April 24, 2024, 11:21:16 AM

Author Topic: England has a Glut of World Class Center Backs  (Read 5922 times)

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
England has a Glut of World Class Center Backs
« on: February 08, 2006, 09:59:01 AM »
I will go on the record and say that at thet moment, England has too many center backs to choose from:  Ferdinand, King, Terry, Woodgate (although he is still trying to get on a roll), Carragher, Zack Knight, and I'll even throw in Ferdinand's younger brother Anton, who is rumored to be on Rijkaard's summer shopping list.  Not even Brazil or Argentina, Germany, Italy, and company can boast of having a plethora of world class center halves from which to choose. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 10:45:26 AM by Tenorsaw »

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: England has a Glut ot World Class Center Backs
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 10:00:54 AM »
Not even Brazil or Argentina, Germany, Italy, and company can boast of having a plethora of world class center halves from which to choose. 

You mean "center backs" right?

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 10:44:50 AM »
Not even Brazil or Argentina, Germany, Italy, and company can boast of having a plethora of world class center halves from which to choose. 

The position was formerly referred to as centre half. In the early part of the 20th century, when most teams employed the 2-3-5 formation, the row of three players were called half backs. As formations evolved, the central player in this trio (the centre half), moved into a more defensive position on the field, taking the name of the position with him or her.  (wikepedia.com)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 10:49:33 AM »

The position was formerly referred to as centre half. In the early part of the 20th century, when most teams employed the 2-3-5 formation, the row of three players were called half backs. As formations evolved, the central player in this trio (the centre half), moved into a more defensive position on the field, taking the name of the position with him or her.  (wikepedia.com)

You're making this statement based on what exactly?  Do you watch other League football (other than EPL) on a regular basis to make such a statement?  Seeing that you include the likes of Ledley King, Rio Ferdinand, Carragher, Zach Knight, and Anton Ferdinand, what exactly is your defintion of "world class?"

Thanks.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: England has a Glut of World Class Center Backs
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 11:05:59 AM »
I think yall mean Zat Knight. And he ain't world class.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 12:03:16 PM »
Palos.  I'm looking at international football.  If you could call four world class center backs each from Brazil, Argentina, Italy, and Germany, I'll change my mind.  Huth is in the running for Germany, and he cyar even crack Chelsea's eleven.  Roque Junior, Brazil's first choice center back, is a disaster waiting to happen, Walter Samuel, is Argentina's best at that position, Spain has a few, and Holland is grooming some up and coming.  The international side with the most options at that position is England.  That is what I'm saying.  Until you prove me otherwise, I am sticking to my assertion.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 12:25:11 PM »
Palos.  I'm looking at international football.  If you could call four world class center backs each from Brazil, Argentina, Italy, and Germany, I'll change my mind.  Huth is in the running for Germany, and he cyar even crack Chelsea's eleven.  Roque Junior, Brazil's first choice center back, is a disaster waiting to happen, Walter Samuel, is Argentina's best at that position, Spain has a few, and Holland is grooming some up and coming.  The international side with the most options at that position is England.  That is what I'm saying.  Until you prove me otherwise, I am sticking to my assertion.

Nicely put  a better question qould probably be what is his definiton in comparison to yours.....theyre not as common as they used to be  but england has  a few although I wouldnt put zat knight there
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 12:28:44 PM by Ngozi »

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 12:27:09 PM »
all this center back talk is nonsense...the most defensive team last world cup was Brazil....go and check the records

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 12:54:28 PM »
This is not no revelation.  People have been saying this for years.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 12:57:25 PM »
Maybe what you say about Junior is true but he played well in 2002 WC. Brazil also has Lucio, Edmilson, Cacapa & Cris plus who knows what they will show up with.

ferdinand for me when it matter seems to always get caught wanting. Terry is in a purple patch at the moment. Woodgate have potential but injury prone. Zat is not World Class by any stretch.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 01:35:07 PM »
If you could call four world class center backs each from Brazil, Argentina, Italy, and Germany, I'll change my mind

True, England have quite a few candidates, but really all you need is 3 - 2 to start and one sub. I reckon the other teams will be alright, particularly when it comes to picking the stongest 2 (as opposed to picking your best 5 or 6)

Brazil: Edmilson, Lucio, Maxwell
Argentina: Samuel, Ayala, Sorin, Coloccini, Heinze...
Italy: Cannavaro, Nesta, Materazzi
Spain: Puyol, Ivan Helguera, Marchena

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 01:38:32 PM »
I think d man just trying to say that England have plenty options at that position, what is the embodiment of a World Class player anyways? To me dem ting is straight opinion. There will always be detractors
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline juventus_fc

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 01:46:26 PM »
Hoss....Italy have more than four top class centre halves....Nesta, Cannavaro (the 2 best in the world), Materazzi , Bonera, Grosso and Zaccardo.....and while all them men not be the best in the world...they definetly in King, Knight and dem boy category

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 01:52:08 PM »
Hoss....Italy have more than four top class centre halves....Nesta, Cannavaro (the 2 best in the world), Materazzi , Bonera, Grosso and Zaccardo.....and while all them men not be the best in the world...they definetly in King, Knight and dem boy category

From de time dah man start to call Knight, King, Anton Ferdinand and dem men so, I done realize is pure EPL he does be on.  Not surprisin because dat is de League dat does get de most exposure.  But to be callin anybody but John Terry from England World Class jes show yuh what de deal is.

As a man say, is a matter of opinion so me cyah tell nobody what to think.  If he feel dem fellas is World Class...who is me to tell he different?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 02:03:34 PM »
Palos. I'm looking at international football. If you could call four world class center backs each from Brazil, Argentina, Italy, and Germany, I'll change my mind. Huth is in the running for Germany, and he cyar even crack Chelsea's eleven. Roque Junior, Brazil's first choice center back, is a disaster waiting to happen, Walter Samuel, is Argentina's best at that position, Spain has a few, and Holland is grooming some up and coming. The international side with the most options at that position is England. That is what I'm saying. Until you prove me otherwise, I am sticking to my assertion.

Nicely put a better question qould probably be what is his definiton in comparison to yours.....theyre not as common as they used to be but england has a few although I wouldnt put zat knight there

I'm just looking at the selection pool available.  Zat Knoght would be the last option in that pool.
all this center back talk is nonsense...the most defensive team last world cup was Brazil....go and check the records

We talking about players for a particular position right now, and right now Brazil does not have the luxury of a rich selestion pool.  Look at the position of the players that they export.  I ain't see no world class center backs coming out of Brazil, or else man like Roque Juinior, who I thin is horrible, would not be playing for Brazil.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 02:05:35 PM »
If you could call four world class center backs each from Brazil, Argentina, Italy, and Germany, I'll change my mind

True, England have quite a few candidates, but really all you need is 3 - 2 to start and one sub. I reckon the other teams will be alright, particularly when it comes to picking the stongest 2 (as opposed to picking your best 5 or 6)

Brazil: Edmilson, Lucio, Maxwell
Argentina: Samuel, Ayala, Sorin, Coloccini, Heinze...
Italy: Cannavaro, Nesta, Materazzi
Spain: Puyol, Ivan Helguera, Marchena

Get yuh facts straight.  Heinz is a left back in the attacking mold of Roberto Carlos, but better defensively, in my opinion.  We talking bout center backs hers.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 02:06:11 PM »
Palos. I'm looking at international football. If you could call four world class center backs each from Brazil, Argentina, Italy, and Germany, I'll change my mind. Huth is in the running for Germany, and he cyar even crack Chelsea's eleven. Roque Junior, Brazil's first choice center back, is a disaster waiting to happen, Walter Samuel, is Argentina's best at that position, Spain has a few, and Holland is grooming some up and coming. The international side with the most options at that position is England. That is what I'm saying. Until you prove me otherwise, I am sticking to my assertion.

Nicely put a better question qould probably be what is his definiton in comparison to yours.....theyre not as common as they used to be but england has a few although I wouldnt put zat knight there

I'm just looking at the selection pool available.  Zat Knoght would be the last option in that pool.

We talking about players for a particular position right now, and right now Brazil does not have the luxury of a rich selestion pool.  Look at the position of the players that they export.  I ain't see no world class center backs coming out of Brazil, or else man like Roque Juinior, who I thin is horrible, would not be playing for Brazil.

So yuh eh rate. Lucio, Edmilson and Cacapa then
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 02:08:46 PM »

From de time dah man start to call Knight, King, Anton Ferdinand and dem men so, I done realize is pure EPL he does be on. Not surprisin because dat is de League dat does get de most exposure. But to be callin anybody but John Terry from England World Class jes show yuh what de deal is.

As a man say, is a matter of opinion so me cyah tell nobody what to think. If he feel dem fellas is World Class...who is me to tell he different?

Palos.  I am talking bout richness of selection pool.  I guess my title was a bit controversial, but it is spurring on good discussion here.  Would you deny that England have the most options of players that can step in and make an impact in that position internationally?  And yes, I watch Italian, French, German, and Argentine football.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 02:12:14 PM by Tenorsaw »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 02:25:48 PM »

best defensive record doesn't mean most defensive
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 02:31:06 PM »
Get yuh facts straight.  Heinz is a left back in the attacking mold of Roberto Carlos, but better defensively, in my opinion.  We talking bout center backs hers.

Long time that I haven't seen Argentina but I believe that Heinze plays as one of three centre-backs for Argentina with Coloccini and Ayala. Sorin and Zanetti play the flanks, defending and attacking.

Heinze does pull to cover the left but he is not a left back for Argentina.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 02:36:20 PM »
Get yuh facts straight.  Heinz is a left back in the attacking mold of Roberto Carlos, but better defensively, in my opinion.  We talking bout center backs hers.

Heinze can play both left back and centre back. I think he played regularly as a centre back when he was at PSG.

Heinze can play at left back but he prefers central defence.
Source: http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/sport/football/manchesterunited/s/118/118287_heinze_on_the_brink.html

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2006, 02:41:01 PM »
I think Heinze, if he recovers, will play as the left back in the World Cup, and Collocini and Samuel will be in the middle of the defence. He looks very good on the overlap.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2006, 02:42:31 PM »
I think Heinze, if he recovers, will play as the left back in the World Cup, and Collocini and Samuel will be in the middle of the defence. He looks very good on the overlap.

but he is also a center back option....that's what they're trying to say.......

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2006, 02:42:58 PM »
Quote from: Tenorsaw

Palos.  I am talking bout richness of selection pool.  I guess my title was a bit controversial, but it is spurring on good discussion here.  Would you deny that England have the most options of players that can step in and make an impact in that position internationally?  And yes, I watch Italian, French, German, and Argentine football.

I agree with your train of thought.  I don't think there are many countries than have a central defensive partnership that is more formidable than Jamie Carragher and Ledley King would be.  and those two would only be rated after Rio, Sol and Terry in England.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 02:50:08 PM »

Either you are the Argentina coach or a seer man, either way we should hire you to work with the National team, yuh sounding like you know more than Don Leo.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 07:46:03 PM »
 England does have the best central defenders in the World....Its just a matter of pairing the right two together...Last World Cup it was Campbell and Ferdinand but this year  ???

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2006, 07:56:30 PM »
England does have the best central defenders in the World....Its just a matter of pairing the right two together...Last World Cup it was Campbell and Ferdinand but this year  ???

The majority of the footballing press that we're exposed to comes out of England, so they hype their players up to the point that we think they're the best in the World........

Campbell and Ferdinand are very good players, but if we weren't exposed to the English football press that much, they'd seem alot more ordinary....take a good unbiased look at them play.....

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2006, 08:09:36 PM »
So yuh eh rate. Lucio, Edmilson and Cacapa then

The thing I like about Brazil's defenders is that they know how to find an open man, real sweet long passes and they like to get foward, Lucio and Edmilson especially, to score goals.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2006, 09:03:37 PM »
Men hating on Roque Junior. Me eh go lie, he does pull stones when he ready, but he does play in de big games. In any case, he doh have to sweat now that Edmilson back with Lucio.(unless they play a 3-5-2).

Campbell, Terry, and Ferdinand are excellent players on their best form. Knight, Ferdinand brodda, etc. I think are all over-rated, but that is me. I am an EPL basher and think men are over-rated in this league.

MY OPINION :-\
Ketch footballitis

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2006, 11:19:48 PM »
England have good CBs but all those names u called arnt all world class, Campbell and Ferdinand would be the 2 world class but they too r disasters waiting to happen, Terry has come tru now too. the rest of them r just good. i wouldnt say world class. i nearly cryed wen i see zat name there  ;D. every body knows English players r hyped, aspecially from young. also brazil has Juan who is good i dont tink i saw any1 put his name down. anyway the best form of defence is attack/possesion as brazil prove all the time.

1]; } ?>