April 28, 2024, 06:19:52 AM

Author Topic: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?  (Read 52084 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Add Chutney to Soca Warriors
« Reply #240 on: January 28, 2006, 10:20:43 PM »

also, if i in a fete and a DJ put on a chutney song, is carib bottle flying towards he ass! i hate it!

That was uncalled for Andre..you can't fight BS with BS, chaitan talk tata, but doh let dat bring out hate in you. chutney is we music too and it have some hot ones out there..it have shetee soca too, but nobody pelt the DJ.

Big Up!

Wiser words have never been spoken...

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
Re: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?
« Reply #241 on: January 29, 2006, 12:14:39 AM »
nuff respect to debbie jacobs.

this shit thread need to be deleted.

da woman is meh english/lit. teacher.

lawd have mercy.

brilliant woman.

brilliantly mad no ass.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 29, 2006, 12:23:59 AM »
Any time they change that name I not supporting the National Team

???

I know yuh doh really mean dat.

GO SOCA WARRIORS
I don't mean that in a bad way, but I was really upset about that...I really mean I wouldn't buy anything with that STUPID name on it...This thing shouldn't even be an issue...Racism affecting our football too? Is not about sharing...we all from the land of soca and calypso and chutney... If they had said to go back to using the name Strike Squad I might have understood...Go T&T

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Re: Add Chutney to Soca Warriors
« Reply #243 on: January 29, 2006, 04:39:19 PM »
Letter to the Trinidad Guardian

This letter responds to your story on December 19, “Sports play key role in unity—PM.”

I congratulate our Prime Minister for recognising that sports can play a key role in binding our people into the fabric of a rainbow nation.

In ancient times the Greeks and Romans used the Olympic Games for the construction and consolidation of their empires. In modern times the British Empire Games evolved into the Commonwealth Games and is currently used to foster harmony and camaraderie amongst Commonwealth nations. Our nation participates in both the Olympics and Commonwealth Games.

In T&T soca and chutney are indigenous music melodies invented by the two major ethnic groups. All other ethnic groups and races participate in and enjoy these songs. Soca and chutney are part of everyday life of approximately 70 per cent of our people.

The T&T Warriors have diligently positioned themselves for a good run at the football World Cup 2006 in Germany. One hundred per cent of our people are behind the Warriors. Since the Warriors will represent the soca and chutney population, I want to suggest that the powers responsible adopt the name SocaChutney Warriors (SCW) for our team. I believe that the SCW will incise its way far into the World Cup football hierarchy.

Now that a proposed $50 million budget of soca and chutney taxes and petroleum revenues will be dedicated to our team, it will be an appropriate time to consider my proposal.

I am confident that the SocaChutney Warriors could be the long-awaited catalyst required to achieve the elusive national unity.

I will copy this letter to Oliver Camps and Jack Warner and the T&T Football Federation.

Bill Chaitan
Via e-mail

steeeeeuuuupppsss!!!!!! give me ah break!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2006, 08:30:24 AM »
Any time they change that name I not supporting the National Team...Chutney is a hybrid from Soca anyway....That is high class foolishness...That is over doing it...That is not unity...if Chutney is a Hybrid of Soca why not call it Soca Indian music? This whole chutney soca warriors thing promoting racism and seperation...T&T doomed to hell if that name change...
Chutney is NOT a hybrid of Soca. Sudar Popo and others before him were singing  this artform for a long time before Chutney became associated with Soca. In fact, the current incarnation of Chutney is heavily frowned upon by purists/old-timers. I remember people like Sham Mohammed (of Mastana Bahar fame, for those who don't know) strenously objecting to what  they saw as the excessive wining and vulgarity of modern "chutney" music.
- cheers.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
can't let this thread die - but the Caparo has spoken
« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2006, 09:04:25 PM »
Warner: No 'Chutney Soca Warriors'
Ariti Jankie South Bureau

Tuesday, January 31st 2006
trinidadexpress

The word Chutney will not be added to the Soca Warriors .

Jack Warner, President of CONCACAF and First Vice President of FIFA, said yesterday that the name of the national football team would not be changed from Soca Warriors to Chutney Soca Warriors.

He said it was too late for that and even if it could be converted the addition of chutney would only be cosmetic.

Warner was speaking at a football distribution function organised by the Penal/Debe Regional Corporation.

Since the team's historic qualification for the World Cup in Germany later this year there have been calls from several quarters, including the Global Organisation of People of Indian Origin (GOPIO) for the word chutney to be added to the team's name to give what they say would be a truer representation of the nation's main racial groups.

Warner, making it clear that there would be no name change, said that the game must go to the people and the myth that football was for strong, black men must be exposed. He told representatives of primary and secondary schools as well as sports clubs in the region that to play football one must be sensible.

He said that he would finance a training programme for coaches from all the schools and sporting clubs which will then spread the game to the villages.

The weekend programme, he said, would be held at the Rudranath Capildeo Learning Resource Centre, Couva.

Warner said that he has written to T&TEC for large screens to be placed at strategic areas during the World Cup series so that the community would be able to participate and learn more about the game.

"A national footballer must be found in Debe/Penal with the same ease as in San Fernando and Port of Spain," he said.

Warner said that on May 11 the national team will travel throughout Tobago in a motorcade and on May 12 the team will travel through several areas in Trinidad, including Debe/Penal.

He offered financial assistance in the area of maintenance of play fields in the area.

"There is nothing like sport to help fly our country's flag," he said, adding that when the flag flies for cricket it is lost in the West Indies.

FIFA, Warner said, was bigger than the United Nations and in some way "even more wealthy". Warner said that he wanted to bring the benefit of the sport to the people.

He handed out more than 120 footballs at the function, many of which he autographed.

Allen Sammy, Chairman of the Corporation said that Debe/Penal was a cricket area but he also wanted to develop football as well at the 33 recreation grounds and 22 additional grounds in the district.

"Sports will curb crime," he said, adding that Debe/Penal was on a growth path and he wanted to put the area on the map by focussing on "Excellence in Sports."

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2006, 10:42:56 PM »
May be I missed this in the thread but what do the players want the team to be called??

Offline madmonn

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2006, 12:40:38 AM »
Why all the fuss about a name change now where were these ppl / organisations a couple years ago ???????

Nobody was calling for a change in name when de team was taking strain in the Digicel Cup under Bertille .I guess because we on the world stage now every tom, dick and harrilal ( no pun intended) wants to be associated............
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 06:48:51 AM by Tallman »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ras Shorty I turning in grave
« Reply #248 on: February 02, 2006, 09:41:22 AM »
Letter to the Trinidad Newsday

THE EDITOR: Soca Chutney Warriors? Lord Shorty (Ras Shorty I) must be turning in his grave! In case no one noticed, it was the efforts of our ancestral and present footballing heroes who, by their collective footballing skills have brought us to this point — Germany 2006. From Joey Gonsalves to Kelvin Barclay to Kelvin Jack, Stollmeyer to Lawrence, Rodrigues to Birchall, Mulren to Andrews, Archibald to Latapy, De Leon to Yorke, David to John, Khan to Whitley — we have been blessed in this tiny footballing nation with a host of world-class players. "Soca Warriors" is for today (’05) what "Strike Squad"’ was for ’89, and the then CONCACAF powerhouse known then as just "Trinidad and Tobago" was for ‘73 — (our ‘73 heroes, by the way, represented our culture on tour with their own rhythm section after matches; even after our heart-breaking 1-2 "loss" to Haiti!) What was their name then — Trinidad and Tobago.

What is our name today? — Soca Warriors? What would it be in the next sixteen years? — Trinidad and Tobago I hope, not "TT", not Tobago, not Trinidad, not Laventille, not Barrackpore, not San Fernando, not Chaguanas, not Port-of-Spain, not Scarborough, not Icacos and not Charlotteville! Our name is Trinidad and Tobago.

For all Ras Shorty I fought for back in the ’70s — from Endless Vibration to Om Shanti — few people seem to understand that Soca is the ultimate merging of our varied cultural rhythms, entangled with the borrowed soul music of the ’60s and ’70s, with that of a most wonderful internationally established musical genre called Calypso. The morphing of pop Indian music with calypso occurred over three decades ago and has evolved over that time into chutney music. Ever heard of Sundar Popo? ("A scorpion sting me, ah tink ah go dead. . ..")

Stop this nonsense! Soca is Trinidad and Tobago; it is the entirety of who we are, encompassed in one ever-evolving Trinbagonian art form.

One person I know who has no interest in this nickname foolishness, thank God, is Leo Beenhakker. All our coach seems to be interested in is our boys "playing" their "own game."

Birchall and Whitley joined the squad a little late to bring in their special kind of fight and professional technique; Yorke and Shaka held us together and Latapy came and "vibes it up."

Let us sit back and enjoy the skill and character of our players and accept them as Trinidad and Tobago (aka "Soca Warriors" if you may), but please, let good sense prevail while I go and listen to some Stevie Wonder and Ataklan music.

ANDRE STUART REYES
Mt Lambert
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Chutney...only a sauce to others
« Reply #249 on: February 03, 2006, 08:03:29 AM »
I know we should overs this topic eh, and I know this post go get merge but this writer here making plenty sense

Chutney only a sauce to others

Some insecure members of our Indian community wish to put their stamp on the Soca Warriors’ name. Allow me to point out why this would make us look idiotic.

It is a small-island characteristic to assume that the world knows as much about us as we know about the world. For example, most of us here believe the world to be in a constant state of gratitude to Trinidad for inventing things like the pan. In reality, the world thinks pan is a man in a floral shirt busking in the subway. For them, it also makes good elevator music.

Relating this to the football issue, we already have a team name that uses a word unknown in the wider world—soca. Until and unless someone from here makes an effort to explain soca to the world’s press, they will simply think we don’t know how to spell soccer.

To this, some would add the word chutney. Now, as far as the wider English-speaking world is concerned, chutney is not a music form. It’s a spicy sauce you eat with curry.

To sum up: the T&T Soca Chutney Warriors would communicate a team of poorly educated curry fanatics.

Wait, nuh, dat is we! Go Soca Chutney Warriors!

Maurice Scott

St James

Source: Trinidad Guardian

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Chutney...only a sauce to others
« Reply #250 on: February 03, 2006, 08:10:25 AM »
making plenty sense my a$$......

I don't necessarily agree with soca chutney warriors, but that is the absolute worst reasoning against it that I've heard....throw away that article.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 03, 2006, 08:20:59 AM »
Kicker you is a man like arguement here.

Put yuhself in the shoes of a foreigner who doe know shit except how to drop he chirren to school, the mall and the grocery.

Try and view it from that perspective......also you really feel we have a PR thing in place to explain these things to the millions of viewers out there.

Aprreciate different people point of view kicker.....yuh ent have to agree with it, but I find the man making sense....now I could find he making sense and doe agree. But the man ent talking shit....he just bringing another perspective you doe agree with or that people ent explore or understand.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 03, 2006, 08:28:57 AM »
This f**kin ting cum back again???? Yu moderators tek this ting dung nuh dread..Mi tiad hear bout "Chutney Soca warriors"..when we was loosing to teams like SVG nobody was talking bout Chutney now we innah de de wrl cup and mi start hear Bout Chutney...Yow Soca warriors all de way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
warmonga...
Black Lives Matter..

Offline bill

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 03, 2006, 08:29:41 AM »
So wait na... Indian doh listen to soca!!!... WHEY.. now dat is news to me, I guess I only go see one kinna person in de streets for de carnival den!!.
SOCA is we ting, it belongs to all TRINIDADIANS, not one race!!!

Soca Warriors forever!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 03, 2006, 08:31:01 AM »
This man is a c**t who wrote that article...

I find Soca Chutney Warriors sounds stupid whether it made sense or not and we cannot re-name de Soca Warriors,,, that I agree with..... But Chutney is not only a spicy sauce you eat with curry, that is a racsist comment, he knows nothing about indian food and should shut he dam ass because he looking stupid,,, trying to make Chutney look stupid in a smart way, but if it was de other way around them indian dead for saying that,,,, I believe he related to Cro Cro, Socapro, Touches or Sugar Aloes.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 08:33:06 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 03, 2006, 08:37:09 AM »

Put yuhself in the shoes of a foreigner who doe know shit except how to drop he chirren to school, the mall and the grocery.

Try and view it from that perspective......also you really feel we have a PR thing in place to explain these things to the millions of viewers out there.

Aprreciate different people point of view kicker.....yuh ent have to agree with it, but I find the man making sense....now I could find he making sense and doe agree. But the man ent talking shit....he just bringing another perspective you doe agree with or that people ent explore or understand.

we don't need to explain nuttin' to nobody.

The reason we call our team socawarriors has nothing to do with how much the world knows what soca is. That was the name given to the team way before we had any idea how much exposure the team would have to the world....It is simply a catchy nickname that brands our team with a local artform that we believe is representative of the country.....

The writer of that article trying to get technical and use the global insignificance of our culture to explain why chutney is an inappropriate name for our football team ? Whatever......it's our team, and we can call it what we want regardless of how unknown soca and chutney is to the world...So a tiny country with obscure traditions and cultural artforms can't name their squad with anything authentic then ? because the world wouldn't know what it is ? Sorry Touches...that reason is BULL !!

If the world wants to know how the name was derived, then they will do what they have to do to figure it out.

Like I say, there are many arguments for and against including chutney in the name of the squad. That one is one of the worst that I've heard.........

It sounds like he was just trying to be funny anyway.........
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 08:43:23 AM by kicker »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 03, 2006, 08:41:43 AM »
If we didn't make it to de world cup I wonder if they would have still be concern about keeping Soca Warriors,,,,, all of a sudden they proud of Soca in de Warriors and de Soca artist still struggling.... and now de Indian want piece to. It hard for Indian to really get respected in T&T because as soon as T&T make it big in something them creole fighting them down, whether music or sports. No Indian on de team too. They dont complain when Indian copanies sponsor them though.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 08:43:32 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #257 on: February 03, 2006, 08:43:13 AM »

Touches I am not one for arugment on this board, but for real that is a pretty poor line of logic he come up with there.  Do you honestly think that this is what people will think from the name Soca Chutney Warriors
To sum up: the T&T Soca Chutney Warriors would communicate a team of poorly educated curry fanatics.
So now they think we are poorly educated fanatics who cant spell Soccer.

Thats a stretch!!!

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 03, 2006, 09:42:09 AM »
I agree with the idea that it is a stretch (the part about the curry fanatics), but I can say that there are (a few) valid points to the argument. We should ask ourselves though, whose fault is it that the world will not know about what the "Soca" in Soca warriors means? We do not do enough to promote our culture abroad and make it pervasive and immersive. That being said, though, the World Cup is a global tournament covered by seasoned media who are always on the lookout for the "human interest" part of the story. I can't see the global media not doing their homework and letting people know about the significance of our name.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 03, 2006, 09:53:31 AM »
Just like Brazil is known for its Samba soccer, we brand ourselves as the Soca Warriors.  The thing is that soca is an emerging genre of music worldwide.  I bet you after Germany millions more will be interested in coming to Trinidad when they get exposed to a tinge of our culture.  They will also see  the diversity of our peole and how we do mingle more than is normal in other countries.  We need to stop this divisiveness that some people are using to feed their personal agendas.  When I see a sweet woman on the street back home, yuh think I does bawl that is ah sweet Indian, Chinee, White or African.  I does say that is ah sweet thing (please excuse the inanimate reference).  We need to stop letting them men at the top contaminate us with their evil agendas.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 03, 2006, 10:04:40 AM »
You all not reading what the man write,but seeing what y'all want to see. The all the man saying is put yourself in the place of others around the world who knows nothing or little about our culture. We can argue about chutney and soca because we know what they are. Other who take such words to mean different things will see the name differently. Thats all the man is saying.

To this, some would add the word chutney. Now, as far as the wider English-speaking world is concerned, chutney is not a music form. It’s a spicy sauce you eat with curry.

I am convinced that some people here just like to be against anything. The person who wrote the article just saw thing differently from another angle. It do not have to be right or wrong. It's an opinion.

Chill out ppl.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 03, 2006, 11:14:54 AM »
Steups....
Next thing they go want the name changed to the Soca Chutney kibbee casava warriors..
Everybody want to jump on de bandwagon....
I bet yuh some a$$ turn up in Germnay with a soca chutney warriors tshirt...

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 03, 2006, 11:15:48 AM »
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 03, 2006, 12:09:51 PM »
BEFORE ALLYUH SAY AH RACIAL.MY MOTHER IS INDIAN.DE INDIANS BACK HOME WHO BUMPIN SHIT ABOUT CHUTNEY THIS AND CHUTNEY THAT DOH KNOW THE FIRST FUKIN TING ABOUT FOOTBALL.CHUTNEY IS FOR ROTI AND DOUBLES.TALK DONE.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 03, 2006, 12:13:56 PM »
BEFORE ALLYUH SAY AH RACIAL.MY MOTHER IS INDIAN.DE INDIANS BACK HOME WHO BUMPIN SHIT ABOUT CHUTNEY THIS AND CHUTNEY THAT DOH KNOW THE FIRST f**kIN TING ABOUT FOOTBALL.CHUTNEY IS FOR ROTI AND DOUBLES.TALK DONE.

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 03, 2006, 12:25:54 PM »
         I am Indian and I will ONLY support the name Soca Warriors. Remember that name was branded during our WC 2002 qualification attempt in 2000, and NO ONE ever mentioned any blasted thing about chutney then. And most Indians love soca or at least know that it is a good excuse to organise a nice buttocks to jam, so all yuh doh study them yes. We were always knowns as the Soca Warriors and we will ALWAYS be known as that and nothing else!!

Go meh Warriorrs, I am a Soca Warrior I say win or lose I am a fighter!! Is red, white and black women me looking to jam all the time because me done have the Indian one! Now that is the correct Trini mentality!!!  ;D

Jason. yeah yeah!

That wicked in white fete was real real hot last Saturday or gooosh!! The women was real tasty!

8)
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 03, 2006, 12:33:02 PM »
I think the man have a point.

Ah listen to the who first leg of the Bahrain Match with the Soccer Warriors

So he have a point.

99.9% of the people in Germany will think that Soca is how you spell Soccer in Trinidadian.

But Hopefully for those interested enough to learn they will know that Soca is music after the WorldCup.

With regard to the Chutney thing no need to add that to the list.
Most of Trinidad dont even listen to Chutney and that include indian people as well.

Nobody in Germany not intereted in hearing chutney. No need to promote it. It is a wagonist approach.

Soca warriors was the name long before the team get famous so we need to keep it!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 03, 2006, 12:45:50 PM »
All who against the article....good

All who for the article......good

All those who can see the points raised and appreciate the angle the writer coming from......even better.

I posted this because it was totally different from the .....Chutney is Trinidadian too, we want to jump on the bandwaggon, where they was when we was getting licks, and all of the other responses in the other thread or daily newspapers.

I am not here to fuel any political agenda........I does post here for entertainment purposes only, to ketch kix and pass the time.

That said my position is the ones who want Chutney in the name hadda cool it. The race situation in TT is only perpetuated by politicians or organizations who like to cause this devisivness for their own agendas.

However to say race is not an issue is not totally accurate.....people have they sterotypes and chip on the shoulder.......but at the end of the day every ethnic group in the nation feel they is a victim and unfairly treated.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 03, 2006, 12:46:45 PM »
I think the man have a point.

Ah listen to the who first leg of the Bahrain Match with the Soccer Warriors

So he have a point.

but that has nothing to do with anything.........it might be true that soca is relatively unknown, but that is irrelevant.............so NO the man does NOT have a point.

Stating a fact or a valid opinion does not qualify as a point if the fact or opinion is irrelevant.

I still think the article was meant to be a joke
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 12:57:34 PM by kicker »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 03, 2006, 12:49:41 PM »

All those who can see the points raised and appreciate the angle the writer coming from......even better.

All those who appreciate the angle he comin' from need to inform me as to where I could buy a new protractor and compass, because that angle is as far-fetched as I've ever seen.........

There are good arguments against including chutney in our team name....that one in the article is not one of them......I cyah believe big men actually givin' that piece of "logic" any credit.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 12:53:28 PM by kicker »

1]; } ?>