April 28, 2024, 02:14:51 PM

Author Topic: History of the word soccer and it's origins.....  (Read 8351 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: History of the word soccer and it's origins.....
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2006, 06:47:01 AM »
Hmmmmmm good information. I thought since it is de Yanks dat does use it , it come from a man going home after ah football game an he wife eh put out he Bar-b-Que steak, beer an remote fuh him an he.

1. Sock her in her face an blame it on de game

2. Pelt he Sock at her an blame it on de game.

3. Tell heself he was ah sucker fuh getting married to her in de fus place an blame it on de game.

4. Get horny an suck her an blame it on de game
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2006, 07:20:11 AM »
Bake n shark u missing the point...the term soccer was short for association...not to refer to the game per se but the organisation that headed the game...the game was NEVER called soccer..and we FOOTBALL was around LONG before American Football..so ppl did not call it soccer because of american football...america called in that after they stole the name for their make up sport. We have to stop thinking that what ever USA do is right and everybody else is wrong..learn to stand up for what you believe in..don't be fooled and brainwashed.

Big Up!

This is not accurate and it doesn't make sense. "Soccer" was used to refer to our football before the americans started using it. It was simply less popular than "football" and when "rugby football" became widely recognized as "Rugby" there was no longer a need to distinguish between the two and "soccer" died away in Britain.

Countries that have other types of football (like Australia and Ireland) still use "soccer" not because they have been brainwashed by Americans but because it makes sense to them.

Imagine if an Englishman was to get upset if he come Trinidad and yuh tell him that yuh going to play "small goal". It is just a different name that adds clarity and avoids confusion.

Now I agree that there is still a drive to marginalize our football in America and that is lamentable but naming it "soccer" is not really a part of that. And getting them to call our football "football" and not "socccer" makes no sense because there is already a sport accepted as "football" that is not going to disappear just because the rest of the world is not playing it. It does not matter whether the sport is "made up" (to my knowledge all sports must have an origin) or not it is the sport that they recognize as football, it is their culture and yuh can't vex them for that.

Similarly we call the act of people getting together a "lime". Does that make sense to anybody else? Would it make sense to us to call it anything else? No but it is a name that we recognize, part of our lexicon. I have non-trini friends who use the term now because it helps us communicate and they don't see any problem with it.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2006, 07:31:39 AM »
Bake n shark u missing the point...the term soccer was short for association...not to refer to the game per se but the organisation that headed the game...the game was NEVER called soccer..and we FOOTBALL was around LONG before American Football..so ppl did not call it soccer because of american football...america called in that after they stole the name for their make up sport. We have to stop thinking that what ever USA do is right and everybody else is wrong..learn to stand up for what you believe in..don't be fooled and brainwashed.

Big Up!

This is not accurate and it doesn't make sense. "Soccer" was used to refer to our football before the americans started using it. It was simply less popular than "football" and when "rugby football" became widely recognized as "Rugby" there was no longer a need to distinguish between the two and "soccer" died away in Britain.

Countries that have other types of football (like Australia and Ireland) still use "soccer" not because they have been brainwashed by Americans but because it makes sense to them.

Imagine if an Englishman was to get upset if he come Trinidad and yuh tell him that yuh going to play "small goal". It is just a different name that adds clarity and avoids confusion.

Now I agree that there is still a drive to marginalize our football in America and that is lamentable but naming it "soccer" is not really a part of that. And getting them to call our football "football" and not "socccer" makes no sense because there is already a sport accepted as "football" that is not going to disappear just because the rest of the world is not playing it. It does not matter whether the sport is "made up" (to my knowledge all sports must have an origin) or not it is the sport that they recognize as football, it is their culture and yuh can't vex them for that.

Similarly we call the act of people getting together a "lime". Does that make sense to anybody else? Would it make sense to us to call it anything else? No but it is a name that we recognize, part of our lexicon. I have non-trini friends who use the term now because it helps us communicate and they don't see any problem with it.

" Lime"
Emerged just before the WW11, trinis used to watch the english sailors gather in groups outside rumshops and whorehouses and refer to them as a set of "limeys". Pretty soon trinis who did the same thereafter described such activities as liming or having a lime
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2006, 02:39:08 PM »
I hear you fishs and company..but my beef is with people who calls it FOOTBALL and now starting to call it SOCCER..and would the whole world now start calling it SOCCER and end what we know as football. In the Olympics it's still called football, would that change? would FIFA be changed to FISA? call it waht u want, but don't force me to call it what you want. Liming is different..it's a slang..only my close friends here I used it with and they no what I am talking bout..to everyone else we HANG OUT ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2006, 04:11:22 PM »

Big Up!

I got yuh point pardna...I juss disagreed with it.  It wasn't called "Association" football for the organisation, but for their sport itself.  But we could agree to disagree... :beermug:

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2006, 05:24:00 PM »

Big Up!

" Lime"
Emerged just before the WW11, trinis used to watch the english sailors gather in groups outside rumshops and whorehouses and refer to them as a set of "limeys". Pretty soon trinis who did the same thereafter described such activities as liming or having a lime

THANKS FOR DE "LIME" DEFINITION ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2006, 05:56:54 PM »

Big Up!

I got yuh point pardna...I juss disagreed with it.  It wasn't called "Association" football for the organisation, but for their sport itself.  But we could agree to disagree... :beermug:

I did not say the organisation was called "association football", but the term "asoccer" later shortened to "soccer" was only to refer to the "association" part of "association football" and not the game. So in other words, they would say the playing "asoccer football" and not "rugby football" anyways..is one love ah just don't like the name..dais just me...

Big Up!  :beermug:
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2006, 05:58:31 PM »
you kick de ball wit yuh foot.

hence football.

I will never call it soccer.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2006, 06:53:51 PM »

hence football.

I refered to this is in another topic today,if you are involved and have to deal with these ppl on a daily basis like i do it becomes second nature to use the term Soccer,it was one of the hardest things i've ever had to do during my Football career,i often got caught saying Football very often when i newly came here and ppl used to watch me like what he talking about,i even failed courses because of it,the bottom line is if you are involved here you got to change.

I understand and agree with what a lot of you guys are saying but when in Rome the saying is do as the Romans do,the Americans not going to change the name of their Football to Soccer,it's a cultural thing to them it have a lot of history and tradition attached to the game,if you give any American a choice which sport they would rather their child play they will tell you American Football,a lot of kids here play Football one season and Soccer the other.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It’s football to you, soccer to me
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 07:15:02 PM »
    It’s football to you, soccer to me

By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports
4 hours, 36 minutes ago

Email Print
Follow Martin Rogers on Twitter at @mrogersyahoo

JOHANNESBURG – No matter how much the United States continues to emerge as a competitive World Cup nation, there is little doubt that the international perception of American soccer will always be doused with suspicion.

The roots of calling the beautiful game "soccer" started in a surprising place.

(Lars Baron/Getty Images)
 Why? Because Americans don’t even call the sport by its proper name, of course. They don’t call it “football.” They call it “soccer.”

In the USA, football is that game that dominates winter Sundays and features Lycra, helmets and men so large they should come with their own zip code.

Related Video
 Final predictions Final predictions

Tough S. America

Messi the best?

More International Football Videos Other World Cup Stories
Scandal could help U.S. World Cup bid Unusual punishment for World Cup team More From Martin Rogers
Henry to MLS would be bad move jul 1, 2010 Ghana takes a pass on partying jul 1, 2010 ADVERTISEMENT

Elsewhere, football is football. The round-ball sport, the beautiful game, with its biggest prize to be handed out here on July 11.

Soccer? Pah, a silly American term created by a nation that has its own national obsession.

No country has been snootier toward the USA’s use of the term “soccer” than England. Before the Group C opener between the two sides in Rustenburg, the Sun newspaper even ran a spoof front page urging Fabio Capello’s side to win the “soccerball world series.”

But let’s take a halftime break here.

Coupled with their team’s humiliating exit from the World Cup it might be another rude awakening to the Brits that soccer isn’t an American term, it is actually an English one. And it isn’t some modern fad that shows disrespect to the world’s most popular sport, it dates back to the earliest days of the game’s professional history.

Indeed, until the last few decades, even Englishmen would routinely refer to their favorite pastime as soccer, just as often as they would say football.

Clive Toye, an Englishman who moved to the U.S. and became known as the father of modern American soccer, bringing Brazilian legend Pele to play for the New York Cosmos, takes up the story.

“Soccer is a synonym for football,” said Toye, who helped launch the North American Soccer League in the late 1960s. “And it has been used as such for more years than I can count. When I was a kid in England and grabbed a ball to go out and play … I would just as easily have said: ‘Let’s have a game of soccer’ as I would use the word ‘football’ instead. And I didn’t start it.”

To trace the origin of “soccer” we must go all the way back to 1863, and a meeting of gentlemen at a London pub, who congregated with the purpose of standardizing the rules of “football,” which was in its infant years as an organized sport but was growing rapidly in popularity.

Those assembled became the founding members of the Football Association (which still oversees the game in England to this day). And they decided to call their code Association Football, to differentiate it from Rugby Football.

A quirk of British culture is the permanent need to familiarize names by shortening them. “My friend Brian Johnston was Johnners,” said Toye. “They took the third, fourth and fifth letters of Association and called it SOCcer. So there you are.”

So forget that English condescension and carry on calling it soccer, safe in the knowledge that you’re more in tune with the roots of the sport than those mocking Brits.

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: It’s football to you, soccer to me
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
Interesting

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2010, 12:00:06 PM »
After all the us haters talking they stink mouth.allyuh quiet now. Doh let meh go in the thread and call names
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2010, 12:06:54 PM »
After all the us haters talking they stink mouth.allyuh quiet now. Doh let meh go in the thread and call names

wha de arse are you going on about?? and how is it relevant to this thread?
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

AirMan

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2010, 01:24:53 AM »

wha de arse are you going on about?? and how is it relevant to this thread?

hmm so why you so defensive ??...like yuh get called out lol

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »
Did u just use the word relevant? Boy hull yuh arse eh

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2010, 10:37:35 AM »
The word "soccer" is stupid and  ambiguous, it says nothing at all about the sport or how it's played (but then again, so is "cricket").  The Americans (and Aussies and S. Africans, if true) rightly deserve the stick the get for their obstinacy.  This article is old news, we all by now know the origins of the term... doesn't make it any less a backside term.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2010, 11:24:43 AM »
Did u just use the word relevant? Boy hull yuh arse eh

hull yuh stinking mudder cont right back... just so you wake up and decide to be a backside
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »
Just nice to see that we agree that you could hull yuh muda count

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2010, 04:06:25 PM »

hence football.

plain and simple!!!

1]; } ?>