April 18, 2024, 09:27:17 PM

Author Topic: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?  (Read 51813 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why not Soca-Chutney Warriors?
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2006, 11:42:13 AM »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2006, 11:46:47 AM »
nuff respect to debbie jacobs.

this shit thread need to be deleted.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 18, 2006, 12:04:32 PM »
nuff respect to debbie jacobs.

this shit thread need to be deleted.
Disagree...the thread ent shit, the original topic is.  Sometimes (like lettuce, lol) good things can come from shitty beginnings.  Lotsa good info here for the uninformed.

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 18, 2006, 01:08:07 PM »
I love this site! It is so representative of all things Trini. In this case, a good lime. Some eeedeot pulls some chupidness out of who knows where that provokes discussion, this becomes heated and almost leads to blows.  In between man trowing talk that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic but ting that so funny yuh want tuh dead wit laugh. More ignorant arrogant talk until somebody shuts everybody up with some indisputable piece of wisdom or fact.

Good work there Tallman.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 18, 2006, 03:36:03 PM »
Soca already has an element of chutney! If you are educated about the roots of soca music you will be aware of that! The soca beat was born out of a fusion of African & Indian beats according to the late Ras Shorty-I the Father of Soca! Chutney or Soca-Chutney is simiply an Indianised version of Soca with the Indian flavour accentuated but soca in its core already has the indian influence. In other words Soca is already a true reflection of multi-cultural Trinidad & Tobago.

The name Soca Warriors is and will remain the best name for our football team. Nice & easy to pronounce so no need to add anything else if you are edcuated about the roots of soca music!  8)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 03:38:16 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gopio backs Chutney Soca Warriors
« Reply #215 on: January 23, 2006, 09:05:48 AM »
Gopio backs Chutney Soca Warriors
Trinidad Express

The Global Organisation of People of Indian Origin has come out in support of promoter Randy Glasgow's call to have the Soca Warriors rebranded the Chutney-Soca Warriors.

Gopio said yesterday that this call assumes new importance, given that all recent statements regarding the cultural component to be sent to Germany, "conspicuously" ignores the Indo-Trinidadian cultural expression.

"As the national team leaps onto the international stage, Mr Glasgow, driven by unbridled nationalism has recommended that the fullest exhibition of national pageantry be displayed.

The rebranded Chutney Soca Warriors will immediately communicate the fact that Trinidad and Tobago is a plural society that treats its diversity with respect," Gopio's statement said.

It added that "whether we like to admit it or not", the social reality is that the large majority of Indo-Trinidadians participate mostly as spectators during Carnival.

Gopio described as unfortunate that Glasgow has been "vilified by elements in the national media for this nationalist sentiment".
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 23, 2006, 09:15:49 AM »
viilified??? th man talking sh!t

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 23, 2006, 09:35:45 AM »
STEUPS AN AH BIG STEUPS
IF WE DIDN'T MAKE THE WORLD CUP WE WOULD NOT BE HAVING THIS DISCUSSION SO SOCA CHUTNEY SOCA CHUTNEY EXTEMPO DOUGLA WARRIORS ARE A WAIST OF VITAL DISCUSSION AND BREATH

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 23, 2006, 10:44:26 AM »
ah feel people only bringing up this shit to get their names in de papers. who ever hear bout gopio before? glasgow must be have a big fete coming up. jackasses.

Offline Green Beret

• Jr. Warrior
  • Army Of One
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 23, 2006, 10:44:37 AM »
I remember de first time I went to ah Trini party.

My parents play Soca/Calypso (Sparrow, Kitch, Shadow, Denyse Plummer, David Rudder, etc) at home, but I wasn’t too crazy about it. I grew up with Rap.

But my first Trini party change all dat. Soca (and little Reggae) in de place. All color woman – midnight black, to plain black, to brown, to red, to yellow and 1 pure white girl. All kinda hair - from ball-head (1 girl hair was down to she scalp), to short, to long, to curly, to braids, to dreads to blond (de white girl). But wait, de 1 white girl was twirling she waist round and round, and jookin up and down, just like de rest ah dem. I was expecting she to be outta step, but she wasn’t. She was movin same way. So I ask way she from. Dey tell me she from Trinidad.

Then I hear a variation of de Soca with some drums sounding like Drumline music. I ask. They say dat is Chutney. I ask if it different from Soca, and if so, way it from. They tell me no, is really de same ting, and it all come, same way, from Trinidad & Tobago.

Well I was converted. I love de Soca, Chutney too. And I love how dey had ah whole kaleidoscope of women, all dem colors. I was amazed dat all dat come from de same place. And to see all ah dem together in dat party, was nice too. I mean, I was thinking, you could go one place, Trinidad, and come out with whatever you want? Wonderful! I goin.

Now on here, it sounding like back in Trini, it have real division. That is hard to understand after that first, and other Trini party experiences.

Dey debating over ah name for de football team? What kinda assness is dat? Nutten eh wrong wit de Soca Warriors. Soca is uniquely Trini, and it represents all Trinis, no matter what color (from dat white girl to de midnight black one). De Soca Warriors is IDEAL for de team representing Trini.

Talk Done!!!
Find Out If You Have What It Takes To Earn The Green Beret.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2006, 11:23:18 AM »
Now on here, it sounding like back in Trini, it have real division. That is hard to understand after that first, and other Trini party experiences.

doh believe what you read in the papers. is just politicians still trying to use the divide and conquer tactics of their colonial masters. all ah we is family (that is a back in times tune by the way).

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gopio backs Chutney Soca Warriors
« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2006, 03:46:27 PM »
It added that "whether we like to admit it or not", the social reality is that the large majority of Indo-Trinidadians participate mostly as spectators during Carnival.

I guess playing mas dont count as participating in Carnival.  GOPIO has too much free time on their hands.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 03:48:06 PM by Tallman »

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2006, 04:14:49 PM »

i not feeling that name at all nah  :-[

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2006, 04:30:24 PM »
I remember de first time I went to ah Trini party.

My parents play Soca/Calypso (Sparrow, Kitch, Shadow, Denyse Plummer, David Rudder, etc) at home, but I wasn’t too crazy about it. I grew up with Rap.

But my first Trini party change all dat. Soca (and little Reggae) in de place. All color woman – midnight black, to plain black, to brown, to red, to yellow and 1 pure white girl. All kinda hair - from ball-head (1 girl hair was down to she scalp), to short, to long, to curly, to braids, to dreads to blond (de white girl). But wait, de 1 white girl was twirling she waist round and round, and jookin up and down, just like de rest ah dem. I was expecting she to be outta step, but she wasn’t. She was movin same way. So I ask way she from. Dey tell me she from Trinidad.

Then I hear a variation of de Soca with some drums sounding like Drumline music. I ask. They say dat is Chutney. I ask if it different from Soca, and if so, way it from. They tell me no, is really de same ting, and it all come, same way, from Trinidad & Tobago.

Well I was converted. I love de Soca, Chutney too. And I love how dey had ah whole kaleidoscope of women, all dem colors. I was amazed dat all dat come from de same place. And to see all ah dem together in dat party, was nice too. I mean, I was thinking, you could go one place, Trinidad, and come out with whatever you want? Wonderful! I goin.

Dey debating over ah name for de football team? What kinda assness is dat? Nutten eh wrong wit de Soca Warriors. Soca is uniquely Trini, and it represents all Trinis, no matter what color (from dat white girl to de midnight black one). De Soca Warriors is IDEAL for de team representing Trini.

Talk Done!!!

Politicians often endeavour to exacerbate certain situations. Doh take it on so much.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Add Chutney to Soca Warriors
« Reply #224 on: January 27, 2006, 09:54:28 AM »
Letter to the Trinidad Guardian

This letter responds to your story on December 19, “Sports play key role in unity—PM.”

I congratulate our Prime Minister for recognising that sports can play a key role in binding our people into the fabric of a rainbow nation.

In ancient times the Greeks and Romans used the Olympic Games for the construction and consolidation of their empires. In modern times the British Empire Games evolved into the Commonwealth Games and is currently used to foster harmony and camaraderie amongst Commonwealth nations. Our nation participates in both the Olympics and Commonwealth Games.

In T&T soca and chutney are indigenous music melodies invented by the two major ethnic groups. All other ethnic groups and races participate in and enjoy these songs. Soca and chutney are part of everyday life of approximately 70 per cent of our people.

The T&T Warriors have diligently positioned themselves for a good run at the football World Cup 2006 in Germany. One hundred per cent of our people are behind the Warriors. Since the Warriors will represent the soca and chutney population, I want to suggest that the powers responsible adopt the name SocaChutney Warriors (SCW) for our team. I believe that the SCW will incise its way far into the World Cup football hierarchy.

Now that a proposed $50 million budget of soca and chutney taxes and petroleum revenues will be dedicated to our team, it will be an appropriate time to consider my proposal.

I am confident that the SocaChutney Warriors could be the long-awaited catalyst required to achieve the elusive national unity.

I will copy this letter to Oliver Camps and Jack Warner and the T&T Football Federation.

Bill Chaitan
Via e-mail

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 27, 2006, 10:07:16 AM »
bill chaitan give up

we not changing shyt
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Add Chutney to Soca Warriors
« Reply #226 on: January 27, 2006, 11:42:24 AM »

In T&T soca and chutney are indigenous music melodies invented by the two major ethnic groups. All other ethnic groups and races participate in and enjoy these songs. Soca and chutney are part of everyday life of approximately 70 per cent of our people.

bullshit! this man clearly eh know he culture.

also, if i in a fete and a DJ put on a chutney song, is carib bottle flying towards he ass! i hate it!

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 27, 2006, 11:44:11 AM »

bullshit! this man clearly eh know he culture.

also, if i in a fete and a DJ put on a chutney song, is carib bottle flying towards he ass! i hate it!

boy you mad.  it had some chutney raise Trinidad like a jep nest the past few years.  Jhim Jhim Jooma or Rum Till I die for example

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 27, 2006, 11:45:43 AM »
me eh know them tunes breds. wha dat is? a woman screeching like a cat in heat to some weakened soca melodies?

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 27, 2006, 11:49:08 AM »

That was uncalled for Andre..you can't fight BS with BS, chaitan talk tata, but doh let dat bring out hate in you. chutney is we music too and it have some hot ones out there..it have shetee soca too, but nobody pelt the DJ.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2006, 11:53:28 AM »
sowa,

i eh have no hate for nobody. i just hate that kind a music. is real annoy me dred. is like the same way i hate techno music. yuh see wha i saying?

i wouldn't pelt the DJ though with a glass bottle though. that is what plastic for.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2006, 11:56:16 AM »
sowa,

i eh have no hate for nobody. i just hate that kind a music. is real annoy me dred. is like the same way i hate techno music. yuh see wha i saying?

i wouldn't pelt the DJ though with a glass bottle though. that is what plastic for.

Well Andre you must be eh hit Trini in a while cause chutney mashing up real dance now.  The two tunes I just name was big hits.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2006, 11:57:58 AM »
not since august 2004 man. i didn't go no fete though. i was supposed to go to the parrot but somebody wanted to go sit down is schupid friday's instead. they eh play no chutney there though.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2006, 02:15:29 PM »
sowa,

Ah take it yuh didn't grow up Trinidad. Cos Latayla and Chutney Bacchanal is two classics that mashing up any fete.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2006, 02:32:59 PM »
 Any time they change that name I not supporting the National Team...Chutney is a hybrid from Soca anyway....That is high class foolishness...That is over doing it...That is not unity...if Chutney is a Hybrid of Soca why not call it Soca Indian music? This whole chutney soca warriors thing promoting racism and seperation...T&T doomed to hell if that name change...

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2006, 02:59:17 PM »
Ah take it yuh didn't grow up Trinidad. Cos Latayla and Chutney Bacchanal is two classics that mashing up any fete.

i leave trinidad in 1989 dred. the closest thing a big chutney tune it had back them was mr. bisesar.

anyhow, i sample some of them tune on torontolime.com today. like i say before, is a set a bullshit.

"rum til i die" = ignorant repetitive shit

i think i know de lotila one. they used to play it in spirits/scruples in miami (the so fla posse go know the scene). that was a good time to go buy drinks and to get a bottle to pelt the fat whiteboy DJ. i forget he name.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2006, 03:11:21 PM »
Any time they change that name I not supporting the National Team

???

I know yuh doh really mean dat.

GO SOCA WARRIORS

Offline Stevie-Lu

• New Warrior
  • Go SocaWarriors!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2006, 08:23:23 PM »
Chit talk dong de line...True true Trini's wee

Bless allyuh heart

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keep chutney away from Soca Warriors
« Reply #238 on: January 28, 2006, 09:14:58 PM »
Letter to the Trinidad Newsday

THE EDITOR: Some insecure members of our community wish to put their stamp on the Soca Warriors name. Allow me to point out why this would make us look idiotic.

It is a small-island characteristic to assume that the world knows as much about us as we know about the world. For example, most of us here believe the world to be in a constant state of gratitude to Trinidad for inventing things like the steelpan.

Relating this to the football issue. We already have a team name that uses a word completely unknown in the wider world; that word is ‘soca.’ Until and unless someone from here makes an effort to explain ‘soca’ to the world’s press, they will simply think we don’t know how to spell ‘soccer.’

To this, some would add the word ‘chutney.’ Now, as far as the wider english-speaking world is concerned, chutney is not a music-form. It’s a spicy sauce you eat with curry.

To sum up: The Trinidad and Tobago Soca Chutney Warriors would communicate a team of poorly educated curry fanatics. Wait, nuh. Dat is we! Go Soca Chutney Warriors!

MAURICE SCOTT
St James

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2006, 10:19:31 PM »
me eh know them tunes breds. wha dat is? a woman screeching like a cat in heat to some weakened soca melodies?

Dude...stop making an ass of yuhself, cuss de idiots agitating fuh name-change fuh they assery...doh emulate dem with more assery.

1]; } ?>