April 18, 2024, 01:02:09 AM

Author Topic: Theobald can be on top of the world  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Theobald can be on top of the world
« on: February 16, 2006, 08:26:21 AM »
Theobald can be on top of the world.
By Alan Marshall (Daily Record).

John Huges last night challenged Densill Theobald to kick-start his Falkirk career and win a ticket to the World Cup. The Trinidad and Tobago midfielder joined the Bairns on an 18-month deal from Caledonia AIA Fire in his homeland last month after a glowing recommendation by player-coach Russell Latapy.
Theobald, 23, was tipped to be a star and manager Hughes even compared the playmaker with former Manchester United hero Dwight Yorke.
But he has failed to make a single first-team appearance and his lack of action prompted national manager Leo Beenhakker to leave him out of the squad for a friendly against Iceland at Loftus Road on February 28.
His omission, along with St Johnstone's Jason Scotland and Kelvin Jack of Dundee, has sparked fears the trio may not make the final squad for the World Cup in Germany this summer.
Hughes believes Theobald - capped 34 times - has struggled to find his feet in his new surroundings and had talks with the player to help him settle.
Now the Bairns boss hopes he can quickly prove his worth as the club seek to retain their SPL status and claim a Scottish Cup semi-final berth with a win over Hibs next weekend.
Hughes said: "Densill is still settling into his digs and his surroundings but I want more from him as he has yet to play in the team.
"I spoke with him about what we expect from him - it was only fair that I did that. He is a nice football player, fantastic at times with a great left and right foot, but I had to have a word with him.
"I told him what we want out of him and asked him to bring that into his training. It will increase his chance of getting into the team. "He is on the fringes and I'm asking him to make sure he gets on the bench then into the first team. He needs to be playing because he could have a very big summer ahead of him."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 08:32:20 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Theobald can be on top of the world
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 09:22:41 AM »

John Huges last night challenged Densill Theobald to kick-start his Falkirk career and win a ticket to the World Cup. The Trinidad and Tobago midfielder joined the Bairns on an 18-month deal from Caledonia AIA Fire in his homeland last month after a glowing recommendation by player-coach Russell Latapy.
Theobald, 23, was tipped to be a star and manager Hughes even compared the playmaker with former Manchester United hero Dwight Yorke.
But he has failed to make a single first-team appearance and his lack of action prompted national manager Leo Beenhakker to leave him out of the squad for a friendly against Iceland at Loftus Road on February 28.
His omission, along with St Johnstone's Jason Scotland and Kelvin Jack of Dundee, has sparked fears the trio may not make the final squad for the World Cup in Germany this summer.
Hughes believes Theobald - capped 34 times - has struggled to find his feet in his new surroundings and had talks with the player to help him settle.
Now the Bairns boss hopes he can quickly prove his worth as the club seek to retain their SPL status and claim a Scottish Cup semi-final berth with a win over Hibs next weekend.
Hughes said: "Densill is still settling into his digs and his surroundings but I want more from him as he has yet to play in the team.
"I spoke with him about what we expect from him - it was only fair that I did that. He is a nice football player, fantastic at times with a great left and right foot, but I had to have a word with him.
"I told him what we want out of him and asked him to bring that into his training. It will increase his chance of getting into the team. "He is on the fringes and I'm asking him to make sure he gets on the bench then into the first team. He needs to be playing because he could have a very big summer ahead of him."

This is one of the biggest adjustments local "starboys" have to make when going to a foreign club.  The way men like to cruise through training and play well in games is not the European way atall.  You have to show your worth on the training ground in order to get selected for the squad.

After the way Theobald was bumping he gum about "Falkirk is a small club and he wants to move on to bigger thngs" he better raise he game, get on the field and do it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 09:24:22 AM by Jahyouth »

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 09:36:38 AM »
i agree wit dat sentiment   come on bleeder show dem wat d nelson cud do
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 11:07:15 AM »
After the way Theobald was bumping he gum about "Falkirk is a small club and he wants to move on to bigger thngs" he better raise he game, get on the field and do it.

I can't agree with you more.   Theobald is now realizing that you have to work hard to get on the field.  Instead of looking at what team he might make after world cup he needs to make sure that he can even get onto his local club's team so that he could get consideration for the national team.  Time to put in the hard work.... Yorke, Stern and them doh tell yuh, but they take real kick up and cuss before they got their chances to shine...
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

TrinInfinite

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 11:56:37 AM »

This is one of the biggest adjustments local "starboys" have to make when going to a foreign club.  The way men like to cruise through training and play well in games is not the European way atall.  You have to show your worth on the training ground in order to get selected for the squad.

who say is anything tuh do with work ethic, allyuh juss assuming dat, is de friggin weather adjustment, not de work ethic, u think is easy 2 put on short pants in 5 degree weather when yuh coming from 30 degree weather wit no cold rain and breathin mist, allyuh mad or wha, its no excuse but we players have  2 get adjusted 2 de weather, dats de main problem
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 11:58:41 AM by TrinInfinite »

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 12:14:17 PM »

who say is anything tuh do with work ethic, allyuh juss assuming dat, is de friggin weather adjustment, not de work ethic, u think is easy 2 put on short pants in 5 degree weather when yuh coming from 30 degree weather wit no cold rain and breathin mist, allyuh mad or wha, its no excuse but we players have  2 get adjusted 2 de weather, dats de main problem
Have you call him yet ??? Or yuh jus' assumin dat ???
Live large and prosper!

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 12:31:46 PM »
I agree with you guys, rather than talking shite about Falkirk being a stepping stone to bigger things, prove your worth at the small club and start shooting off your mouth. I know he didn't mean any disrespect to Falkirk but weather or not, this is European football and if you want to talk the talk then you have to back it up. Talent alone can only get you so far.

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 03:06:03 PM »

but remeber is also freedom of speech.  he should be able to say how he feels when the press asks him questions. but for the polotical sake and him being at a club for a long time he shouldnt have said what he said about the club and kept those feelings to himself.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 03:37:33 PM »

but remeber is also freedom of speech.  he should be able to say how he feels when the press asks him questions. but for the polotical sake and him being at a club for a long time he shouldnt have said what he said about the club and kept those feelings to himself.

with freedom comes responsibility.
I hope that is not a factor and he just taking a lil longer to settle in.

Offline lp

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 06:07:44 PM »

You have to show your worth on the training ground in order to get selected for the squad.

Forgive me if I sound a Lil naive... isn't that the purpose of training. You really mean that's not what they do it in TnT? Thank God for Beenie... things have to change.

Offline trinidre

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 06:20:57 PM »
In Trini we tend to have the mentality that the star men will play regardless of what they do in training but it's not like that in europe......over there you have to work for yuh spot because it have plenty other men in training working hard to get on the field on game day.......talent does only take yuh so far for real

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 06:28:19 PM »
de ting is ova dey he eh have no rank so he hadda work he way up an de only way he doin da is thru trainin

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 05:04:34 AM »
de ting is ova dey he eh have no rank so he hadda work he way up an de only way he doin da is thru trainin

Good point.
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 03:36:40 PM »
The coaching mentality in Trini is that stars are allowed to take it down a level in training and then are expected to turn it up a notch in games.  That is total ta-ta.  That is why men does cruise and not reach full potential, cause the coaches does be sinding the message that men done reach before they reach.  No disrespect,. but our local coaches are responsible for a lot of the shit that our players does bring when they come to the national team, because they condone a lot of sh*t from these so-called stars.  This is not about Theobald; I'm just speaking generally.  We need to make practices more intense. 

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 05:58:02 PM »
The coaching mentality in Trini is that stars are allowed to take it down a level in training and then are expected to turn it up a notch in games.  That is total ta-ta.  That is why men does cruise and not reach full potential, cause the coaches does be sinding the message that men done reach before they reach.  No disrespect,. but our local coaches are responsible for a lot of the shit that our players does bring when they come to the national team, because they condone a lot of sh*t from these so-called stars.  This is not about Theobald; I'm just speaking generally.  We need to make practices more intense. 

[size=15t]Totally agree. We do it our selves as players and family members of players
We promote the individual rather than the team
[/size]

1]; } ?>