March 29, 2024, 12:01:16 AM

Author Topic: Howard University Thread  (Read 60018 times)

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Howard University Thread
« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2014, 09:14:25 AM »

It's been one year ----

On Tuesday, December 17, 2013. Devoted husband of Jascinta Goodlett; loving father of Rohan, Raymond (Heather), Robert (Daniele) and Ronald (Sheteka) Goodlett. He is also survived by cherished grandchildren, Keira, Briana, Julia and Elisabet; sisters, Norma, June (Clyde), Golaine (Philip) and Evenn; in-laws, Patrick (Hyacinth), Madge (Peter), John (Joan), Sonia (Curtis) and Howard (Joan); other relatives and many friends. 

http://www.cetla.howard.edu/featured_teacher/archive/goodlett.html

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2014, 10:42:31 AM »
Yes, indeed. I remembered Dr. Goodlett. Very approachable man. I remembered him and Keith Mitchell(PM of Grenada), hanging out on a Friday evenings on the yard in front HU library talking intense Caribbean affairs and politics with the students.RIP!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2015, 07:53:48 PM »
Like I said in another post Philip Gyau should be in TT to do some recruiting. This week or next.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »
Howard University hunts for local football talent this week.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

Howard University will hold screening sessions in this country from this Wednesday with the intention of offering scholarship to local talented footballers.

The initiative is one shared between Howard University and the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association from which technical adviser Muhammad Isa will work along with the American University. Phillip Gyau, the head coach of the Howard University Soccer team will be here to oversee the sessions.

Gyau is a former US National Team forward and also a former captain and head coach of the US Beach Soccer team.  He  attended Howard University where he played on the men’s soccer team from 1982 to 1985. He was appointed head coach of Howard last year.

The first session is scheduled for this Wednesday, February 4th from 3pm at St Mary’s College Grounds, Serpentine Road. It is opened for all players under 20 who are advised to show up to the sessions at least thirty minutes in advance.

The action shifts to South, at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium on Sunday from 9am.

The final selectees will then play a match against the National Under 17 Men’s Team from 5pm on Tuesday at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

“This is an initiative the TTFA is really looking forward to and very happy to be part of,” Isa said.

“It allows us to provide that medium for our upcoming talented players to have that opportunity to go on to excel in the game at a top university such as Howard as well as further their academic qualifications.

Ian Bain will also work along with us at the St Mary’s screening and this is all part of our efforts to work with past national players in ventures such as this.

We intend to make this one of many other similar initiatives where we can offer such opportunities to both male and female players in Trinidad and Tobago,” Isa added.

Howard University has a rich history in US Soccer and several Trinidad and Tobago players have graduated and played there. Former national team goalkeeper and technical director Lincoln coached Howard University from 1970 to 1980 and led them to two NCAA Division 1 Championships in 1971 and 1974, becoming the first African-American to win a NCAA title.

Ex-Senior team goalkeeper Shaka Hislop also attended Howard between 1986 and 1991.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2015, 08:55:36 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ULKhvuV2Ht0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ULKhvuV2Ht0</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2015, 09:58:52 PM »
Thanks to the  Phillips !! Much respect to them for this ..what else can I say ..absolutely fantastic!

All dem years Tucker dey..hm! only Shaka de man bring..

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2015, 09:48:13 AM »
Thanks to the  Phillips !! Much respect to them for this ..what else can I say ..absolutely fantastic!

All dem years Tucker dey..hm! only Shaka de man bring..

He brought Simmonds.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2015, 10:36:35 AM »
Good stuff.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2015, 05:10:20 PM »
Howard head coach impressed with T&T talent.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

Phillip Gyau, head coach of Howard University Soccer Team says he was impressed with the high turn out of players at the first day of the Combine held at St Mary’s College Grounds in Port of Spain on Wednesday.

Gyau is here on a scouting mission, through a collaboration with the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association and the Howard Alumni in Trinidad, and he expects to acquire at least four players on full scholarships.

Close to 200 players showed up at the venue on Tuesday, causing Gyau to schedule further sessions at WASA Grounds in the East on Thursday (today) and also at the Ato Boldon Stadium and Manny Ramjohn Stadium next week.

“I’m here to do a combine to get some Trinidad and Tobago national team players or schoolboy players. I know Sheldon Phillips who I grew up with and I’ve also known Lincoln and we felt it would be a perfect link,” Gyau told TTFA Media.

“Trinidad and Howard has a rich history because back in the 70s, ’71 and ’74 Howard won the national title and it was significantly Trinidadian heavy. So when I first got the job, I just decided that this would be a place that I would come to get my talent.

“It’s amazing with the support and all the talent I’ve seen since I have been here. I saw the National Under 20 team play, they’re an excellent team and I also saw some of the St Mary’s boys play and with their grades, it looks good,” Gyau said.

On exactly what he’s looking for, Gyau said the player must also have an academic background.

“Right now I’m looking for guys with the academic background and they will get the first preference. If I give you a scholarship it’s for four years, so you will come to school, play, graduate and come back in and do something big.

You’ve got to have the SATs, especially at Howard University where you need like 1170 on the SAT for the Legacy scholarship, then Capstone where you need 1300 and 1400-1600 for the Presidential scholarship with the Math and critical reading IF you fall in between those I can offer you a scholarship and bring you to Howard University,” he explained.

“There will be at least three or four players we can take back and as soon as the combine is done, I’ll know who I want and I’ll tell them,” Gyau concluded.

Video: - Phillip Gyau - Howard University head coach in Trinidad on Scouting Mission

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 15, 2015, 12:06:55 AM »
So who are the players that got scholarship? What was the outcome of the match between the prospects and the U17 team?

All   allyuh want to do is show off on de site bout allyuh went big university ...allyuh rel like ting..me eh go no big university ..allyuh need me here so allyuh could show off on.

I went de University of Woodford Square and listen to plenty speeches and had  debates with plenty bright people...allyuh feel allyuh bright.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 15, 2015, 08:59:16 AM »
Yep, it would be nice to know the results of his trip down here. But is carnival. When Kieth Tucker came to look at Simmonds, it was around Carnival time and he played in Burookeets on Monday. So Philip might be playing in Tribe. Some pleasure with business. ;D

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2015, 06:43:54 AM »
Phillip came back on the Wednesday before Carnival.  He is hoping to get two or three players.  He saw other good players, but they did not have the grades.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »
Phillip came back on the Wednesday before Carnival.  He is hoping to get two or three players.  He saw other good players, but they did not have the grades.

Aye, Trev. I was kicksin  thanks for the info.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »

Those grades are tough to come by for a baller. School Grades, CXC results, and ACT or SAT.

T&T school system needs to do away with O'level and A'levels and come up with a system like US system to make it easier for our students to get into college in the US.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »
Those grades are tough to come by for a baller. School Grades, CXC results, and ACT or SAT.

T&T school system needs to do away with O'level and A'levels and come up with a system like US system to make it easier for our students to get into college in the US.

Really?  Hundreds of Trini students matriculate into US colleges every year but all of a sudden it too hard, we need to change to make it easier for footballers?  You not serious.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 22, 2015, 05:17:07 PM »

Really?  Hundreds of Trini students matriculate into US colleges every year but all of a sudden it too hard, we need to change to make it easier for footballers?  You not serious.

I did not say only for footballers. I generally believe that more is required of an International than a domestic student (I understand the reason behind it). I think though that International should follow the same academic admissions requirements as a domestic student. A GPA and SAT/ACT score.

Any which way, I still believe we need to do away with that O'levels system.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 22, 2015, 08:34:54 PM »
I didn't know that America was the only place that trini students were looking to go for further education. What about the hundreds of trinis who have graced the hall of universities such as Cambridge, Oxford, Lse etc. Since when have trinis not been good enough. Trinbagonians have distinguished themselves academically all over the world. What we have here is a symptom of laziness where the "baller" believes that football and by extension SSFL is the be all and end all of life so he/she neglects their schoolwork. With the right guidance and tutoring, they could more than make the grades to gain good scholarships.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 22, 2015, 11:49:35 PM »
 :frustrated:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2015, 06:40:20 AM »

I did not say only for footballers. I generally believe that more is required of an International than a domestic student (I understand the reason behind it). I think though that International should follow the same academic admissions requirements as a domestic student. A GPA and SAT/ACT score.

Any which way, I still believe we need to do away with that O'levels system.

Any HS guidance officer or college admissions officer could easily translate the grades of an international student to compare them to the grades of American students.  The British educational system is used in many former Commonwealth countries all around the world, in addition to which Europe uses its own system.  Collectively thousands of foreign students matriculate into US educational institutions (who are actively recruiting them... meaning they're removing as many obstacles as possible to admit them), all of these foreign students somehow meet with the requirements and successfully fulfill their educational obligations.  Somehow you'd have us believe that the fault lies with the requirements and process, rather than with the few Trini students who can't get the grades?

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2015, 11:14:38 AM »
Who has trouble getting into a US University? It's easy enough.

The "requirements" of international students are "higher" than that of a domestic student. You have to show more academic qualification than that of a graduating High School Senior.

Be that as it may, I think T&T needs to over-haul the education system, whether students want to attend college in the US or (Congo) UK, or where ever. Example I think a graduating High School age of 18-19 is a good thing.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2015, 12:23:41 PM »
Who has trouble getting into a US University? It's easy enough.

Alright... so your complaint is what?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #171 on: February 26, 2015, 02:50:22 AM »
Howard head coach wants to return to Trinidad.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

Howard University head coach Phillip Gyau is keen on making annual visits to this country in search of young footballers hopeful of joining Howard’s football programme.

Gyau visited these shores earlier this month for a players combine in conjunction with the T&T Football Association (TTFA) during which time he saw some150 players with the hope of offering at least five scholarships to talented players. He admitted though that a lack of satisfactory SAT scores proved to be a challenge.

“I was very pleased with the support and the turnout. This shows that the players want to go to school and play. They need to know that without academics their opportunities will be limited,” Gyau said.

“But I was happy with what I saw from some of the players and I decided that Trinidad was one of the places I would visit to try and find players because of the history between Howard and T&T especially in the early 70s. I will make this visit an annual event.”

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 01, 2015, 03:16:47 PM »
Ok, so the boys that were selected, according to him maybe up to 5, ...  were?:
He said we would know right away.
Deeks, Tallman ... news please.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2015, 05:56:01 PM »
Ok, so the boys that were selected, according to him maybe up to 5, ...  were?:
He said we would know right away.
Deeks, Tallman ... news please.

I eh hear nothing yet.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
On this episode of The Journey, President Wayne A. I. Frederick is in conversation with two world-famous football (soccer) professionals — Dwight Yorke and Howard alum Shaka Hislop — both from Trinidad and Tobago.  They discuss their triumphs and challenges in professional sports as well as their road to careers in broadcasting.
http://www.whur.com/podcasts/the-journey-an-impact-through-athletics-dwight-yorke-and-shaka-hislop/
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 16, 2015, 05:32:57 PM »

Congrats Brent Leiba (HU Women's soccer coach)
Coach of the Year

http://hubison.com/news/2015/4/16/GEN_0416155405.aspx

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 15, 2015, 08:37:47 PM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2015, 01:16:00 AM »
RIP. Not every life is honored on the pages of The Washington Post.

The week before last, I was at Borussia twice: once for an extended stadium tour and the other some days later for the match versus Hertha. During the tour, in the dressing room, the guide played a few video clips. During one of the clips there's a full screen that settles on a still of Gyau's shirt.

Condolences!

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2015, 05:50:49 PM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 30, 2015, 04:54:04 AM »
WATCH: Xavier Rajpaul’s goal for Howard University vs UMBC makes No. 2 on ESPN’S SportCcenter Top 10.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KlXXmcTVB_E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KlXXmcTVB_E</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>