April 27, 2024, 05:04:38 PM

Author Topic: Shaka to feature in Westham vs Birmingham  (Read 3303 times)

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Shaka to feature in Westham vs Birmingham
« on: February 13, 2006, 06:46:53 AM »
West Ham United v Birmingham City

Monday 13 February 2006 20:00

HISLOP REVEALS WORLD CUP DREAM

Shaka Hislop hopes a run in the West Ham United side can boost his dream of playing in this summer’s World Cup finals.

The veteran goalkeeper will be between the posts again for tonight’s televised Barclays Premiership clash with Birmingham City at Upton Park because of a back injury to Roy Carroll.

It is another opportunity for Hislop, who will be 37 later this month, to show Trinidad & Tobago coach Leo Beenhakker he should be first choice in Germany, where they will face England, Sweden and Paraguay in Group B.

Fulham’s Tony Warner and Clayton Ince of Coventry City are both also included in the squad to face Iceland in a friendly at the end of February.

And Hislop hopes the chance of first-team football in the Barclays Premiership will help press his claim for a starting place.

“Nothing has really changed in that respect as I was always trying to push Roy as hard as I could, although now I suppose I have added reason to,” said Hislop, who returned to West Ham in the summer after being released by Portsmouth.

“I will be trying my hardest to get into the side and hold onto the shirt as long as possible because recently I have also been the number two for Trinidad.

“I am sure that if I can get a good run in the West Ham team, it would hopefully see me move up the pecking order internationally so I can play a big part in the summer.”

The Hammers will be looking for a seventh straight win tonight - one which would all but secure their top-flight status for another season.

Hislop said: “We have shown not only to everybody else, but more importantly to ourselves that we are good enough for this league and that the football we play will take us places and get us results.”

Steve Bruce has insisted he will “leave no stone unturned” to find why Birmingham are continually dogged by long-term injury problems.

The Blues chief has even hinted the club’s St Andrews pitch - newly laid last summer - may be a factor.

Bruce could have up to 11 players sidelined for tonight’s encounter.

The likes of David Dunn, Stan Lazaridis, Muzzy Izzet and Mikael Forssell have all had spells out of action of 12 months or more, leaving Bruce in a state of despair at times.

He said: “I hate to make excuses about injuries but we have got to seriously look at why we are getting so many injuries all of the time.

“I can’t put my finger on it. I have been a manager for nearly 10 years and I have been at Birmingham four years and I have never known anything like this.

“It is an unbelievable situation we find ourselves in. I will definitely leave no stone unturned to see if there is anything we can do to improve matters.

“We relaid a new pitch in the summer. It is something we are going to have to look into because they make pitches now much, much firmer than they used to be.

“That is why most pitches look good, and ours does for the time of year, but it is really firm and hard so maybe we will just blame it on that. Maybe it is something to do with that. Who knows?

“We will try to look at anything. Our training ground has been the same for the last three-and-a-half years so we can’t look at anything there which might be to blame.”

Bruce added: “If you look at the injuries we have got, most of them are muscular but two or three of them are twists. We have tried to do everything we possibly can but most times it seems to be happening in games.

“Three weeks ago we had everyone fit when we played Portsmouth. You were thinking then, ‘Hallelujah - at last a full squad’ and three weeks later we are down to ridiculous numbers again.”

The majority of Matthew Upson, Dunn, Izzet, Chris Sutton, Neil Kilkenny, Lazaridis and Olivier Tebily are unlikely to play against the Hammers while Emile Heskey and Damien Johnson are suspended.

But DJ Campbell and Martin Latka are eligible after missing the FA Cup replay win over Reading as Birmingham look to cut the six-point gap between themselves and fourth bottom West Bromwich Albion.

West Ham United (from): Hislop, Scaloni, Ferdinand, Gabbidon, Konchesky, Benayoun, Newton, Mullins, Reo-Coker, Etherington, Harewood, Zamora, Ashton, Sheringham, Katan, Bywater, Dailly, Clarke, Fletcher.

Birmingham City (from): Maik Taylor, Melchiot, Cunningham, Latka, Bruce, Painter, Gray, Pennant, Clapham, Clemence, Birley, Jarosik, Forssell, Heskey, Sutton, Campbell, Martin Taylor.

http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.rac?command=forwardOnly&nextPage=enCompFixtPrev&id=2586945

« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 11:38:25 AM by fivers »

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
Re: Shaka to feature in Ham vs Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 06:50:20 AM »
Big Up Shaka. I feel he still have 3 years left in him
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 10:40:30 AM by Carib-briton(aka Futbol) »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 10:03:59 AM »
Yeah man.  If the rest ain't playing regularly, and shaka does, he will be giving himself a good argument for being #1. Right now, he is in the lead in my book. 

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 11:09:19 AM »
honestly fellas I feel safer with him in the back they. No offence to Jack.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 08:27:53 AM »
West Ham 3-0 Birmingham

Two goals from Marlon Harewood helped West Ham notch a club record-equalling seventh straight win and add to Birmingham's relegation worries.
His first came when he was quickest to react to a lucky bounce off defender Kenny Cunningham.

The second arrived after the hour mark when he followed up his own saved penalty after a Martin Latka handball.

Dean Ashton soon added a third to wrap up an easy win against a Blues side who did not seriously test Shaka Hislop.

The victory sees West Ham move up to sixth in the Premiership, but leaves Steve Bruce's Birmingham side six points adrift of safety and deep in trouble.

After a sluggish opening, West Ham went ahead when Harewood made the most of sloppy defending by the visitors to fire powerfully past Maik Taylor.

Hayden Mullins soon had a chance to double the lead after a poor clearance by goalkeeper Taylor, but Alex Bruce took the ball off his toes as he lined up the shot.

Just as they seemed to be on the verge of taking charge of the game, West Ham seemed to go off the boil and allow the visitors back into the match.

Most of Birmingham's threat came on the left through Jiri Jarosik, but he could not find a way past Anton Ferdinand and Danny Gabbidon and was restricted to unconvincing long-range efforts.

Early in the second half the game seemed to be creeping towards something dramatic happening, and it duly did when West Ham scored twice in three minutes.

First, Harewood followed up to net after Taylor blocked his penalty following Latka's indiscretion.

And shortly afterwards record signing Ashton made it two goals in as many home starts when he stooped to head in Yossi Benayoun's flick-on at the far post.

The double strike killed off the match as a competitive spectacle, although Jermaine Pennant flashed in a couple of long-range free-kicks to give Birmingham some hope.

But they were reduced to off-target speculative efforts as Hislop was never seriously tested, and the final outcome was never in much doubt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

West Ham manager Alan Pardew on rising to sixth in the table:
"A number of sides have got to this position and fallen away, but we can't afford to do that.

"These players are hungry and young so we've got to keep pushing ourselves.

"This team has good spirit and if I can keep it together for the next few years we can challenge the big boys. We're making small steps towards that."

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce on their next three games against fellow struggling sides:
"The one thing we must do is show more resilience than we did here because we're in a relegation scrap.

"We've got to scrape and fight and show a bit more, especially going forward, to try and get the results we need.

"It'll be difficult but we're ready for the challenge ahead and I'm sure we can try and do it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

West Ham: Hislop, Scaloni, Ferdinand, Gabbidon, Konchesky, Benayoun, Mullins (Dailly 46), Reo-Coker, Etherington (Katan 77), Ashton (Zamora 77), Harewood.
Subs Not Used: Bywater, Sheringham.

Goals: Harewood 11, 63, Ashton 65.

Birmingham: Maik Taylor, Melchiot, Cunningham, Latka (Clapham 71), Gray, Pennant, Bruce, Clemence, Jarosik (Painter 71), Sutton, Forssell (Campbell 67).
Subs Not Used: Vaesen, Birley.

Booked: Bruce, Latka

Att: 31,294

Ref: D Gallagher (Oxfordshire)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 09:26:36 AM »
Man! Hislop had nutten to do in that game....Brum were Pi** poor. Shaka was even knocking it about with the defence wastin time in the last few minutes. His distribution from goalkicks was excellent  though (Jack take note!) and was causing Birmingham nuff trouble with Ashton's heading ability and Harewood's pace exploiting the accuracy.

Shaka fuh the No.1 spot I say.  :praying:

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: Shaka to feature in Westham vs Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 12:32:51 PM »
Man! Hislop had nutten to do in that game....Brum were Pi** poor. Shaka was even knocking it about with the defence wastin time in the last few minutes. His distribution from goalkicks was excellent though (Jack take note!) and was causing Birmingham nuff trouble with Ashton's heading ability and Harewood's pace exploiting the accuracy.

Shaka fuh the No.1 spot I say. :praying:

I was saying the same thing.  Shaka got the chance to work on his distribution.  His punting was deep and very accurate, and it caused the Brom backline a lot of problems, with the flick on headers and speedy West Ham frontline.  Hopefully, he could keep Carroll out of the starting lineup with this winning streak going. Why change a winning formula?

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 03:17:55 PM »
Hislop Is the # 1. I like how he covers and his kick out was outstanding, especially with a running Forward. The defence looked comfortable passing the ball to hi, as a Sweeper and his kick out caused real problem in the Opposition third.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 05:05:36 PM »
Once Hislop playing EPL...even if he plays 1/3 of the season...he starting for TnT. We need a calm experienced soldier when the big dance reach.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 05:50:58 PM »
How much is that now 7 outta 7 ?

1]; } ?>