April 25, 2024, 11:22:11 PM

Author Topic: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?  (Read 51967 times)

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2006, 02:50:10 PM »
if trini take 2 steps back then we go fall off de cliff ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

truetrini

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2006, 02:55:43 PM »
french creole?  mixed?  Eric Eustace Williams?  Massa day done Eric we talking about?  De same man who teach History at Howard?

De Founder ah de PNM?
If yuh say so breds.

de doc was so intelligent, dat up to this day he have people thinking he was African. Because he said 'Masa day done' that make him African? That phrase pertained to all lazy, lackadaisical Trinibagonians and not just those of African descent. Go and research his family history and tell me which one of his parents were of 'African descent'.

Yuh gorn mad!  Dat quote was fuh lazy Trinis?

yuh lorse fella real lorse!  yuh ever read any ah eric books?  name 3.  he is ah black man,,not an ounce ah french creole,,he marry woman who was french creole and he was ah sorf man with woman as dem reportedly use to boss him around.

breds yuh wrong,, yuh  ever see de man in person?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 02:58:39 PM by truetrini »

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2006, 02:58:15 PM »
wait so he not african. wheysss that man get ah serious tan in trini boy. or was it bago?

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2006, 03:00:26 PM »
french creole?  mixed?  Eric Eustace Williams?  Massa day done Eric we talking about?  De same man who teach History at Howard?

De Founder ah de PNM?
If yuh say so breds.

de doc was so intelligent, dat up to this day he have people thinking he was African. Because he said 'Masa day done' that make him African? That phrase pertained to all lazy, lackadaisical Trinibagonians and not just those of African descent. Go and research his family history and tell me which one of his parents were of 'African descent'.

please tell us yuh jes kicksin'...by anybody in the world's standard... well maybe not yours... Eric Williams was an African Trinidadian. He was also the quintessential politician and he knew how to manipulate race politics for the benefit of the PNM but doh geh tie up Eric was African Trini. French creole and all dem ting is irrelevant, all ah we mixed up with something ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2006, 03:02:57 PM »
what next we didnt  invent palau ???

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2006, 03:07:02 PM »
allyuh makin we sound just like dem blasted americans.italian american this,native american that,african american.way yuh born dat is wuh yuh is.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2006, 03:08:51 PM »
allyuh makin we sound just like dem blasted americans.italian american this,native american that,african american.way yuh born dat is wuh yuh is.

so am i a morvant?

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2006, 03:10:53 PM »

well that's how it should be, unfortunately humans tend to notice differences rather than similarities. It's a pity though, we can accomplish so much more working together than apart.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2006, 03:13:03 PM »

De Founder ah de PNM?
If yuh say so breds.

please tell us yuh jes kicksin'...by anybody in the world's standard... well maybe not yours... Eric Williams was an African Trinidadian. He was also the quintessential politician and he knew how to manipulate race politics for the benefit of the PNM but doh geh tie up Eric was African Trini. French creole and all dem ting is irrelevant, all ah we mixed up with something ;D

Read this 'Massa day done' lecture by de doc in 1961 and tell where it says that HE is African? http://fulltext10.fcla.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=author;c=eew;xg=1;rgn=work;sort=author;view=toc;cc=eew;start=1;size=25;subview=fullcitation;idno=UF00001620;node=UF00001620%3A1

Becuase de man was brown and wasn't called Harrylal, everybody saying de man was African. De man was a person full stop. Being the founder of the PNM does not make him African either. As many Indo-Trinidadians co-founded that party Kamal Mohammed etc.

Anyway if you guys want to call him African..fix up.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2006, 03:13:20 PM »
funny thing is if there was no soca, there would be no chutney...Chutney is hybrid of indian music and soca......

anyway....soca is the music of Trinidad regardless of race.....and Chutney should be the same....the man writing that letter was trying to make a point, and failed but the bigger picture in light of his point is that some indians in Trinidad still struggle to identify with their "Trinidadian-ness", and are therefore constantly looking for inclusion and a sense of ownership and belonging.....

Inidans are the biggest ethnic group in Trinidad, yet some may still consider indo-Trini culture as a sub culture or an alternative culture compared pure "Trini" culture (to some extent).

examples:

pelau is trini food- roti is indian food. (truth is our style of roti is as Trini as pelau is, and both dishes have their origins outside of Trinidad)

soca is trini music- chutney is indian music (truth is chutney is as Trini as soca.....in fact as mentioned earlier, chutney came out of soca)

point is, instead of writing off the article as rubbish, try to realize the deeper underlying issues that such a letter to the editor highlights.

When all "indo-Trini" culture becomes just Trini, (eg doubles and tassa are no longer considered "indian", but just Trini).... letters to the editor of such nature will be come a thing of the past
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 03:16:07 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2006, 03:15:24 PM »
TT doh debate wit a man spelling Africa like Afrika like he is a white South African.   :o  :D

ah was going to hit him with that too lol
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

truetrini

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2006, 03:19:20 PM »

De Founder ah de PNM?
If yuh say so breds.

Read this 'Massa day done' lecture by de doc in 1961 and tell where it says that HE is African? http://fulltext10.fcla.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=author;c=eew;xg=1;rgn=work;sort=author;view=toc;cc=eew;start=1;size=25;subview=fullcitation;idno=UF00001620;node=UF00001620%3A1

Becuase de man was brown and wasn't called Harrylal, everybody saying de man was African. De man was a person full stop. Being the founder of the PNM does not make him African either. As many Indo-Trinidadians co-founded that party Kamal Mohammed etc.

Anyway if you guys want to call him African..fix up.

he was ah black man plain and simple..making him afro-trini!

If yuh feel dat massa day odne speech did not show dat he was balck..go back and re-read it!  The mere fact dat he ahd to empahsize dat he had no intention of making it a racially divise issue illustrates this point.  Why make such a statement then?

I done.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2006, 03:21:21 PM »
As for Felziano, I guess you dont know the history of Trinidad carnival or the origins of the steel drum.

how could u say that?lol..boy me ent give a rats ass bout carnival, steelpan or chutney..me ent care who vex.
i learn enough basics in school bout carnival and slavery..if ah wanted to know more..maybe i woulda become a profesor or something.

also i seem to remember Eric williams mother was part east indian or something so from my primary school days..i clearly remember he mother used to put coconut oil in his hair and put a path in it..tell me if that not true then..oh and he went QRC too lol
Feliz

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2006, 03:23:41 PM »

so am i a morvant?
yeah and i is port of spain general hospital.meh middle name is ward 4

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2006, 03:25:27 PM »
As for Felziano, I guess you dont know the history of Trinidad carnival or the origins of the steel drum.

how could u say that?lol..boy me ent give a rats ass bout carnival, steelpan or chutney..me ent care who vex.
i learn enough basics in school bout carnival and slavery..if ah wanted to know more..maybe i woulda become a profesor or something.

also i seem to remember Eric williams mother was part east indian or something so from my primary school days..i clearly remember he mother used to put coconut oil in his hair and put a path in it..tell me if that not true then..oh and he went QRC too lol
feliziano yuh didn have mousse or a lil gel self.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2006, 03:28:22 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Williams

on here they say he mother was a French creole

maybe they used bees wax or something else in that time too Capo lol
Feliz

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2006, 03:29:56 PM »

he was ah black man plain and simple..making him afro-trini!

If yuh feel dat massa day odne speech did not show dat he was balck..go back and re-read it! The mere fact dat he ahd to empahsize dat he had no intention of making it a racially divise issue illustrates this point. Why make such a statement then?

I done.

Take note of a quote from dat speech:
All that they can see in the slogan, Massa Day Done, is
racial antagonism. This is characteristically stupid. Massa is not a racial term. Massa
is the symbol of a bygone age. Massa Day is a social phenomenon: Massa Day
Done connotes a political awakening and a social revolution.
I done too.

truetrini

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2006, 03:32:22 PM »
eric was not ah dougla!  de man used to refer to indians as ignorant...steups.

read this.

http://www.nalis.gov.tt/Biography/bio_EEWilliamsbyRohlehr.html

despite what anyone might pretend,,Eric wanted to build T&T upon a stricly Afro_trinidadian construct!

Plain and Simple.

Ask VB what he grand father had to endure under Eric Williams.

by the way,,,read the entire speech,  He was responding to criticsms made by the DLP!

Please read the entire speech and see who massa was in tolatality...according to Eric!

Please do!

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2006, 03:34:51 PM »
eric was not ah dougla!  de man used to refer to indians as ignorant...steups.

read this.

http://www.nalis.gov.tt/Biography/bio_EEWilliamsbyRohlehr.html

despite what anyone might pretend,,Eric wanted to build T&T upon a stricly Afro_trinidadian construct!

Plain and Simple.

Ask VB what he grand father had to endure under Eric Williams.

by the way,,,read the entire speech,  He was responding to criticsms made by the DLP!

Please read the entire speech and see who massa was in tolatality...according to Eric!

Please do!

thanks fuh enlightening meh True lol
the man was more racial than i imagined..and people proud of he..steups
Feliz

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2006, 03:43:46 PM »
so wuh allyuh tellin me is that we had ah racial f**ker in williams.oh lord.then we follow he up with ah dotish f**ker in chambers,ah doh know wuh kinda f**ker robinson was.then we had de drunk f**ker in panday,now we have de f**kin f**ker in manning.trini still sweet.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2006, 03:44:33 PM »
I don't think prof made any error in using a k in Afrika but he might explain that himself later on.

What TT is saying about Williams is true.  How you yourself choose to identify yourself is a big part of who you are.
Now if Birchie say he is a Afro-Trini that might be a stretch   ;D

Kicker.....a good bit of people call peleau creole food and not just trini food so it goes both ways.
You are right people of indian descent are still searching for inclusion in the national identity.....perhaps that is natural considering history.

There is little benefit holding on to ethnic identities while in T&T.  Perhaps when moving abroad it helps connect with networks but within the country it disempowers the people.  We young and growing so hopefully things move in the right direction and we think country first.  Funny enough I think alot of ethnicities outside of the majority ethnicities have adopted this.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2006, 03:46:18 PM »
I don't think prof made any error in using a k in Afrika but he might explain that himself later on.

What TT is saying about Williams is true.  How you yourself choose to identify yourself is a big part of who you are.

Kicker.....a good bit of people call peleau creole food and not just trini food so it goes both ways.
You are right people of indian descent are still searching for inclusion in the national identity.....perhaps that is natural considering history.

There is little benefit holding on to ethnic identities while in T&T.  Perhaps when moving abroad it helps connect with networks but within the country it disempowers the people.  We young and growing so hopefully things move in the right direction and we think country first.  Funny enough I think alot of ethnicities outside of the majority ethnicities have adopted this.

palau only turn creole when yuh add the golden ray ;D

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2006, 03:51:59 PM »

palau only turn creole when yuh add the golden ray ;D
so if ah rub de salt butta on meh tolee ah could tell meh wife she bullin with ah creole.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2006, 04:00:48 PM »
so if ah rub de salt butta on meh tolee ah could tell meh wife she bullin with ah creole.

:rotfl:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2006, 04:04:04 PM »

not sure about that, but she will definitely taste the "rich creole flavour"  ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 09:16:37 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

TrinInfinite

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2006, 04:05:12 PM »
dr williams was a dougla, i know about his family, but he was very much afrocentric in his approach, sometimes neglecting his indian roots also
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 04:07:25 PM by TrinInfinite »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2006, 04:08:45 PM »
This thread start off bad and end up worse.

Football prof you have to be a kind of dunce to be pushing a head about Afro-trinis being the only ones to put TnT on the map. I will not even bother to call names because it is not a competition, we are all Trinis.

Soca warriors is not the name becaus eof the African influence or whatever shit you thinking about it is because it is Trini. Your argument is jsut as flawed as the Anil man.

Also about Pelau...

I remember I was liming an indian thing once, fresh off the boat from India, and I mention Pelau. She recognize the word and asked what it was. Apparently they have a rice and peas dish in India also that they call pelau so it might not be as Afro-trinias we think.

Which just proves the point that Trini things are Trini things full stop. Delineating Afro-trini from Indo-trini is pointless because it is hundreds of years since we see Africa or India.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2006, 04:13:53 PM »
Also about Pelau...

I remember I was liming an indian thing once, fresh off the boat from India, and I mention Pelau. She recognize the word and asked what it was. Apparently they have a rice and peas dish in India also that they call pelau so it might not be as Afro-trinias we think.

yeah and it have rice "pilaf' from the middle east too lol
then with my family it have 'paella'..which much better than pelau cause it have a whole lot more meat  ;D
anyway it have lots of dishes around the world similar in nature but they just have different names..look at roti and tortillas..pasta and dumplings..and the list could go on.

Feliz

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2006, 04:20:37 PM »

Which just proves the point that Trini things are Trini things full stop. Delineating Afro-trini from Indo-trini is pointless because it is hundreds of years since we see Africa or India.

:applause:

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2006, 04:24:58 PM »

not sure about that, but she will definitely taste the "rich creole flavour"  ;D

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

1]; } ?>