April 25, 2024, 04:14:07 PM

Author Topic: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?  (Read 51952 times)

Offline Lil Jodie P

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2006, 01:24:20 PM »
not that i trying to be racial here or anything...but why is it that its always the indians here in Trini that always finding a problem with race in everything we do? to tell you the truth i never see a black man or for that matter anybody else making an issue off of trivial $hit like this!
soca warriors is just a name...soca belongs to the people of this country collectively and so we dubbed our team with that name....because they are 'our' team. they represent us as a people collectively. every man jack in our country listens to soca....tell me ah lie! even if its soca and chutney...or soac and RnB....or soca nad rock! soca is a part of us...it is who we are. and so we just got a name that represents that for our warriors! so deal with it! who vex loss....
FOREVER AND ALWAYS "Little Jodie P" :)

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2006, 01:54:44 PM »
what about De Fighting Caribs or De Astonishing Arawaks.

ah like dat.

Why not mix it up and call dem De Amazing Amerindians..everybody should be happy now!  ;D

Big Up de Soca Warriors!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline CAPITANO

• Full Warrior
  • I heart zaboka
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2006, 02:43:24 PM »
what about De Fighting Caribs or De Astonishing Arawaks.

ah like dat.

Why not mix it up and call dem De Amazing Amerindians..everybody should be happy now!  ;D

Big Up de Soca Warriors!

LOL!!
WE JAMMIN STILL!!!!!!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2006, 03:45:58 PM »
ummmmmmmmm arseholes the name is warriors and it was changed on ash wednesday last year.

people just didnt listen and kept on using soca but keep all allyuh stupid racial letters in yuh backpocket.

boy....yuh lucky yuh eh get a ticket   ;D

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2006, 04:17:03 PM »
not that i trying to be racial here or anything...but why is it that its always the indians here in Trini that always finding a problem with race in everything we do? to tell you the truth i never see a black man or for that matter anybody else making an issue off of trivial $hit like this!

nah ah think yuh have it back to front dey Jodie..to me dey taking a page from the Afrikans and dem who was bitching the most when UNC and NAR was in power..so i guess after 30 years or so of PNM..they find dey voice..albeit..causing more tension in de country...remember oppression is bring rebellion  ;)
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2006, 04:18:50 PM »
aye Football Prof..i just remember 2 "Black' Trinis that put we on de map
Jack Warner and de Pitch Lake  :rotfl:
Feliz

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2006, 04:20:14 PM »
Well said  Feliziano
Warrior For Life !!

Offline SweetParkie

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2006, 05:43:43 PM »
I cyar believe I even responding to this sh!t :-\
But the statement - "But to sell us to the world by using a term which expresses only part of our culture is abominable." really get to me
What part of our culture does SOCA limit itself to? Is this supposed to mean that only non-indians listen or participate in SOCA???

Is Chutney a unique cultural experience developed in TRINIDAD???? ???

When exactly did we become so racial?
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy!

Trinidadians unite and respect each other!!!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2006, 06:04:17 PM »
Trinidad have a setta pseudo racist digusing themselves as educated people.

If alyuh go on the general forum culture and entertainment, I had a post a few months ago where a woman was giving Douglas real horrors.

The truth is EVERY GROUP in Trinidad feel they is a victim.....The Indians feel they oppressed cause they alone gettin Kidnap, the Blacks feel they is victims as they cyar get no Wuk. The Whites feel they is victims and they are a target...the only cool soldiers is the Chinee and dem cause them making money orf everybody head easy easy. Even Tobago people and Country people does feel victimized in some way or another. Yuh ent see they start to riot and burn tyre in Toco because Wasa bring in they own employees and didnt use Toco residents.

But what is alraming is that people now feel the only way to get attention or action is through the use of force and this is where society is decaying at all levels.

What the govnt should do is take all the people who have any kinda problem or hang up and pay they passage and send them back to Africa or India or wherever they feel they come from and just leave the rest of us carefree down here.

When that happen all the labels will disappear and everything would just be Trinidadian........as it should be.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2006, 06:09:57 PM »
Trinidad have a setta pseudo racist digusing themselves as educated people.

What the govnt should do is take all the people who have any kinda problem or hang up and pay they passage and send them back to Africa or India or wherever they feel they come from and just leave the rest of us carefree down here.

When that happen all the labels will disappear and everything would just be Trinidadian........as it should be.

that was a nice summary of the problem and answer  :beermug:
Feliz

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2006, 07:07:51 PM »

nah ah think yuh have it back to front dey Jodie..to me dey taking a page from the Afrikans and dem who was bitching the most when UNC and NAR was in power..so i guess after 30 years or so of PNM..they find dey voice..albeit..causing more tension in de country...remember oppression is bring rebellion  ;)

exactly who are you talking about when you say "oppressed"? Who in Trinidad and Tobago is oppressed? ???
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2006, 07:30:58 PM »

exactly who are you talking about when you say "oppressed"? Who in Trinidad and Tobago is oppressed? ???

ah talking bout history in general..church people rebel, slaves rebel, military rebel..everybody is rebel if they feel like they being held back for whatever reason.

ok ah guess 'oppression' is too strong a word..how bout "victimisation","hardship", "maltreatment", "ostracism", "chastisement" and "subjection'"

but anyway i didnt say anybody in T&T suffering that kinda treatment.
Feliz

Offline sureflow

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2006, 08:01:39 PM »
Please, let us not be emotional about the name Soca Warriors. I wonder why we had to use a sobriquet in the first place. Remember when Bovell won silver in the Olympics, he asked why it is our representatives has not moved to change the country name on the medal board from "TRI" to "TNT" so that Tobago can get a play. We have a bad habit of forgetting our countrymen in our celebrations. The same can be said about "Indian Arrival Day" holiday among the other discrimination in race, class and region in my beloved country.

Believe me, what appears normal to me can be very offensive to you. My wish is that we speak out early when we see discrimination and not wait to see if the end result is success or failure before being vociferous.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2006, 08:36:35 PM »
JUST TO SQUASH ALL THIS RACE TING THAT HAVE PEOPLE UPSET WHAT IF WE JUST USED AH ANIMAL MASCOT LIKE HOW CAMEROON HAVE THE LIONS AND NIGERIA HAVE THE EAGLES...MAYBE WE COULD BE DE TRINI FIGHTING 'GUANAS OR THE TRINI CONQUERING 'GOUTIS, OR DE TRINI INVINCIBLE MAPEPEES ;D JUST AH THOUGHT.

DIS IS DE GREATEST :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2006, 10:47:17 PM »
how bout CurryPelauPow Warriors....everybody taken care of...Indian Creole- as ah man on here use tuh say, and Chinee.......steuuuuuuupes!

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2006, 03:31:45 AM »
Tantie's take on the subject:

Is when we go stop dis foolish talk. Now some joker calling for de team
to be called de Soca-Chutney Warriors. Now let we sit down and think
about dis carefully. Fust to begin most of dem in furrin feel dat de
team name Soccer-Warriors, so we have to take de time to explain dat
Soca is sumtin different. Den most of de English-speaking World (and dat
doh necessarily include all ah we), does feel dat Chutney is a kinda
Indian chow-chow dat yuh does put on yuh food. So now dem even more
confused about why we does eat Soccerball in dis Trinidad and Tobago.

Yuh would feel dat de same people who calling for Soca-Chutney would be
up front pushing for de
Soca-Chutney-Parang-Tassa-Lavway-Extempo-Calypso-Warriors. Is when it go
end?

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2006, 08:20:05 AM »
soca warriors is just a name...soca belongs to the people of this country collectively and so we dubbed our team with that name....because they are 'our' team. they represent us as a people collectively. every man jack in our country listens to soca....tell me ah lie! even if its soca and chutney...or soac and RnB....or soca nad rock! soca is a part of us...it is who we are. and so we just got a name that represents that for our warriors! so deal with it! who vex loss....
I always love it when someone starts by saying "...I'm not being racial eh, BUT..."  :devil:
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2006, 09:46:29 AM »

ah talking bout history in general..church people rebel, slaves rebel, military rebel..everybody is rebel if they feel like they being held back for whatever reason.

ok ah guess 'oppression' is too strong a word..how bout "victimisation","hardship", "maltreatment", "ostracism", "chastisement" and "subjection'"

but anyway i didnt say anybody in T&T suffering that kinda treatment.

It's cool Feliziano...I'm just always curious when people used the term "opression" or "opressed" in the T&T context. I think we'd be hard-pressed to find in any other country with a similar demographic landscape like ours, groups who don't have some kind of beef vis a vis another group. That might just be human nature. Even if we go far back in human history and examine old texts we'll find descriptions of human groups highlighting the differences between themselves and other groups of people. The challenge for us now is to make things work for everyone...or every group...in our beloved nation.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2006, 09:53:13 AM »

in spite of all the shit talk and supposed tension (instigated by EVIL politicians who learned the art of dividing and conquering from their colonial masters), trini's is get along regardless of creed.

where else in the world you go find a chinee man married a indian woman with one chindian child and one dougla child that he believe is he one whille he have a chigro child and and a syrian child on de side. at de same time he bulling de venezuelan maid as he wife have a frening with de red yardman from lavantille who father is really a big shot white man from westmoorings.

make hornchild not war.

truetrini

« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2006, 10:05:42 AM »

in spite of all the shit talk and supposed tension (instigated by EVIL politicians who learned the art of dividing and conquering from their colonial masters), trini's is get along regardless of creed.

where else in the world you go find a chinee man married a indian woman with one chindian child and one dougla child that he believe is he one whille he have a chigro child and and a syrian child on de side. at de same time he bulling de venezuelan maid as he wife have a frening with de red yardman from lavantille who father is really a big shot white man from westmoorings.

make hornchild not war.

allyuh is ah real set ah jokers oui :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2006, 10:13:10 AM »

make hornchild not war.

:rotfl: :rotfl: AH CHINDIAN AND AH CHIGRO in de same family :rotfl: :rotfl:  only in Trini and trute :rotfl:

Offline triniwarrior

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2006, 07:27:01 PM »
That sound wrong :-\ no offense intended but to me it does.
Its not just africans that listen to soca. a Nick name has nothing to do with race, unless it was called the NEGRO warriors ::). Let get back to talking about FOOTBALL.lol
look whoever say dis that is real crap ok.What on earth does soca have to do with negro. I am of indian sescent and I always listen to soca wherever I go and I sure that is am not d only one.So i say we should just leave soca warriors ah mean it sounding good just so and why allyuh does have to put race in evberything it was going good b4 well leave it so nah.No Bad Feelings whoever it should be changed but 4 me it is just a load of crap.

Offline Redditch Valiant

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2006, 08:58:25 AM »
so what go happen to ex-tempo ???

soca-chutney-extempo-warriors ;D

or soca-chutney-extempo-heavy-metal-boy-bands-warriors  :rotfl:
Proud to be an honorary "Trinbagonian"
GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2006, 07:05:42 AM »
Randy Glasgow backs ‘Chutney-Soca Warriors’
By Zaid Mohammed Newsday Sports Editor.

A Leading cultural promoter has come out strongly in support of the call from some quarters to change the name of the national football team to “ChutneySoca Warriors.” And he believes that chutney music, an indigenous East Indian artform could have a bigger impact than soca, a derivative of calypso at the upcoming World Cup Football Finals in Germany. Randy Glasgow yesterday joined the chorus of voices in the ongoing debate as to what name the football team should be rebranded with  leading up to Trinidad and Tobago’s first ever appearance in the World Cup in June. The team is currently known as the Soca Warriors and already there is some dispute as to the origin of the name with at least two prominent persons —  a commentator and a former national player and coach-claiming to have coined the sobriquet.
However Glasgow said he is interested in the marketing aspect of the rebranding exercise and he strongly feels that “Chutney” should be added to the “Soca Warriors.” “If you want to market Trinidad and Tobago, don’t do half, do the whole thing. East Indians make up close to 50 percent of the population,” he said. He called on Jack Warner, FIFA vice-president and Special Advisor to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation to seriously consider his suggestion in the interest of national unity and the potential economic benefits to be gained in the long run. Glasgow says he puts on at least 35 shows annually in the United States promoted as worldbeat packages, featuring soca and chutney among other musical genres.
He said chutney is best positioned to attract interest in Trinidad and Tobago especially in Europe and every effort must be made to capitalise on this rare opportunity offered by the national footballers. “It is my opinion that chutney is bigger than soca in Spain, Netherlands and other countries in Europe. We must let it be known that it belongs to Trinidad and Tobago and have people identify us with it,” he said. He cautioned that the situation facing the steelpan in which other countries are making a bold claim on its  invention may soon be repeated this time with chutney music. “My fear is that pretty soon, promoters in France and the Netherlands will be calling India to get chutney performers because we have been neglectful in highlighting our own,” Glasgow said.
He said chutney music is a “sleeping giant” that is separate and apart from soca and should be marketed as such. “There is the opinion that ‘chutney is inside soca’ but I do not agree. “They are two distinct types of music that for all intents and purposes can not be marketed as one. This would not be ideal, said Glasgow. The well-known show promoter said to associate the two musical artforms with the success of the national football team will assist greatly in bridging the racial divide in Trinidad and Tobago. “It would definitely help smooth the relations between the two largest ethnic groups in Trinidad and Tobago. “I also think that it would make it much easier for a chutney singer to appear on a calypso stage and a calypsonian to sing on a chutney stage,” said Glasgow.
He said the World Cup stage is the biggest and best opportunity to get the right message across and should not be missed. Following the success of the national footballers in qualifying for the World Cup, there has been intense debate on what name should be used in marketing the team in Germany. But the controversies  surrounding “Soca Warriors” have forced the officials of the TT Football Federation to rethink their choice. Although registered internationally as “Soca Warriors” it is understood that the Football Federation are once again thinking about changing the name. And Glasgow is hoping that his support for “Chutmey-Soca Warriors” will be given consideration.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2006, 07:38:05 AM »
First of all Mr Zaid Mohammed yuh talkin Bullshit with a capital  B.....chutney is NOT an "indigenous East Indian artform"...chutney came out of Trinidad ....first spoken about by Moeen Mohammed..bother of the late Sham Mohammed who use to host Mastana Bahar. Sundar Popo was one of the founding fathers of the style.....

They took hindi songs that are usually performed at indian weddings and changed the beat..and rythm to a more trini/carribean flavor as well as the fusion of calyspo. This was first done in the mid to late 80's.......it s a relatively new art form. before 1984, there was no such thing as chutney !!

So Mr Zaid Mohammed, before you talk get your facts right and whilst yuh want to celebrate where your forefathers came from try to remember where you come from first....sweet TnT
Warrior For Life !!

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2006, 08:05:52 AM »
funny how nobody had a problem wid the name ''soca warriors'' when we was playin dominican republic. Wagish behavior indeed  ;D

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2006, 08:28:54 AM »
is only smaLL minded ppl does tink so. always trying to separate cultures.  :devil:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline lihalquay

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2006, 08:57:51 AM »
author=pioneertrini link=topic=10117.msg93233#msg93233 date=1137161152]
funny how nobody had a problem wid the name ''soca warriors'' when we was playin dominican republic. Wagish behavior indeed ;D
It is so typical of Trinidadians,everybody wants their pound of flesh.
I don't understand Mr. Glassgow, is the marketing of Trinidad and Tobago music the responsibilty of the TTFF? So what is the job of the Ministry of Culture? There will be interest generated from us being there and I am sure that interest has already been generated what are the authorities doing to capture that?  That is what he should be arguing about.
He is also saying that by adding the name Chutney that it will ease the divide between the races?  Is he for real?
 I think they should drop the name Soca and leave it as Warriors.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2006, 09:03:44 AM »
I think they should drop the name Soca and leave it as Warriors.

They did that already and the public(we) rejected that.

What they really interested in is the marketing power of the team for their music.  Same way the Soca artistes going and benefit they want the same thing.  But find some other way.....the government sending over a cultural troupe so they could use that or something else to let them get the same opportunity.  But best they leave the name alone and avoid flip flopping all over the place.  People have problems with the name Warrior too, what yuh go do.

It will pass.....just include the chutney people in the cultural troupe and call that george.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2006, 09:05:32 AM »
funny how nobody had a problem wid the name ''soca warriors'' when we was playin dominican republic. Wagish behavior indeed  ;D

exactly pioneer!! exactly!!  everyone wants to associate themselves with success!!

dese f**kers ent easy atall!!

lets name them the soca-chutney-ching-chong-with-ah-whiteman warriors!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

1]; } ?>