April 24, 2024, 10:01:19 PM

Author Topic: St Clair students voted top footballers.  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
St Clair students voted top footballers.
« on: February 20, 2006, 07:10:26 AM »
St Clair students voted top footballers.
By: Joel Bailey (Newsday).
[/size]

Dwight Yorke and Kennya Cordner were named as the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) "Male and Female Players of the Year" yesterday.
The award ceremony was staged at Calypso Lounge, Crowne Plaza Hotel, Port-of-Spain.
Yorke and Cordner who, coincidentally, began their careers with the St Clair Coaching School under former national coach Bertille St Clair— Cordner is still a part of the institute— will be the TTFF representatives at the FCB Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year 2005 award ceremony, which is scheduled for March 7.
The 34-year-old Yorke returned from a three-and-a-half year hiatus from the national team to don the captain’s armband, and led the squad to a historic qualification to the FIFA World Cup in Germany.
Ironically, Yorke was the captain under St Clair when TT featured in its first ever global football tournament— the 1991 FIFA World Youth Championships in Portugal. Cordner, who is half of Yorke’s age (17), is a pint-sized but exciting striker who was a member of the Under-20 women’s team who failed to advance to the 2006 World Under-20 Championships in Russia.
Trinidad and Tobago Under-15 captain Jesse Fullerton and national Under-20 player Patrice Superville were also adjudged as the "Male and Female Youth Players of the Year".
Fullerton is a strongly-built goalkeeper from Queen’s Royal College while Superville is a 14-year-old defender from Real Dimension.
Former Strike Squad defender Brian Williams, who was recently named as the Pro League "Coach of the Year", added the TTFF "Coach of the Year" Trophy to his collection. Williams guided United Petrotrin to the Pro League’s Big Six title late last year.
The "Team of the Year" title went to the Defence Force, who participate in the Northern Football Association, while the Eastern Football Association (EFA) is the "Association of the Year" and the EFA’s secretary Neville Ferguson the "Administrator of the Year".
And the pair of Neal Brizan and Shane De Silva captured the "Male and Female Referees of the Year" respectively.
Awards were also presented to the winners of the 2005 FA Trophy competition.
CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh took the "FA Challenge Trophy" and the prize of $46,500 while Defence Force finished as the runners-up.
Wesley Noreiga of Maraval Youth Academy captured the "Most Valuable Player" prize while W Connection took both the "Fair Play" and "Most Entertaining Team" trophies.
The Defence Force duo of Kerry Jamerson and Cleon John were the "Coach of the Tournament" and "Goalkeeper of the Tournament" while Jabloteh’s striker Jason Marcano was the "Most Promising Player".
And the "Referee Quartet of the Tournament" were Brizan, Michael Ragoonath, Joseph Taylor and Richard Piper.
Petrotrin’s Brian Williams is TTFF’s coach of the Year.
By: Joel Villafana.
[/size]

Fresh from being awarded the T&T Pro League’s ‘Coach of Year—The United Petrotrin Coach received another honour for his work with the ‘Oilmen’ last season. The former national defender was named the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation’s ‘Coach of the year. The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation held its annual awards on Sunday 19th February at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Brian Williams led United Petrotrin to the ‘Lucozade sport Big Six Title in their very first season in the top flight.
In the TTFF’s F.A. Trophy competition—CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh collected their winners trophy after they defeated Defence Force in the finals of the competition. However, Defence Force Coach Kerry Jamerson was named Coach of the tournament.
The ‘most entertaining team’ and the ‘fair play award’ went to Pro League Champions Vibe CT 105 W Connection. The Army’s Cleon John was voted goalkeeper of the competition, while San Juan Jabloteh’s Jason Marcano was named ‘most promising player’.
Strike Squad duo take top TTFF Awards.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Former National team defender Brian Williams, current team captain Dwight Yorke and female footballer Kenya Cordner were the major recipients at the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation’s 2005 End of season awards ceremony at the Crowne Plaza on Sunday.
Yorke was named the TTFF’s Player of the Year for his outstanding efforts in helping the team as captain to 2006 World Cup qualification while Cordner, of Tobago, was announced as the Female “Player of the Year” for her performances for the T&T’s Women’s team.
Both players will vie for the FCB National Sportsman and Sportswoman of the year awards.
Williams, head coach of Pro League club United Petrotrin, was adjudged the “Coach of the Year” and received his award from National Senior team assistant coach Wim Rijsbergen, a member of the Dutch 1974 and 1978 World Cup teams.
National Under 15 captain and goalkeeper Jessie Fullerton was named the Youth male “Player of the Year” and Patrice Superville took home the female version of the award.
Former National team coach and player Sedley Joseph, in his feature address, gave a brief run down on the history of the game in T&T and also gave come commendations and made some recommendations for the future development of the sport locally.
“Although Trinidad and Tobago has only now reached a World Cup final since its entry to World Cup football in 1965, this small country and its footballers have been on the world scene for many years.
“A Trinidad and Tobago team traveled to England in 1953 and did quite well playing against some of the top players of the time and holding their own winning five, losing six and drawing three of the fourteen games played.
“Some of you may remember the names Joey Gonsalves, Conrad Braithwaite, Ian Seales, Robert Hamel-Smith, Squekie Hinds, Shay Seymour, Matthew Nunes and I will not be forgiven if I didn’t include my eldest brother Allan as well. Shay Seymour and Matthew Nunes eventually went on to play professional football in England following in the footsteps of Alfred Charels who I believe was the country’s first professional footballer.
In 1959 Some of the country’s players were members of a Caribbean team which toured England in 1959. Some of the names come quickly to mind – Pat Gomez, Tyrone de Labastide, Eddie Aleong, Willie Rodriguez, Doyle Griffith, Len Leggard among others.
In 1965, Trinidad and Tobago’s debut to World Cup football came against Surinam at the Queen’s Park Oval. We scored in the first minute through Jeff Gellineau and went on to win 4-1. But we lost  the return game and eventually went out of the series, also losing to Costa Rica. Football in this country at the time was played over sixty minutes.
In 1967, the Trinidad and Tobago team won a bronze medal at the Pan American Games in Winnipeg. This team was supposed to finish last in a group with Colombia, Argentina and Mexico. But emerged top at the end of the group stage. The Olympic Association had booked our return to Trinidad the night of our last game against Mexico. The return date had to be changed as we were involved in the semi finals.
Joseph went on to comment briefly on the happenings of the 1974 and 1989 experiences.
"I have also lamented the fact that we never really had a proper development programme and as a result many youngsters who should have graduated from the country’s youth teams, just fell by the way side.
“A development programme has been put in place by technical director Lincoln Phillips but I understand that resources are sadly lacking so that the benefits of such a programme are not accruing to the youngsters. Hopefully this would be corrected very soon.
“Over the years we have had several changes in the coaching personnel and players as well and it is my contention that there should be a nucleus of top players to which other players could be added for many competitions and friendlies leading World Cup qualification in the future.
“My final concern is the fact that both the Pro League and the Super League run parallel to each other. The Pro League should consist of the best clubs who obviously would attract the best players. The Super League should be a reserve league or feeder league to the Pro League where players vie for places in teams in the pro league. Lack of personalities is one of the top reasons for the low public support of league games in the Pro League.
“Every football lover in the country and as a matter of fact all Caribbean people are looking forward to Trinidad and Tobago’s entry on the world scene and although I do not expect T&T to beat the pants off the teams in their group, I expect a good, determined effort, of which everyone of us will be extremely proud. A draw or victory will be a plus, movement to the second round I am sure will be rewarded with another holiday or two.
“I would like to congratulate the administration, particularly Mr Warner, who kept the faith, the technical staff, and the players most of all for the grit and determination in the last few games. I wish the team the best in their initiation to World Cup football and hope that this is not a one and done as far as qualification for World Cup in the future is concerned,” ended Joseph.
There were also words from Minister of Sport Roger Boynes who commended all award recipients and continued his promising words of contribution towards the “Soca Warriors” for the qualification success and upcoming World Cup campaign.
"You are probably waiting to hear what's up with the budget for the Soca Warriors' participation in Germany. The budget will be under discussion this week by the Cabinet and we are pretty calm about the matter so you can follow our lead on that. All of us know, that the Government, led by the honourable Prime Minister, will do to honour the Soca Warriors is going to be something significant. The Government is going to give something of lasting value and that's all I am willing to say without letting the cat out of the bag," Boynes said.
Amoy Van Low, a representative of major sponsor TSTT also addressed the gathering which included several local football officials, award recipients and other sponsors.

The Honour Roll.

FA Awards

Referee Quartet of the Tournament-Neil Brizan, Joseph Taylor, Michael Ragoonath, Richard Piper

Most Entertaining Team-Vibe CT 105 W Connection

Fair Play Award-Vibe CT 105 W Connection

Goalkeeper of the Tournament-Cleon John (Defence Force)

MVP of the Tournament-Wesley Noriega

Most Promising Player-Jason Marcano (CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh)

Coach of the Tournament-Kerry Jamerson (Defence Force)

FA runners-up-Defence Force $22,500

FA Challenge Trophy-CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh $46,500

Honorary Awards

Referee of the Year-Neil Brizan (Male), Shane De Silva (Female)

Youth Player of the Year-Jesse Fullerton (Male), Patrice Superville (Female)

Coach of the Year-Brian Williams (United Petrotrin)

Association of the Year-Eastern Football Association

Team of the Year-Defence Force/NFA

Player of the Year-Dwight Yorke (Male), Kenya Cordner (Female).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 04:08:20 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: St Clair students voted top footballers.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 09:42:21 AM »
I want to congratulate BSc and Tobago Footballers on their achievements in the just concluded end of year function,it's a way of proving to the nation that Tobago have just as much talent as it's Trinidad counterparts,it's regretable that Coaches/Players in Tobago always feel that they don't stand a chance and give up on trying to reach the top,this should be an incentive to all T&T players.

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: St Clair students voted top footballers.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 07:07:59 PM »
We Tobago people allways knew this. The federation need to pay closer attention to the talent over there. For years Tobago youths been doing excelent. Primary school right up to high school. I am hearing them haters boy!

1]; } ?>