April 25, 2024, 06:11:40 PM

Author Topic: ATO sworn in as a UNC senator!!!  (Read 27110 times)

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
ATO sworn in as a UNC senator!!!
« on: February 14, 2006, 11:56:53 AM »
Ato is now a UNC senator...is that what the meeting wid jack was about? and here I thought it had to do with the DVD..anyways congrats ATO all the best to you...please don't make the politics change you and keep speaking your mind.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: ATO sworn in as a UNC senator!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 12:57:52 PM »
Soooooooooo does that mean I hafta have respect and ah cyah cuss man upside down when he online ?  :devil:

wait ah now reading over....is UNC Senator ya say ?

oh !!!

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ato - UNC Senator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 02:25:35 PM »
Heard he got sworn in today....is my info correct???
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ato - UNC Senator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 02:26:24 PM »
there's another thread in the general discussion area that says so
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 02:28:10 PM by daryn »

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 02:27:26 PM »
 ??? ??? ??? ???

no please tell me thats not true.

steroids is one ting

buh UNC?

no man ato.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Silver-Corbeaux

• Jr. Warrior
  • RF is really ah Trini hornchile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 02:35:28 PM »
Good fit for Ato. Ato will fit right in,.....UNC like to come second too. ;D

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 03:02:13 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 04:02:44 PM »
<scatches her head>  UNC Senator right !!!!  :thinking:

Offline real-warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Ato now a UNC senator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 05:07:41 PM »
Ato has just been appointes a senator for UNC. I wonder if he could help ??? he say he is planning on movin bak to trini!!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 05:12:40 PM by arealwarrior »

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 05:13:07 PM »
Steeups!!

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 06:01:40 PM »
Ah wonder if this would affect the Warrior Nation appearing on his Bahrain DVD? Ah feel JW would want to take it over and call it he own now...hmmmm..never tort ah would ah see ATO in politics..ah know he have a big mouth  ;D no pun intended ato :) but senator...and UNC to boot? oh well..life goes on.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 07:21:30 PM »
[/quote

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 07:46:27 PM »
Some of allyuh bandwagon people have no 4qing class. What Ato do allyuh?  To try and belittle de man achievements in his athletic life is very unfair whether yuh like UNC or not.  No class at all!!!  And no ah doh like UNC either but I eh go get on so and bring down a brudda who put we on de map selflessly.

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 09:31:20 PM »
Some of allyuh bandwagon people have no 4qing class. What Ato do allyuh?  To try and belittle de man achievements in his athletic life is very unfair whether yuh like UNC or not.  No class at all!!!  And no ah doh like UNC either but I eh go get on so and bring down a brudda who put we on de map selflessly.

I eh belittling he medals and all what he do fuh T/T.

but I real disappointed tuh see he on de side ah Panday.

Look at de men who resign because dey had enough ah Pandya´s shit..and Ato jes step in so_

I disagree and I big enough tuh say so!

Ato say he dey tuh serve de people..but we all know..lie with dogs and yuh go get fleas.
i want ah man like Ato in public life.

We need men like Ato who does say it as it is...but..wey!

Panday and Jack_

Nah!

Retired star sprinter Ato Boldon takes the oath as an Opposition Senator during yesterday's sitting of the Senate at the Red House, Port of Spain. 

The man who has won the most Olympic medals for Trinidad and Tobago is now a United National Congress (UNC) senator.

Senator Boldon, 32, was appointed by Leader of the Opposition Basdeo Panday to replace Roy Augustus who resigned 24 hours earlier.

And Panday who was in the Senate to witness Boldon's swearing in along with UNC Deputy Political Leader Jack Warner, said Boldon was appointed "to help us (UNC) do what we can to bring the youths of this country at a level that will be admired by the whole world. That was the main purpose in appointing him."

Panday said Boldon "is a hero to the young people in the country, and the reason we asked him to join us in the Senate is so that he may be an inspiration to the young people in the country".

As the swearing-in exercise was completed Panday and Warner shook hands and smiled.

Warner said yesterday he was the one who asked Boldon to become a Senator.

Later at a scheduled news conference in the Parliament building, Boldon said he accepted the job in the Senate in order to be a bridge between the old and the young and the PNM and the UNC.

"My agenda is singular. I am not in this to be in the papers, for any political gain," he said. Boldon later added: "The UNC is not my agenda, neither is the PNM. The youth and sport in this country are."

Responding to questions on the problems within the UNC and in the country, Boldon said none of it was new to him. He said he was prepared to work with only those who were prepared to work with him. He said he did not expect his new job to be easy but he was accepting challenges.

He said he believed that young people feel that this country no longer cares about them.

Boldon said he knows "fully well how my country is. I don't expect everyone to understand my decision to suddenly have a cause for which I am willing to commit".

He said because of his successes in athletics he wants to "give back" to the people of this country.

He thanked Warner and Panday for the opportunity to serve.

Boldon said however that he was promised certain things by the PNM some four years ago but they did not materialise. He said he does not have much to do now, having retired from track and field. He insisted that he wanted something to do to contribute to the people of Trinidad and Tobago "and what I see in this opportunity is a chance to do something".

He then invited Education Minister Hazel Manning, Tourism Minister Howard Chin Lee and Sports Minister Roger Boynes to work with him "because 2006 is going to be a very important year for Trinidad and Tobago, because of our World Cup presence".

He said Trinidad and Tobago could become a better place if people were willing to make tough decisions and unpopular decisions. He said this country can also improve "if people were willing to not stand on the fence and to actually get into the field of play and do something".

Earlier in the Senate, Leader of Government Business Lenny Saith welcomed Senator Boldon, saying that "he has had a distinguished career in athletics and I am sure that after a few sittings he'll realise that this is slightly different to the tracks. You could run but you can't hide".

« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 11:22:42 PM by truetrini »

Offline ballfever

• Jr. Warrior
  • Dream d'dream, live d'game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 10:03:30 PM »
Open letter to a fellow forumite:
Ato, this is a statement of genuine concern from a genuine fan. I never saw you as one with political aspirations,( i thought that your decision to turn to broadcasting was a brilliant one) but then again, say what, to each his own. In this regard, I say congratulations on your appointment to the Senate, and I wish you the best in your journey to achieving your stated objectives.Our youth really do need a recognised voice at that level, and so I say to you, well done!

Let me state categorically before continuing that I hold no brief for either the PNM or the UNC. I vote because it is my constitutional right to do so, and I may be one of the minority in this country that actually vote based on issues and the individual candidate rather than propaganda and party.However, my concern lies with the party that you have chosen to represent at this time. By choosing to support the UNC at this time, you have inadvertently lent your support (and your good name) to:
* politics having a morality of its own, separate and apart from personal morality
* a dictatorship/maximum leader situation where one man rules supreme, and freedom of speech is likely to get you fired (I never liked the best bone in Robin Montano's body,but aren't there disciplinary procedures that can be followed when someone allegedly "steps out of line", or do we go straight for the hatchet?)
* supposedly brilliant colleagues (doctors, lawyers, etc.) who follow blindly manouvre after manouvre concocted by the then political leader (now party chairman), not supporting legislation in Parliament, designed to gain political mileage on the incumbent government, while the country goes to hell in a handbasket over the crime situation. Spineless professionals who prefer to stay quiet and be in their leader's "good books" rather than standing up and speaking out for what is right

You have voluntarily accepted the position and chosen to associate yourself, albeit inadvertently(i give you the benefit of the doubt) with some rather questionable phenomena occuring in T&T today. It is not for me to judge. Politics,the nasty game that it is, is like chess. Move after move, strategy after strategy, until eventually the masses have their say, and only time will tell whether your move at this time was to your benefit. We are heading into an election year. I ask you to remember the not too distant past,when similar high profile individuals were brought to the forefront:Winston 'Gypsy' Peters and Carlos John to name two.Where are they now, after having served the purpose of the puppetmaster?

I remain a steadfast fan of yours, not able to easily forget your olympic glory, but in the words of another forumite, Ato......
CHECK DE DANGER.....!
if yuh check mih heart in mih chest, mix up wit d'red blood, it have a black & white stripe somewhere in dey!.....long b4 foot ball,durin' world cup and after..T&T FOREVER! WE COUNTRY, WE SPIRIT,WE VIBES! WARRIOR NATION!

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Congratulations Senator Boldon
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 11:05:51 PM »
Dear Senator Boldon,

I would like to congratulate you today on becoming a senator.  I hope that as you said, you help to bridge the gap between the young and old. More importantly, I hope you help to bridge the gap that plagues my country between our cultures by trying to assist in educating our youth that we are ONE PEOPLE and all races can work together.  I also hope that you remember who you are and be honest first to yourself and to the Trinidadian people regardless of what politics will play out.. Remember you have a responsibility to the YOUTH...Remember from hence forth, whatever you say in the media or write, the VULTURES will be out for you....
Best advice-Think before you respond.
All the best with the best intentions...
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Re: Congratulations Senator Boldon
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 11:09:18 PM »
ATO SHOCKER

Boldon now a UNC senator

Richard Lord

Wednesday, February 15th 2006

Retired star sprinter Ato Boldon takes the oath as an Opposition Senator during yesterday's sitting of the Senate at the Red House, Port of Spain. 

The man who has won the most Olympic medals for Trinidad and Tobago is now a United National Congress (UNC) senator.

Senator Boldon, 32, was appointed by Leader of the Opposition Basdeo Panday to replace Roy Augustus who resigned 24 hours earlier.

And Panday who was in the Senate to witness Boldon's swearing in along with UNC Deputy Political Leader Jack Warner, said Boldon was appointed "to help us (UNC) do what we can to bring the youths of this country at a level that will be admired by the whole world. That was the main purpose in appointing him."

Panday said Boldon "is a hero to the young people in the country, and the reason we asked him to join us in the Senate is so that he may be an inspiration to the young people in the country".

As the swearing-in exercise was completed Panday and Warner shook hands and smiled.

Warner said yesterday he was the one who asked Boldon to become a Senator.

Later at a scheduled news conference in the Parliament building, Boldon said he accepted the job in the Senate in order to be a bridge between the old and the young and the PNM and the UNC.

"My agenda is singular. I am not in this to be in the papers, for any political gain," he said. Boldon later added: "The UNC is not my agenda, neither is the PNM. The youth and sport in this country are."

Responding to questions on the problems within the UNC and in the country, Boldon said none of it was new to him. He said he was prepared to work with only those who were prepared to work with him. He said he did not expect his new job to be easy but he was accepting challenges.

He said he believed that young people feel that this country no longer cares about them.

Boldon said he knows "fully well how my country is. I don't expect everyone to understand my decision to suddenly have a cause for which I am willing to commit".

He said because of his successes in athletics he wants to "give back" to the people of this country.

He thanked Warner and Panday for the opportunity to serve.

Boldon said however that he was promised certain things by the PNM some four years ago but they did not materialise. He said he does not have much to do now, having retired from track and field. He insisted that he wanted something to do to contribute to the people of Trinidad and Tobago "and what I see in this opportunity is a chance to do something".

He then invited Education Minister Hazel Manning, Tourism Minister Howard Chin Lee and Sports Minister Roger Boynes to work with him "because 2006 is going to be a very important year for Trinidad and Tobago, because of our World Cup presence".

He said Trinidad and Tobago could become a better place if people were willing to make tough decisions and unpopular decisions. He said this country can also improve "if people were willing to not stand on the fence and to actually get into the field of play and do something".

Earlier in the Senate, Leader of Government Business Lenny Saith welcomed Senator Boldon, saying that "he has had a distinguished career in athletics and I am sure that after a few sittings he'll realise that this is slightly different to the tracks. You could run but you can't hide".

Warrior For Life !!

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 11:12:35 PM »
n keep dis shit in de general discussion forum.

Wha de arse!

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 11:18:25 PM »
truetrini...before yuh bump yuh gum anymore...read the artilce ah lil more carefully..this is relevant to this forum !!

"He then invited Education Minister Hazel Manning, Tourism Minister Howard Chin Lee and Sports Minister Roger Boynes to work with him "because 2006 is going to be a very important year for Trinidad and Tobago, because of our World Cup presence".
"
Warrior For Life !!

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 11:21:26 PM »
truetrini...before yuh bump yuh gum anymore...read the artilce ah lil more carefully..this is relevant to this forum !!

"He then invited Education Minister Hazel Manning, Tourism Minister Howard Chin Lee and Sports Minister Roger Boynes to work with him "because 2006 is going to be a very important year for Trinidad and Tobago, because of our World Cup presence".
"

Bump meh gums?  Steups  yuh going mad ah what?  Dis already posted in de general discussion forum.  And it irrelevant!

Keep Politics outta we football forum...it eh relevant ah arse!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 11:24:16 PM by truetrini »

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 11:27:13 PM »
I FRIGGIN AGREE dis hav no place here

a lil 2 word bout world cup an it deserve a place hellll no
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 11:31:51 PM »
This is very relevant to this board and Ato`s involvement in the Senate can also assist in the grassroots projects of sport development.  Ato having already played a role in making a movie of the the soca warriors as well as the future marketing prospects. His name will play in the representation of sport on a whole in Trinidad and Tobago will speak volumes.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 11:34:38 PM by rotatopoti3 »
Ah say it, how ah see it

truetrini

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 11:33:25 PM »
This is very relevant to this board and Ato`s involvement in the Senate can also assist in the grassroots projects of sport development.  Ato having already played a role in making a movie of the the soca warriors as well as the future marketing prospects his name will play in the representation of sport on a whole in Trinidad and Tobago will speak volumes.

As a Senator Ato eh influencing nutten in T&T!

If yuh say dat is ah springboard fuh him to fulfill he political ambitions..cool.

But it still need to be in de General Discussion forum

STEUPS!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 11:41:00 PM »
look fight down start

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 11:44:51 PM »
This article can clearly be posted in several forums, most notably track and field, football,general discussion etc.  The point being, regardless of individuals political preferences, I want to believe that sometimes we need to keep an open mind when it pertains to the youth of our nation.
Ah say it, how ah see it

truetrini

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 11:57:35 PM »
This article can clearly be posted in several forums, most notably track and field, football,general discussion etc.  The point being, regardless of individuals political preferences, I want to believe that sometimes we need to keep an open mind when it pertains to the youth of our nation.

yuh wanted Jack tuh get ah Trinity Cross too!  I still maintain dis should be on de general discussion forum and it dey already too!

Good luck ato!  ah hope yuh ready fuh dis.....is like U En See dat party self destructing.

again best ah luck bredda....yuh overcome plenty obstacles so ah sure yuh strong enough and yuh back broad enough.

God bless yuh!

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2006, 12:03:55 AM »
Thank yuh sar...nuff respect TruTrini :applause:....let we give d boy ah chance...Ato....ah praying yuh make d best of this opportunity :praying: or else yuh know man  out for  :flamethrower:
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2006, 12:07:26 AM »
allyuh relax. ato is a poster, if one of us was nominated for that position it'd be fine to have in the football forum.  so just chill out. congrats ato.
Hart for president

truetrini

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 12:10:48 AM »
Thank yuh sar...nuff respect TruTrini :applause:....let we give d boy ah chance...Ato....ah praying yuh make d best of this opportunity :praying: or else yuh know man  out for  :flamethrower:

fella I remain skeptical!  Is Trinidad we talking about and Ato is ah political choice fuh political mileage.

IF  Ato is able to achieve ANYTHING....no matter how small as a Senator I will come here and say ah was wrong!

If you, Ato or anyone else feels dat he can get anything done in T&T while in the capacity of opposition senator...den keep dreaming!

Besides he is in a party that is self destructing and is a bit of an oligarchy!

as I said God bl;ess and keep strong Ato!

Ah feel dat dis is jes ah spring board....but hey, yuh do it many times before despite de odds..prove meh wrong...ah go be happy tuh say ah was wrong.....But......!

Offline whayuhsay

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2006, 12:50:47 AM »
You is de same arse kissing George Bush/ Dick Cheney right wing Republican supporter? 

Padnah,. take yuh political sh!t somewhere else nah.  Both UNC and PNM, all ah dem people phu*uing up de country, it doh matter who in power but is obvious you is a UNC, so please tell me what de hell dis have tuh do with football?  If i had posted this thread of similar political twist, but PNM/NAR/NJAC relevance, it would have been deleted.  Look, doh get meh vex, I doh give one arse about de UNC or de almighty runner Ato Boldon so please get rid of dis thread.

This is very relevant to this board and Ato`s involvement in the Senate can also assist in the grassroots projects of sport development.  Ato having already played a role in making a movie of the the soca warriors as well as the future marketing prospects. His name will play in the representation of sport on a whole in Trinidad and Tobago will speak volumes.

1]; } ?>