wins, a few losses, some encouragement, some frustration. Their biggest disappointment was the 2003 UNCAF tournament, held in Panama for the first time, at which the team was expected to make history. But they bombed, winning only one of five games, finishing tied for fourth with Honduras--and in the final indignity, they lost the coin flip for a spot in the repechage for the Gold Cup.

But believe it or not, the canaleros have a future. With the American influence waning, football is slowly assuming greater importance. In 2003, for the very first time, the U-20's qualified for the FIFA world championship. In the regional qualifiers for Athens 2004, Panama made it into the final 8, and even beat Canada in their group stage game. Defender Felipe Baloy has crashed the most foreigner-resistant league of all, playing for Gremio in Brazil. The team has had some excellent results in the runup: a scoreless draw at Honduras, a 4:1 home win against Bermuda, a surprise 2:0 win at Guatemala. They're not going to become a power overnight, but it may not be long before you'll know a fact or two about them.

Key player:  Player To Watch:
The legend of Panamanian football is Julio Dely Valdes but the new face of Panamanian football is Roberto Brown. The Austrian based striker leads the team 5 goals scored and has had tryouts with teams in Portugal.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 09:31:14 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In saying all that
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 09:31:20 AM »
if you were to write a similar article on T&T over the last 18 months, we would appear woefully inferior to them.

Make no doubt about it, they are on a higher momentum than us rite now.
The good thing is that we just get a new coach and playing at home.

This gives us a lill injection, a lill boost for that game. Plus although we didnt win vs CR last game, we didnt lose either, so we also have a lill momentum going.

I personally feel we could take 6 pts off them, but it will need some luck.
I dunno nah, that next game vs them will be the game of the year for us.
Panama and TT both unpredictable.
We hadda win that one, cause we heading up Azteca a couple days later.
If we could work on the confidence of our team, I feel we could handle them in 1 month's time.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 'Sizing up" the next opponent.....Panama
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 09:58:34 AM »
Top Scorer : Roberto Brown - this guys scores almost every game that Panama scores a goal.

2nd scorer : Luis Tejada

I don't know these guys ages and where they play. But it seems that they are used intermittently.
Either one rarely play 90 mins. And they seem to change for each other. Tejada seemed to have missed a few past games, though he played the last against Mexico, and scored. This was one of the few Roberto Brown didn't.
I suspect these 2 are goal scorers but are unable to play a full 90, so the coach uses a sub. which maintains goal scoring threat for full 90 mins. As opposed to starting the 2, and finishing (last 30) with basic defense.
US was able to solve their defense, a game where Brown played all-90, and Tejada was not there. Notice 5 of the Us six goals came in the 2nd half. They score most of there goals in the 1st half.

I suspect they will try throwing everything at T&T in the 1st half and try to cruise for the rest. The longer we prevent dem from scoring, the weaker they will get. We should therfore go with a defensive line-up for the first 50 mins, and then make subs for attack mode at the rest.

Just a guess, eh. Stats from fifa.COM

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 12:53:16 PM »
does anyone have any insights as to their goalkeeping or defence? If my memory serves right, they qualified  for this stage having yielded the most goals.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 01:00:10 PM »
does anyone have any insights as to their goalkeeping or defence? If my memory serves right, they qualified  for this stage having yielded the most goals.

I'M NOT TOO SURE ABOUT THE QUALITY of their defence but i can tell u that they are very energetic and play a similar style to that of what we encountered against cuba in the gold cup!  They were everywhere!sometimes like hungry crazy ants looking for the littlest scrap of the ball!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 03:17:44 PM »
Given that assessment Andre, Do you think a friendly aganist Cuba would benefit our team?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 03:40:39 PM »
How many of the players from Panama, play professionally outside of Panama?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Foreign-based Panamanian players
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 08:27:19 PM »
How many of the players from Panama, play professionally outside of Panama?

Goalkeepers:
Ricardo James (CD Platense/Honduras)
Donaldo Gonzalez (CD Marathón/Honduras)

Defenders:
Felipe Baloy (Atlético Paranaense/Brazil)
Anthony "Chalate" Torres (CD Marathón/Honduras)
Carlos Rivera (Deportivo Independiente Medellín/Colombia)

Midfielders:
Alberto Blanco (Sheriff Tiraspol/Moldova)
Julio Medina (CD Águila/El Salvador)
William Aguilar (Deportes Quindío/Colombia)

Forwards:
José Luis Garcés aka "El Pistolero" (Deportivo Independiente Medellín/Colombia)
Roberto "El Bombardero" Brown (should sign for Estoril in Portugal, was released late last year from SV Salzburg in Austria because he was missing too many games due to WCQ)
Orlando Rodríguez (Deportivo Pereira/Colombia)
Blas Pérez (Deportivo Cali/Colombia)
Luis Tejada (Envigado/Colombia)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 07:15:54 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 10:01:35 PM »
Tallman,
You already have the scoop boy. I now know that the TNT intelligence wucking overtime. From now on ah calling you TallmanHoover.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tallman
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 10:45:55 PM »
are u a football scout?

PS - U passing thru Trini Posse for the ODI's, May 14 and 15th.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tallman
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 06:38:34 AM »
are u a football scout?
Ah use tuh be in Sea Scouts in Pres fuh ah little while, but me eh no football scout.

PS - U passing thru Trini Posse for the ODI's, May 14 and 15th.

Yeh, ah go be in Trini Posse on de 14th and probably Dos Santos on de 15th
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 06:41:18 AM »
eeheh Tallman I was a sea scout too down south by the whaf. Checkly was the scoutmaster.

1]; } ?>