June 15, 2024, 08:46:54 PM

Author Topic: Why the double standard?  (Read 1822 times)

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Why the double standard?
« on: February 21, 2006, 11:18:20 PM »
It always seems odd that the media outlets, particularly in Europe always seem to harp on a footballer's nationality every four years.

In 1998 it was Jamaica and there four English born players.  This year it is Trindad and our recruitment of players with T&T parentage.

For years European national teams have been granting citizenships to stand outs in there domestic league. Ask Poland, Germany, England, Sweden and the Netherlands to name a few. Every World Cup it is interesting to see a player obviously not of European decent running on the field wearing national  colours not of his birth.

The situation is particularly acute in the US. They fast track citizenship like it is a fire sale at Walmart.

My question is why is a big deal that  T&T is recruiting players who were born overseas? Jamaican and Trinidadians migrated to the UK in the 1950's and the trend shows no sign of stopping. There will be generations of players long after we leave our existence who will have T&T blood flowing through their veins. If we go after them to form part of team so be it. The situations has been this way for years now and it is time for a reversal.

Marc
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline nutmegthruyuhleg

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
    • World Cup 2010
Re: Why the double standard?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 11:26:08 PM »
Well said man.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 11:28:55 PM »
An interesting post. I think the answer can be related in terms of politics and sociology. With increased emigration and diversity in major cities of the world, things like "nationality" and "culture" are what people tend to use to define themselves and give themselves an identity in the midst of the mosaic. I think this media attention regarding players' nationalities is a display of how insecure some people can be, they are always looking to put somebody in place by wanting to know where they are from and thus associating them with whatever preconceptions they have about that place in their mind. People are largely not ready to accept that people these days can look like they are from somewhere but be from anywhere. Thus, they have to add "that little extra" to say well "this person wasn't born there BUT...". It is a stupid tendency that I hope fades away.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 11:38:37 PM »
Half of France's team was from the African continent !
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 12:08:31 AM »

....But grew up in France

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 04:03:04 AM »
I believe we should only recruit foreign born players who will and can still play for us in 2010 and not look for quick fix for the 2006 world cup. So far we on the right track should we get this list, Samuel, Shakes, Boucaud, Birchall, Zamora and Hoyte fall under this category.

Every country does this... so I dont see a problem. I agree Marc.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 04:05:28 AM by Flex »

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 06:39:23 AM »
Every country does it, true.

Look at Ireland’s team, usually around half of their team are born in England and don’t sound like they have ever been to Ireland. Owen Hargreaves first visit to England was to train with the England team.

But with all the Irish players and with Owen, they all consider themselves to be Irish, English etc and surely that is the most important thing?

As a football fan I want my team to have the same passion that I do and as long as they have that passion, I care not if they are born outside of England.

Incidentally, did you notice that yesterdays game between Arsenal and Real, Arsenal had no English players yet Real started with two?

Funny old game.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 08:24:05 AM »

....But grew up in France

Good point most of those players who play for France are from the Caribbean and Africa but have been there since very young (3--7 yrs old) or born there. Its the same with Holland, most of the Surinames were born in Holland. This is alot different that taking players at 20+ yrs old. Then again it is now standard so move on.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 09:15:59 AM »
I think that the European media just like to point it out as a way of saying that the player is a product of their system, yes he's playing for T&T but he's from England or something to that effect. Look at Germany, Kevin Kuranyi, Brazil, Miroslav Klose and Lucas Podolksi, Polish, Gerald Asamoah, Ghana and at one point Lincoln from Brazil was being approached. Don't even talk about Holland and Portugal are always littered with Brazilians and players from former colonies, Belgium too.

1]; } ?>