March 28, 2024, 11:50:41 AM

Author Topic: Justin Hoyte Thread  (Read 21397 times)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Justin Hoyte article
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 05:34:15 AM »
Sttuueeepppssss! now they realize that their english hopes are gone, now they want to represent us taking away the place from ah young player to get some recognition and make some money and further their skills and career in a foreign league.

it seems like trinidad and jamaica is ah dumping ground for england hopefuls.
whose place is that  carlos edwards??  ... he is the only real full back we have here
Says who??

daniel cyrus, curtis ganzales and kern cupid, with cupid being the least talented of the trio, are all right full backs. 

breds, doh sleep on daniel cyrus and curtis gonzales, them fellas have plenty potential, they just need to join a good league and they will develop well.

another very good defender is caryle mitchell, that boy have the speed and the mental toughness to be a top defender.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Justin Hoyte Thread
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2015, 03:34:11 AM »
Former Arsenal defender Justin Hoyte impresses Notts County and will stay with club on trial
Nottingham Post

Dean Yates says Notts County will continue to assess trialist Justin Hoyte after the former Arsenal defender's impressive display against Alfreton.

The right-back produced two assists in the 3-2 victory, first crossing for Jimmy Spencer and then cueing up for Wes Atkinson.

The Magpies are looking to fill the right-back spot having released Mustapha Dumbuya at the end of last season.

And Hoyte, released by Millwall, did his chances no harm with first-team coach Yates confirming he will stay with the Magpies.

"Justin has come in as another lad who wants a trial," he said.

"That's the beauty of it, because they want to come in and they want to do well.

"Justin is a very experienced player and he's quality. I thought he did really well. He put some quality balls in.

"He will go and join in all the time, he's a fit lad. He's a great lad and we will have another good look at him this week.

"We'll see how he goes."

Hoyte has a terrific pedigree having represented England all the way up to under-21 level and also made 78 appearances for Arsenal.

A spell at Sunderland saw him make 27 appearances, before he joined Middlesbrough in a £3m deal and played 142 games, being a key player for then-boss Tony Mowbray.

He spent time on loan at Millwall and made the move permanent last year, but made just two appearances. Hoyte was released at the end of last season and is a free agent.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2015, 08:44:13 AM »
Lovely. BraveHart will be happy.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dagenham & Redbridge sign Justin Hoyte
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2015, 02:21:31 PM »
Dagenham & Redbridge sign Justin Hoyte
By Ned Keating (Barking and Dagenham Post)

Dagenham & Redbridge have added to their defensive ranks with the signing of Justin Hoyte.

The full back joins Daggers on a non-contract basis following a period training with the club and will wear the number 32 shirt.

Hoyte has played for a whole hosts of clubs in his career, including Arsenal, Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Millwall, who released him in the summer.

The 30-year-old has achieved success during his career, winning up an FA Cup, a League Cup, two Community Shields and 12 international caps for Trinidad & Tobago.

Hoyte becomes the first new arrival in over at month at Victoria Road and manager Wayne Burnett was delighted to get his man.

“Justin’s a player with vast experience. He’s played at the top level and he will bring something to our group for sure. All credit to him because he’s a great person and he wants to continue to succeed,” Burnett told the club website.

Hoyte is not the first in the family to play for Daggers, with brother Gavin previously turning out for the club from 2012 until 2014.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Justin Hoyte bids to revive career at League Two Dagenham
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2015, 11:28:16 AM »
Justin Hoyte bids to revive career at League Two Dagenham
By Anthony Vickers (Gazette Live)

Justin Hoyte is trying to reboot his flagging career at Dagenham and Redbridge.

The former Boro full-back has signed on a non-contract basis with the north London League Two outfit.

He is hoping to get match fit and catch the eye after a year without any competitive action.

And if he doesn’t win a deal with the Dagger she hopes to prove his fitness to other clubs.

His last start was a year ago yesterday when he featured in a 3-1 home defeat for Millwall, one of just three games he played for the Lions last term.

Hoyte, now 30, had a month long spell training with Burton Albion earlier this season but didn’t do enough for Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink to offer a deal.

But he hopes that a spell with the Daggers will help him get back into the groove.

Daggers boss Wayne Burnett told the club’s official website: “Justin has been training with us for three weeks now.

“He’s a player with vast experience, has played at the top level and will bring something to our group for sure.

“All credit to him because he’s a great person and he wants to continue to succeed.”

Hoyte is set to make his debut on Saturday against Mansfield.

It has been a swift fall from grace for Hoyte.

Gareth Southgate signed him from Arsenal for £3m to replace the departed Luke Young in August 2008 and he was a regular at the Riverside for almost six seasons, playing 152 times and scoring twice.

He took a pay-cut to stay and signed a new deal under Tony Mowbray in 2012 and had a solid season.

But the following summer Mowbray brought in Frazer Richardson and said they were open to offers fro the Trinidad and Tobago international.

In 2013-14 he played just four times before being farmed out on loan to Millwall, then under Steve Lomas.

But he played just four times before Lomas was axed and Ian Holloway arrived and pushed him to the fringes and he was released last summer.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 02:56:52 PM »
I am at a loss to understand the deal with this player.

The fact that he struggles to find a club at the lower levels is very surprising.  He seems a decent player every single time i see him play.
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 03:45:06 PM »
Age and resale value as they perceive him
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2015, 06:07:53 PM »
Age and resale value as they perceive him

30 for a defender in the lower leagues cannot be an issue.  Especially a player of high pedigree and experience.
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2015, 11:21:09 PM »
Milwall sign Carlos at right back and he's 102. Same team that drop Hoyte. So I eh know if age is really de issue.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2015, 03:29:36 AM »
Hoyte happy to be back.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

English-born defender Justin Hoyte is back in the mix and he couldn’t be happier about being reunited with his teammates on the national senior team.

Hoyte entered the match against the United States in the second half and settled in quickly and proved to be a solid option for Stephen Hart off the bench.

“I think it was a great performance by the team and by the squad over the two games. Tonight was great the fans were fantastic as well. It’s really been a good week for us,” Hoyte said.

“But for me, I have to thank the coach and his staff for getting be back involved in the team again. It’s been a long summer for me.

I didn’t; have a club, trying to find one, just battling and training on my own and spending time with the family. I’m just happy to be back in the squad and among the great players we have in there.”

He described the mood on the team bench during the match before he took the field.

“It was a great atmosphere on the bench. We were all talking and jumping up and down when we could. It was fantastic and I just wanted to get on. I went for the warm up and then the manager called for me. I was over the moon when he called me and it was just a great feeling,” said the former England national youth team player.

He spoke about some of the factors that have made the team the strong unit that it is at the moment.

“I think the togetherness that we have is a big thing. We are fighting for each other and there is a great union. That’s going to push us forward. We’ve been playing with each other for a long time now. Whoever is playing on the pitch has been doing great and fighting for the team and whoever comes on is doing the same. These are all good qualities in the team that I think could really make this a successful campaign for us.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2015, 08:56:03 AM »
WATCH: Justin Hoyte says he's happy to be back with the Soca Warriors
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/B_vwRSVjvs0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/B_vwRSVjvs0</a>

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2016, 06:46:49 PM »
Justin Hoyte looks to help Dagenham & Redbridge follow Arsene Wenger's blueprint for FA Cup clash with Everton
By Joe Bernstein (Daily Mail)

Former Arsenal defender Justin Hoyte will pass on the wisdom of Arsene Wenger to his Dagenham & Redbridge team-mates before they play the biggest match of their lives in the FA Cup at Everton on Saturday.

Hoyte, 31, started his career as Ashley Cole's understudy at left back and can claim part-Invincible status having made his Gunners debut against Southampton in the game that began their record 49-game unbeaten run.

'Arsene Wenger used to tell me before matches to go out and envisage I was in the playground kicking a ball about with my friends,' revealed Hoyte.

'That was his philosophy because he believed players who were relaxed felt the freedom to perform at their best.

'I'm one of the players in the Dagenham dressing room who has experience of big grounds like Goodison Park so I will take it on myself to check everyone, particularly the younger players, is feeling good. I'll say the same as I was told, pretend you're going into the playground to have some fun.

'I've been lucky in my career. I supported Arsenal as a boy so to play for them was a dream come true. Ashley (Cole) and Sol Campbell were always there to help me with bits of advice and the best player for me was Patrick Vieira.

'On and off the pitch, he was the leader, you sensed it the first time you trained with them. Thierry Henry was there too, I was in awe of them to be honest when I started.'

Hoyte played 68 times for Arsenal before furthering his Premier League career with a £3million move to Middlesbrough in 2008. A later move to Millwall turned sour when he was frozen out by Ian Holloway but he jumped at the chance to resurrect his career this season, albeit in the lower reaches of League Two.

'It's been good for me to get a taste of the other side, having to clean my own boots, take my own kit home to wash,' he admits.

'Millwall was tough, I didn't play for a year and a few of the experienced players — Richard Chaplow, Danny Shittu and myself — weren't even allowed to train with the first team. I was never told why and people must have thought I had a bad attitude but that was never the case. Holloway told me to lose weight at one stage but nothing I did got me back into the team, and I wasn't the only one.

'I was grateful to join Dagenham and play regularly again. Our new manager John Still has put me in the middle of a back three where I have to be more of a leader and I'm enjoying it.'

Dagenham are 22nd in the table but won Still's first match in charge last Saturday and the new boss introduced a more direct style that could unsettle Roberto Martinez's side.

'The game at Everton is a shop window for the players to show what we can do, myself included,' added Hoyte. 'I'm only 31, there's no reason I can't play at a higher level again or go to another league like the MLS.'

Hoyte's FA Cup record is chequered. He played in Arsenal's run to the final in 2005 but watched from the stands as his team-mates beat Manchester United in Cardiff.

In 2009, he played in a quarter-final at Saturday's venue but Middlesbrough let a half-time lead slip as Everton beat them 2-1 en route to the final.

He hasn't won in four previous visits to Goodison. If he makes it fifth time lucky, Dagenham will be the FA Cup story of the weekend.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2016, 02:30:32 AM »
Hoyte happy with Hart’s faith in him.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

English-born defender Justin Hoyte said he had no qualms over the decision by Stephen Hart to insert him into a right midfield position for the first World Cup qualifier against St Vincent and the Grenadines last month. Hoyte started both games for the “Soca Warriors” and later admitted the contest at Arnos Vale was a grueling one for him.

“The manager asked me if I could do the job in that position which was not nearly new to me because I’ve played there before and it was not a problem. I said I could do it. Obviously the game was a tough one with the conditions which saw us fell behind just before the half. But we got right back into it and went onto to secure the win which was most important,” Hoyte said.

“And then we came back to our home stadium and showed a lot of class in the way we dominated the game and finished them off. For me the main thing is the way this team is getting stronger every time we get together both on and off the football pitch. And even with new players coming in, everyone wants what is best for the team and there is a feeling of one love and unity among everyone. We’ll be taking this into the two games in September and then straight into the final round next year and onward to Russia,” Hoyte added.

The former Arsenal player is under contract with Dagenham & Redbridge until May.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2016, 11:37:32 AM »
the only explanation this man doh get a runout with them lowly clubs..they in last place and still, hardly any run...so flies back to TT and go "You're my real lads, Coach Hart you the only coach I can relate to", so he musbe does walk in the club dressing room on the 1st day, an shouts. "Hallallyuhmuddac*, manager u too"..
 oh gorm, BouBou, chill things out and get the man on the field nah. If he come back tune up, the music will be sweeter than Germany  *wink

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2016, 09:50:14 AM »
Justin Hoyte has been released from Dagenham & Redbridge following their relegation from League Two to the National League.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2016, 03:19:09 PM »
Hamilton to run the rule over former Arsenal and Sunderland defender Justin Hoyte
By Anthony Haggerty (Daily Record)

HAMILTON are running the rule over former Arsenal, Sunderland and Middlesbrough right back Justin Hoyte with a view to offering the player a permanent deal.

The Trinidad and Tobago internationalist, who has 18 caps for his country, is playing for the Lanarkshire side in an under-20 match at New Douglas Park against Motherwell tonight after impressing during a recent training stint with the Scottish Premiership side.

The 31 year-old started his career at the Gunners after making his way up through the academy ranks and signed professional forms for Arsenal in 2003 and was in the FA cup winning squad of 2004/05.

Hoyte spent five years at the Emirates where he made a total of 68 appearances and scored one goal.

He also enjoyed a loan spell at Sunderland in 2005/06 before signing for Middlesbrough in a £3 million deal in August 2008 where he spent six years at the Riverside making 162 appearances and scoring two goals.

He then moved on loan to Millwall and signed for the South East London outfit in January 2014.

The vastly experienced defender also turned out for Dagenham and Redbridge last season and is available as a free agent.

Accies boss Martin Canning has made no secret of the fact that he wants to bolster his squad especially in the defensive area and Hoyte could well fit the bill.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2016, 01:20:29 PM »
Justin Hoyte’s potential deal with Hamilton Academical falls through
By Anthony Haggerty (Daily Record)

HAMILTON ACCIES will NOT be offering former Arsenal right back Justin Hoyte a permanent deal.

The Trinidad and Tobago international played for Hamilton in an Under-20 match at New Douglas Park on Monday night which ended in a 2-1 defeat against Motherwell.

The 31-year-old, who also played for Sunderland and Middlesbrough, had been training with the Lanarkshire club.

Accies boss Martin Canning is desperately keen to land an experienced defender but has decided against making an offer to Hoyte after personal terms could not be agreed between both parties.

Hoyte's representative Nicholas Nicholson said: "Personal terms were a stumbling block and we believe Hamilton have now turned their attentions elsewhere."

Accies are on the look-out for a new full-back after releasing Latvia international Antons Kurakins.

Canning started with midfielders Grant Gillespie and Darren Lyon in the wide defensive slots during their last weekend's 4-2 defeat by Motherwell on Saturday.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Justin Hoyte - a player whose career tracked Middlesbrough's slow decline
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2016, 02:51:47 PM »
On Reflection: Justin Hoyte - a player whose career tracked Middlesbrough's slow decline
By Anthony Vickers (gazettelive.co.uk)

There was an impressive list of legends on display as the Arsenal All Stars took on Milan Glorie in an August Emirates fund-raiser.

The visitors’ mouthwatering gallery of greats included true giants of the game: Cafu, Paolo Maldini, Edgar Davids and Paolo Di Canio.

The Gunners’ stellar side twinkled with top talent to leave the Arsenal faithful bursting with nostalgic pride and dreaming of a golden age: Overmars... Ljungberg... Petit... Kanu... Gilberto Silva... Justin Hoyte.

Wait! What? Run that by me again? Arsenal all time legend Justin Hoyte? That can’t be right surely. Did Ray Parlour drop out late on?

Hoyte will have been chuffed to bits to have pulled on the shirt again and just to have been on the same pitch as a K-Tel collection of household names.

And no doubt he zipped about athletically at right back for the full 90 minutes - but you can’t help but think a few hearts sank when he was announced incongruously before the game.

He may well have played for Arsenal 68 times - including an FA Cup final win, a League Cup defeat and games in the Champions League - he won’t feature in many tattoos.

And he hasn’t got a coveted slot on the larger than life ring of heroes depicted around the outside perimeter of the ground.

Although to be fair, Hoyte is written into Emirates’ history books: when he netted against Charlton in January 2007 he had become the first Englishman to score for Arsenal at the box fresh new ground.

For Hoyte, swaggering around in the swanky surrounds of the Emirates will have been in stark contrast to his previous outing.

Just a few weeks before that the fast fading full back, still just 31, turned out for Hamilton Academical Under-23 side in a pre-season friendly away at Motherwell.

He impressed boss Martin Canning in a two week trial and Accies were keen to sign him as defensive cover by the Scottish Premier League side - who’s wage ceiling is around the £1,000 a week mark - couldn’t make the numbers stack up.

So Hoyte is free agent, training alone and waiting for an opening in a lower league club - preferably within the London commuter belt - in need of a speedy right-back.

He is drifting and waiting, becalmed and waiting for January, a football ghost ship drifting.

His slide towards that frustrating inertia has been swift after his exit from Boro leaving barely a ripple.

He was released at the end of last season after Dagenham and Redbridge were relegated from League Two and axed most of their professional squad prior to a major rebuild.

He had played just 28 games. Which is 20 more than he played in two seasons at Millwall before that.

The ill-fated switch to the New Den had always had a whiff of desperation and impending car crash about it.

He was surplus to requirements at the Riverside and he wanted to move back South for family reasons - his partner, now fiancée, was a jobbing chorus girl in the West End - and so he jumped into the first London-bound life raft that floated past.

Unfortunately his smooth skill set polished by the Arsenal academy was in stark contrast to the grit, drive and spiteful battle-scarred passion demanded by the Millwall crowd.

He was roared at and barracked after failing to make leg-breaking tackles in his first few outings and quickly became a terrace target, soon slipping to the outer reaches of the squad, over-looked by a procession of bosses who wanted a full back with bottle who could tackle.

And to be fair, that is where his relationship with Boro fans floundered too. Most would admit he was a “good” player in technical terms but thought he lacked steel and that spark of spite that makes a winner.

He had a deft touch, neat close control, two feet, he could pick a pass, hold a line and play in both full-back slots. He was an academy player box ticking exercise.

And he had a serious burst of pace. He was a schoolboy sprint star who zipped up and down the touchline on a metaphorical moped.

That’s no surprise as he comes from a speedy gene pool. His mam Wendy won 4x100m Commonwealth gold in Brisbane in 1982 and only missed out on going to the LA Olympics in 1984 because she was pregnant with our future hero.

But for all his deft touches and hot-footed over-lapping, he was seen as being a faint-heart, a player who fancied himself as an artisan instead of a grafter, a non-contact Fancy Dan instead of a battler, an athlete at a time when the team needed spirit and steel and drive. He was seen as a mental weakling.

It was easy to draw the conclusion he shared some of the same delicately nurtured and polite Arsenal DNA as Jeremie Aliadiere.

When the heat was on he shrivelled. And for much of the time he was at Boro, the heat was on: mid-table slogging, a relegation, two years of managerial upheaval and failed play-off pushes. It was no time for a luxury player full of fancy flourishes but no fight.

I liked him. He was nice, humble, clean-living and unassuming bloke who knew he was lucky to be in a fantastic job.

And in his last season he did a good job. He even scored a worldy, a screamer against Sheffield Wednesday.

But my abiding memory will be the look of sheer terror in his eyes at St James’ Park for the Premier League do-or-die relegation clash in April 2009.

The press box was very low and just behind the dug-outs, perfectly placed to see the panic as he hared about aimlessly, avoid frontline responsibility on a night when Boro needed a win to survive.

Supports saw similar moments over the years and for them, there was no way back for Hoyte.

He was on a sticky wicket from the moment he arrived. And his career was seen by cynics as one that tracked the slow, sickening slide from an historic high towards a painful down-sized mediocrity.

He was brought in as a £3m project as the club cashed in on a solid, proven professional in Luke Young - a £6m exit to Aston Villa - and for many that was the start of a poorly managed decline that ended up with a long, cold and dark spell in Championship purgatory.

Hoyte wasn’t to blame for that of course. But if you are looking for cyphers of the shrinking, if you want milestones on the road to relegation, his arrival could well be one.

He arrived with a big reputation. He had won things, he had played in the Champions League, he was pencilled in as a possible England star and Sunderland were gutted Boro had snatched him as he had excelled there on loan. So hopes were high.

Those hopes were eroded slowly and surely as it dawned that his early tentative displays, his bedding in period, was as good as it was going to get. He was alright and no more.

In his first few years he was an insipid player on big money, the kind of non-productive benchwarmers ailing clubs acquire before the dead weight drags them down. But at Boro he was playing every week.

To be fair, he improved gradually after the arrival of Tony Mowbray when his pace was utilised more, he started to deliver the odd cross and crucially, he took a massive pay cut to sign a new deal.

But culturally the damage was done. Few fans were won over by marginally better displays that were that too little, too late and many thought he was still paid far more than he delivered.

He was eased out with barely a murmur from fans.

Mogga signed Frazer Richardson to replace him. Which is an indictment in itself.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Former Premier League defender Justin Hoyte joins FC Cincinnati
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2017, 02:32:05 PM »
Former Premier League defender Justin Hoyte joins FC Cincinnati
By Fumi Kimura (fccincinnati.com)

FC Cincinnati has signed Justin Hoyte, a former right-back for English Premier League club, Arsenal, for the 2017 season.

To add a player that has Premier League experience is a major addition to our squad,” commented Head Coach Alan Koch. “Justin’s personality and humbleness for someone who has already achieved a significant amount in the game is enriching for our group. Our younger players can use him as a mentor as they grow their careers. I also know that Justin is incredibly motivated to be successful here in North America and I look forward to working with him. He is a versatile defender and will compete for a starting position in our team immediately.”

During his time at Arsenal, he was part of the squad that won the 2003-04 Premier League championship. He also won the FA Youth Cup with Arsenal in 2001. Hoyte has made 80 premier league appearances, seven champions league appearances and has logged nearly 300 games as a professional.

After a brief stint with the Arsenal U18 team, Hoyte was transferred to the first team in 2003 and spent two seasons with Arsenal before being loaned to Sunderland. In 2008, he was acquired by Middlesbrough FC (Premier League) and played five seasons. In 2013, Hoyte was loaned to Millwall FC while the club was in the Championship, before being acquired by the South East London club the following year. Hoyte became a free agent in 2015 and signed on with Dagenham & Redbridge FC, of the National League before entering free agency and signing on with FCC.

Hoyte, from London, England, was a member of the England Youth national teams, competing on the U16, U19, U20, U21 sides and also logged 18 caps with the Trinidad & Tobago National Team.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2017, 04:06:57 PM »
Congrats to Justin. Places him in a position to challenge for national team selection again, and that's a good thing for us. :beermug:

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2017, 05:54:26 AM »
WATCH: Justin Hoyte scores his first goal for FC Cincinnati in a 1-1 draw with Charlotte Independence

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mL5dIo-c0Rc?start=55" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mL5dIo-c0Rc?start=55</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »
but what position is he playing in this setup, Tman ?

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2017, 04:58:30 PM »
but what position is he playing in this setup, Tman ?

In that game where he scored, he played at left back.

Tonight  he is playing on the right side of a five-man midfield.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2017, 07:51:17 AM »
WATCH: Justin Hoyte’s game-winner caps off FC Cincinnati’s come-from-behind 4-3 win over Toronto FC II

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zIlWFPZjGq0?start=169" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zIlWFPZjGq0?start=169</a>

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Justin Hoyte in Cincinnati
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2017, 06:12:07 AM »
Justin Hoyte in Cincinnati
By Tony Awor (Pickles Magazine)

On a brisk Friday afternoon in the aptly named ‘Queen City’, I sit in an archetypical American restaurant located on the banks of the Ohio river awaiting the imminent arrival of a fellow Brit abroad. Cincinnati itself may not appear on most English people’s list of must see places in the United States however it is considered a major city that lives for its sports teams. The Cincinnati Reds, the oldest franchise in Major League baseball, and the Cincinnati Bengals of the NFL are the two foremost teams in the city but in the last two years another team has been stealing all the headlines. Futbol Club Cincinnati or more affectionately known by the locals as ‘FCC’ only had its first competitive league game on 26 March 2016 and has since hosted Crystal Palace and Valencia at Nippert Park in front of record crowds. Fast forward 18 months this club is the reason I am sitting down to chat with former Arsenal starlet Justin Hoyte, who considers the current LA Galaxy left back Ashley Cole as his mentor, about his football journey from Leytonstone to ’the Natti’.

Justin arrives dressed in a black baseball cap and stylish bomber jacket with red patterned army fatigue design. He has come straight from training and noticeably seems in a good mood which always bodes well for an interview. After we greet each other with a handshake and I utter the words “what’s happening mate” there is a distinct air of familiarity and ease between us. Albeit being from opposite ends of London I put this down to us both being expats with similar accents and can instantly relate to one another. The fact that we are both English also does not go unnoticed by the waitress who has come over to take our drinks order. She appears very cheerful, enthusiastic and inquisitive about why we are in Cincinnati which Justin handles with the charm and banter of a media trained professional footballer. In the absence of the waitress we joke about her reaction to us and exchange stories of daily idiosyncrasies that we experience in this country when attempting to communicate with locals. The one that stands out for him is using the term ‘football boots’ which continually perplexes team mates and club officials whom only recognise them as cleats. Anyone who has been to America will be more than aware that interactions with them can tend to be very humorous and drawn out affairs before they fully comprehend what you are saying.

After the young lady returns with two glasses of water and food menus, the interview begins and I find out that Justin was born at Whipps Cross University Hospital in Leytonstone which coincidently is the same hospital as another famous expat who crossed the Atlantic. Not only was Justin born in the same hospital as David Beckham but both east Londoners share a similar football journey that started in London, took them to the north of England and found them calling America home in the twilight of their careers. He goes on to say “I grew up in Leytonstone so Leyton Orient was my local team and from there I also lived in Essex. A lot of footballers have come from my area”. The most notable ones being the aforementioned David Beckham and Paul Ince who both captained England with distinction at World Cups and European Championships. From his generation there are also several recognisable names who have made a name in the game. Former Charlton Athletic and Leeds United winger Lloyd Sam who now turns out for DC United was in the same school year. “We went to the same primary school, Fairlop Primary and played against each other, with each other and there were always little challenges with each other which was good.” From there he went onto Hainault High School were he would meet and represent the school, district and England U21 with Curtis Davis.

As we talk about his football beginnings, Justin reminisces with a fondness and passion all professional sports people have. The conversation thenceforth turns to his parents, upbringing and how Arsenal came about to set him on the path to a professional playing career. Some call it unique or special however I like to think of it as being fortunate to have two parents who were also elite Olympic athletes. Wendy Hoyte won a gold medal at the 1982 Commonwealth Games in the 4×100 and is still the current UK women’s 50m indoor record holder. From a genealogy and professional guidance standpoint it can be said that their sporting ability and experience contributed to Justin and his younger brother Gavin becoming professional footballers which he also attests to. “Yes I would say so. They were in sport all their lives and have given feedback on sport in general. Athletics is different to football but they have passed on their knowledge, experiences and coaching which can be applied to football. I used to do athletics also to keep my fitness and speed which has helped me throughout my career and still helps me now.” He continues “More so people that have been in the sports industry can better guide and help you through the tough times, so it’s been good to have family”.

As in most cases with professional footballers, Justin started as a striker for Redbridge United at Sunday league level where his pace and ability to beat defenders and score goals got him noticed at the age of 12. It was not long before an Arsenal scout approached Les Hoyte about the opportunity to bring his son to Highbury for training. Successfully impressing the coaching staff, he was signed and progressed through the Youth Academy, culminating in FA Youth Cup triumph in 2001 with a team that featured Jerome Thomas, Jermaine Pennant, Rohan Ricketts, Steve Sidwell, Jeremy Aliadiere and Moritz Voltz all of whom went on to establish themselves as Premier League players. “The squad that won it was great and one of the best teams I’ve ever seen. When you play with the likes of them you knew you was going to win every game. Me fitting into that team was easy, I just gave the ball to Jerome or Pennant and they done the rest. To be part of it was fantastic.” His professional debut came as an 18-year-old against Southampton in May 2003 in a game that they were already leading 6-1. “Pennant scored a hat trick and Pires scored as well. I remember getting the call a day before from Neil Banfield who said I would be involved in the first team. I thought I was just going along to be a squad player then found out I was on the bench. I got on at the end and for me being an Arsenal fan and supporter that came through the academy it was unbelievable. Going through the marble steps at Highbury was amazing…great feeling.” As he talks about his first professional outing a wry smile beams across his face as if he is suddenly transported back to that moment. I get a sense of pride and achievement emanating from him which is undoubtedly justifiable having just fulfilled a childhood dream for your club. He adds “It must have been adrenaline or something but I couldn’t even tell you who I lined up against because I was buzzing. Compared to youth team and reserves the level was a lot faster than I thought it would be and the quality of players was completely different”.

When asked about Arsene Wenger, Justin reflects on the man who gave him his chance in the game and speaks with the utmost gratitude. “For me as a coach he was great, the best thing he ever told me was ‘when you play just go out and play like you play with your friends in the park’. His take on it was that you got to this point by enjoying football so don’t change. Training with him everyday I learned a lot and his attention to detail about timing of your runs and passing into space was fantastic. I still take those things into games now.”

In the season following his professional debut came the “Invincibles” team that went the whole 2003/2004 season unbeaten and boasted Premier League stars such as Thierry Henry, Ashley Cole, Patrick Vieira, Cesc Fabregas, Dennis Bergkamp and Ray Parlour to name a few. Justin started the first game against Norwich City to kick off that campaign but the return from injury of Lauren saw him used as a back up which ultimately made it a developmental year for the youngster. His stand out memory of that team was “togetherness”. He explains that “they had everything on the field and off the field. I remember looking at them and seeing that they knew they were going to score, win or get the result they needed in every game no matter if they were down”. He even credits that team for making him the player he became. “Me coming in as a young player into this group raised my game and standards because I didn’t want to be the one looking bad in training.”

It is undeniable that training day in day out with players of that ilk would improve any young player, none more so than Thierry Henry. It is very difficult to leave out the Frenchman in any debate about greatest Premier League players of all time. Similarly, it would be difficult to do this interview without at least mentioning the Arsenal legend. Probed about his most memorable experience with the forever immortalised hero amongst gooners, Justin doesn’t have to think long or hard because it is a memory that he will personally remember for the rest of his life and is also written in the Premier League history books. “The one that stuck with me about him was my first goal for Arsenal at Emirates. I played a one, two with him to score and we were both celebrating, laughing and joking. He was happy for me because the week before he was playing UK Rap (Lethal B at the time) and I was buzzing he liked it, so before the game he put it on for me, so when I scored we carried on the celebration.” That goal against Charlton Athletic on 2 January 2007 would also go on to make Justin the first Englishman to score at the Emirates Stadium. He made 36 appearances for Arsenal that season including starting in the League Cup Final loss to Chelsea. That same year he would also be involved in another historic match between England U21 and Italy U21 on 24 March 2007. This fixture signaled the first official match at the new Wembley Stadium and saw him line up with current England internationals Gary Cahill, James Milner and Ashley Young.

Unfortunately, when it comes to football the highs are inevitably accompanied with times of difficulty and challenge. Every top sportsman in the world will tell you that it is at these times, and how you overcome them, when you should be judged. Justin speaks with no regret and almost looks back with a certain determination when asked why he left Arsenal for Middlesbrough in the summer of 2008. The plain and simple answer was “To get more games”. He elaborates “Basically I spoke to Wenger and he was honest with me and said at this stage in my career it’s best that I go out and play games. I could have stayed just to be part of the Arsenal team or just to say ‘I’m at Arsenal’ but for me personally I wanted to play more games and make a name for myself. I left on great terms and learned a lot there from being a kid wondering ‘will I ever make it’ to playing first team”. It was England manager Gareth Southgate who saw the potential in him and signed the youngster for a reported £3m. It is this period of his career where he considers himself to have become an established Premier League player and stayed for seven seasons at the Riverside Stadium making over 162 appearances until 2014.

After stints with Millwall and Dagenham & Redbridge respectively, his journey brings us to today and the Yard House Restaurant which is positioned directly in-between Paul Brown Stadium and The Great American Ball Park with a 350 yard walk in either direction to watch American Football or Baseball. From George Best and Pele to David Beckham and Thierry Henry, America has always had an allure for footballers from ‘across the pond’. Perhaps not for the quality of the league or level of play per se, so it is always fascinating to hear from players why they choose to come here.

“I visited America a lot as a youngster and always wanted to play here. At this stage in my career I just wanted another experience completely different to England where I’ve been all my life. It’s a different standard of living, different standard of facilities and different challenge of play.” As he talks unequivocally I cannot help but connect players that he knows personally or played with that may have indirectly or directly influenced his decision to see what the ‘American Dream’ has to offer. Lloyd Sam (DC United) as previously mentioned, Bradley Wright-Phillips (NY Red bulls), Liam Ridgwell (Portland Timbers) and Seb Hines (Houston) to name a few who currently ply their trade here. As I connect the dots, he echoes my thoughts “I’ve had friends that have come to America and done well; they have told me how they have enjoyed it and knowing the type of person I am, I would also enjoy it and fit in perfectly. I also lived with Kei Kamara when he was at Middlesbrough and he said I should give it a go”. When one thinks of America the obvious places that spring to mind are typically New York, Florida and California partly because they are popular British tourist destinations but also because these are the places that high profile players end up. What most Brits don’t realise is that there are 58 professional clubs across the country that compete in three different leagues. Major League Soccer (MLS) comprises of 22 teams whilst The United Soccer League (USL) has 29 and The North American Soccer League (NASL) fields 7. This brings me to my next question. Why Cincinnati, Ohio?

“The funny thing is, before I signed here I was trying to get to America for the past two years and put my name out to several teams. There were situations where there wasn’t a right back needed or they didn’t have any international slots left to bring in a foreign player which is fair enough. Luckily this year the manager of FC Cincinnati got in touch with me and told me to come over. The age I’m at they wanted to see what I’m like around the place and see that I’m not just here for a jolly up. All I needed was that opportunity and I backed myself that I will get a contract because that’s were I want to be and play.” Before he got to Cincinnati Justin is honest enough to admit that the only time he had ever heard of the city was when it was announced that the new club would be joining the 2016 USL season. Unlike in the UK or Europe it is common for a new club to be established in America so long as there is a benefactor or ownership group prepared to back it and spend the millions required as an ‘expansion fee’ to enter the league. Step forward Carl Linder III the billionaire businessman and CEO of American Financial Group who surmised that another professional club was needed in Ohio to rival Columbus Crew. The Club’s maiden season in 2016 proved to be a huge success under the management of former Sheffield Wednesday and Derby County midfielder John Harkes. On field performances took them to the quarter finals of the play offs and enabled them to break USL attendance records three times that year with 20,497 against Louisville City FC, 23,375 against Pittsburg Riverhounds and 24,376 against Orlando City B. The 2017 season saw John Harkes replaced by Alan Koch who sought to add experience to the squad and he brought in the former England U21 defender. Upon the signing the manager commented in the local media “to add a player that has Premier League experience is a major addition to our squad. For someone who has already achieved a significant amount in the game is enriching for our group. Our younger players can use him as a mentor as they grow their careers”.

As we sit here today FC Cincinnati once again made the quarter finals of the play offs but were knocked out by a familiar face to those back on the British Isles. West Ham’s child prodigy, Joe Cole now of Tampa Bay Rowdies played a full 90 minutes to help defeat Justin’s team 3-0 on 21 October. The club also had a magnificent run in the US Open Cup which is the oldest ongoing national ‘soccer’ tournament in the country and is their equivalent of the FA Cup. They reached the semi final. However as coincidence would have it, Justin would come up against the New York Red Bulls and one of his friends who initially encouraged him to come to America. Bradley Wright-Phillips bagged a brace in an exciting game that produced two world class goals from FC Cincinnati but was not enough as young Writey scored the winner in extra time to beat them 3-2. On the whole Justin can look back on his first USL season as a success having made 25 appearances and playing every game in their cup run. It is clear from speaking to him that he has really embraced America and the new environment. “One of the things I’ve enjoyed is that you will play a home game then travel to a new city and state which is completely different with regards to its culture and environment.” When asked to describe some of the main differences between football in England and America he said “it is a really good level with a lot of young players and the obvious difference is the way it’s set up here. I’ve played all my life on grass but everything here is turf so I had to get used to that”. Considering the size of the country which the most recent census taken in April 2016 has at 323,425,550 game planning by coaching staff also differs greatly. “Match day preparation is different to England because sometimes you might be on a 10-hour bus journey to another city, whereas in England the longest journey you’re doing is probably 3 hours on a train.” The most obvious question from any football enthusiast however ‘is the level as good as England?’. “If I was to compare it to back home I would say League One level. Players that I have come up against could probably cut it there, a few more in the championship and maybe one or two in the Premier League.”

As much as we tease the Americans for their use of the word soccer and other phrases that amuse the Brits it is fair to say that based on Justin’s experience and the fact that countless other Brits are playing here, their leagues are competitive and also dispel the misconception that they ‘cant play’. Justin’s observation during his first year in Cincinnati concurs with this and suggests that America really is the land of opportunity. Evidence in recent years further suggests it has become a country to resurrect your career or begin your career instead of yester year when it was just a place to end your career. The best two example of this are Jack Harrison and the aforementioned Bradley Wright-Phillips. Jack left the Manchester United Youth Academy as a 14-year-old and by the time he turned 18 was recognised as the best young player in the country before being drafted by Major League Soccer and is now a star player for Manchester City’s affiliate club New York City FC. Bradley on the other hand arrived on these shores at 27 years old having been released by Charlton Athletic. He was offered the basic salary of $50,000 per year as an incentive to prove himself. He finished his first full season as the League’s top goal scorer with 27 and equalled the long standing record for goals in a season. Needless to say he proved his worth and he is now considered a marquee designated player with the salary to match. When Justin says that he ‘loves it here’ it is not hard to see why and the benefits it can afford an English player looking for something new or different.

It is always difficult to judge how an interview will go but as I look out of the window to notice the sun is beginning to set on the Ohio River, I quickly realise that we have been talking for well over two hours. Justin was candid, honest and forthcoming throughout which made for a very good conversation with another football fan or friend rather than an interview.

I asked Justin to sum up his thoughts on his new city and the most eye opening thing for him off the pitch. “The city is fantastic; I haven’t seen it all but what I have seen is really nice. Just going downtown, the stadiums are close with big walkways near the water. The main thing for me has been without a doubt the fanbase for FCC. It’s crazy and unbelievable for a team that has only been going two years. The support they have from the whole city you’re not going to get that in many other places out here. I was lucky enough to see the marching before games and the love they got for us is unreal.” “I will also say that I have noticed how big everything is here from cars to food portions. How they do things is not small, it’s always big or an announcement so that’s been new.”

TA: “Who is the toughest opponent you have come across in USL this year?”
JH: “The young guy from New York Red Bulls…Tyler Adams, I think he’s a really good player with a lot of talent and ability. He can play right back, left back, centre back and number 10, he’s a big talent for sure.”

TA: “During the course of the season who have you rated the most and thought could play at a higher level?”
JH: “I don’t want to upset any team mates so I would say the striker for Charleston Battery, Romario Williams. Jamaican guy, he was always scoring goals and was a very effective striker.”

TA: “What is your biggest achievement of the season?”
JH: “Making the play offs. It’s all anybody cares about here and I didn’t realise that so to make it in my first season was special.”

TA: “What would you say is the most significant moment in your football career?”
JH: “Earning my first contract at Arsenal. Because at the time I was actually going to be released, no one knows this but Paul Davis said we should keep him he might turn out to be good. I then went from a striker to right back and that was the defining moment that changed the game for me.”

TA: “What was the most challenging moment in your career?”
JH: “Millwall!! I left Middlesbrough to go there and play but they sacked Lomas who brought me in. Ian Holloway came in and for whatever reason didn’t play me. Everything he asked of me I did but still couldn’t get in the team and when I did play I would get brought off at half time then told I was being protected from the fans. Some days I would have to train with the 16’s and not given a reason. So it was very challenging mentally. At the end of the day I didn’t kick up a fuss, I continued to train and be professional”.

TA: “Who is the best player you have ever played against?”
JH: “Arjen Robben! He’s a handful who can go left or right, cut inside or outside. He’s got everything. More often than not he comes inside from the right and everyone knows it but you still can’t stop it. When he was at Chelsea when I played him he was even faster.”

TA: “Who’s the biggest joker you have met in football?”
JH: “One team mate has to be Emanuel Eboue, he is a comedian. As a team I have to say the England U21 team I was in. There was Anton Ferdinand, Keiran Richardson, Ashley Young, Darren Bent, Nigel Reo-Coker, Leroy lita, Wayne Routlege. It was the funniest group of players I have ever been with. We had such a good team and the bonding was such a laugh on every trip”.

TA: “What does the future hold for you after playing?”
JH: I think I want to go into coaching. I’ve started my badges and would prefer to be a coach instead of a manager. I am also involved with an Energy drink called Youth Energy which is going really well. We are looking to launch in the US very soon so hopefully within the next few years it’s the drink everyone is drinking.

TA: “Who is Justin Hoyte the man today?”
JH: “Good questions!! I’m a player who has evolved from a young man at Arsenal to an experienced family man now and learned a lot of footballing and life lessons along the way”

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2018, 09:30:55 AM »
Former Arsenal and current FC Cincinnati defender Justin Hoyte reflects on Arsène Wenger
By Charlie Hatch (cincinnati.com)

Sunday concludes the 2017-18 English Premier League season, which also means it marks the finale of the league's longest-coaching tenure.

When the full time whistle blows between Arsenal and Huddersfield Town, the 22-year reign of Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger will cease – and likely never be outdone. And while the French coach has delivered three league titles, though none recently, he's transformed the London club into one of the most recognizable brands on the planet.

In a modern era of expensive transfer fees and rapid coaching turnover, Wenger prioritized youth development and long-term consistency. The former economist tried keeping costs lower and gave homegrown talent an opportunity for success.

Current Futbol Club Cincinnati right back Justin Hoyte was one of those homegrown talents.

Joining the Arsenal youth academy at 9 years old, Hoyte was there pre-Wenger and eventually worked his way into the first team on an annual basis. Reflecting on his time following FC Cincinnati's practice Wednesday, the defender said Wenger's changes and influence are far greater than any score lines could reveal.

"It was a massive transition," Hoyte said. "I was a young kid at the time, but seeing how Arsenal developed under him is completely different from how it used to be. ...Nutrition, diet, the speed the way Arsenal used to play, the way he coached, the players. Everything was set out and he completely changed the whole structure, even through the youth team."

Progressing through the youth academy, Hoyte also played for the English youth national team at multiple age levels. On May 3, 2003, he made his Premier League debut as an 18-year-old in a 6-1 Arsenal home win over Southampton. Hoyte was subbed on in the 89th minute.

The following season, he made two League Cup appearances and was a late sub in an EPL match once more. That Arsenal squad was the only Premier League club to ever finish a season unbeaten.

"He gave me my Arsenal debut, ya know?" Hoyte said. "In that sense, I have to look at him and say thanks to him, because without him, I wouldn't of had that. At that time, he kept pushing me forward and pushing me into the first team and gave me the opportunity to play in the first team for the team I love. So for that, I thank him."

Even when Hoyte's time was limited due to considerable depth at right back and he went to Sunderland on loan, he returned to Arsenal and Wenger openly told the press he wanted Hoyte to fight to make the starting lineup.

Between 2003-2008, when he made 34 league appearances and played in the UEFA Champions League as a 20-year-old. Hoyte was one of the young, promising English players in the Premier League. He also became the first Englishman to score at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium in a 4-0 win over Charlton Athletic in 2007.

Eventually, though, he left Arsenal in 2008 for Middlesbrough, another EPL side. Bacary Sagna and Emmanuel Eboué, the two right backs Hoyte competed with for appearances, combined to feature in 345 Arsenal league matches. Hoyte made 83 total EPL appearances.

"There's a lot of players who might not have made it at Arsenal who are still playing in football," Hoyte said. His own brother, Gavin, played once for Arsenal and just finished his season with Eastleigh FC in the English lower leagues. "And no matter what happens, even if they don't make it at Arsenal, they're still making their living or career out of football and doing something they love.

"He guided them. ...There's a lot of players that have come through Wenger that people wouldn't realize even started at Arsenal. He's done a fantastic job with the youth team, with the first team, with the reserve team and all the teams, really."

As for Hoyte, who continued playing in England, the 33-year-old has made 28 total United Soccer League appearances for FC Cincinnati since he arrived in March 2017. This season, he's started in eight of the club's nine USL matches and has earned three clean sheets.

Cincinnati, which lost 4-1 to Charlotte Independence on Saturday night, sits first in the Eastern Conference standings for the first time in the club's three-year history.

Hoyte, who said he might become a coach in a few years, said he still remembers the advice Wenger shared with him from his time at Arsenal.

"He always told me to play free and just enjoy the game," Hoyte said. "The more I get older, the more I understand that."

It's evident the defender's playing style, which provides reliable defending, in addition to an offensive aspect that regularly sees Hoyte joining in on attacking chances or goal-scoring opportunities.

The former Arsenal man still keeps his boyhood club close. He said personal pride and passion for the London team will always remain, regardless of who he's currently playing for. And as Hoyte knows, the departure of Wenger doesn't mean the end of Arsenal.

"I used to be a part of the team," Hoyte said. "I was there for a long time. I was part of the youth team, part of the first team. So for me, it's a great club. And I was there when Arsene was there. Obviously I'm not there now, but he's a part of what made me the person I am today in football."

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2018, 02:00:26 AM »
FC Cincinnati to make announcement next week amid MLS expansion race.
ESPN

FC Cincinnati on Tuesday will make a "significant announcement" as the club inches closer to becoming the next expansion team in Major League Soccer.

A club release about an event next week did not go so far to confirm its purpose, but the announcement is widely expected to be the formal confirmation that FC Cincinnati has won the expansion slot to become MLS' 26th team. MLS did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

MLS commissioner Don Garber and Cincinnati mayor John Cranley will be in attendance at the announcement at Rhinegeist Brewery beginning at 5:30 p.m., with a news conference to follow.

The league, which is looking to add four teams in two rounds of expansion, invited 12 cities to submit bids over a year ago. Nashville won the first slot in December, leaving Cincinnati, Detroit and Sacramento as finalists to vie for the other spot in the initial wave.

In January, MLS also formally awarded a long-expected expansion team to David Beckham's group in Miami in a separate process. Nashville and Miami both used similar language to Cincinnati's "significant announcement" ahead of their respective expansion confirmations.

Sports Illustrated reported that FC Cincinnati would start playing in MLS next season at its current USL home -- the University of Cincinnati's Nippert Stadium -- which would put it into the league before both Nashville and Miami, which are aiming for 2020 starts. Such a plan would once again give MLS an even number of teams, assuring that all clubs could play every weekend.

The club made major strides toward constructing a new stadium in recent months, winning approval from the Cincinnati City Council to cover $34.8 million in infrastructure costs for the team's otherwise privately financed 21,000-seat, $212.5 million venue in the West End neighborhood.

FC Cincinnati has been a major success story since joining the USL in 2016, averaging over 21,000 fans in 16 home games last season, and beating two MLS clubs in the U.S. Open Cup in front of more than 30,000 fans.

On April 7, the club set a USL record with 25,667 fans for its home opener against defending champion Louisville City. It has averaged just under 24,000 fans in its other three home league games this season.

The Sacramento Republic, a fellow USL club and expansion hopeful, appeared to accept that Cincinnati's bid was completed but vowed to keep pursuing its own slot.

"We remain laser-focused on our objective of bringing MLS to Sacramento and the news today does not deter our efforts nor does it hurt our chances of reaching our goal. Our bid to join MLS is alive and well," the club said in a statement.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Justin Hoyte joins FC Cincinnati in MLS
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2018, 03:51:09 PM »
Justin Hoyte joins FC Cincinnati in MLS
fccincinnati.com

FC Cincinnati has signed defender Justin Hoyte ahead of the club’s debut season in Major League Soccer. Hoyte, 34, is currently one of two players to have multiple years of FC Cincinnati experience coming into this season.

As a foreign player, Hoyte will occupy an international roster spot on Cincinnati’s 2019 MLS roster.

“I’m really, really excited. It’s been a long-term goal of mine to play in MLS,” Hoyte said. “I’m excited to make the move with Cincinnati after two great years with the organization. It’s exciting times ahead for the club and for me.”

An experienced defender, Hoyte has made 349 appearances, scored six goals and added 15 assists across all competitions in his 17-year professional career. The London native originally signed with FC Cincinnati on March 29, 2017. In two seasons with the Orange and Blue at the USL level, Hoyte made 47 appearances, including 44 starts, scored two goals and added four assists.

“Over the course of the last two years with this club, Justin has proven time and time again that age is just a number,” Koch said. “He has made a lot of sacrifices to be part of this group and is very respected by his teammates. He leads through actions in how he prepares for training and games, and that professionalism rubs off on everyone on the team."

Hoyte was a key component in FC Cincinnati’s 2018 USL Regular-Season Championship campaign. He made 28 appearances, all starts, and contributed two assists on the year. In addition, he was one of just four FC Cincinnati players to log at least 2,500 minutes played on the season.

Primarily an outside back, Hoyte began his professional career in 2002 with Arsenal after spending nine years in the Gunners’ academy. The London native went on to make 68 appearances and record a goal and an assist across all competitions with Arsenal from 2002-08. In addition, he also played in the Premier League for Sunderland on a season-long loan, where he made 27 starts and recorded one goal in 2005-06.

Following his time at Arsenal, Hoyte signed with Middlesborough, where he made 162 appearances and tallied two goals and added nine assists across all competitions from 2008-13. After being loaned out to Milwall for the 2013-14 Championship season, Hoyte joined the club permanently for 2014-15. He went on to make a combined eight appearances for Millwall from 2013-15. In 2015, Hoyte signed with League Two side Dagenham & Redbridge and went on to make 28 appearances across all competitions in his one season with the Daggers.

After representing England at various youth national team levels, Hoyte made his senior international debut with Trinidad and Tobago in 2013. He has 18 career caps and most recently made an international appearance in 2016.

The next time Cincinnati takes the field, it will be as MLS’ 24th team in 2019 when the club debuts in the top professional league in the U.S. and Canada. Season tickets for the 2019 season are now on sale at fccincinnati.com/tickets.

For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team’s official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. For more information about FC Cincinnati tickets - including 2019 season tickets - call 513-977-KICK (5425) or visit fccincinnati.com/tickets.

Transaction: FC Cincinnati signed D Justin Hoyte as a free agent on Dec. 10, 2018.

JUSTIN HOYTE

Pronunciation: HOYT

Jersey Number: 32

Position: Defender

Height: 5-10

Weight: 165

Birthdate: Nov. 20, 1984

Birthplace: London, England

Hometown: London, England

Last Club: FC Cincinnati (USL)

Nationality: England

MLS Roster Status: International Player

Twitter: @justinhoyte84

How Acquired: Signed as a free agent on Dec. 10, 2018

1]; } ?>