April 25, 2024, 09:41:28 PM

Author Topic: Stern John hit form.  (Read 5225 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Stern John hit form.
« on: January 28, 2006, 05:14:31 PM »
Beenhakker says minimum pressure in World Cup build up.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

National head coach Leo Beenhakker was back in full flight in his role as head coach of new 2006 World Cup finalists Trinidad and Tobago over the last two days as he began working with potential World Cup players at the training camp in Fort Lauderdale.
As London Daily Mirror reporter Andy Lines said emphatically: “This is now a World Cup country we are looking at. You are no longer a team that is trying to make it or a team that almost made it. You are going to be on the World stage in a few months or you can even consider yourself there already.”
Lines journeyed from London with his photographer specifically to visit the T&T training camp and he was not only interested in what Dwight Yorke, Shaka Hislop or Stern John was up to, but he came to inquire more about what the home-based pros were experiencing, their lives as footballers back in T&T and what it meant for some of the young College players  to now have the chance of working under Beenhakker’s World Cup set up.
Beenhakker conducted his second session of the camp on Thursday morning under sunshine but with regular intervals of cool breeze and the occasional drizzle. And while he and assistants Wim Rijsbergen and Anton Corneal looked at what the likes of Tony Rougier, Anthony Noreiga and young Kevon Neaves had to offer, an ESPN/ABC World Cup film crew overlooked and shot various clips for their build up programmes on qualified teams for the 2006 World Cup. On requests of tips of who they should interview as Yorke and the other regulars were not involved, senior producer Natalie Jowett went on to interview  few of the players like Cyd Gray, Silvio Spann and Aurtis Whitley as well as Anthony Rougier, Atiba Charles, Kerry Baptiste, Errol McFarlane while Lines of the Mirror spoke to some of the other youngsters who Beenhakker has brought on the trip like goalie Jan Michael Williams, Julius James and Osei Telesford.
The former Real Madrid boss told the story in brief about his experience from the start of his tenure with the “Soca Warriors.
“We realized it was almost mission impossible. But we worked a lot and changed a lot of important things We studied the first few matches they played under the former coach, with all my respect, but we noticed within my philosophy there was no balance in the team,” Beenhakker said. “To me one of the main things in actual football is to have balance and a mix of all characteristics and talent of the players to cover everything. That was missing and there was no team with coordination and other things. That was the start and then we had to make it clear that we had to have the ball as much as possible to manage the game. Now look at us today we have made it to the World Cup as a team and we are trying to now prepare as a team. The boys picked it up very well. They were very good to work with from the beginning. The question was not whether they were good or not but realizing that our opponents were not better.”
When  asked if he is under any pressure at present  to get the team ready for the World Cup particularly with the euphoria over qualification, Beenhakker said: “Not for the moment. I think everyone has the right to be excited and celebrate. Most of these players are based overseas and they know how to handle it. Now they are working and living again in their normal routine.The hardest part was when we qualified to play Bahrain as it was hard to keep them on the ground because the whole country thought it was going to be a walk in the park but in football there is no walk in the park. But the players at the same time realize it will be a hell of a job to be successful in Germany but we know it’s possible to surprise somebody,” Beenhakker said.
“Now we are here to do some more work because we have a World Cup to look forward to.” Beenhakker has already finalized his training sites for the camp in England, Austria and Germany leading up to T&T’s World Cup opener against Sweden on June 10 and he is anticipating the February 28 friendly against Iceland at Loftus Road.
Before all of that, the Dutch-born coach will have a chance to see the players on this trip in a scrimmage against Florida International University from 3:30pm on Friday at the Sunrise ground.
News from the 2nd of February 2006.

Beenhakker gives chance of a lifetime to Rougier & company.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Former UK-based player Anthony Rougier has vowed to give head coach Leo Beenhakker his all over the next few days as the Dutch-man spends the period assessing some potential players for the National Team at the training camp in Fort Lauderdale.
Rougier was among ten players who traveled from Trinidad and arrived at the Sunrise Hilton on Wednesday in time for a one hour training session at the hotel’s training field in the evening period. Five other US-based players also arrived including recent Kansas City Wizards addition Anthony Noreiga, Osei Telesford and Darryl Roberts, Kevon Neaves and Julius James. The home-based players on the trip include Atiba Charles, Cyd Gray, Jan Michael Williams, Silvio Spann, Kerry Baptiste, Nigel Henry, Errol McFarlane, Aurtis Whitley and Anthony Wolfe.
Rougier, a former national captain, last appeared for T&T in the 2-1 loss to the United States last February and has since taken up a move with local Pro League side United Petrotin. But the former Hibernian winger revealed that Beenhakker helped him turn down a trial with English Premiership club West Ham United in order to vie for selection on the National Team. The trial would have started tomorrow (Thursday) had Rougier taken up the offer.
“An opportunity came for me to have a trial and that was meant to commenced from tomorrow. I spoke to Mr Beenhakker and he advised that I should come here and get myself fit and rightly so at the end of the day it has to be right  decision for myself and family. It was a touchy situation but I thought I didn’t want to miss the chance to be there but being with my country is also the best thing at this time,” Rougier told TTFF Media prior to the evening session at the Sunrise.
Rougier said he was easily convinced that Beenhakker would be the perfect man for him to work under in his attempt to make a comeback in time for T&T’s opening World Cup match against Sweden on June 10.
“One of the major things he (Beenhakker) was saying to me is that he’s very much committed to the job. He’s going to give his two hundred percent and if he is, one of the thing he asks is that we give two hundred percent as well. One of the things he’s saying is because of my history he doesn’t see it being a problem but at the end of the day he cannot guarantee anything and that’s important to me knowing that he is not going to put players who he doesn’t think need to be there. He’s making it clear that you have to play for your position and earn your pick. He has proven himself and he is the best man for the job and what an opportunity this is for us players now,” Rougier added.
As to how he’s now anticipating this challenge ahead of the February 28 friendly international against Iceland, the former Port Vale man said: “I think it’s something I’m definitely looking forward to – the challenges of trying to achieve things when you get older is what keeps you. It’s a chance to find a purpose in my football career again and do whatever it takes to be one of the 23 players going to the World Cup. The squad of players who qualified deserved full credit and now it’s on to another level. You tend to put the pains of the past behind you and look forward to the hard work of what’s to come. From a tender age I know what struggles T&T football has had over the years and I’m praying to God that we can get an opportunity to make a difference through football. We have an opportunity to change lives I saw the youth looking forward to the future and I saw us realize that dream of making the World Cup and now we can keep this momentum going and keep on making a difference.”
Beenhakker’s squad will play two training matches on the weekend against Florida International University and a local Honduran-based team.
News from the 1st of February 2006.

Angus Eve calls it a day.
By Joel Villafana.

CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh’s Angus Eve has called time on his international career. Eve, a former National captain announced he has decided to retire from international duty because it now seems clear he is not part of National Coach Leo Beenhakker’s plans for the 2006 World Cup.
The 33 year old Eve, told ttproleague.com, “This has been a long time in coming, I have realized because of the new coach’s selection process, I don’t think I will be able to make the National team and I have decided its probably time to give the younger players a chance.”
“It was an extremely difficult decision to make because no one wants to give up something they have been doing their whole life, but at the end of the day that’s the decision that I came too and I think it’s the best decision at this time for me,” said the Former National midfielder.
Despite his retirement, Angus Eve still believes he has what it takes to compete at the international level.
“Guys like Tony Rougier are older than I am and they have been given the opportunity to be on the National team and when I look back my last few games for the National team, I think I have had some very good, strong performances and I still think I can make a strong contribution, unfortunately for me Mr. Beenhakker came into the picture and has not seen it that way and he has not looked in my direction, Eve lamented.”
Eve however, made it clear—“I have no grievances against anybody, the coach picks the players he wants to pick and not having the opportunity to play at the World Cup in June, I think now is the right time for me to call it a day.”
Angus Eve made his senior international debut for Trinidad and Tobago back in 1994, but was on the Trinidad and Tobago Youth team that went to Portugal for the Fifa Youth World Cup in 1991 under coach Bertille St. Clair.
He finished his career with 131 National senior caps and scored 48 goals, which included 12 World Cup qualifying goals—he is 3rd on the all time national list only behind Stern John and Steve David.
Eve started the ‘Journey to Germany’ as captain of the National team under Coach Bertille St. Clair in the ‘Soca Warriors’ first match against the Dominican Republic back in 2004—his last match for Trinidad and Tobago was in the 2005 Concacaf Gold Cup against Colombia.
Looking back at his career, he said there were a few highlights—one being when he qualified as part of the National Youth team under Bertille St.
Clair to the Fifa Youth World Cup, he also said his stint with Chester City in 1998 was a memorable experience and most recently, acquiring his International Coaching License.
Looking ahead, the San Juan Jabloteh Captain says he now wants to focus on giving back.
“I am still fit and I hope to play with Jabloteh for at least the next two seasons, I want to focus now on imparting the knowledge I have gained over the years to the younger players, football has been good to me and I want to give back—looking further ahead, I would love the opportunity to possibly coach my country one day—and I am looking forward to coaching at Jabloteh and developing my coaching career.”
Warriors hopefuls off to Miami camp.
T&T Guardian Reports.
[/size]

National coach Leo Beenhakker will welcome a 15-man squad in Fort Lauderdale today as he commences a training camp at the Sunrise Hilton until February 6. Beenhakker left for Fort Lauderdale ahead of the other squad members and will hold his first training session tomorrow morning at the hotel’s training field. The Warriors also camped there during the 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign and the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
Beenhakker will work with 15 players instead of the original 16 as LA Galaxy forward Quavas Kirk was forced to withdraw due to injury. Kirk is a former US National Under-17 striker and made himself available for the camp prior to his injury.
The other players leaving today include Aurtis Whitley, fresh from a trial with English Premier League club Portsmouth, new CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh signing Anthony Wolfe, Atiba Charles of W Connection and team-mate goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams, Jabloteh midfielder Kerry Baptiste as well as Errol McFarlane, United Petrotrin’s Anthony Rougier, Nigel Henry, ex-Japanese-based player Silvio Spann and defender Cyd Gray for the training camp. Gray is coming off a trial at English club Luton Town.
The US-based players are former George Mason University defender Anthony Noreiga who has been drafted by MLS side Kansas City Wizards, former St Anthony’s College duo Julius James out of University of Connecticut and Kevon Neaves of University of South Florida, as well as Liberty University duo Osei Telesford and Darryl Roberts.
Team manager Bruce Aanensen confirmed that all was in place for the camp as Beenhakker uses the few days to fine tune some of the Warriors for the February 28 friendly international against Iceland.
“We will be met by Beenhakker in Miami and he will take charge. We feel the camp allows the technical staff to work with some of these guys who we expect will be in the squad for the match against Iceland. It is important that this sort of exercise takes place at a time like this which leaves us roughly four months away from the World Cup,” Aanensen said. Two training matches are also on the cards over the period in Fort Lauderdale.
The staff members off to Fort Laurderdale include assistant coaches Wim Rijsbergen, just back from a scouting trip in Europe, and Corneal, team sports physio Zeph Nicholas, goalkeeper coach Michael Maurice and equipment manager Ikin Williams, Aanensen (manager) and Joseph (assistant manager) and Shaun Fuentes (press officer).
News from the 29th of January 2006.

Stern John hit form.
By: Flex Mohammed.
[/size]

Coventry City manager Mickey Adams thinks the 28,120 fans can feel proud as his players come back to draw 1-1 with Middlesbrough at the Ricoh Arena. Coventry was the better side and earned a deserved replay after holding Premiership side Middlesbrough to a draw in their FA Cup fourth-round tie. After such a great first half Coventry went to sleep at the start of the second half and Middlesbrough made them pay just 29 seconds after the break. Dutch striker Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink fired Borough ahead after receiving a flick from Aiyegbeni Yakubu who found a wide-open Hasselbaink to volley home his seventh goal of the season.
But the lead lasted just eight minutes as McSheffrey managed to hook a loose ball to the edge of the area. Middlesbrough's Matthew Bates failed to clear the awkward, bouncing ball which allowed Don Hutchison to nod the ball on to John to strike a sweet volley from 12 yards for his fourth goal of the season and 3rd in two games since his return from Derby County.
The Trinidad and Tobago striker also got a deserved standing ovation from the biggest crowd so far at the Ricoh Arena as he came off in the 90.

Samuel impresses.

If you thought Stern John played in front of a large crowd, think again, Collin Smauel was outstanding for Dundee United in front of a capacity crowd of 59,875 screaming fans. Despite missing a few chance to register his name on the score sheet, Samual was a constant threat for the Celtics defense. Two goals in the final ten minutes on Saturday afternoon earned United their first point at Celtic Park since 1997. Like Coventry, Dundee United were the superior side in the first 45 minutes. United's David Fernandez had equalised John Hartson’s opener in the first half, before goals by Zurawski and Petrov put Celtic into a seemingly unassailable lead. The introduction of Lee Miller were the turning point for United scoring within a minute of his introduction, and Fernandez slotting in the equaliser four minutes from time, the game ended 3-3 and United went home a happy side.
Collin Samuel international team-mates Jason Scotland and Russell Latapy both played for their clubs but was unable to score. Nonetheless, both St Johnstone and Falkirk were victorious. New Falkirk signing Densill Theoblad is yet to make an appearance for his Falkirk's first team.

Jones, the hero for Saint.

While Stern John goal was important, Samuel impressed, Shaka Hislop, Kevin Austin, Ian Cox and Jlloyd Samuel played a full 90 for their respected club teams, the real shinning star for the Trinis Abroad would go to Kenwyne Jones. His 91st minute strike was enough to earn Southampton a win over Leicester City that sent Saints through to the last 16 of the FA Cup.
Jones only entered the match in the 83rd and it took just eight minutes (that number again, see Stern John's report) for him to score when he ran behind the Leicester defence to shoot low on the run into the bottom right corner.
"I sent Kenwyne on because he is quick and he took his chance really well. "We have kept two clean sheets on the trot now which is important to us and they breed confidence. "I was very pleased with the spirit shown and against Palace and that is vital when you are building for the future added new manager George Burley who took over from Harry Rednapp recently.
Tobago Zone All-star players shortlisted.
T&T Express Reports.

The Secondary Schools Football League Tobago Zone All-star team have shortlisted a squad of players for training in preparation for the Barbados Cup, which takes place from April 7-14.
The technical staff of the team-which is comprised mainly of players from Scarborough Secondary and Bishop's High School-include coach Anslem Henry, manager Neil Alleyne, assistant coach Ray Mitchell and assistant manager Darren Alleyne.

Shortlisted Players:

Jeromie Williams, Jereem Quashie, Christopher Mark, Kelion McKenna, Andell Noray, Valton Brathwaite, Corey Carrington, Kareem Parks (goalkeeper), Trevin Caesar, Norrel Osmond (Scarborough Secondary); Kareem Yearwook, Curtis Moses, Sheldon Small, Kaylon Morris (Signal Hill); Ezron Marcelle, Kyle Salandy, Nelion Graham, Akeem Frank, Samuel Guy, John Thomas (goalkeeper), Sean Davis (Bishop's High School); Kerlon Ferguson, Akeem Graham (Mason Hall High School); Kellon Philips, Romeo Henry (goalkeeper), Daniel Cyrus (Goodwood High School); Chervol Lindow (Speyside High School); Nyron Orr (Roxborough Composite School); Kwesi Sandy (goalkeeper, Pentecostal Light & Life).

T&TFF hold U-14 screening sessions.

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation will be holding screening sessions for national Under-14 players today from 9 a.m. at various venues throughout Trinidad and Tobago.
Players must be born after January 1, 1992, to be eligible for the screening programme, which is being overseen by national senior assistant coach and youth development officer Anton Corneal, with selection taking place for further screening sessions for the national Under-15 squad.
The screening will take place at the following venues: Queen's Park Savannah (North); Marvin Lee training field, Macoya (East); Edinburgh 500 ground (Central); Sangre Grande Government School (Eastern Counties); and the Dwight Yorke Stadium training field (Tobago).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 03:17:53 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline benedicts bwoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stern John hit form.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 05:24:28 PM »
BIG UP FLEXX!!!
Ah go take one fo yu tonite :cheers: :cheers:

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 05:25:05 PM »
Great job by all the players.

keep making us proud!

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 06:03:21 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :) :) :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D

DE FELLAHZ IN FORM NOW!

ah see dat stern john go on fsc jes know and it was followed up on de jones goal

ah tell yuh

ah jes start tuh  :'( cry dred

beautiful.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 06:12:54 PM »
this is great....men gettin in form...keep  it up!
Back in Trini...

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 06:28:18 PM »
nice nice :beermug:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 06:48:43 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/default.stm

go to this link and somwhere on the left of the screen you'll see videos of reactions odf managers after games.

you'll see borovscoventry

click on it and near tyo the end of the talk you'll hear them talk quite a bit about stern.

;D

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 08:47:31 PM »

Sweet. I love the form, when our guys perform I does get goosebumps, Is time for our Players to mark their names on the annals of the game.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 09:22:06 AM »
If dem fellas keep this up, Beenie will have some tough decions t make regarding his forwards to be included in the squad.  Somebody getting leave back, cause Samuel starting to perform to true potential.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 09:30:02 AM »
GOOD GRIEF

Ms que un club.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 11:41:06 AM »
Oh Gwaaaam Disgruntled.. LOL... You is ah real hater.. I en guh lie.. lol
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 12:41:09 PM »
yea dred is stern john not anil roberts

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 04:00:45 PM »
Stern score again today, and the goal was the winner too.  Hull 1 vs Coventry 2.

Stern John scored "an impressive strike from the left side of the penalty box"

Like we boy in form again!   ;D

Disgruntled, where yuh?

1]; } ?>