April 28, 2024, 11:10:16 PM

Author Topic: Stephen Hart on local football and what Point can teach national fans  (Read 1832 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hart-felt plea: Back the Warriors!
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Trinidad and Tobago senior team coach Stephen Hart has urged local football fans and patriots to show their support for the “Soca Warriors” as the national football team prepares for its first home match under his guidance and just the second for the year.

The Warriors are expected to announce at least two international opponents for FIFA dates in October and November with New Zealand, Oceania’s top team, one of the likely adversaries.

Hart, who steered the Warriors to the July 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinals and third place at the invitational September 2013 OSN Cup, wants local supporters to play their part in the development of the national football team.

“When we play at home, I want to see the football fans come out and support the team,” Hart told Wired868. “I think fans need to understand the role they play in lifting their team. Sometimes, our fans tend to get critical when their team is down. But we need them to encourage the boys and to put pressure on the opposition and the referee.

“We need them to be a twelfth man for us.”

Hart, who grew up in San Fernando, believes south Trinidad club Point Fortin Civic FC has offered a shining example of the type of support needed on Saturday when over 1,200 fans willed the rookie Pro League outfit to a last gasp 1-0 win over North East Stars.

“The Point Fortin fans stuck behind their team and pushed (Civic) forward and got their reward,” said Hart. “The Point support that I saw was absolutely fantastic. They were miles away from home and they came in fair numbers and supported the time right through and that is what football fans are supposed to do.”

Hart suggested local fans sometimes take for granted the sacrifices that Trinidad and Tobago players make to represent their country, particularly in exhibition games.

Last year, Vietnam team Song Lam Nghe supposedly refused to offer a contract to 23-year-old defender Daneil Cyrus unless he promised not to play at the Gold Cup while the same club urged midfielder Hughtun Hector and striker Willis Plaza to skip the tournament.

Middlesbrough right back Justin Hoyte was allegedly also asked to excuse himself from Gold Cup duty but refused.

Hoyte was an ever-present for the English Championship team whenever available last season and made 31 appearances. This season, he has played just once in nine club matches although Middlesbrough is in the bottom half of the table.

“A lot of players make sacrifices to play for Trinidad and Tobago,” said Hart. “Some of them are put under a lot of pressure by their clubs when they ask to represent Trinidad and Tobago. And then they go out there and feel like they are not really being supported and that their work is going totally unnoticed.

“I think at the end of the day, all these boys are hoping for is some love from the people.”

Hart has been a regular feature at domestic football matches this season. He told Wired868 that it was too early to properly judge the standard of the Pro League but he has spotted some positives.

“Some of the teams display good organisation at times,” he said. “There have been some tactical variations too, which are always good. But it is too early to judge because we are just two games into the season.”

He pointed again to Point Fortin’s narrow win over Stars, which was a tight affair with little goalmouth action until the closing seconds of the game.

“Some people were (saying) that the game was a poor game,” said Hart. “But it was a game in which the two teams were nullifying each other. There was a very good compactness between the two teams and breaking down each other was difficult.

“In truth and in fact, that is a good thing.”

Hart declined the opportunity to name any players who have caught his attention just yet. But he has spotted some prospects.

“I have seen a couple faces (that I can add to the national team) but I would like to see them a little more,” he said. “Sometimes you see a player who operates well when he is getting time and space. But when he has to find space for himself or play a bit quicker, he doesn’t do as well.

“And, as you know, the international game is more like that.”

While Hart is urging football fans to wear their hearts on their sleeves, local football president Raymond Tim Kee is desperate for some love from corporate Trinidad and Tobago as well.

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) has been unable to attract a major financial sponsor under Tim Kee, despite the team’s relative successes on the field.

“We have been meeting and making presentations with potential partners and we remain optimistic about the outcome,” Tim Kee told the TTFA Media. “But what I would not like to see happen is that those who are waiting on the right time, do not wait until a month before our first World Cup qualifier for 2018 to tell us that they want to be part of the campaign.”

Tim Kee noted that the major football nations lying in wait for the Warriors benefit from early funding, which is vital to their team’s development.

“This affords the coaches, the players and the governing body to plan and execute (…) without having to worry about a lack of resources or monies,” said the local football president.

The Warriors are expected to announce their next friendly opponents soon.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:59:08 AM by Flex »

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Re: Stephen Hart on local football and what Point can teach national fans
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 10:08:50 AM »
So simple it's complicated. Well said, coach.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:18:12 AM »
Big respect to Hoyte and Cyrus.

Hopefully both will move on to bigger things, especially Cyrus as Hoyte is already established at club level.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 11:29:49 AM »
These allegations of teams urging their players not to represent their country is rather perplexing. On the one hand, the players are the team's assets and I could see their point. From the player's point of view, the team is their 'bread and butter' However notwithstanding these points, is there not a longstanding agreement  with country's, teams and FIFA to allow players the opportunities to represent  their country?

In another aspect,  playing international games, allows the players added exposure especially if they are stuck playing in countries that are emerging/ developing in terms of the game's popularity as oppose to established countries with  leagues that are reknown.  I believe that by allowing players the opportunity  to represent their country, it is a win - win for all- country, team and player. Teams can benefit from transfer fees, players from opportunities and the country from having the best available talent .

To deny players an opportunity and then to turn around and impose sanctions or to have a power play over the player is a travesty of justice. And Yes, I agree with Mr. Hart of fan base and support for the game be it at the regional, local or national level must revert to the glory days in TnT. Maybe with the new direction, teh public will regain a trust with the governing body and their may be less of a thinking that money in the coffers or revenue generated from these games will go back to support the players and respective organizations rather than any individual's private treasury.

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 11:53:39 AM »
Well said from Hart.  And also, there is something that Point Fortin FC is doing right in terms of MARKETING (something I've stressed in other threads) and building fan-pride, that a lot of PFL teams should take note of and learn from. 

Another team that enjoys strong fan support is Guaya (in the Super League I believe).  I know people, just regular fans (women and fellas) not affiliated  with the team, but they organize all de other fans and new fans on the trips to see the team play, even if it's on the other side of the country.  I'm in the US, and one of the fans was trying to organize me come-out to the game the team playing against Defense Force later today.  Some teams are doing the right thing to stir-up local passion, and therefore bring their existing fans to the games, and most importantly, GAIN new fans after game (win or lose). 

This bears repeating...the goal of anyone who 'runs' a team should be to maintain the existing fan-base, AND also to GROW that fan base on a day-to-day, week-to-week, month-to-month basis.     

The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:56:54 AM »
AB clubs urging players not to represent their country is not surprising,it's seems to me nobody has any respect for T&T and it's players,it's like our job is on the line because of where you come from,if we were a force in the region it would help,that's why when we play it's more than just a game.

When you look at it even back home we does have the same problem with clubs preventing players from going to national team practice for some reason or the other,i inparticular remember Fenwick when he was with Jabloteh did not find the national team practice did anything for his players etc etc

Could you imagine players getting little or no money to play Football and clubs depriving them from playing for the national team much less those that pay a salary and depend on your services.

I remember the days when JW used to be clashing with Sir Alex,Roy Keane and them when he wanted Yorke etc etc people on here used to laugh,Roy Keane used to cuss him.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:28:11 PM by Coop's »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 12:26:27 PM »
The importation of players or buying players has killed clubs and supporters in T&T Football,people will support teams from their area that have players from their area,players they know and can relate too.

A perfect example is San Juan Jabloteh,although initially they were a San Juan team with San Juan players,practiced in San Juan etc etc they lost their fan base although they had all the money and success,they imported and paid players and Coach not from San Juan,did not even practice in San Juan,at one time had no supporters.   

Imported players are players who will play for you if there is money or you can find a job etc etc for them,if you notice the trend in T&T players move from team to team every year because of who offering better perks.

It's so difficult for clubs to have a loyal bunch of players today like in the past,instead of every year you continue to develop you always have to start from scratch.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 01:44:58 PM »
If you build it they will come............create a fete environment at matches like they do for cricket at the Oval..........utilize promoters to bring out their party "crews"...........shit use the Mas bands........it's really not that hard to chain up those knuckleheads in Trinidad who pissing away money whole week on boat rides and, bars and lounges..........

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 06:54:18 PM »
If you build it they will come............create a fete environment at matches like they do for cricket at the Oval..........utilize promoters to bring out their party "crews"...........shit use the Mas bands........it's really not that hard to chain up those knuckleheads in Trinidad who pissing away money whole week on boat rides and, bars and lounges..........

Unfortunately, mas bands won't come for free. Promoters won't promote for free. And the danger is, you spend a lot of money that you don't have, to bring limers who won't come back. This whole party idea works at cricket because it's an occasional lime. We need punters to come week in week out for 8 months.
We have to stop looking for short cuts and do like the rest of the footballing world....build a true fan base. We have to start with the kids...get them into the habit of coming to games. Of course, it helps a lot if you play in the heart of your community.
Point Fortin have a fan base that's built up over years. They're not using gimmicks - the fans have a true loyalty to the team. 

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 05:44:59 PM »
I get what you saying and agree with you to a great extent BUT something ingrained in T&T culture makes this almost mission impossible...........man I remember in the late 80's  Morvant savannah use to be ram out for both INTERCOL and local league games......but anyways last weekend I saw a segment on Real Sports on HBO profiling the Seattle Sounders..........it was a real eye opener and based on the segment I never thought I would see this in America........here is a clip http://sports.yahoo.com/video/hbo-real-sports-seattle-sounders-050000847.html

1]; } ?>