April 27, 2024, 07:36:03 AM

Author Topic: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?  (Read 52035 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »
Felziano...  I know you just jealous. There is no proof of what you are saying. But there is more than enough proof of what i am saying. This is nothing to be angry about. You know and every person from the caribbean know that  black folks put Trinidad on the map.

Boy u really make an ass out of yourself:

The Valdez brothers
The Price Brothers
Bovell
Naipaul
Sonny Ramadhin
Puss Achong
Willi Rodriguez
Charlie Davis
Lee Heung
Raul Garib
Minshall
Joey Carew
Stollmyer
Dinesh Ramdhin
Ames
Maria Nunes
Lock Jack (sp)
The Samaroos
S. M. Jaleel
The Ayoung family in hockey

Now, no one is doubting the immeasurable contribution made by Africans to TT.

But to say that "black folks put Trinidad on the map," is a comment steeped in ignorance.

Peace,
VB
Thanks for that list VB..ah was now making up one for Selwyn Cudjoe dey lol

and dont forget Sundar Popo..inventor of Chutney and samuel selvon

aye Selwyn..yuh forget to put Abu Bakr on yuh list of black people putting we on the map lol
and for the record i did say i wasnt indian..so all that shit you say i feeling dont really pertain to me..alright

I deliberately left out contributors to Chutney music, so he could get the picture.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline firebun

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2006, 04:27:29 PM »
Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?

On a point of intellectual curiosity, why not Soca-Chutney Warriors instead of "Soca Warriors"?
"Here every creed and race finds an equal place." Am I correct? It does not matter that there are no Indians on the national football team: that is quite irrelevant. That is so because there no Indians skilfully worthy of playing football at this level and by extension being able to make the World Cup squad. But to sell us to the world by using a term which expresses only part of our culture is abominable.
How would the USA name their team and sell it to the world under similar circumstances? "Rock Warriors?" "Hip Hop Warriors?" "Jazz Warriors?" "Pop Warriors?" Or would they find an all-inclusive name which expresses their diversity of its white, black, Asian, Hispanic population?
In South Africa, there has been something called "affirmative action" which, simply put, was designed to give blacks their rightful position/place in the society. Hence, the rise of Black fast bowler Ntini and others on the cricket team, thereby transforming an exclusively white team into something more akin to the real South Africa.
It is quite the opposite with cricket in T&T: there are more Indians on the national team at the moment and even the captain Daren Ganga is Indian. Are we to call them "Chutney Cricketers"? Even the WI cricket team are led by two Indians Shiv Chanderpaul and Ramnaresh Sarwan. Chutney cricketers?

Anil Mahabir
Cunupia
Trinidad Express Newspapers.

yeah, I see dis crap in the newspapers.  There are always some people bent on making race an issue in everything.  These Gopio people come talking crap too.  Jes now dey go say why not call Brian Lara, Brian Ali-Singh Lara! or call de West Indies - West Indiandes

ah set ah racial mudder bleep bleep bleep >:(
ah fed up ah the race thing!  >:(  all ah we is one regardless ah wedder we put chutney or not!  all these education people jes looking for popularity :yapping:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 05:00:00 PM by firebun »

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2006, 04:39:09 PM »
wait nah..what bout Lawrence Duprey and Clico..Angustura..and Sabga and them with Carib..ent them thing world famous too..Selwyn?..ah go claim them for my side of the story lol
wait nah..Harold La Borde and he wife Kwai..boy you is a real joker yes lol..i really want to know where u went to school and learn only 'half' of our historsy..steups
just out of curiousity...what race is Lawrence Duprey?
boy me ent know for sure..but he look mixed to me..what race u think he is btw?

well boy, race is such a funny thing eh. In Trini we have our own set of definitions and somewhere else they will have another. By American standards Duprey is black, by our standards he "mix up" ;D. I guess the most important thing is how Lawrence defines himself...my guess is he'll probably say he's just "Trini".
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2006, 04:55:44 PM »
Toppa, Before you get your panties in a bunch I was referring to the statement:
" It leaves me to wonder whether the Hindu population are ardent supporters of football? Knowing many Hindu Trinidadians the choice of sport happens to almost always be cricket."

I was NOT speaking about "denying anyone's ancestry ", I was refering to why should one have to play, practice, support a sport they simply have no interest in for the sake of racial/political correctiness. Everyone as with everything in life has there preference.....jus like chololate or vanilla icecream.....only you would choose to see the same ice cream in terms of blk and white......just as you chose to see it in my argument

Well if dise wha yuh was referring to, yuh should have used the quote feature, cos it look like yuh come een real outta timing.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2006, 05:28:32 PM »
JUST TO SQUASH ALL THIS RACE TING THAT HAVE PEOPLE UPSET WHAT IF WE JUST USED AH ANIMAL MASCOT LIKE HOW CAMEROON HAVE THE LIONS AND NIGERIA HAVE THE EAGLES...MAYBE WE COULD BE DE TRINI FIGHTING 'GUANAS OR THE TRINI CONQUERING 'GOUTIS, OR DE TRINI INVINCIBLE MAPEPEES ;D JUST AH THOUGHT.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2006, 05:31:57 PM »
what bout ah dancing breadfruit?
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2006, 05:36:25 PM »
yeah, leh we geh something everybody could identify with...breadfruit, melonjin, kisskidees, bake and shake,ah madbull kite something real PC ::)

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2006, 05:37:23 PM »
what bout ah dancing breadfruit?

*DEAD*
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Auburn Trini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2006, 06:41:03 PM »
Interesting but I remember in an interview I saw with David Rudder he said the title "chutney soca" is somewhat redundant, because soca in it's early roots incorporated may indian elements and beats.... what does this tell us.... I guess that soca also represents the indain population....
Correct me if I'm wrong... that's just what Rudder said on the Carnival Exposed 2004 DVD....
But really it don't matter what the warriors are called..... Once they wear the red white and black... they still OUR warriors....
I go get vex if they called the Dancehall Warriors though....

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2006, 06:42:34 PM »
Football Prof...yuh is now de biggest arse on de Forum...de undisputed champion.  Ah go leave yuh alone from now but now you is de man...some people here cyah wait to see yuh next post.  :)

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2006, 07:46:25 PM »
Steups...de last one to talk bout race is you...fine yuh like Maradona...but do we have to look at dat racist uniform at a time when de Warriors qualify fuh de WC...eh crapaud de tuttifruity or whaever yuh calling yuhself these days?  Ah feel is de bamsee squeezers yuh like.  Show some solidarity wit de warriors nah...gosh man some of allyuh waggonist is sumting else oui.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 12:04:28 AM by Savannah boy »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2006, 09:03:14 PM »
Letters to the Trinidad Express

As if there is not enough confusion surrounding Jack Warner, the PNM, the UNC and a reporter from your newspaper, up comes something else to add fuel to the fire.

I refer to a letter written by one Anil Mahabir questioning why our footballers are called the "Soca Warriors" and not the "Soca-Chutney Warriors" (Express, January 7).

I think we all know where Mr Mahabir is coming from, even those who would support his silly and very useless gripe. Come now Mr Mahabir, stop being petty and together let's stand behind OUR team. The name they go by doesn't matter, does it?

TJ
Toronto

All-inclusive Warriors

Firstly, now that Trinidad and Tobago's sporting and voting citizens have been exposed to the chameleon-like and megalomaniac-type personality that Jack Warner is, do we-PNM, UNC, MDT, NAR and NOTA (None of the Above) supporters-seriously want him to play a role in the political, hence social and economic, development of our country?

Secondly, Anil Mahabir is quite correct in asking "Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?" (Express, January 7).

I would like to include the following to any new name that is bestowed on our football heroes: Soca-Chutney, Foreign-based, Christian, Muslim, KFC-loving, Pan Fanatic, Gold Chain and Earring-wearing, Some Ghetto-originating, Talented and Skilled Trinidad and Tobago National World Cup Qualifying Football Warriors. I apologise if I have excluded any sections of our diverse, all-inclusive national community.

John Henry
Petit Valley
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 09:05:24 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2006, 08:40:17 AM »
Interesting but I remember in an interview I saw with David Rudder he said the title "chutney soca" is somewhat redundant, because soca in it's early roots incorporated may indian elements and beats.... what does this tell us.... I guess that soca also represents the indain population....
Correct me if I'm wrong... that's just what Rudder said on the Carnival Exposed 2004 DVD....
But really it don't matter what the warriors are called..... Once they wear the red white and black... they still OUR warriors....

i agree with rudder.

i believe what many regard to be the first soca tune was ras shorty i's (then lord shorty) "Om Shanti". it had indian music in it.

nowadays that would probably be regarded as a chutney tune i suppose. i eh know. i doh listen to chutney. i find it extremely annoying.

btw, who de jail is selwyn cudjoe?

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: What's in a name?
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2006, 09:01:07 AM »
I would like to include the following to any new name that is bestowed on our football heroes: Soca-Chutney, Foreign-based, Christian, Muslim, KFC-loving, Pan Fanatic, Gold Chain and Earring-wearing, Some Ghetto-originating, Talented and Skilled Trinidad and Tobago National World Cup Qualifying Football Warriors.
John Henry
Petit Valley

Did this man purposely leave out Hindus or was it a subconscious recognition that Hindus aren't supporting the warriors?  :thinking:
TriniInfinite and MidKnight....contact the man for allyuh research and thesis.

Offline CAPITANO

• Full Warrior
  • I heart zaboka
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2006, 09:53:37 AM »
Tuh stop all this talk about about race and ting, they should just do one ting, name the team after the original Trinis.

what about De Fighting Caribs or De Astonishing Arawaks.

Wait til the spanish community in Trinidad ready tuh make noise too
what allyuh tin bout "de Invincible Cocoa Peyols?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 11:13:48 AM by CAPITANO »
WE JAMMIN STILL!!!!!!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2006, 09:54:56 AM »
what about De Fighting Caribs or De Astonishing Arawaks.

ah like dat.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2006, 10:05:07 AM »
I eh know if somebody say this already because i couldn't readt through every thread on all 5 pages but...

THE NAME WAS OFFICIALLY CHANGED TO SIMPLY WARRIORS !! NO SOCA, CHUTNEY OR OTHERWISE...SO THE POINT IS MOOT !!

The Soca warriors stick but is not official so people could say it if they want, and if u doh want to say ,it don't !!
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2006, 11:19:25 AM »
I eh know if somebody say this already because i couldn't readt through every thread on all 5 pages but...

THE NAME WAS OFFICIALLY CHANGED TO SIMPLY WARRIORS !! NO SOCA, CHUTNEY OR OTHERWISE...SO THE POINT IS MOOT !!

The Soca warriors stick but is not official so people could say it if they want, and if u doh want to say ,it don't !!

They changed it back...OFFICIALLY.

Offline CAPITANO

• Full Warrior
  • I heart zaboka
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2006, 11:49:15 AM »
Felziano...  I know you just jealous. There is no proof of what you are saying. But there is more than enough proof of what i am saying. This is nothing to be angry about. You know and every person from the caribbean know that  black folks put Trinidad on the map.

Please provide some factual evidence to what you are saying. I did. I backed up my argument with specific examples. If you have any examples please provide it. If not, it is just conjecture. There is new word for you  look up.

The reality still stands. Indo Trinidadians did achieve accomplishments, but their accomplishments did not put Trinidad on world stage.  It is nothing to be ashamed of or angry at. We are all Trini. But to use a Darwinian approach to back up your conjecture is beyond childish.

It sounds as if you dont like the fact that there is no indians on the soca warriors. Do you feel left out? I hope you dont suffer an emotional breakdown when the warriors take the field in June. lol.

I have love for all people. But truth is truth whether you like it or not! Furthermore, please educate me. Name five indo trinidadians that have got international recognition in arts, sports or education. I will be more than happy to hear you out.

One love brotha!

so wait nah,
Sundar Popo and Sonny man ain't do nutten for Trini Culture boi!!!!
hmm!!!

I doh know bout allyuh but i like Divali and Eid and seeing ah lil tasssa group out on de road fuh de big African Celebration of Carnival.
steups!!!
Every soca artist in Trinidad including something of Indian influence in they tune.  Sparrow do it, Shorty do it, Machel do it, Bunji doing it this year tuh represent the artform
If yuh ask anybody on the "world Stage" to name food from Trinidad they will mention roti and doubles first

Ah really wonder why Indians don't feel included in anythin Trini, that baffling eh?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 11:59:48 AM by CAPITANO »
WE JAMMIN STILL!!!!!!

Offline ICharles

• New Warrior
  • He who does not look ahead always remains behind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2006, 11:52:09 AM »
RESPECT DUE...RESPECT DUERESPECT DUE...RESPECT DUE
If we could all gave Soca the respect that is due to the art form we would easily see that all creed and race have found their equal place in the Soca culture, Indians inclusive.  Once that understood, the coining of the name "Soca Warrior" will be understood.  And in any case, what is the worth of changing something that has not outlived the usefulness.

Peace without the grease

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2006, 11:57:14 AM »
hOW BOUT THE NAME... SOCA PARANG CHUTNEY PAN DEY WARRIORS.... MAKE YA FEEL BETTER??

:rotfl:

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2006, 12:45:14 PM »

Papa........dey change it back to Soca Warriors right before de Bahrain match .
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2006, 12:54:11 PM »

This is true as I saw an interview ( over 6 years ago) with Rudder inwhich he said Soca is a fusion of  calypso and indian music so he couldn't understand the name chutney soca..

And personally I saw an interview with Ras Shorty I saying that soca was Indian and Calypso music in one .

Soca is a representation of Trinidad and Tobago and even the Caribbean . Talk done !

Socaman talk to dem fuh we

Hold it dong !

i agree with rudder.

i believe what many regard to be the first soca tune was ras shorty i's (then lord shorty) "Om Shanti". it had indian music in it.

nowadays that would probably be regarded as a chutney tune i suppose. i eh know. i doh listen to chutney. i find it extremely annoying.

btw, who de jail is selwyn cudjoe?

Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2006, 01:02:24 PM »
First we need to understand how the name SoCa came about.....it was derived from 2 of our artforms:

KaiSO & CAlypso which came to be know as SOCA
Warrior For Life !!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2006, 01:04:18 PM »
First we need to understand how the name SoCa came about.....it was derived from 2 of our artforms:

KaiSO & CAlypso which came to be know as SOCA

ammmmm..... no
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2006, 01:07:20 PM »
ummmmmmmmm arseholes the name is warriors and it was changed on ash wednesday last year.

people just didnt listen and kept on using soca but keep all allyuh stupid racial letters in yuh backpocket.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2006, 01:09:39 PM »
ummmmmmmmm arseholes the name is warriors and it was changed on ash wednesday last year.

people just didnt listen and kept on using soca but keep all allyuh stupid racial letters in yuh backpocket.

ammm... Jack Warner of the JWFF changed it back to Soca Warriors morvantman....

de amoutn ah time you does be on this board... ah thought yuh woulda be on top of dat

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2006, 01:11:52 PM »
them didnt change it back on purpose. iz people keep on using the name regardless and they were forced to keep it.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2006, 01:14:45 PM »
them didnt change it back on purpose. iz people keep on using the name regardless and they were forced to keep it.

what is your point?

It was changed back? No?

Offline Yellowman

• Jr. Warrior
  • Warrior 4 Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2006, 01:15:24 PM »
Everybody putting their 2 cents...so here's mine......some people say it before.... the word SOCA have nothing to do with race ...so why make it a racial issue....is true everyone have they own opinion and I respect that..but people taking this thing too far...Let's just enjoy the fact that sport [in this case football] unites a nation... people enjoy when a player of any sport makes a good play cause that is what it is all about...it's how you play the game not who's playing it...
Trinidad & Tobago in the 2006 World Cup Finals?...Impossible Is Nothing...

1]; } ?>