March 28, 2024, 05:42:26 PM

Author Topic: Remembering Our Strike Squad  (Read 21170 times)

Offline Latent

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Remembering Our Strike Squad
« on: February 11, 2006, 10:38:26 PM »
You know, some time ago and even today, I searched google, yahoo, msn ect for anything concerning the Trinidad and Tobago Strike Squad Team and once again to my surprise, there is hardly any materials on them.

There is the occasional article and an interview with a few past memebers of the team but on the whole that is it.

There are hardly any pictures, clips or even articles to remind younger generations about this team and their exploits.

I mean yes, our Soca Warriors have made it and will be playing not only for themselves and the people of Trinidad and Tobago, but also for all those past players who attempted to to make the World Cup.

What I want to say is that November 19th 1989 was a very sad day in this country's history and a big disappointment for the people. We must however remember the joy and smiles they brought to a nation at the time.

If I remember that era correctly, the country was in a financial crisis, life was a little hard. But I remember this bunch of local players brining smiles to the faces of children, adults and even the neutrals in this country.  I remember an entire nation rallying behind the team.

Thus I believe more should be posted and made available for people to remember this team and their exploits. If anyone have any materials on this team, they should post it and perhaps this site could even create an archive section for the materials.

Just a food for thought.

Offline Trini U of W man

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Remembering Our Strike Squad
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 02:52:13 AM »
Got a lil bit of some Strike Squad stuff here...I was 7 years old at the time.

Offline Trini U of W man

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 02:57:58 AM »
BTW....check the date....November 26th 1989....a mere week after that game with the US.This certificate is more than 16 years old.Latapy looked real real young back then,that's pretty much all I remember from when they came to visit Harvard's.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 06:57:13 AM »
 I have Russel Latapy autograph... I got it when he was playing for Hibernian and they was on tour in T&T ;D...My cousins have all the autographs of the stike squad members in a scrap book

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 07:51:15 AM »
You know, some time ago and even today, I searched google, yahoo, msn ect for anything concerning the Trinidad and Tobago Strike Squad Team and once again to my surprise, there is hardly any materials on them.

There is the occasional article and an interview with a few past memebers of the team but on the whole that is it.

There are hardly any pictures, clips or even articles to remind younger generations about this team and their exploits.

I mean yes, our Soca Warriors have made it and will be playing not only for themselves and the people of Trinidad and Tobago, but also for all those past players who attempted to to make the World Cup.

What I want to say is that November 19th 1989 was a very sad day in this country's history and a big disappointment for the people. We must however remember the joy and smiles they brought to a nation at the time.

If I remember that era correctly, the country was in a financial crisis, life was a little hard. But I remember this bunch of local players brining smiles to the faces of children, adults and even the neutrals in this country.  I remember an entire nation rallying behind the team.

Thus I believe more should be posted and made available for people to remember this team and their exploits. If anyone have any materials on this team, they should post it and perhaps this site could even create an archive section for the materials.

Just a food for thought.

Latent, there is actually a book written about the Strike Squad by a former player entitled: THE HISTORIC ATTEMPT OF THE TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM TO QUALIFY FOR THE 1990 WORLD CUP IN ITALY

It is written by Marlon Morris.  I have it in my hand right now, but there doesn't seem to be an ISBN number.  Sorry.

Very good book.  Very honest account of what happened on the Road To Italy from an insider.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 07:58:30 AM by Jahyouth »

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 07:57:34 AM »
mih father had bought the road to italy t shirt with all the players signatures behind. Dread. I wasn't living in Trinidad at tht time and I was real small (5 years) but i still have that jersey somewhere...unfortunately it so ying now you could barely make out the fella beating the pan on it lol...   :-[
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 08:39:18 AM »
mih father had bought the road to italy t shirt with all the players signatures behind. Dread. I wasn't living in Trinidad at tht time and I was real small (5 years) but i still have that jersey somewhere...unfortunately it so ying now you could barely make out the fella beating the pan on it lol...   :-[

Yuh need tuh frame that like a piece of memorabilia. Are they actual autographs or just printed signatures on there? DOh let it deteriorate furda.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 04:41:24 PM »
I'm sure there's some other threads on the memory of 1989, but I found this one first, so I'm adding a couple pictures I just came across.

Soccer International magazine 1989 cover and contents.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 07:01:49 PM »
I'm sure there's some other threads on the memory of 1989, but I found this one first, so I'm adding a couple pictures I just came across.

Wow! Leave it to you to find dis kinda stuff!!! Great!

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 07:31:05 PM »
Did the Strike Squad get paid for their efforts in their attempt to qualify for Italy 90 and was JW the football jefe at the time.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 08:01:01 PM »
Did the Strike Squad get paid for their efforts in their attempt to qualify for Italy 90 and was JW the football jefe at the time.

It have anybody Jack eh owe?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 04:28:10 AM »

Thanks,ah learning everyday.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 05:59:15 AM »
mih father had bought the road to italy t shirt with all the players signatures behind. Dread. I wasn't living in Trinidad at tht time and I was real small (5 years) but i still have that jersey somewhere...unfortunately it so ying now you could barely make out the fella beating the pan on it lol...  Â

Yuh need tuh frame that like a piece of memorabilia. Are they actual autographs or just printed signatures on there? DOh let it deteriorate furda

I still have that shirt in my collection... :devil:

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 07:49:07 AM »

Owin is Jack middle name.. from loooonng time

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 07:55:52 AM »

ENTTTTTTTTTTTT

Tiefing is he 1st name
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 10:04:22 AM »

ENTTTTTTTTTTTT

Tiefing is he 1st name

Ah thought it was Linus...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 08:57:50 PM »

ENTTTTTTTTTTTT

Tiefing is he 1st name

Ah thought it was Linus...

:rotfl: Nah dat 2nd right b4 owin

Of course they were a prophet doh rob people u self.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 07:36:50 AM »
Revisiting November 19

by Terence Hilton Clarke
(c)copyright

November 19   1999

WITH 22 teams having confirmed their places, there were only two more spots in the 1990 World Cup still available by November 19, 1989. Because of the cancellation of two games involving Guatemala and El Salvador, due to civil unrest in the latter, November 19 represented the last day of the World Cup qualifying competition. A final opportunity for four teams.

While Cameroon and Tunisia battled in the second leg of their African final round tie in Tunis, Trinidad and Tobago entertained the U.S.A. in Port of Spain. Two consecutive wins over Guatemala had put the “Strike Squad” in second place in the CONCACAF final round group on nine points, just two behind Costa Rica - which had wrapped qualification back in July. The Americans, by contrast, were finding goals hard to come by and had been held to 0-0 draws by both Guatemala and El Salvador in their previous two qualifying matches. They were in third place in the group on eight points, one behind Trinidad and Tobago, and two behind Costa Rica. This country only needed a draw to secure the second qualifying spot from the CONCACAF zone, and make it to its first World Cup finals.

More than two months of anticipation preceded the match and, on the day itself, the National (now Hasely Crawford) Stadium started being filled at a tremendous rate, soon after the opening of the gates at 7 a.m. By game time (3:30 p.m.) the 25,000 capacity arena was packed to the seams. The most official - and logical – estimate puts the final attendance at 35,000. However, some journalists, in their accounts, chose to go all the way to 46,000.

Fans had been told to wear something red and everyone dutifully complied: by the time the local players arrived at the stadium, some two hours before kick-off, they were greeted by a crimson tide that could be seen from miles away. They had just made the long journey from their base at Forest Reserve and had apparently been advised to go out and greet the fans. Only afterwards did they return to the dressing rooms to get ready for the match.

In the years that have followed there has been speculation as to whether fatigue, induced by travelling for hours in a cramped bus and some other pre-game distractions were major factors in Trinidad and Tobago’s tepid performance. It could have also been the subconscious knowledge that one required only a draw to get to Italy. During the early part of the game it became obvious that the home side was not extending itself and was allowing the normally defensive Americans to make all the running. It was in the 31st minute that Paul Caligiuri made all the difference. As a 21 year old still at UCLA, he scored the winner on his debut as the U.S. beat Trinidad and Tobago in a World Cup qualifier in Torrance, California on May 19, 1985. Four years later, history would repeat itself as Caligiuri collected a left sided throw in from Tab Ramos, lobbed the ball over Kerry Jamerson and fired a dipping 40-yard shot which surprised Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper, Michael Maurice as it landed into the far corner of the net.

Just a minute before the goal, Trinidad and Tobago had a penalty-appeal turned down when forward Philbert Jones went down in the U.S. penalty area under a late tackle from American defender John Doyle. Argentinean referee, Juan Carlos Lostau, simply waived play-on as Jones appealed while getting up from the tackle. Many Trinidadians have argued that Jones should have stayed down in order to have convinced the referee of the illegality of Doyle’s challenge. However, during the World Cup finals, in almost exact circumstances highlighted by TTT host Ashford Jackman, the same Juan Carlos Lostau awarded a penalty to the Netherlands when West Germany’s Jurgen Kohler caught Marco Van Basten. Just like Jones, Van Basten, in one motion, rolled up to his knees, holding his arms aloft to make the successful appeal.

It was only in the second half that Trinidad and Tobago showed some aggression. But the U.S. switched to its defensive mode to hold out against the locals. Indeed, the only moment of danger created by Trinidad and Tobago came with just 20 minutes to go when Leonson Lewis raced down the left flank and pulled the ball back. Unfortunately, 20-year old U.S.A. goalkeeper Tony Meola was able to gather the sphere before any opposing player could get to it. The final seconds of the game were surreal. While some Trinidadian players, such as Brian Williams, displayed the desperation mandated at this point, others seemed already resigned to the unwanted result.

The final whistle brought the usual contrast of American celebration amidst local despair. Trinidad and Tobago’s tearful players disappeared into the tunnel, but then returned to the field to salute the fans who had enthusiastically supported them throughout the 19-month-long qualifying campaign. The crowd returned the compliment by cheering on the players. It was a gesture which brought the people of this country a FIFA Fair Play Award: a welcome gesture by football’s world governing body but, as any true sports fan will testify, scant consolation for missing out on football’s greatest event.

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO: Michael Maurice – Clayton Morris, Dexter Francis, Brian Williams, Marvin Faustin, Kerry Jamerson, Russell Latapy, Paul Elliot-Allen (Dexter Francis 75), Dwight Yorke (Hutson Charles 61), Leonson Lewis, Philbert Jones.

U.S.A.: Tony Meola – John Doyle, Mike Windishmann, Paul Krumpe (John Stollmeyer 61), Steve Trittshuh, Paul Caligiuri, Brian Bliss, Tab Ramos, Peter Vermes, John Harkes, Bruce Murray.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »
Our biggest match ever
By Terence Hilton Clarke
(c)copyright

November 19 1999

WHILE this country has seen its share of notable football matches over the past century, no game on local soil, before or since, has been able to capture the level of national attention generated by the World Cup qualifier between Trinidad and Tobago and the U.S.A. on November 19, 1989.

It is probably the greatest football game in our history. The greatest, not because it was a high quality, outstanding contest (which it was not), but as an event.

Two months of anticipation preceded the contest during which the public was galvanized more than ever in support of the national team. Citizens obeyed the request to wear red during the weekend of the match and, it seemed that whoever was not at the National Stadium that afternoon was watching the game on television.

Trinidad and Tobago, unlike some of the more established foot balling countries, had never staged an international game approaching this level of importance. None of the previous World Cup qualifying matches held at home had the status of being the final obstacle to a place in the world’s greatest single-sport event.

But, it is this inexperience that may have been a crucial factor in the negative fall-out that occurred, both on and off the field. Certain things were poorly handled. For instance, it was a notoriously flagrant mistake to have the team remain at Forest Reserve up to the day of the game. Going to a church service, and then having to plod 78 km along crowded roads and highways was both physically and mentally draining. The American team, by contrast, was based right in Port of Spain at the Trinidad Hilton, just 15-20 minutes away from the National Stadium. While one could understand the need to have kept the local squad in a secluded locale such as Forest Reserve, logic should have prevailed when it mattered most. Why the Trinidad and Tobago team could not have spent the night before the game in Port of Spain (maybe even in comfortable hotel like the Americans) is a question that still hasn’t been answered.

Indeed, Trinidad and Tobago appeared listless during the first half of the game, during which the United States scored what turned out to be the winning goal. The home team
did display a little more aggression during the second period, but it wasn’t enough to break down the shield thrown up by what was, at that time, a defensive American side.

More questions arise concerning the safety of the spectators. While the National Stadium has been designed to hold 25,000 spectators, it seems that there were as much as 35,000 people in the arena. Seven months after the Hillsborough disaster in England, this should not have been allowed. Why were so many people put in danger? Couldn’t there have been a crush of human bodies? What about structural collapse? The fact remains that only 25,000 official tickets should have been printed and that these should have gone on sale soon after this country's penultimate qualifier against Guatemala on September 1. That way, the tickets most likely would have been sold out weeks in advance: thus preventing the sight of more than 3,000 people being turned away from an overcrowded venue. Instead, for the next five years, the TTFA would be the primary focus of the Seemungal Commission of Inquiry into the alleged overselling of tickets.

Another significant characteristic of the whole atmosphere surrounding the match was the lack of critical analysis regarding the team’s chances. No one in the mainstream press considered the fact that Trinidad and Tobago could lose this game. At the time, few had the perspective to realize that our progress had more to do with pride and determination than with possessing a technically gifted side. But, rather than advise caution, some journalists got carried away by the increasing momentum and made open predictions of victory.

While naiveté and a lack of precedent may have been responsible for the above, a degree of innocence played a part in the surreal scenes which greeted some foreign observers. Instead of bloodthirsty, raucous crowds, what the U.S.A. team encountered was a sea of light-hearted, crimson clad people: non threatening, festive and not prone to intimidation of visiting teams.

The downside, of course, was the fact that the fans did not get as involved in the game as they should have - particularly when Trinidad and Tobago was struggling. So caught up were people in the carnival side-show that many failed to pay much attention to what was happening on the field of play and, as such, didn’t start rallying behind their team until it was too late.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 07:48:29 AM »

Frico Merry Xmas. How old are you? Have you ever know anybody else in charge of football in TT? Please, don't say Ollie camps!!!!!

I brought magazine and used to watch that picture and the rest of the pix all the time. It was bitter sweet to say the least. Such passion in those pix was priceless. The disappointment was ......well. The mag was dumped when I was cleaning  up.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:16:57 AM by Deeks »

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Remembering the Strike Squad
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 05:44:17 AM »
Folks help me fill in the gaps or make corrections cause i'm going on straight memory
1. Earl Carter
2. Clayton Morris
3. Brian Williams
4. Dexter Francis
5. Floyd Lawrence
6. Marvin Faustin
8. Huston Charles
9. Marlon Morris
10. Russell Latapy
11. Leonson Lewis
12. Paul Elliot Allen
14. Philbert Jones
15. Maurice Alibey
16. Dwight Yorke
17. Kerry Jamerson
19. Dexter Lee
22. Michael Maurice

Talk about your favourite Strike Squad moment, for me was the game versus Guatemala in the stadium on September 3, 1989. The strike by Jamerson to win the game. Stadium went crazy, I will never forget.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Remembering the Strike Squad
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 06:20:37 AM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 07:29:47 AM »
Folks help me fill in the gaps or make corrections cause i'm going on straight memory

1. Earl “Spiderman” Carter
2. Clayton “JB” Morris
3. Brian Williams
4. Dexter “Peck” Francis
5. Floyd “Ninja” Lawrence
6. Marvin Faustin
7. Dexter Skeene
8. Hutson “Baba” Charles
9. Marlon Morris
10. Russell Latapy
11. Leonson Lewis
12. Paul Elliott Allen
13. Rickie Nelson
14. Philbert “Pamo” Jones
15. Maurice Alibey
16. Dwight Yorke
17. Kerry Jamerson
18. Richard Chinapoo
19. Dexter Lee
20. Leroy Spann
21. Errol “Yankee” Lovell
22. Michael “Brow” Maurice
23. Colvin Hutchinson
24. Kelvin Jones?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 07:59:36 AM »

1. Earl “Spiderman” Carter
2. Clayton “JB” Morris
3. Brian Williams
4. Dexter “Peck” Francis
5. Floyd “Ninja” Lawrence
6. Marvin Faustin
7. Dexter Skeene
8. Hutson “Baba” Charles
9. Marlon Morris
10. Russell Latapy
11. Leonson Lewis
12. Paul Elliott Allen
13. Rickie Nelson
14. Philbert “Pamo” Jones
15. Maurice Alibey
16. Dwight Yorke
17. Kerry Jamerson
18. Richard Chinapoo
19. Dexter Lee
20. Leroy Spann
21. Errol “Yankee” Lovell
22. Michael “Brow” Maurice
23. Colvin Hutchinson
24. Kelvin Jones?
Larry Joseph??

Offline Majestic

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 09:03:04 AM »
1. Earl Carter
2. Clayton Morris
3. Brian Williams
4. Dexter Francis
5. Floyd Lawrence
6. Marvin Faustin
7. Kelvin Jones
8. Huston Charles
9. Marlon Morris
10. Russell Latapy
11. Leonson Lewis
12. Paul Elliot Allen
13. Rickie Nelson
14. Philbert Jones
15. Maurice Alibey
16. Dwight Yorke
17. Kerry Jamerson
18. Colvin Hutchinson
19. Dexter Lee
20. Leroy Spann
21. Errol Lovell
22. Michael Maurice
Legendary....
He Is Highly

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »
They all should be invited to todays game.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 01:54:19 PM »

And the 06 guys too,it's a shame we don't hear much about them,i don't think they under lock down any more we have a new admin.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 02:01:51 PM »

As far as I know, they have been given tickets.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »

As far as I know, they have been given tickets.

Wonder if any of them showed up?

Good move by the TTFA.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 04:58:50 PM »
Why did we stop wearing white socks with the kits.. I don't like the red socks at all..

1]; } ?>