April 28, 2024, 05:42:25 PM

Author Topic: SWO Exclusive Interview with TD Lincoln Phillips Part 2.  (Read 15827 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
SWO Exclusive Interview with TD Lincoln Phillips Part 2.
« on: January 19, 2006, 01:42:24 PM »
Exclusive Interview with TTFF TD Lincoln Phillips.
Interview Conducted By Flex Mohammed.

SWO - 1. Judging from reports. I read that the just concluded Youth Training Camp (YTC) was very successful. Are you going to have any more camps coming up ? and if yes, when, how often and where.
Also, from what I understand, these players called were mainly to identification, evaluation, and tracking of players for the purpose of supplementing and preparing under 23 National team for the 2006 CAC games, 2007 Pan American Games, and 2008 Summer Olympic Games. Knowing that T&T is always or most of the times under prepared for tournments. What is your next step in preparing the said teams.
LP: Yes, the camp was a resounding success and an excellent kickoff event for GOAL 2014, which is my vision to have every national team from T&T qualify for every FIFA tournament by 2014. In the past, we have had all of these talented players go off to college and then we lose track of them even though they frequently come back for holidays. I felt we needed to have a camp over the Christmas break in order to take a look at the overseas based and local-based U21 players becuase these young men will form the nucleus of our 2010 team.. Because of the size of our country, we need to cast a wider net when we identify and track players. There are a number of excellent players from Trinidad and Tobago who reside in the US, Canada, and UK. This camp will now be an annual event and marks another first in a number of initiatives I have implemented since coming on board.
I also want to thank you Flex and the members of the site for providing us an excellent list identifying the US-based college players. Socawarriors.net played a large part in the success of the U21 camp. I am also in the process of accumulating a list of overseas-based U12-U19 players so hopefully we can get an even more comprehensive list of players from those age levels. As for addional camps, there are a number in planning. Jabloteh has been gracoius enough to accept our invitation for a practice match and we will play on Saturday Jan. 21 at the Larry Gomes Stadium at 9am. I am very encouraged at this collaboration becuase the professional clubs are a key partner in the development of all our players and any opportunity for the clubs and federation to work together must be embraced because everyone benefits.
We are also preparing a mid-February U21 camp and looking at the possbility of conducting this camp in Florida. I have already spoken with the Kansas City Wizards of MLS to play a practice match in Tampa and hope we get three additional games during what could be a 10-day camp. There will be a number of MLS teams training in Florida around the same time. The upcoming CAC qualifiers in March and finals this summer require this level of preparation. In the past, we have lost games because of the lack of preparation. This will not happen under my watch.
As Leo Beenhakker mentioned in December when he asked where are the youths, we must prioritze our youth teams and ensure they are adequately prepared. This, of course, requires money and the initial funding from the SPORT Company as well as the increased visability Trinidad and Tobago earned with our world cup qualification should enable our national teams to make a good run at achieving the mission set forth in GOAL 2014. Of course the women's program is enjoying a good run. They performed well in the CFU qualifiers and the increased resources and opportunities I have been able to acquire will hopefully bring continued positive results from our womens teams.

SWO - 2. You and your associates saw some 75 plus players during the YTC. Do you think you identified any players that possess the caliber of players such as Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy and Shaka Hislop.
LP: We actually saw 112 players. There were a number of promising players on display. Kevon Neaves made an impression from beginning to end and in my opinion he was the best player.
I've suggested to Leo that he should take a look at Kevon. Judah Hernandez looked very good. Makan Hislop was very strong and commanded the back very well. Yohance Marshall and Kareem Smith also looked good in the defense. Hayden Tinto came on towards the end of the camp and Shane Calderon was very sharp in his finishing. Kendall Jadeosingh and Abiola Sandy were promising at midfield. Ironically, we have some work in the goalkeeping department. As a goalkeeper, this will be addressed with a series of goalkeeping training camps. I will develop a goalkeeping staff and we will conduct a series of clinics throughout the country.

SWO - 3. Can you tell us who you think were the top 6 players on the YTC under 21 team and, and give us a breakdown on each individual player you choose, in other words, why did you pick these certain players.
LP: I wouldn't rank the players. We are still early in the screening and there are at least 10 players who weren't able to attend the camp that we will like to see in our next camp.

SWO - 4. Can you tell us who you think were the top 6 players on the YTC under 23 team and, and give us a breakdown on each individual player you choose, in other words, why did you pick these certain players.
LP: Same as the U21 team, it is difficult to rank so early in the screening process. The player selections were actually the job of the coaches and evaluators. I provided some input. However, it was interesting  that when the selected player list from the coaches, evaluators, and myself was compared there was only 4 discrepencies. That is how we selected 34 players instead of 28 so it was satisfying that everyone was in accordance with what to look for in players who will don our national shirt.

SWO - 5. Were there any foreign born players in the YTC and, who were they.
LP: Threre were two players from Canada: Kyle Hall and Justin Hay. Both looked good especially considering they were among the younger players. Stephen De Las, who is now based in the UK, didn't get selected for the final list but he is very young and we will continue to keep our eye on him.

SWO - 6. Was the local players called the same level as the US/Canadian based.
LP: Of the final 34 players selected, 18 players were local-based so yes the local players held their own. We have a nice mix of overseas based and local based players.

SWO - 7. Do you think the Secondary School Football League should be longer in order to help keep our future youth players fit and more interested in the game.
LP: No. In fact I think the players are engaged in too many games. You have to remember that these are children we are talking about yet they are expected to sometimes play 3-4 a games a week during the SSFL season and some coaches require the players to attend practices in the off-season. The mission of the schools is to educate our young people and we cannot forget that the young men and women who play for their schools are called student-athletes.
I would like to coordinate a development program with the SSFL and the local clubs. In most countries, player development is the domain of the clubs. In smaller countries, the federations play a larger role in player development but the clubs and secondary schools must work together with our federation in order to properly serve our young players.

SWO - 8. The Tobago School League is not that competitive. The league where you have 2 teams dominating year in year out. Do you have any plans to help improve the school league in Tobago.
LP: The situation in Tobago will be always challenging because of the limited player pool. There are larger countries whose professional leagues have been traditionally dominated by two teams; River Plate and Boca, Barcelona and Real Madrid, AC Milan and Juventus etc. If more players from Tobago are exposed to player development programs from early on, the player pool will naturally expand. What we have to do is continue to take steps within our national programs to provide the necessary financial assistance to ensure the best players from Tobago are exposed and able to attend training camps in Trinidad.

SWO - 9. I think at the end of the SSFL season we should pick an All-Star 20 man team and try to play, not, just the Jamaican teams, but other concacaf teams as well. A youth tournament that is hosted in one country every year which runs for maybe one week or so. We can find out the schedule of other interested schools in concacaf at the beginning of the year and try to run each school league on the same time frame every year. This will insure that the interested schools in concacaf finish their season at the same time making this tournament very possible. Can you touch on this.
LP: What you're describing is a national team tournament. Yes, we should take more tours and it is imperative that our players are provided international exposure as early as possible, especially South and Central America. We should also invite teams to come here. We have wonderful stadiums and an excellent athletic infrastructure. But Flex, I'll do you one better; one of my proposals for my 2006 initiatives is to bring back the North -South Classic.

SWO - 10. Did the under 23 & under 21 players/teams during the YTC played any games, if so, against whom, what was the final scores and who scored for both teams.
LP: Yes, the U21s played against a selection of U23s on the final day of the camp. The games consisted of three 45 minute periods. In fact we did not really keep score as the focal point was not competition but rather the identification of talent but the U21s were just as competitive as the U23s. There were some U23s that showed well. Stephen Cruikshank was very effective on the flank and Darryl Roberts and Osei Telesford dominated the midfield. We felt the U21 camp was a good first step in identifying the best U21 talent that will position Trinidad and Tobago to qualify in March and win in the CAC finals, Pan-American Games in 2007 and Olympics in 2008. Once we do this, the team will be poised to make a run to qualify through the front door for 2010.
We must embrace a new attitude that includes an expectation to win competitions and must no longer be satisfied with moral victories. That is what GOAL 2014 is about and the only way we can achieve its mission is to have our teams step on the field with the expectation of winning the match.

Under 13 and Under 18 players interested in playing for T&T can visit www.trinsport.com. Fill out the form there and get your chance you represent T&T.

Thank You...
Lincoln Phillips.

Note: On behalf of the Soca Warriors Online I just what to say Thank You to Mr. Lincoln Phillips for taking the time to do this interview for us. Please keep up the great work you are doing and we all wish you all the best in the future of T&T football...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 03:17:38 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Warriors Online Exclusive Interview with TD Lincoln Phillips.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 01:46:58 PM »
 :applause:

Well done Flexos

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 01:50:04 PM »
GREAT INTERVIEW Flex!!  Thanks for the insights and ideas Mr. Phillips!  Keep tings goin strong!!

Respeck again Flex!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 01:58:10 PM »
Great Interview....
Thanks Mr.Phillips & Mr. Flex

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 02:00:57 PM »
Sweet! Ah like de way dis man moving. One question though. When he talk about bringing back de North/South classic, is he talking about at a Pro/club level or at de Secondary schools level?
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 02:05:32 PM »
Good Job Flex

I really think that LP is focused on developing the youth. I like what I hear and hopefully we could get things on track especially the clubs working with the schools in order to give the youths more options.

Offline doublesandsolo

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 02:09:04 PM »
Lincoln Phillips is a BOSS! I real impressed wid this man and he developmenyt plan for TNT. I think women's soccer needs some impetus for the powers that be.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 02:48:01 PM »
well done flex ;D

flex i remember asking question 7 on de board a couple weeks ago. glad to see yuh ask him that ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 02:54:29 PM by morvantman »
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 02:49:53 PM »
GOOD STUFF FLEX...TIGER HEAD IN DE RIGHT PLACE....I SAT AND SPOKE WITH HIM A COUPLE TIMES BEFORE....AND HE TAKES HIS JOB VERY SERIOUS....HE WANT THE BEST FOR US AND DONT LIVE IN DE LIMELIGHT...LIKE SOME OTHERS....HE SCARED ME ONCE...CHECK DIS STORY....AFTER WE GET DE 5 FROM GUATEMALA....I WAS IN A GAS STATION THE NEXT MORNING....FUMING FROM DE RESULT....I SAW IAN CHALA DORE....AND I SAID BERTILLE HAVE TO GO BOY CHALA...AND CHALA POINTED TO HIS CAR AND SAID..." TELL HE DAT "....AND IT WAS TIGER IN DE CAR ...AND HE SAID " NO NO...BERTILLE NOT GOING ANYWHERE"" THATS NOT THE ANSWER "...   well i guess time did tell.....but tiger is doing a great job...lets hope the politics stay out of it.....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 04:01:13 PM »
Great interview Flex, thanks LP for your time and wonderful insight.

Big Up De youths!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 10:25:24 PM »
LP have what is called foresight.

Something that is lacking in every aspect of Trinidadian life. Be it sport or otherwise.

Més que un club.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 10:55:32 PM »
nice interview
i like where LP leading we footballing future. 
I go try to be there in Tampa with meh Warrior Nation flag making noise, hopefully they have the camp otherwise i will look silly there in the stadium by myself.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 11:22:18 PM »
 :applause: :applause: bossman, that was a great interview to say de least, de players listed will be our future with the other players who are de youths on our squad now, truss meh, when blackman come back also, we will have a bomb squad for 2010  :beermug:

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 05:51:54 AM »
Lincoln is always a level headed cool intelligent person..

Great interview Flex.

Lincoln thanks for your time and support to de sw.net website.....

Where u lead many will follow, T&T in good hands.

I hope you get the support to do your job to your best....

That camp in florida sounding sweet........ I hope it comes through... yuh know it have men in de TTFF will try to hold yuh back and thief yuh sweet ideas..... like Anton Corneal who getting all de credit for this training camp (Project 2014)...... and he did nothing...... when Lincoln was de man who had the camp.... and NOT Anton.....

PS: We need left footers, then Kevon Neaves is de man to bring on de senior team, maybe Serginho Sandy too.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 05:56:04 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 09:34:30 AM »
Wondferful job TD...

I wonder however if he has a protege....cause when he leaves we will need someone with the same attitude, know how and devotion to fill his shoes...
Warrior For Life !!

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 12:25:01 PM »
Lincoln is always a level headed cool intelligent person..

Great interview Flex.

Lincoln thanks for your time and support to de sw.net website.....

Where u lead many will follow, T&T in good hands.

I hope you get the support to do your job to your best....

That camp in florida sounding sweet........ I hope it comes through... yuh know it have men in de TTFF will try to hold yuh back and thief yuh sweet ideas..... like Anton Corneal who getting all de credit for this training camp (Project 2014)...... and he did nothing...... when Lincoln was de man who had the camp.... and NOT Anton.....

PS: We need left footers, then Kevon Neaves is de man to bring on de senior team, maybe Serginho Sandy too.

I think Hayden Fritzwilliams is the guy for the left side. He is very quick and a good finisher, He was also very succesful with signal hill and all American in US college soccer. I don't know how men en't calling this man. He playing pro in Canada as we speak.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 02:53:38 PM »
This is why I prefer LPs to CDs! They last longer and are not as easy to pirate!
Anton and Alvin allyuh cool allyuh self and stop trying to pirate this LP and take credit for his ideas, planning and execution before we have to execute allyuh, talk dun! :D 8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline TriniSol_Campbell#

• New Warrior
  • Best Footballer and Idol
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 05:57:09 PM »
I never met Mr Phillips and he probably don't know this but he was a key role in helping me get a scholarship to the US fours years ago when he was at Howard as the GK coach.  I think I was lucky my father knew him from school days at St. Mary's.  But one thing I have to say is for the U23 players or even players like myself who are 23......is there going to be another camp for this age group?  I understand the main focus is the U21 which it should be but what happens to the eligible players in this category?  I have been speaking with someone from this site about some other young Trini's in NY, Atlanta, and Miami.  There s a group that puts together a round robin type tournament in Miami.  The last time we, the trinidad representative team, played JA and a Haitian team.  It was a good idea however could have used some more help....possibly some help from the TTFF.  I suggested to this person on the board that since it seems that he has direct contact with LP that this idea be brought across since they could probably link up with the individuals who put on this tournament in Miami, that way moneies could be split, talent could be viewed in the States, and the individuals who put on the tourny could have a more professional camp.  The person on this site never replied to my email sent on the 27th of Dec 2005.  I don't understand when people are begging to help and exploring all avenues that other people seem to be fightin them down. 

On a another note abiola Sandy is a good selection on that list.  He may need to put a bit of weigth but very skilled and quick and seems to just run all day.  I hope that bowling green team improves however so he has more of a chance to be seen.

Good interview Flex

TriniSol
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 06:05:50 PM by Tallman »
Must put in d wuk

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 03:58:27 AM »
TriniSol_Campbell#, the TTFF not helping anyone, they only help themselves...

By the way Flex.. Excellent work ! Excellent interview !

Thank you to both !
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 04:01:15 AM by Flex »

Offline TriniSol_Campbell#

• New Warrior
  • Best Footballer and Idol
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 10:54:18 AM »
Sando if that is true that is sad considering the amount of people who are willing to display their talent just to get seen.  You tellin me from Canada you only could find 2 guys to be represented at the u21 camp in Dec.?  Whoever provided those names didn t do no kind of extensive research to get the most names of u21 kids for that camp. 

All the best for those this new year.

TriniSol
Must put in d wuk

Offline Guapo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2006, 08:14:18 PM »
We need world class people to take us to world class heights. Case in point - Leo. These are examples of men who have been there, and, know what it takes to get there. These are coaches who can watch a player, and in a relatively short space of time - have a great sense for the potential that exist in a players. The next step is to get these players together and get them working much like the US does with their u15 and u17 teams.. We need a National Academy in T&T that will identify the best players that we have very early on - it's goal should be the development of highly gifted players in core elements of the game: Strength, tactics, technique, psychology(bad mind) and education. This is some of what Lincoln and Anton and all the rest of the foreseers should be working on implementing. 

I've been around people like Lincoln, Anton and so forth, not sure they have the level of insight and experience needed to harness and develop players needed to play international football. Don't kill meh, for it's just an opinion.

Guapo.

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2006, 09:01:15 PM »
Guapo, Yuh first mistake is to put Lincoln and Anton in the same class. Lincoln been involve with the int'l game with the US fuh years. What has Anton done? Has he won anything? Second, yes yuh opinion is yuh right but oh gosh know what ya talkin 'bout nah. The TD is the best ting to happen to T&T football. You think the wc qualification an Lincoln coming back a coincidence? He bring beenie when jack was looking at atkinson and other english coaches. For the first time, we have a plan in place for our younger teams. He gettin more money for the women and spent the last year licensing coaches so our youth will be exposed to up to date training. What Lincoln needs is a staff of young, energetic, coaches who not only knowledgable about the int'l game but won't undercut him. Imagine, de only thing you reading in the paper is Anton do a good job wit the u21 camp! Every one knows Lincoln put dat whole thing together yet not one mention when beenie back in town. But Lincoln is not only a technical expert, he also have a great deal of credibility and dat is in short supply these days around the TTFF. He's a bridge builder. Imagine, he get millions from PNM for youth development in spite of Jack. And all the players respect him. Ask men like Shaka, Stern, and Dwight.  Nah man, yuh mus be mad. Beenie good but he aint qualify by heself.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 09:27:29 PM by tempo »

Offline Guapo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2006, 11:02:16 PM »
Tempo, yuh points are well taken and I don't want anybody to misunderstand what ah saying. Lincoln is well qualified in his own right. However, if I wanted a good American college coach or someone who can run a local football club, then Lincoln would be an excellent candidate. For the most part, Lincoln's influence in the game has been primarily at the American Collegiate level...........from what I've been told, he's also run one or two Soccer clubs in the States - most recently in Virginia. Ah think he was also involved with the US team as a goalkeeper coach under Bora. Possibly this is the background of someone who is geared with the responsibility of implementing and developing programs that will prepare us for INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL at all levels........you tell me boss?
I looking for someone, the quality of the men that yuh find at AJAX for example, who know what it means to develop and harness talent that could make us a force in football.........of-course it takes money and so forth - but if we serious, this is the ambition that we need to demonstrate. We must capitalize on the momentum generated from qualification. Get CLICO or Carib to pay the salary of a world class football man who could do the job. 
As far as Anton goes, I knew him as a player and he was a very good footballer, plenty technique - as a coach, well I don't know. My first instinct though is to assume that Anton is a product of all that is bad about Trinidad football - make noise when a man mashup a man with a "beat" on the line. Ah not sure if he has the ability to instill and communicate that a good midfielder for instance - is one who may not have destroyed a defender on the pitch, however, he can feel good about his performance because he did all the little things necessary for his team to win today. Anton would ah never put Latas on the bench in Barain, he doh have that kind of strenght.

As far as Dwight and Latas and Stern respecting people, well I can tell you that the only man them fellas respect in Trinidad football is the man Leo, full stop! Dat brethren, is first hand knowledge from inside the camp..........respect.

Guapo.

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 11:55:04 PM »
Your last points are well taken also but what you are advocating is a COACH that can identify and develop talent good enough for the world stage. I think Lincoln's involvement at this point shows he is very aware of the shortcomings facing T&T football and even more important the adaquete solutions. I really don't think he gets enough credit for recognizing that a Dutch coach, and not just any Dutch coach, was the right pick for our warriors. He comes and does this u21 camp which is the first time anyone has ever done such an project and he still succeeds inspire the great deal of interference. So my question is why can't you envision Lincoln with his credibility, proven ability to implement programs and get funding, as well as his knowledge and experience continuing his successful run with a group of top notch COACHES. We can't hand over all technical matters for our entire national program to outsiders. There can be a Dutch or French or even Brazilian influence, but it should be guided by a Trinbogonian. I'm as grateful as anyone else for Beenie's contribution but I don't advocate the colonization of T&T football. So, in our euphoria let's not go overboard and sellout we own. That breds is the true truth. respect.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 03:56:54 AM »
Well said Tempo. I feel that a lot of people fail to realise that Lincoln's job as TD is primarily that of an administrator. As such he has to do pretty much what he is doing now, implementing programs, getting funding, etc. And the man has vision, direction and the ability to build bridges and get things done. On top of that he is experienced and knowledgeable about the game. What more yuh want??
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 10:04:26 PM »
Nice tuh see de interview published in de Guardian. Good one Flex.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 03:36:48 AM »
Nice tuh see de interview published in de Guardian. Good one Flex.

Tallman, yuh doh miss nothing boy, you should change yuh name to TTT..   :rotfl:

Nuf respect Flex....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 10:24:20 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>