April 19, 2024, 12:55:17 PM

Author Topic: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?  (Read 51828 times)

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Re: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2006, 10:52:11 AM »
Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?

On a point of intellectual curiosity, why not Soca-Chutney Warriors instead of "Soca Warriors"?
"Here every creed and race finds an equal place." Am I correct? It does not matter that there are no Indians on the national football team: that is quite irrelevant. That is so because there no Indians skilfully worthy of playing football at this level and by extension being able to make the World Cup squad. But to sell us to the world by using a term which expresses only part of our culture is abominable.
How would the USA name their team and sell it to the world under similar circumstances? "Rock Warriors?" "Hip Hop Warriors?" "Jazz Warriors?" "Pop Warriors?" Or would they find an all-inclusive name which expresses their diversity of its white, black, Asian, Hispanic population?
In South Africa, there has been something called "affirmative action" which, simply put, was designed to give blacks their rightful position/place in the society. Hence, the rise of Black fast bowler Ntini and others on the cricket team, thereby transforming an exclusively white team into something more akin to the real South Africa.
It is quite the opposite with cricket in T&T: there are more Indians on the national team at the moment and even the captain Daren Ganga is Indian. Are we to call them "Chutney Cricketers"? Even the WI cricket team are led by two Indians Shiv Chanderpaul and Ramnaresh Sarwan. Chutney cricketers?

Anil Mahabir
Cunupia
Trinidad Express Newspapers.

Sam, on the Trini scene I don't think the term Soca refers to only one segment of the population. Soca is for all Trinis and in my opinion so should Chutney. Plus "Soca-Chutney warriors doh have the same flow, it doh roll off your tongue like soca warriors.   
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2006, 11:54:56 AM »
this must be the most schupid thing i ever read.

parang warriors anyone?...but only around Christmas time.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2006, 12:07:52 PM »
alright then...let's say supposedly T&T (after we leave the West Indies) cricket team qualify for the cricket World Cup and they only had East Indians and lets say some of the other minorities..with no players of African decent.

what exactly would some of you all say if someone like Selwyn Cudjoe or Umbala Joseph made similar comments bout not calling the team "Soca Cricketers"?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 12:18:33 PM by Feliziano »
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2006, 12:11:58 PM »
Dey eh qualifing for nuthing because all de local ones fraid pace.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2006, 12:57:33 PM »
alright then...let's say supposedly T&T (after we leave the West Indies) cricket team qualify for the cricket World Cup and they only had East Indians and lets say some of the other minorities..with no players of African decent.

what exactly would some of you all say if someone like Selwyn Cudjoe or Umbala Joseph made similar comments bout not calling the team "Soca Cricketers"?

i think the term soca in soca warriors refers to the music of the country rather than the race of the players.

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2006, 01:08:09 PM »
Soca chutney warriors...please! Everything that put Trinidad on the world stage has been done by people of Afrikan descent. The origins of carnival is based upon Afrikan struggle for liberation. The steel drum was made by people of Afrikan descent. Alot of people in foreign and in Trinidad feel that all races in Trinidad developed carnival and the steel drum as a collective. But that is not true. Carnival and the steel drum originated because of the oppression experienced by Afrikans in Trinidad.  

To call the team soca chutney warriors is a punk off to the Afri-Trinidadian. Soca already emphasizes Trinidad. So soca chutney would only emphasize indo-trinidadians.

Qualification for the world cup is a Trinidad accomplishment , but most of all it is a Afri-Trinidadian or Afri-Caribbean accomplishment ! If anything the Afrikan presence of the team should be emphasized because the whole team is of Afrikan descent (with the exception of one).

I have love for all humans, but to suggest that the team should be called soca chutney warriors is an example of bootlegging. For people who feel that this is racists, this is the truth.  Check your history!

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2006, 01:12:29 PM »
This is a stupid topic...Anil if we call them Soca Chuntey Extempo Kasio Warriors yuh go be happy?? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2006, 01:18:04 PM »
Soca chutney warriors...please! Everything that put Trinidad on the world stage has been done by people of Afrikan descent. The origins of carnival is based upon Afrikan struggle for liberation. The steel drum was made by people of Afrikan descent. Alot of people in foreign and in Trinidad feel that all races in Trinidad developed carnival and the steel drum as a collective. But that is not true. Carnival and the steel drum originated because of the oppression experienced by Afrikans in Trinidad.  

To call the team soca chutney warriors is a punk off to the Afri-Trinidadian. Soca already emphasizes Trinidad. So soca chutney would only emphasize indo-trinidadians.

Qualification for the world cup is a Trinidad accomplishment , but most of all it is a Afri-Trinidadian or Afri-Caribbean accomplishment ! If anything the Afrikan presence of the team should be emphasized because the whole team is of Afrikan descent (with the exception of one).

I have love for all humans, but to suggest that the team should be called soca chutney warriors is an example of bootlegging. For people who feel that this is racists, this is the truth.  Check your history!

aye..we all know the writer talking a pack ah shit bout naming the team soca-chutney warriors.
but i think you way off the mark cause you making a statement similar to him..i ent see what this have to do with Afrikans struggling for freedom and the development of carnival.and you cant call yourslef a Trini if you knit-picking and saying 'everything that done to put Trinidad on the world stage was done by people of Afrikan decent'

i feel you is Selwyn Cudjoe in digsuise lol
Feliz

Offline ballfever

• Jr. Warrior
  • Dream d'dream, live d'game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2006, 01:27:06 PM »

prof, dis post ain't no better dan wha anil write...yuh still tryin tuh hold brief for a particular race, instead ah focusin on nationality. nobody will discount what people of either race have done to contribute to the nation, but that is just not the point!
if yuh check mih heart in mih chest, mix up wit d'red blood, it have a black & white stripe somewhere in dey!.....long b4 foot ball,durin' world cup and after..T&T FOREVER! WE COUNTRY, WE SPIRIT,WE VIBES! WARRIOR NATION!

truetrini

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2006, 01:42:03 PM »

Jit Samaroo tell meh tuh tell yuh hello.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2006, 01:49:14 PM »
Like we forget Rapso or what? We cyah upset Brother Resistance and dem fellas from behind-de-bride ;D

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2006, 02:01:29 PM »
Chutney, Parang, Fry Rice, Cloth Selling SocaWarriors

That would be the most representative name.
TnT Patriot

truetrini

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2006, 02:03:34 PM »
Since URP and Kidnapping is such ah big part ah we national consciousness now..how about.........

dis is so much shot it eh funny at all!

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2006, 02:09:11 PM »

yeah..tell then bout the fella who discover rabies too
i feel yoiu is a Professor of Foot & Mouth yes lol
Feliz

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2006, 02:10:34 PM »
I was just saying the things that has made Trinidad known on the world stage, whether its sports( Hasley, Ato, Lara, Yorke, etc),  arts (Carnival, Soca, Calypso, Steel drum) or scholarship ( CLR James, Tony Martin, Dr Nantambu, Stokely Carmichael aka Kwame Ture, Eric Williams etc) have been accomplishments by Afri-Trinidadians.

I was just using my history to back up my point of why it should not be soca chutney warriors. If we were to use that same logic then the Afrikan presence of the team should be emphasized because of the teams composition.

Felziano you know exactly what I am talking about. I was not saying that this is about Afrikan liberation. All I was saying is that Trinidad has become known internationally because of these accomplishments made by the people I mentioned above.

My question is this ... Why didnt the suggestion to change the name to soca chutney warrors come up before they qualified for the cup? Is it that some people of indian descent feel left out, because no one on the team is indian?

As for Felziano, I guess you dont know the history of Trinidad carnival or the origins of the steel drum.

Soca warriors is a good name. It emphasizes Trinidad. Those who feel that  soca only emphasizes one part of the culture, must be identifying with only one part of the culture. In other words they consider race before nation.  

truetrini

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2006, 02:16:53 PM »

yeah..tell then bout the fella who discover rabies too
i feel yoiu is a Professor of Foot & Mouth yes lol

while de white man was instrumental in creating particular kinds of discourses about the character of the "Indian" and the "Negro" in order to make their case for the need for indentured labor. Caricatures of the luxury-loving, lazy, immoral Negro and of the docile, hardworking and cunning Indian abound in planter discourses of the period soon after emancipation. Many of these derogatory racial stereotypes continue to this day as the two groups use these same caricatures to undermine one another.

Allyuh real good, dat is why Panday is ah shit hound..!  And dat is why we have ah long ass thread on dis FOOTBALL forum about BULLSHIT.  Dat is why T&T so f**ked up nowadays and dat is why we cyar get no real action and bipartisan work done tuh develop de nation.

haul allyuh ass!

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2006, 02:18:42 PM »
I was just saying the things that has made Trinidad known on the world stage, whether its sports( Hasley, Ato, Lara, Yorke, etc),  arts (Carnival, Soca, Calypso, Steel drum) or scholarship ( CLR James, Tony Martin, Dr Nantambu, Stokely Carmichael aka Kwame Ture, Eric Williams etc) have been accomplishments by Afri-Trinidadians.

Eric Williams was an Afri-Trinidadian? Yuh learn something new everyday yes.

Offline Marlon

• Sr. Warrior
  • Who the cap fit, let them wear it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2006, 02:21:38 PM »
what a foolish letter. ::)

i see fazeer bitching about how much more money roy cape get than some tassa group in yesterday express.

truetrini

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2006, 02:25:09 PM »

so was he afro-trini den?

what is yuh point?

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2006, 02:28:43 PM »

WELL...WHAT WAS ERIC THEN???

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2006, 02:28:49 PM »
Quote from: truetrini link=topic=10117.msg90568#msg90568

[quote

what is yuh point?

He was not! But we could debate that on another site. This forum is about football.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2006, 02:31:23 PM »
Quote from: truetrini link=topic=10117.msg90568#msg90568

[quote

what is yuh point?

He was not! But we could debate that on another site. This forum is about football.

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS

truetrini

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2006, 02:32:44 PM »

well he look it uh me..ah suppose he was ah dougla ent?

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2006, 02:35:45 PM »

what is yuh point?
He was mixed, but had more french creole in him than any other thing. He never got into the indian and african ole talk and ah wish more peole would do like him.

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2006, 02:38:32 PM »
I agree that national unity will change things. However, its ideas like soca chutney warriors that takes Trinidad 2 steps back.

Also if we are to acheive national unity there should be equality in the economics. One or two groups should not have more economic clout or power than the others.

Trinidad needs unity between Afrikan and Indian. But the economics, social conditions, and politics need to be equal before we can achieve unity.  

Uniting does not mean unity in our day to day lives. It means an equal distribution of wealth, politics everything!

truetrini

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2006, 02:40:21 PM »
french creole?  mixed?  Eric Eustace Williams?  Massa day done Eric we talking about?  De same man who teach History at Howard?

De Founder ah de PNM?
If yuh say so breds.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2006, 02:42:34 PM »
Ah doh see how football prof could come with an angle like dat. Man talking about a football nick name, you start talking about de team race composition, history of steel drum and talking about Stokley Carmichael world famous which is not completely true. He famous but world famous? TrueTrini right to call Samaroo name.  He should have thrown in Naipaul too since yuh open dat gate. How could de name Chutney bring out such a venemous response and on a football forum...eh Mr. Prof?  If Sam like de name...dat is he opinion. Yuh could let it pass but NO...yuh have to jump in dey wit ah ratchet. When Sam come back, yuh go hear a set of cussing and yuh know what...yuh go deserve it.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2006, 02:44:31 PM »
TT doh debate wit a man spelling Africa like Afrika like he is a white South African.   :o  :D

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2006, 02:47:29 PM »

well he look it uh me..ah suppose he was ah dougla ent?

ah doh kno bout you behind-de-bridge but this looks like an African-Trinidadian to me(and I'm one too) but then again as you said...we learn something new everyday ;D

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2006, 02:48:45 PM »
french creole?  mixed?  Eric Eustace Williams?  Massa day done Eric we talking about?  De same man who teach History at Howard?

De Founder ah de PNM?
If yuh say so breds.

de doc was so intelligent, dat up to this day he have people thinking he was African. Because he said 'Masa day done' that make him African? That phrase pertained to all lazy, lackadaisical Trinibagonians and not just those of African descent. Go and research his family history and tell me which one of his parents were of 'African descent'.

1]; } ?>