March 28, 2024, 02:56:50 AM

Author Topic: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?  (Read 51527 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?
« on: January 07, 2006, 06:40:53 AM »

On a point of intellectual curiosity, why not Soca-Chutney Warriors instead of "Soca Warriors"?
"Here every creed and race finds an equal place." Am I correct? It does not matter that there are no Indians on the national football team: that is quite irrelevant. That is so because there no Indians skilfully worthy of playing football at this level and by extension being able to make the World Cup squad. But to sell us to the world by using a term which expresses only part of our culture is abominable.
How would the USA name their team and sell it to the world under similar circumstances? "Rock Warriors?" "Hip Hop Warriors?" "Jazz Warriors?" "Pop Warriors?" Or would they find an all-inclusive name which expresses their diversity of its white, black, Asian, Hispanic population?
In South Africa, there has been something called "affirmative action" which, simply put, was designed to give blacks their rightful position/place in the society. Hence, the rise of Black fast bowler Ntini and others on the cricket team, thereby transforming an exclusively white team into something more akin to the real South Africa.
It is quite the opposite with cricket in T&T: there are more Indians on the national team at the moment and even the captain Daren Ganga is Indian. Are we to call them "Chutney Cricketers"? Even the WI cricket team are led by two Indians Shiv Chanderpaul and Ramnaresh Sarwan. Chutney cricketers?

Anil Mahabir
Cunupia
Trinidad Express Newspapers.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
Re: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 06:45:57 AM »
That sound wrong :-\ no offense intended but to me it does.
Its not just africans that listen to soca. a Nick name has nothing to do with race, unless it was called the NEGRO warriors ::). Let get back to talking about FOOTBALL.lol

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 07:03:24 AM »
That sound wrong :-\ no offense intended but to me it does.
Its not just africans that listen to soca. a Nick name has nothing to do with race, unless it was called the NEGRO warriors ::). Let get back to talking about FOOTBALL.lol
Agreed. Talk about having a chip on your shoulder. By the way, Soca is far more representative of everyone in T&T. African, Indian, Chinese and Syrian have all sang soca. I have only seen one group singing chutney.

Offline bill

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 07:12:23 AM »
soca-chutney-..... you can make this a very long list. Soca is WE ting.. it belongs to all people of Trinidad and is widely accepted as the national music of our country. Let get real.... SOCA WARRIORS will remain as is, it simply a TRINI ting not a race ting.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 07:28:41 AM »
so what go happen to ex-tempo ???

soca-chutney-extempo-warriors ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 07:29:42 AM »
Yeah this Anil man is making little sense.

I can only assume from his argument that he only listens to Chutney and feels that he is not being represented by the word Soca- . If so he is missing out on some real good music.

Also that analogy with the US is so dotish.

What is the single ethnicity that listens to "pop" or jazz, or hip hop for that matter.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 07:53:45 AM »
This guy needs to get a life and stop spewing racism which this clearly shows,somebody needs to educate this man that soca is trini regardless of race,chutney historically was created and sung by trini indians.the big problem in trinidad is that everybody have this focus on identifying with there race what's up with that as I remember ah trini is ah trini. 

Offline Girl Warrior

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 07:54:43 AM »
That guy is a bit closed minded, he needs to use his peripherals. He starts off "On a point of intellectual curiosity" oh please! He just wants to stir up some sort of race issue when it's absolutely uncalled for. He should have had some of his Indian and non Indian friends proof-read his contribution before he submitted it.
btw.. I like morvantman's suggestion more

:rotfl: :rotfl:
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall... Che Guevara

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 08:05:44 AM »
That guy is a bit closed minded, he needs to use his peripherals. He starts off "On a point of intellectual curiosity" oh please! He just wants to stir up some sort of race issue when it's absolutely uncalled for. He should have had some of his Indian and non Indian friends proof-read his contribution before he submitted it.

I eh know bout the close minded claim ...  if he was close minded he would not be asking questions??? soca is trini and trini is soca, plain and simple..that would be my response to his letter...

BTW..chutney listeners, is chutney something invented in TnT?

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 08:13:15 AM »

I eh know bout the close minded claim ...  if he was close minded he would not be asking questions??? soca is trini and trini is soca, plain and simple..that would be my response to his letter...

he close minded no ass

But to sell us to the world by using a term which expresses only part of our culture is abominable.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 08:15:57 AM »

he close minded no ass

But to sell us to the world by using a term which expresses only part of our culture is abominable.

no that would american.. where you can't have a mind of your own, nor have questions... my bad .. he have ah indian sounding name so you have to jump on he chest... we know you love your indians :o

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 08:17:58 AM »
no that would american.. where you can't have a mind of your own, nor have questions... my bad .. he have ah indian sounding name so you have to jump on he chest... we know you love your indians :o

Allyuh men starting early today boy.

Offline Girl Warrior

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 08:21:24 AM »
Thanks truetrini. Jumbie, just because someone asks questions doesn't make them open-minded. He seems to enjoy the bliss of his ignorance. He asks questions to incite a reaction out of other close minded ppl, not to educate and share positive vibes.The race thing does not matter to me one bit.
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall... Che Guevara

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 08:21:44 AM »

he close minded no ass

Aye I see somebody wearing a jersey once and it say soca and nutten about chutney on it...remember?

The man brought race into the equation...why?  He mentioned the zIndian cricketers...why?   In fact his premise is so damn ridiculous it eh funny.  Is Soca in T&T purely fuh those of african descent?

If de answer is no...den he needs to shut tuh f**k up!

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 08:22:55 AM »

lack of football on the tv have meh tisic this am... ah feel ah have to drive dong toronto for some double to keep me busy. I'll grab some Wendys for TT, since we know he eh touching no indian food. he close minded like dat.

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 08:24:33 AM »

lack of football on the tv have meh tisic this am... ah feel ah have to drive dong toronto for some double to keep me busy. I'll grab some Wendys for TT, since we know he eh touching no indian food. he close minded like dat.

me eh know if yuh serious eh..but if you are.......let me know so ah could say..something.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 08:25:12 AM »
So call de team Dougla Warriors.....  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 08:26:01 AM »
Yeah it real shitty that they don't show the FA Cup on the free channel.

But don't worry this is wild card weekend, have some good games this evening.

Ah feel TT is a Redskins fan.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 08:26:16 AM »
Thanks truetrini. Jumbie, just because someone asks questions doesn't make them open-minded. He seems to enjoy the bliss of his ignorance. He asks questions to incite a reaction out of other close minded ppl, not to educate and share positive vibes.The race thing does not matter to me one bit.

I eh go bodda.. it seems Trini gone cuban.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 08:27:34 AM »

yea, them games sounding good (Wild card) but ah man real tie dong wid work.

truetrini

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 08:28:55 AM »

I hate de redstinks,  and I doh like dat game.

de man who calling me american is ah big gymnastics fan, loves ice skating and ice hockey,,,does back de canadian women's national team, and doh miss he NFL fantasy league at all.

so dere yuh have de irony ah he shit statement.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 08:29:36 AM »

me eh know if yuh serious eh..but if you are.......let me know so ah could say..something.

Like is today you know me?? keep me updated on that thing you message me bout. ah gone.. 4 meh doubles now.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 08:29:46 AM »

On a point of intellectual curiosity, why not Soca-Chutney Warriors instead of "Soca Warriors"?
"Here every creed and race finds an equal place." Am I correct? It does not matter that there are no Indians on the national football team: that is quite irrelevant. That is so because there no Indians skilfully worthy of playing football at this level and by extension being able to make the World Cup squad. But to sell us to the world by using a term which expresses only part of our culture is abominable.
How would the USA name their team and sell it to the world under similar circumstances? "Rock Warriors?" "Hip Hop Warriors?" "Jazz Warriors?" "Pop Warriors?" Or would they find an all-inclusive name which expresses their diversity of its white, black, Asian, Hispanic population?
In South Africa, there has been something called "affirmative action" which, simply put, was designed to give blacks their rightful position/place in the society. Hence, the rise of Black fast bowler Ntini and others on the cricket team, thereby transforming an exclusively white team into something more akin to the real South Africa.
It is quite the opposite with cricket in T&T: there are more Indians on the national team at the moment and even the captain Daren Ganga is Indian. Are we to call them "Chutney Cricketers"? Even the WI cricket team are led by two Indians Shiv Chanderpaul and Ramnaresh Sarwan. Chutney cricketers?

Anil Mahabir
Cunupia
Trinidad Express Newspapers.
Lawd this ting getin out a hand.. next ting yu know de chinee man and dem spanish and dem go start this sh*t too.... help mi out people ley we fix this before thing really get out a hand.. Here is de new name for de team....
" chuntney, parang, socawarriors"
I sorry I forget mi chinee frien dem but I aint know what type a music de Chineese invented so I pass on dat one..
Dem flickin writers and dem is one set a dunce!!!!!!!!!!!

Everybody know we Indian love we rum and we chutney Music a have no time for football is "rum till I die"
Warmonga...
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 08:31:02 AM »

I hate de redstinks,  and I doh like dat game.

de man who calling me american is ah big gymnastics fan, loves ice skating and ice hockey,,,does back de canadian women's national team, and doh miss he NFL fantasy league at all.

so dere yuh have de irony ah he shit statement.

boy, why you letting out people business! Doh hate the game simply because you eh understand it nah.. me eh like big thing, but me eh hate you cause you like dem.

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2006, 08:33:13 AM »
That is a pure racial comment. People who see race in everything are generally racial themselves because they are bringing their own perception to the issue. Soca is a trini thing. And yuh know when the team was ketching dey ass with one point.Nobody had a problem with de name but now we going Germany and every Tom, Dick and Harrysingh have something to say.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2006, 08:35:25 AM »
That is a pure racial comment. People who see race in everything are generally racial themselves because they are bringing their own perception to the issue. Soca is a trini thing. And yuh know when the team was ketching dey ass with one point.Nobody had a problem with de name but now we going Germany and every Tom, Dick and Harrysingh have something to say.

:rotfl:

de man say harrysingh to be politically correct oui
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline ballfever

• Jr. Warrior
  • Dream d'dream, live d'game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2006, 08:38:09 AM »
to my intellectually curious, yet ignorant friend.....
soca, as created by lord shorty, later known as ras shorty i, was a fusion of african and east indian rhythms and melodies.check your t&t music archives for the hit "om shanti"
thus "soca warriors" does indeed express the culture of our two major races.
close minded, maybe...myopic definitely! ah trini is ah trini is ah trini...indian trini, chinee trini, african trini, dougla trini....... :beermug:
if yuh check mih heart in mih chest, mix up wit d'red blood, it have a black & white stripe somewhere in dey!.....long b4 foot ball,durin' world cup and after..T&T FOREVER! WE COUNTRY, WE SPIRIT,WE VIBES! WARRIOR NATION!

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2006, 10:02:05 AM »
talk done...

MickeyRat

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2006, 10:38:53 AM »
Shit why not: Groovy Soca Warriors

TrinInfinite

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2006, 10:43:29 AM »
this topic is pointless, especially since dis man dont know the origins and wat forms soca music, riddim and socapro need tuh give him a lecture

1]; } ?>