April 28, 2024, 07:33:04 AM

Author Topic: ENGLAND DODGE NASTY NORWAY  (Read 1815 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
ENGLAND DODGE NASTY NORWAY
« on: February 25, 2006, 02:01:24 PM »
ENGLAND DODGE NASTY NORWAY
By Matt Barlow, PA Sport Chief Football Writer

Sven-Goran Eriksson admits he side-stepped a friendly with Norway because he feared they would put the boot into his World Cup plans.

England step up their World Cup preparations on Wednesday with a friendly against Uruguay at Anfield.

The England boss has chosen three warm-up games with World Cup opponents Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago and Sweden in mind.

"Uruguay are the South American team most like Paraguay's style. They are quick with good technique. Then we play Jamaica, who are like Trinidad and Tobago."

Eriksson joked: "Then we should have chosen Norway, but they will kick us," before adding: "No, not kick us, but they will do everything to beat us.

"When Scandinavian teams play England, something happens inside and they have to beat England."

England opted for Hungary instead of Norway and their final friendly games, against the Hungarians on May 30 and Jamaica on June 3, will be at Old Trafford after confirmation that Wembley will not be ready.

But the Football Association's best-laid plans were dashed when Hungary boss Lothar Matthaus quit in December after failing to reach the World Cup finals.

Eriksson revealed: "Before choosing Hungary I phoned Lothar Matthaus and asked him if he wanted to play at Wembley.

"He said he'd love to have a friendly game against England so I told him he must do one thing and play 4-4-2 like Sweden.

"He said, 'No problem' but now he's not the manager."

England squad announced
(football365.com)

Saturday February 25 2006

Wes Brown returned to the England squad as Sven-Goran Eriksson launched his World Cup preparations.

Manchester United defender Brown has not played for his country since last summer's tour to the USA but returns to the squad to face Uruguay in a friendly on Wednesday.

United captain Gary Neville is also back after missing the last five internationals through injury.

Eriksson picked a 23-man squad with few surprises. Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher return after injury and Kieran Richardson and Darren Bent step back up to senior level after playing for the under-21 team.

Everton's Phil Neville and West Ham's Paul Konchesky drop out of Eriksson's squad. Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole, Jonathan Woodgate, Chris Kirkland, Owen Hargreaves, Kieron Dyer, Alan Smith and Michael Owen are all injured.

Eriksson confirmed he wanted to pick Woodgate for the friendly at Anfield but the former Newcastle defender was injured in Real Madrid's Champions League defeat to Arsenal on Tuesday.

The England boss said: "He's unlucky. Every time I decide to pick him, even in the past, he's been injured a few days before I announce the squad. The same has happened now.

"It's a big question mark of course. I hope he will play more regularly when he's fit because he's an extremely good football player and defender.

"But if he plays one game and misses the next, I don't know what to do because you can't change your 23 players once the tournament has started. You have to be careful."

Eriksson issued the same warning to his other injury victims. He wants proof of fitness before the squad leaves for Germany.

This means Campbell, a veteran of the last two World Cups for England, faces a serious fight for a place.

Campbell has not played since February 1 when he walked out at half-time of a Premiership game against West Ham.

Eriksson said: "I spoke to Sol some weeks ago. We had a discussion about things and he desperately wants to play at the World Cup.

"He's injured. He has an ankle problem. It's not for me to discuss what happened at Arsenal.

"I hope he will soon start to play for Arsenal on a regular basis because that's a must if he wants to play at the World Cup.

"If Sol plays regularly as Sol can play, then he will be picked for the World Cup.

"My only concern is that he's injured and not playing. It's the same with Woodgate and Dyer. If they don't play regularly that puts me in a situation because I'm responsible for the squad.

"The rules are the same for all the players. You must be physically fit."

Eriksson will start with his first-choice team against Uruguay but the players involved in the Champions League will probably not play 90 minutes.

The Swede said: "It's in my own interests as well to save them, not only for the clubs and the players.''

The England boss has chosen three warm-up games with World Cup opponents Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago and Sweden in mind.

"Uruguay are the South American team most like Paraguay's style. They are quick with good technique. Then we play Jamaica, who are like Trinidad and Tobago.''

Eriksson joked: "Then we should have chosen Norway, but they will kick us," before adding: "No, not kick us, but they will do everything to beat us.

"When Scandinavian teams play England, something happens inside and they have to beat England."

England squad for friendly against Uruguay at Anfield on Wednesday:

Robinson (Tottenham), Green (Norwich), James (Man City); Young (Charlton), Bridge (Chelsea), Terry (Chelsea), Brown (Man Utd), Ferdinand (Man Utd), King (Tottenham), G Neville (Man Utd), Carragher (Liverpool);  Lampard (Chelsea), Beckham (Real Madrid), Gerrard (Liverpool), J Cole (Chelsea), Jenas (Tottenham), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Carrick (Tottenham), Richardson (Man Utd); D Bent (Charlton), Rooney (Man Utd), Crouch (Liverpool), Defoe (Tottenham).

« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 02:04:19 PM by e-man »

TrinInfinite

Re: ENGLAND DODGE NASTY NORWAY
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 03:14:57 PM »
wow erikkson actually ask de man 2 play 4-4-2, interesting so he can see his team play against that formation bc sweden plays dat formation, ahwonder beenhakker ask iceland tuh do ???

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 03:17:09 PM »
WELL LEH WE SEE IF WE BRETHENS COULD HELP WE OUT THIS TIME?

ALLYUH KNOW HOW J.A ruff and physical; maybe they could put soem blade and buss up some men .  quick jack MAKE AH DEAL NAH? Take out Rooney!!! Take out Lampard !!!!

Promise Jamacia something if they deliver!!!!

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 10:00:21 PM »
i didmt kno dat yuh cud ask man to plaay a certain way in a friendlyu

if sweeden decide to  change formation now??

steupss eriksson i wa beat allyuh sooooo bad
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 10:27:33 PM »
The way things are going it's gotta affect the team eventually

Eriksson itching for new job
(ABC Sport)

English football manager Sven-Goran Eriksson insists he cannot hang around until after the World Cup to find himself a new job in time for next season.

The Swede, quitting as England boss when the tournament ends in July after reaching a deal with the Football Association (FA), is actively seeking a new challenge.

He was adamant he would be prepared work with an English club despite a storm of newspaper stories prying into his private life that have dogged his tenure as the England boss.

He also admitted he "couldn't care less" who replaces him in the England hot seat.

"If I want to have another football job from August, I cannot leave it until the middle of July because by then all the national teams and all clubs have a new manager," Eriksson said.

"I have had no offers. But it's not important if I live in China or Sweden or England. The most important thing is the team I have."

Eriksson revealed his intentions as he announced his squad for Wednesday's (local time) friendly with Uruguay at Liverpool's Anfield stadium, one of three matches lined up before leaving for the World Cup in Germany, which kicks off on June 9.

There were few surprises in the 23-man group, though Manchester United defender Wes Brown was recalled, having not played for England since the preseason tour to the United States.

England face Sweden, Paraguay and Trinidad and Tobago in the competition and the Uruguay match gives Eriksson a chance to test his players against South American opposition.

Leading English contenders to replace Eriksson after the World Cup include Stuart Pearce, Alan Curbishley and Sam Allardyce.

Northern Irishman Martin O'Neill and current Australian coach, Dutchman Guus Hiddink are also mooted to be in the frame.

-AFP

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 10:43:40 PM »
ah wonder if sven go come for jack millions  ;D ;D ;D

iz a lil joke i have more sense to noe wat reality iz

1]; } ?>