March 28, 2024, 09:01:42 AM

Author Topic: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?  (Read 51531 times)

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Re: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2006, 10:11:16 AM »
funny how nobody had a problem wid the name ''soca warriors'' when we was playin dominican republic. Wagish behavior indeed  ;D

exactly pioneer!! exactly!!  everyone wants to associate themselves with success!!

lets name them the soca-chutney-ching-chong-with-ah-whiteman warriors!!

ah love it!!

What you talkin about....we already have tassa.....again that is ah trini thing.....yes it is a derivative from India but NOT a product of india.....Just like Calypso is ah lil bit ah everything we all come from...my point is tassa didnt come from India..is ah Trini thing....

So to sum up...we already have Tassa with the steelpan when we watchin we warriors in any stadium we go.....we need chutney too ????  come on..plz!!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2006, 10:54:13 AM »
First of all Mr Zaid Mohammed yuh talkin Bullshit with a capital  B.....chutney is NOT an "indigenous East Indian artform"...chutney came out of Trinidad ....first spoken about by Moeen Mohammed..bother of the late Sham Mohammed who use to host Mastana Bahar. Sundar Popo was one of the founding fathers of the style.....

They took hindi songs that are usually performed at indian weddings and changed the beat..and rythm to a more trini/carribean flavor as well as the fusion of calyspo. This was first done in the mid to late 80's.......it s a relatively new art form. before 1984, there was no such thing as chutney !!

So Mr Zaid Mohammed, before you talk get your facts right and whilst yuh want to celebrate where your forefathers came from try to remember where you come from first....sweet TnT
Mr. Zaid Mohammed is not expressing  his opinion; he is highlighting the opinion of Randy Glasgow.. The quotes you list are  not attributed to the reporter, but to R. Glasgow.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline firebun

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2006, 11:03:19 AM »
All yuh still talking about this shit! >:(  Forget dem idiots whoever bring up this Soca Chutney Warriors nonesense.  Firebun for dem! :flamethrower:

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2006, 11:09:40 AM »
Let Randt Glascow hull he cudders munt. All the f**king years the team carrying Soca he wasn't thinking bout how chutney is ah sleeping giant.
In the words of David Rudder. "to say soca and chutney together is just be redundant."
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2006, 11:45:39 AM »
I was waiting for this to happen yuh know, steups.

Like we cared about that when we were all, every creed and race, jumping up in the airport to SOCA to bring in the team.

Oh gosh man leave the race thing out of the sport nah.

Lawd. I really was waiting for it and I find it take real long to happen, Lets put the focus back on football and stop this Shit.

Andre "u love it"

"I Tired "

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2006, 11:50:37 AM »
socachutneywarriors.net

hmmmmmm... nah..
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2006, 12:01:45 PM »
funny how nobody had a problem wid the name ''soca warriors'' when we was playin dominican republic. Wagish behavior indeed  ;D

exactly pioneer!! exactly!!  everyone wants to associate themselves with success!!

lets name them the soca-chutney-ching-chong-with-ah-whiteman warriors!!

ah love it!!

What you talkin about....we already have tassa.....again that is ah trini thing.....yes it is a derivative from India but NOT a product of india.....Just like Calypso is ah lil bit ah everything we all come from...my point is tassa didnt come from India..is ah Trini thing....

So to sum up...we already have Tassa with the steelpan when we watchin we warriors in any stadium we go.....we need chutney too ????  come on..plz!!

why did u quote me in your post? i see no relevance to what i said to what u are saying????

are u ok??
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2006, 12:08:57 PM »
I was waiting for this to happen yuh know, steups.

Like we cared about that when we were all, every creed and race, jumping up in the airport to SOCA to bring in the team.

Oh gosh man leave the race thing out of the sport nah.

Lawd. I really was waiting for it and I find it take real long to happen, Lets put the focus back on football and stop this Shit.

Andre "u love it"

"I Tired "

i nderstand how u feel angel, these people have nothing to say and they full of confusion.

That is how we are as a people, i mean, its no excuse, but as u said, it was only a matter of time before it happened!!

The only ting u could do is love it!! Being tired of it only stresses u out!! take it from me cause i know bout stress!!

so with dat said.......ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2006, 12:11:14 PM »
talkin bout waggonist, did anyone see the iz a waggonist t-shirts on the izatrini website...i could not believe that person actually put that word on a t-shirt.  jeez... :o

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2006, 12:22:39 PM »
what ah really fedup with is ppl associating Soca music and Pan with race and not COUNTRY..when everybody see soca as trini thing and pan as trini thing, den ah go say "we reach!" but for now dis topic is crap..soca=chutney=trini music..Soca Warriors is all inclusive, talk done!

Big Up de Soca Warriors (chutney included)
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 13, 2006, 12:44:44 PM »
what ah really fedup with is ppl associating Soca music and Pan with race and not COUNTRY..when everybody see soca as trini thing and pan as trini thing, den ah go say "we reach!" but for now dis topic is crap..soca=chutney=trini music..Soca Warriors is all inclusive, talk done!

Big Up de Soca Warriors (chutney included)

You being repetitive ........

Big Up de SocaWarriors. :beermug:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2006, 02:48:39 PM »
GANGES AND DE NILE WARRIORS....man i studing how to stop rooney ..zlatan and santa cruz....f#ck glasgow and dem yes....tnt tnt tnt
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2006, 02:58:11 PM »
I thought we was in a football competition all of a sudden like this is a music promotion. If somebody want to promote Chutney or Soca why not hold some promotional tours or something and stop trying to jump on football back.

When the world tune in to watch the game no body anint care what kind of music we have is football they come to watch.

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2006, 03:53:24 PM »
F**k soca chutney warriors. Soca Warriors is good enough.
F**k  chutney warriors. F**k  if anything that tries to bring in that element. F**k soca chutney warriors, F**k soca chutney warriors,
F**k soca chutney warriors, F**k soca chutney warriors, F**k soca chutney warriors. I done. lol

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2006, 03:56:14 PM »
F**k soca chutney warriors. Soca Warriors is good enough.
F**k  chutney warriors. F**k  if anything that tries to bring in that element. F**k soca chutney warriors, F**k soca chutney warriors,
F**k soca chutney warriors, F**k soca chutney warriors, F**k soca chutney warriors. I done. lol

ah see yuh come down to we level Selwyn..yuh really sound ignorant and stupid now lol
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2006, 04:34:00 PM »
Look femzino, I am not here to argue and call this one stupid.  Neither, am I here for the purposes of getting people to side with me. I am just here to read what people have to say, and maybe gain a bit of insight into issues that are on our minds.

In the area of football, there seems to be a form of "gatekeeping" regarding certain topics that have racial overtones on this thread. If people want to speak about race, it should be allowed once it is objective, it relates to football, and it relates to Trinidad. Therefore, I will be responding to messages in the fashion that I did previously.

One love Femziano!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2006, 06:01:36 PM »
That guy is a bit closed minded, he needs to use his peripherals. He starts off "On a point of intellectual curiosity" oh please! He just wants to stir up some sort of race issue when it's absolutely uncalled for. He should have had some of his Indian and non Indian friends proof-read his contribution before he submitted it.
btw.. I like morvantman's suggestion more
so what go happen to ex-tempo ???

soca-chutney-extempo-warriors ;D
:rotfl: :rotfl:

I eh know bout the close minded claim ...  if he was close minded he would not be asking questions??? soca is trini and trini is soca, plain and simple..that would be my response to his letter...

BTW..chutney listeners, is chutney something invented in TnT?

Yes  Chutney is something invented in TnT.  As fuh de team nickname...Soca is a marriage of Indian and African rhythyms, and it's a pity that this Anil cacahole ent know his own history to realize dat...shame on some people in here too, since I'm yet to see anybody reference dat.  Anil reminds me of some of these black Americans who quick tuh pull race card if rain fall and wet dem and not de white fella standing next tuh dem.  He needs tuh shut his pie-hole and open a book.

I swear some people duz only open dey mouth so as to remember which hole is really dey ass.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2006, 06:12:28 PM »
Yes  Chutney is something invented in TnT.  As fuh de team nickname...Soca is a marriage of Indian and African rhythyms, and it's a pity that this Anil cacahole ent know his own history to realize dat...shame on some people in here too, since I'm yet to see anybody reference dat.

It was referenced here.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2006, 01:28:45 PM »
Yes  Chutney is something invented in TnT.  As fuh de team nickname...Soca is a marriage of Indian and African rhythyms, and it's a pity that this Anil cacahole ent know his own history to realize dat...shame on some people in here too, since I'm yet to see anybody reference dat.

It was referenced here.

Good job...

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2006, 04:24:18 PM »
bake and shake im sure sombody said that already about soca being indian and african at the start otherwise i would have said it  ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2006, 06:51:55 PM »
bake and shake im sure sombody said that already about soca being indian and african at the start otherwise i would have said it  ;D
Nice...

The name's 'Bake n Shark' though.... 8)

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2006, 08:17:21 PM »
sorry bredda  :-[

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2006, 08:38:02 PM »
Why is this nonesense still on the MB. Chutney is Indian Soca NUFF SAID
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2006, 09:30:43 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I cyar believe you say Bake N Shake! Yuh up in de cold too long man.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2006, 03:53:08 PM »

He lucky...is only de tight banner in he sig save him from cuss  ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Everything here must belong to everybody here
« Reply #205 on: January 15, 2006, 07:59:41 PM »
Trinidad Express Editorial

A promoter of chutney-themed Carnival concerts and an alienated activist have called for changing the "Soca Warriors" sobriquet to "Soca-Chutney Warriors". Both should be and will be ignored but the squall in a thimble provides a welcome opportunity to put in positive perspective cultural which is to say racial dimensions in Trinidad and Tobago. In fact, novelist Earl Lovelace in a celebrated lecture to the 2002 graduating class of the University of the West Indies posited it thus:

"How would race function if racial claimants viewed this country not as a cake to be cut up, but a pot of possibilities into which we poured our gifts? How would it be, if we took the view that all that was brought here by everyone belonged not only to the bringer but also to everyone else? How would it be, if just as we all claim the buss-up-shot and the steelband, the tassa and parang, as we ought to claim Best Village and Mastana Bahar, as we claim calypso and chutney and Carnival as our own, we claimed each other as our New World family? ...

The implications of that way of seeing, and therefore of proceeding, are so profound that it is a theme to which we commit ourselves to returning, in various ways from time to time. But the question that it poses in the instant matter is why should "soca" be viewed as inherently and exclusively "Afro" and why should chutney be viewed as inherently and exclusively "Indo"?

None of this is to deny that one or other of our constituent groups may well have prior claim to the invention of this or that genre but as we increasingly constitute a valid nation everything here must belong to everybody here. Are we forever going to insist on communal enclaves incapable of reaching over the ethnic divide? Actually, that question is already being answered since, on much of the evidence, Trinbagonians are integrating more and more and the best bet for the noise makers is to shut up and let them be.

Incidentally, in the instant matter the laugh is on the two protestors since Lord Shorty went to his grave as Ras Shorty-I, insisting that the more accurate spelling of his calypso-derived invention is "sokah". From inception, his was a collaboration between "Afro " and "Indo" rhythms-his inclusion of the tabla and dholak the result of his combined cultural influences growing up in Lengua. All of which just goes to prove that it is they who know nothing who make it their business to try and stir up something.

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2006, 05:41:51 AM »

He lucky...is only de tight banner in he sig save him from cuss  ;D

LOL i cyar believe it either

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2006, 12:55:33 PM »
Earl Lovelace sum it up nice....most of the men was saying similiar things.
Tallman yuh real good to pull that one out of the archives.....
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Chutney already part of soca
« Reply #208 on: January 18, 2006, 09:46:07 AM »
Chutney already part of soca
By Debbie Jacobs (Trinidad Guardian)

So far, I have stayed out of the petty, stupid discussions about making the name of the national awards an ethnic or racial issue, but I put my foot down when people throw out inane ideas like changing the name of our football team from The Soca Warriors to the Soca Chutney Warriors.

The very idea of that name change is offensive to me as an ancient world history teacher and calypso fan because it shows how ignorant many people are about T&T history and music.

All Trinidadians and Tobagonians have to do is listen to Ras Shorty I’s music when he was The Lord Shorty and they would know that his vision of soca was a mixture of American soul, calypso and East Indian rhythms. The late Ras Shorty I made no bones about his musical vision of bringing all Trinidadians together under one type of music. He talked about his purpose-driven ideal of merging East Indian and African music together in several interviews throughout his entire life.

Don’t people listen to Shorty’s early soca songs: Om Shanti Om or Endless Vibration? Or is it that people are so petty and stupid they’re trying to divert positive attention away from our accomplishment of making the World Cup and concentrate instead on how to divide us as a people once again?

I had already sent this week’s column when I opened up the Express and saw music promoter Randy Glasgow jump on this inane bandwagon of changing the national football team’s name. I scrapped my original column to submit this one because I was so upset.

Now don’t get me wrong. I like Randy. He’s a decent fellow trying to do something with our music. But Randy, you’re supposed to know more about soca music and not say things like “I wanted to make an appeal to (T&T Football Federation’s special adviser) Jack Warner because chutney is T&T’s invention and I feel once it is given the recognition on the world stage…”

I don’t know what happened to the rest of that thought. It was cut off with a set of ellipses. Anyway, Randy goes on to say, “it will further help unify our country and bring all races together. People say it’s a divided society. It would send a good signal that we living together and we can work together. I think the soca fraternity will welcome such as initiative.”

No, Randy. A name change will not make us less divisive. It will make us a country of idiots who don’t know squat about our culture. It will send a signal that we are NOT willing to stand as a unified front for the sake of the football players and we are not capable of standing up against all the trouble that faces us today.

Most of the problems we have in this society stem from our inability to understand ourselves, let along each other. We don’t know what it means to be a Trinidadian. We want to sieve the callaloo now and reconstruct the ochroes and callaloo bush.

What further upsets me is that I’m not hearing any discussion on the radio setting the record straight about the history of soca music. Someone—and it’s probably not those clueless deejays on the radio—must educate people about their musical history before someone makes an embarrassing mistake that we have to live with forever.

I don’t know about you but as a history teacher I don’t want to go down in history for supporting the decision of changing the national football team’s name because it’s just a matter of semantics. It will bring no real benefit to anyone and you know if we don’t reach where we hope to go in this football World Cup some fool will probably blame it on the addition of Chutney to the Soca Warriors name.

No, we have to be brighter than that and we have to depend on the media, historians, calypso connoisseurs and right-thinking people to educate us about soca music—which is not just the jump and wine party songs, recycled pop melodies, or hip hop and reggae wannabe rhythms that define our airwaves today.

Yes, there are individuals making a contribution to soca music today, but overall we have strayed far from the original melodic soca songs with scintillating rhythms and lyrics “to make a politician cringe and turn a woman’s body to jelly” if I may borrow a line from David Rudder’s Calypso Music.

If you want to know and feel what original soca music felt like and you can’t get your hands on Shorty or get one of these radio deejays to be able to spell his name so they could look up Shorty’s music in the archives, then you could close your eyes and listen to Shurwayne Winchester’s new soca chutney song on his album. Don’t ask me what it’s called because I’ve heard it about 100 times and I haven’t heard a deejay announce the name yet.

When you think about it, changing the name of the football team to Soca-Chutney Warriors is actually an insult to the Indian community. It’s saying Trinidadians of East Indian descent were NOT part of a defining moment in our musical history. It’s wiping out a whole ethnic group’s contribution to soca.

With all due respect, Mr Warner, if you dare to entertain the thought of changing the name of our national football team to the Soca-Chutney Warriors I will totally freak out.

In the meantime, I’m calling you, Shurwayne, to ask if you could please find Rose for me. Get the Winchester ready, Rose and Shurwayne. We’re heading down the street with More Tempo for the Soca Warriors.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 18, 2006, 11:23:15 AM »
Brilliant job by Debbie Jacobs...

Save fuh de inane part about 'American Soul music'.  Dat is a common misperception that had absolutely nothing to do with the birth of SoKah.  Shorty described the music as the soul of calypso...nutten about soul and calypso.  As an 'ancient world history teacher' one would hope she'd be more accurate and not try and dispel misconception by seeding misconception.

Other dan dat...great rebuttal to the nonsense.

1]; } ?>