April 28, 2024, 10:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Best dribbler at club or national level  (Read 13955 times)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Best dribbler at club or national level
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2006, 12:00:58 PM »
As ah old South man who grow up right across from Mahaica Oval I had the pleasure of seeing Dilly and Co in action. T=De one dat all Point men will talk bout most when it comes to dribbling is Leo "Twinkle toes" Brewster. He was masterful. From de time he touch de ball...watch out cause yuh gehing yuh ankle twis up.
My favorite games was when Caroni and Leroy Spann came to play. I think dat game used to draw the most crowd. It was beats WHOLE GAME. Spanna tearing thru we defence(Tanno, Civic right back, was Spanna son for ah day ;D ) and Brew mashing up Caroni's defence. There was de occassional goal too ;D.

In modern times Russell Latapy is jess pure trouble. He make some Canadians and Mexicans look like primary school boys. Evans Wise is deadly too, he jess needs some presence-of-mind to make a good pass after he done beats the sixth man in a row.
Aye the biggest crowd for any game in Mahaica Oval is when Defence Force come down there,ppl used to be climbing on lampost because the Oval was too small to accommodate the crowd.DF v Point Fortin Civic that used to be the biggest day in Point.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2006, 12:24:39 PM »
As ah old South man who grow up right across from Mahaica Oval I had the pleasure of seeing Dilly and Co in action. T=De one dat all Point men will talk bout most when it comes to dribbling is Leo "Twinkle toes" Brewster. He was masterful. From de time he touch de ball...watch out cause yuh gehing yuh ankle twis up.
My favorite games was when Caroni and Leroy Spann came to play. I think dat game used to draw the most crowd. It was beats WHOLE GAME. Spanna tearing thru we defence(Tanno, Civic right back, was Spanna son for ah day ;D ) and Brew mashing up Caroni's defence. There was de occassional goal too ;D.

In modern times Russell Latapy is jess pure trouble. He make some Canadians and Mexicans look like primary school boys. Evans Wise is deadly too, he jess needs some presence-of-mind to make a good pass after he done beats the sixth man in a row.

Buh Pointman dat is years after Dilly and Archie dem leave Civic? Boh Boy (aka Spanner), play for Caroni in 75-76 around dey.

Yuh right though Brewster was tears.

having seen and followed Dilly, he was not only a play maker but at artist at dribbling, players could not even touch the ball. the thing was it looked like he was hardly running but man still getting leave out. I remember  a game in Skinner Park versus Costa Rica. Dilly hit ah Costa Rican ah double rollie pollie, left foot, right foot.  right in the center circle. Ah think dat CRican stil dey fuss he screw he self in the ground.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: dat was good.

Ah didn't mean to say Dilly and Archie and played with Spanna and dem jess that I had the pleasure of seeing all the famous Civic men live and direct. When Dilly and Archie came back home from their pro teams' breaks and played for Civic man yuh swear was Carnival in Point cause ppl would come from all over south to watch dem play and as soon as dey touch de ball de crowd would jess go MAD...from de first touch ah de ball...DAT was ah real treat in dem days.

But Spanna was de man Point ppl respected cause he was jess DEADLY. De man used to have we an all laughing at we own defenders.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2006, 12:27:26 PM »

Aye the biggest crowd for any game in Mahaica Oval is when Defence Force come down there,ppl used to be climbing on lampost because the Oval was too small to accommodate the crowd.DF v Point Fortin Civic that used to be the biggest day in Point.

Tru, Tru de army used to draw ah real big crowd too. We had ah Pointman "Daddy Man" Gayskel Furlonge who used to play with the army. DAT was some boss football, we didn't have no answer for the army...we were too depleted of the major talents ;D but Willo used to try an hold it down for we.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2006, 12:32:56 PM »
Dat was Francis Furlong! Right? Then Bede Archibal and Milton went to play for the Army.
Dam real talent come from Point we! Is like a who's who of T&T Football.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2006, 12:43:50 PM »
Coop's ah curious
what you think about Evans Wise...?

To be honest i've not really seen much of Evans Wise but the little i've seen he seems to be a very talented individual,but appears to be average when it comes to his team play,he concentrates on dribbling so much that it takes away from the other part of his game,i think if he could have improved  that area of his game it could have taken him to another level.He caught my eyes when he played in the MLS, i looked forward to seeing him play every time.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 02:16:24 PM by Coop's »

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2006, 12:44:15 PM »
Dat was Francis Furlong! Right? Then Bede Archibal and Milton went to play for the Army.

I believe his name was Francis...was ah couple of brothers Dick of course played for Civic but Daddy man was also known as "Goat". We certainly did our part to supply T&T with ball men. Ah think almost de whole forward line in the "73 WC campaign was Civic men.

Coop bring back some memories dey with ppl climbing on trees and on top ah ppl's houses etc. Cars park up on both sides ah dem small Point roads around the Oval. DAT WAS AH SIGHT. It is my deepest wish that Trinidad and Tobago could generate that kind of football excitement again, especially now in the age of big money potential for players. Imagine the amt ah money dem old heads coulda make if day had played in these times?Ah ya yay. ;)

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2006, 02:03:38 PM »
Some schoolboy dribblers

Sean Eusebe (QRC early 90's) 

Arnold Dwarika (Malick early 90's)

Terry St. Louis (what school Juggy went again?  I play with him at Airport Authority)

Marvin Raeburn (Fatima early 90's)

____ Maingot (Presentation College Chaguanas, early 90's)  that indian was worries

Colin Rocke (CIC, early - mid 80's)

Of course, the legendary Ian Clauzel (Mucurapo, late 70's)

Russell Latapy (Sando Tech., early - mid 80's)

Warhead (Belmont Junior Sec., late 80's)

Offline sweetiepaper

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2006, 02:05:42 PM »
I would make a lot of enemes in the west for leaving out jughead..the mnor league champ and i apologize for not mentioning Terry St louis. I remember Coach Vranes saying he just could not get across to jughead that the game is not about dribbling. Gamblers even bet on Jughead destroying any player in minor eagues across the country.
Savannah star " spanner " George would also make a top 10 in my book.

Yeah boy jai john Spanner George in he days was a boss. Men still fraid to rush he in fete match still.
"Sweetiepaper does be all over de place"

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2006, 03:55:17 PM »
Some schoolboy dribblers

Terry St. Louis (what school Juggy went again?  I play with him at Airport Authority)

____ Maingot (Presentation College Chaguanas, early 90's)  that indian was worries

Jahyouth how you go leave out Jerren Nixon bo?.....talking school boy dribblers Nixon take the cake...
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2006, 04:04:41 PM »
Some schoolboy dribblers

Jahyouth how you go leave out Jerren Nixon bo?.....talking school boy dribblers Nixon take the cake...

I was thinking Nixon, but he was more a man that used to blow past men with his speed.  Not really a dread dribbler who could put a man on he bottom on the trot, if you see what I mean.

But yeah, "the general" wasn't easy atall

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2006, 06:23:56 PM »
An in form Dwarika.

a dwarika on weed!lol.anybody remember the WC qualifier we play against honduras in honduras in 2003?dwarika real mess up the defenders,even get past the keeper but went so wide he couldnt shot at the goal.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2006, 07:38:27 PM »

I believe his name was Francis...was ah couple of brothers Dick of course played for Civic but Daddy man was also known as "Goat". We certainly did our part to supply T&T with ball men. Ah think almost de whole forward line in the "73 WC campaign was Civic men.

Coop bring back some memories dey with ppl climbing on trees and on top ah ppl's houses etc. Cars park up on both sides ah dem small Point roads around the Oval. DAT WAS AH SIGHT. It is my deepest wish that Trinidad and Tobago could generate that kind of football excitement again, especially now in the age of big money potential for players. Imagine the amt ah money dem old heads coulda make if day had played in these times?Ah ya yay. ;)

Yeah boy pointman you have some good files there and I agree that crowds were much bigger because of the entertainment value of local football in those days. you see what it is like now ? remember when ...my fete match team by the way .... North met south ??? It was blood and sand man !
The Premier leaugue was the last local league to capture that excitement when ASL led by the  not to exclude Falcons ....skills and drills man
Ah still going for Bert Neptune though since most of the time I couldn´t explain what he just did !!!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2006, 07:44:58 PM »

I never forget de lickin technical Institute give we on QRC ground . We lost 9-1 . Peter mitchell beat a player on our team with the greatest beat I have ever seen in football. He faced the player, then picked the ball up with his right foot and presented it to the player. The player came foward to win the ball and he prompty drew the ball backwards stretching the player on the ground. he could not move !! needñess to say the game stopped for a few seconds while everyone tried to figure out what just happened....goes down in my football annals as the greatest and has never been seen since.... My goal was lost in all de excitement !!!!

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2006, 11:23:19 PM »
Some schoolboy dribblers

I was thinking Nixon, but he was more a man that used to blow past men with his speed. Not really a dread dribbler who could put a man on he bottom on the trot, if you see what I mean.

But yeah, "the general" wasn't easy atall

Yeah Jerron was bad when the ball movin but it had sicker men when the ball dead
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2006, 12:19:37 AM »
David Grimes from de blue thunder. When last all yuh hear dat name? Dat was ah wicked player boi, ah wonder wey he is now?
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2006, 12:36:44 PM »

I never forget de lickin technical Institute give we on QRC ground . We lost 9-1 . Peter mitchell beat a player on our team with the greatest beat I have ever seen in football. He faced the player, then picked the ball up with his right foot and presented it to the player. The player came foward to win the ball and he prompty drew the ball backwards stretching the player on the ground. he could not move !! needñess to say the game stopped for a few seconds while everyone tried to figure out what just happened....goes down in my football annals as the greatest and has never been seen since.... My goal was lost in all de excitement !!!!

Oh shit i remember that game. I eh know that was he. that have to be one nasty thing to do to ah man. that tec team was very good though. Spanner, was on that team too ent.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2006, 12:43:25 PM »
David Grimes from de blue thunder. When last all yuh hear dat name? Dat was ah wicked player boi, ah wonder wey he is now?

No doubt good name yuh call there. all kinda movement, hands flying body all over the place, real big time drbbler.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2006, 01:40:41 PM »
 Best dribbler I see was Kester Cornwall for St. Benedicts...That man was bad

Offline prodigy23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2006, 02:09:27 PM »
Keron Cordner & Akil Jules. :whew:  BIg all d tranquil men

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2006, 05:13:38 PM »

Oh shit i remember that game. I eh know that was he. that have to be one nasty thing to do to ah man. that tec team was very good though. Spanner, was on that team too ent.

Spanner didn't play on that team he had left the year before I think.....was a good thing though. We beat favourites 2-0 on their ground to play that game. I still remember the skills of fat man thorpe and mitchell

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2006, 05:21:17 PM »

Spanner didn't play on that team he had left the year before I think.....was a good thing though. We beat favourites 2-0 on their ground to play that game. I still remember the skills of fat man thorpe and mitchell

Sorry de name left out was QRC !

Offline Foreigner

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2006, 06:15:08 PM »
Richard Sutherland and Brewster.  Suths as he was called was from Penal and played for Presentation Sando during the 70's.  Anyone here know or saw him play?

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2006, 07:05:11 PM »
Richard Sutherland and Brewster.  Suths as he was called was from Penal and played for Presentation Sando during the 70's.  Anyone here know or saw him play?

yes he also played for San Do Technical with Spanner, Mitchell etc. he was deadly. I remember a game where they were tapping up somebody and Sutherland make a hand stand and trap ah ball. Man eh play dey laugh in de park that day nah
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2006, 07:06:32 PM »

Yeah de fat man went Thorpee went St Benedicts before Tec.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 07:57:38 PM by Tallman »
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2006, 10:16:46 PM »
Richard Sutherland and Brewster. Suths as he was called was from Penal and played for Presentation Sando during the 70's. Anyone here know or saw him play?
I never see Sutherland play...But I play with his son at Pres...The man had control for days and his passing was incredible...He had both feet...His son is probably the smartest player i have ever come across...a true maestro....He could have walked on under 17 2001 easy...But then again south men don't get pick...I only hear about Richard Sutherland

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2006, 03:47:26 AM »
Plucky Harewood.

Me, when ah fall asleep watching TV after some beers  :beermug: :beermug:
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2006, 10:14:49 AM »
Bert Neptune. I think he blow out his knee playing for the National Team up in the Velodrome.
Dat man was sick. Best I ever see.

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2006, 11:12:12 AM »
Some schoolboy dribblers

No school boy dribbler list cyah be complete without Clint Marcelle!
Toujour Pret!

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2006, 01:17:21 PM »
Some schoolboy dribblers

No school boy dribbler list cyah be complete without Clint Marcelle!

Arnold Dwarika (Malick early 90's).....it eh seem dat Dwarika was goin Malick for donkey years....I could be wrong but I sure I see footage of him playin against Clauzel   ;D
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

MickeyRat

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2006, 01:20:23 PM »
R. Latapy
Colin Rock
Larry Paul  ;D

1]; } ?>