April 28, 2024, 07:32:10 PM

Author Topic: History of the word soccer and it's origins.....  (Read 8357 times)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
History of the word soccer and it's origins.....
« on: October 30, 2005, 04:23:24 PM »
Origin of the term ’soccer’.
From where did the term soccer originate? I was puzzling this at a bar in the UK recently while watching a match on the telly, wondering why the rest of the world referred to this game as “football”, while we Americans referred to it as “soccer”. Logically, the rest of the world is right; in American football, the foot only connects with the ball for punts, kickoffs, and extra points — for most of the game, it’s carried or passed, both involving the hand, not the foot. Was the term “soccer” an American creation? How did we get to this name? As it turns out, it’s not an American term, but to understand it, you have to learn a little bit of soccer’s history.

Soccer traces its origins to Roman times in the first century AD. For the most part, it did not involve carrying the ball, hence the rather appropriate name. That split happened at Rugby School in England, where carrying the ball, as opposed to kicking it, came into vogue in the 1800’s, giving rise to the game of rugby. This same century saw the creation of the Football Association, the ruling body for English football. Rugby and soccer went their separate ways, with football under FA rules being called properly “Association Football”.

From here, you have to understand British abbreviations. They would often drop the end of a word, ending it with an -er, e.g. “rugger” for rugby. Hence, Association Football would get shortened to “asoccer football”, eventually being dropped to just “soccer”. In UK media, the term “soccer” is frequently used to refer to the sport, apparently. It’s just in common parlance that it’s not. (Americans would later bring rugby and soccer to Yale and modify the rules, giving birth to modern American football, hence its rather inauspicious name.)

So the term “soccer” isn’t wrong, per se. In fact, it’s of English origin, created around the same time as the game itself, though it is slang. The term has just fallen out of general use outside of the US. If you want to keep from getting beat up at rowdy UK bars, though, you’d do well to refer to soccer as football. Even calling it by its proper name, ‘association football’, might get you an odd word or two. When in Rome, do as Romans do, right?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 08:42:47 PM by Tallman »

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
Re: history of the word soccer and it's origins.....
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 05:41:45 PM »
dem Americans better move to Rome....and do like the rest of the world.

FOOTBALL [/glow]
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline pufftrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 07:34:16 PM »
Origin of the term ’soccer’.
From here, you have to understand British abbreviations. They would often drop the end of a word, ending it with an -er, e.g. “rugger” for rugby.

All yuh remember Nello "Teacher Percy say that when u lie u going to hell as soon as u die."

Hear Nello, his tailor don't even have to see the man to make the suit, jus show him the corner where the fella pass.

Saga pinto, what tata is dis u posting on a sunday night. boy u have me in stitches.
every man has the right to an opinion but that does not give him the right to be a jackass

Offline Redbelt

• SHIFT_Redline
  • Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • PiracyUnlimited.com, Anime & Manga
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 07:45:18 PM »
Football is played by the foot.
I say let them call thier American football soccer
soccer doesn't mean a thing to me  8)

Offline SydneyFC

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Sydney FC Unofficial
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 09:17:20 PM »
Actually Association Football was shorterned to Assoc. Football and hence Soccer was derived from that!  :)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 10:02:44 PM »
Puff trini I agree with you it's tata yes but interesting view nevertheless.

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 10:12:30 PM »
    Yeah it makes sense for American Football to be called "soccer" and just keep football where it is. FIFA Football forever!!

Another historic reason for the tem "soccer" in North America has to be the fact that up to 10 years ago America really sucked in football and Canada is still a shit team thus making what North America play being rightly termed soccer. If T&T was to play American Football we would obviously suck at it since we never had any infrastructure and the game is obviously not big here, hence we would and should call THAT game "soccer". Soccer should be a generic name given to all sports that a team or country cannot play well, or does not devote enough time or effort in order to learn and want to play well. Hence Canada should stick to calling football, "soccer" but America has improved and thus actually call it football. However let them keep it soccer and if we get in the WC I would love for us to play them and show the world that they suck at it on the big stage and we play real football.

It really was a big day in the 1998 WC when Iran beat the US 2-1 eh!! I was so happy.  :rotfl:

J.  ;D
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

TrinInfinite

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 11:00:35 PM »
i stickin wit football, all dese non football lovers always sayin soccer, dey de ones dat feel de US will win every world cup :rotfl:

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 12:17:42 AM »
it stupid for them to call it soccer, right there it says its slang, but its the american way, they cant do like every1 else they have to be differnt. but i go leave them because usa does really play soccer and not football. Hyperhot J so i guess usa best at soccer in trute.  :beermug:

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
What's in the name?
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 06:19:26 PM »
I don't know if this was dicussed before, but for a long time the name of our beloved game, the "world most popular game", " the beautiful game" know all over the world as FOOTBALL seems to be slowly morphing into SOCCER, mostly pushed by the Americans, because they have their own so called "football" Now you see things like "Man Utd Soccer School" or in trini, this and that "soccer clinic"
I know people say the name originated from England in the late 1800's but my argument is that name was not given to the game, but the the organisation that controlled the game...in other words Soccer back then was taken from association football to refer to the FA, not the game. This was to distinguish them from the union who controlled Rugby. Rugby being the sport the started football, yes football as we know it now was a breakaway from rugby with the rules change to have dribbling and a round ball intead of handling an oval ball. Anyway my point is why is the world giving way to the Americans by calling the game soccer and not football, which is it's rightfull name? The americans took rugby, centuries after it was created and make their own version and called it football, guess because back in the day it was called rugby football, but who gives them the right to call football "soccer" and expect the world to follow suit. Do you think the world would give in and call it soccer and give america win? Or should the world find another name for the USA to call their football? like handball? or runners? of even american rugby? what do you guys think?
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

MickeyRat

Re: What's in the name?
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 06:28:33 PM »

I think you should take a phensic, that deep......  ;)

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 06:28:44 PM »
This debate will continue for years to come. I live in MD and when I am talking to West Indians I use football, but Americans cannot seem to get it out of their heads that their football is the rightful name for their sport.

I will continue to stick with my "football" until OXFORD AND WEBSTER dictionary and FIFA officially change it.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 06:40:44 PM »

;D actually, this is de watered down version..did not want to make it too long..but when it comes to dis topic, ah have a lot to vent..but ah just wanted to see what others thought about it..or is it a non issue for the masses?

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 06:45:48 PM »
I don't have any problem with Americans calling the game soccer...They need a name because football already taken.  The problem i have is when countries know better..eg. Trini start calling it Soccer that is pure dotishness.  There is no sophistication in the name soccer so I don't no why football playing nations want the apease the US and join their delima. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

MickeyRat

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 06:51:19 PM »

;D actually, this is de watered down version..did not want to make it too long..but when it comes to dis topic, ah have a lot to vent..but ah just wanted to see what others thought about it..or is it a non issue for the masses?

Big Up!

No worries.

America will do anything to change/and make anything theirs.  Take basketball for instance, invented James Naismith, a Canadian PE teacher in 18** something.
But ask the average american, you would swear they invented the game.

I hear yuh.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 06:58:18 PM »
I didn't even know that your see stupidness.  That is the power of propaganda right dey.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 07:01:35 PM »
And dat is also a variation of NETBALL played all over the world, except you know where, yes the USA..ask any of them about netball, they don't know what de hell you talking bout ???

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 07:08:24 PM »
and didnt baseball come from cricket? i heard a few people say that, anyway most americans dunno cricket either, makes me laugh how they does have ah world series but is only north americans playin. nex ting MLS go be renamed world cup  ;D

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 07:26:23 PM »
DeSoWa,
  Two reasons why a lot of former "football" people call it "soccer" now:
1. Undeliberately: The American media is very powerful. Whether or not they intend to, the media is a good example of brainwash. Some people hear "soccer" so much that eventually their tongue begin to slip.

As an example of the power of the media, take for instance American Football. They drill it into you by all the ESPN interviews and highlights and play-by-play breakdowns, it takes a real effort not to start liking the game. So when they drilling the word soccer, soccer, soccer..all de time, yuh see the result.

2. Deliberately: As someone said, some people deliberately do it because they think it sophisticated to call the game by "soccer" instead of the name they used all their lives. Doh let it bun yuh, is their choice.
Ketch footballitis

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 07:32:01 PM »
I don't get this problem with people choosing to use one term rather than another. There are several names that are used in America that are not used elsewhere and it is  not a problem.

Soccer is an accepted alternate name for football, not an American creation, and since they have another sport that is generally known as football using soccer makes sense.

We use football, they use soccer. I don't see a problem.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 08:38:23 PM »
I don't get this problem with people choosing to use one term rather than another. There are several names that are used in America that are not used elsewhere and it is  not a problem.

Soccer is an accepted alternate name for football, not an American creation, and since they have another sport that is generally known as football using soccer makes sense.

Exactly I mean in Italy calcio (meaning to kick)

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: History of the word soccer and it's origins.....
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 09:06:00 PM »
they should jus call american football soccer...de word have nothing to do with de sport.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 09:08:00 PM »
ah think baseball come from  a game called rounders.
the amercian media just have too much influence
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 09:30:47 PM »

I wonder if these idiots know how schupid and ignorant they sounding by crying dong de americans?  Some ah allyuh clowns ever stop tuh consider that the term was likely coined not by 'Americans' per se, but by expatriates from soccer-loving nations who needed a way to market our beloved sport while not confusing it with an already existing product ('American' football)?

Some ah allyuh would do well tuh shut allyuh ass and open allyuh minds instead...

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 11:02:20 PM »
Also an American Football (pigskin) is a foot in length.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 11:07:33 PM »
Bake n shark u missing the point...the term soccer was short for association...not to refer to the game per se but the organisation that headed the game...the game was NEVER called soccer..and we FOOTBALL was around LONG before American Football..so ppl did not call it soccer because of american football...america called in that after they stole the name for their make up sport. We have to stop thinking that what ever USA do is right and everybody else is wrong..learn to stand up for what you believe in..don't be fooled and brainwashed.

Big Up!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 11:09:22 PM by DeSoWa »
Warrior Nation Member

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2006, 03:37:50 AM »
DeSoWa,
  Two reasons why a lot of former "football" people call it "soccer" now:
1. Undeliberately: The American media is very powerful. Whether or not they intend to, the media is a good example of brainwash. Some people hear "soccer" so much that eventually their tongue begin to slip.

As an example of the power of the media, take for instance American Football. They drill it into you by all the ESPN interviews and highlights and play-by-play breakdowns, it takes a real effort not to start liking the game. So when they drilling the word soccer, soccer, soccer..all de time, yuh see the result.

2. Deliberately: As someone said, some people deliberately do it because they think it sophisticated to call the game by "soccer" instead of the name they used all their lives. Doh let it bun yuh, is their choice.

Yep the media means to brainwash, how ya tink they had people belivin in 9/11 and iraq war, so if they could do that then is nuttin to make people call football soccer  ;D

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2006, 04:36:19 AM »
Bake n shark u missing the point...the term soccer was short for association...not to refer to the game per se but the organisation that headed the game...the game was NEVER called soccer..and we FOOTBALL was around LONG before American Football..so ppl did not call it soccer because of american football...america called in that after they stole the name for their make up sport. We have to stop thinking that what ever USA do is right and everybody else is wrong..learn to stand up for what you believe in..don't be fooled and brainwashed.

Big Up!

But is not just the US that calls it soccer.  I have Irish friends who say they call it soccer to distinguish it from Gaelic football which is one of their national sports.

Not sure what Gaelic football is but it sounds like a sport that Triniman would play.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2006, 06:23:28 AM »
Arrow gaelic football is a real dread sport.....its rugby, football and basketball mixed into one.

yuh does hadda run and bounce or drop the ball and raise it while running.it have a dual goal post......regular goalpost with keeper downstairs and then the post does extend upward like rugby post.

Fox sports used to bring the games long time but I agree......any game that requires a pum pum shorts and man jumping on yuh back and trying to pull yuh on the ground.........yuh  must stay far away !

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2006, 06:33:06 AM »
Arrow gaelic football is a real dread sport.....its rugby, football and basketball mixed into one.

yuh does hadda run and bounce or drop the ball and raise it while running.it have a dual goal post......regular goalpost with keeper downstairs and then the post does extend upward like rugby post.

Fox sports used to bring the games long time but I agree......any game that requires a pum pum shorts and man jumping on yuh back and trying to pull yuh on the ground.........yuh  must stay far away !

touches de ball circle?
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

1]; } ?>