July 27, 2024, 05:11:50 AM

Author Topic: Darrel Brown (PB 9.99) & former 100m WJR Holder Aug 2003 to June 2014 @10.01  (Read 126350 times)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Re: Darrel Brown
« Reply #180 on: December 31, 2008, 01:00:45 PM »
I agree but remember he was hurt and "playing hurt" until he knew he could not go anymore
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 01, 2009, 08:21:03 AM »
Ato micheal johnson could have been a good 100 meter runner jusbless does have a point .... I remember when you shot down the idea of bolt running the 100 meter saying he was to tall ;)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 01, 2009, 12:25:04 PM »
MJ's best time all time was 10.09 with a 2.0 wind behind it.  Nothing about Michael's ability indicated 100m prowess. Show me where I shut down the idea of Bolt from the 100 because he was too tall....I thought he was too tall to be running 9.6 but his 100m credentials were not ever in doubt he did run 10.0 before he was 22
BORN TO DO IT

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 01, 2009, 08:23:29 PM »
Ato is it true that speed matures at full three quarters around a bend any faster control is lost.
Secondly 400m runners do they not concentrate on stride frequency.
The attributes that make stride frequency a good asset appear to be the ingredients of good turn running.
Core strength. Control. Stride tracking and stride recovery.

Still want this to continue as a Darrel brown thread ? ..just wondering ...

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 01, 2009, 08:46:56 PM »
MJ's best time all time was 10.09 with a 2.0 wind behind it.  Nothing about Michael's ability indicated 100m prowess. Show me where I shut down the idea of Bolt from the 100 because he was too tall....I thought he was too tall to be running 9.6 but his 100m credentials were not ever in doubt he did run 10.0 before he was 22

how much races did johnson run
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2009, 10:39:14 PM »
Enough to know it was only cut arse to get at 100....
BORN TO DO IT

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 02, 2009, 05:33:16 AM »
Of the top 5 200 meters time of all times , Usain Bolt , Micheal Johnson , Xavier Carter , Wallace Spearmon and Tyson Gay . Gay is the only 100m sprinter on that list .

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2009, 09:47:27 AM »

Ato he ran that race in 1994 come on now and that time he had a 200 meter PB of 19.79  he was a sub 20 runner  ... he could have been a force had he applied himself to the 100 in a no name meet he ran  10.09 in  Knoxville, Tennessee ... Easy now ato that bronze could/might /may  have been a 4th place in atlanta
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 03:05:16 PM by Trini _2010 »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2009, 01:04:15 PM »

Ato he ran that race in 1994 come on now and that time he had a 200 meter PB of 19.79  he was a sub 20 runner  ... he could have been a force had he applied himself to the 100 a  ame meet in meet he ran  10.09 in  Knoxville, Tennessee ... Easy now ato that bronze could/might /may  have been a 4th place in atlanta
I am sure(hope) Ato is joking. One of the main reasons given by both Clyde Hart and MJ, for not pursuing the 100m was because his body could never handle the high intensity training that came along with it. Anyone following Mj knew that almost anytime he took a serious look at the 'short stuff' he almost always ended up injured. He even managed to  strain his quad at the end of that majestic '96 run in Atlanta.

I will even go out on a limb and say that if MJ wasn't entered in to the 100m in '96 he comes no worse than 4th. He was anything but a 10.09 sprinter during the ATL. games. He ran 10.12 around the bend that night in relatively still conditions, beating two superior 100m men off the curve. My stats tell me he was game for atleast 9.95 in a straight 100m that night.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 02, 2009, 03:03:08 PM »
Of the top 5 200 meters time of all times , Usain Bolt , Micheal Johnson , Xavier Carter , Wallace Spearmon and Tyson Gay . Gay is the only 100m sprinter on that list .

Bolt isn't a 100m sprinter? 

weren't both X-man and wally finalists in the 100 at the US trials? 

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2009, 03:18:27 PM »

Ato he ran that race in 1994 come on now and that time he had a 200 meter PB of 19.79  he was a sub 20 runner  ... he could have been a force had he applied himself to the 100 in a no name meet he ran  10.09 in  Knoxville, Tennessee ... Easy now ato that bronze could/might /may  have been a 4th place in atlanta

You have to be joking right? Michael johnson at 100m beating Ato.....   :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl: not even on all the stuff he was on in Atlanta could he have beat Ato.

There is a big big big difference in going to 100m.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2009, 03:30:59 PM »

Ato he ran that race in 1994 come on now and that time he had a 200 meter PB of 19.79  he was a sub 20 runner  ... he could have been a force had he applied himself to the 100 a  ame meet in meet he ran  10.09 in  Knoxville, Tennessee ... Easy now ato that bronze could/might /may  have been a 4th place in atlanta
I am sure(hope) Ato is joking. One of the main reasons given by both Clyde Hart and MJ, for not pursuing the 100m was because his body could never handle the high intensity training that came along with it. Anyone following Mj knew that almost anytime he took a serious look at the 'short stuff' he almost always ended up injured. He even managed to  strain his quad at the end of that majestic '96 run in Atlanta.

I will even go out on a limb and say that if MJ wasn't entered in to the 100m in '96 he comes no worse than 4th. He was anything but a 10.09 sprinter during the ATL. games. He ran 10.12 around the bend that night in relatively still conditions, beating two superior 100m men off the curve. My stats tell me he was game for atleast 9.95 in a straight 100m that night.

One reason for beating two world class psrinters off the curve is more psychology than physical. You all think this is just running as fast as you can, there is strategy involved here. MJ knows (as does everyone else) that he has the staying power for the final 40m, therefore he can attack the curve harder than the 100m runner would. Just as in the 100m MJ would be smoked in the blocks. By the time he catch up Ato would be ripping off his Oakleys and pulling off his top.

Different strategies for different races.

I think we forgetting this, it gives a very good indication MJ would not have survived in the 100m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfAeCluBBF8
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:51:20 PM by elan »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2009, 06:11:22 PM »
Glad someone pointed out that for 100m sprinters running a 200m the first 100m is not run all out so the who beats who off the curve thing is irrelevant....glad I didn't have to say it. Look up my youtube tutorial if you doubt.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2009, 09:39:56 PM »

One reason for beating two world class psrinters off the curve is more psychology than physical. You all think this is just running as fast as you can, there is strategy involved here. MJ knows (as does everyone else) that he has the staying power for the final 40m, therefore he can attack the curve harder than the 100m runner would. Just as in the 100m MJ would be smoked in the blocks. By the time he catch up Ato would be ripping off his Oakleys and pulling off his top.

I think we forgetting this, it gives a very good indication MJ would not have survived in the 100m.

No doubt and you didn't say anything not already known, but the very same thing Ato talks about in that video(centrifugal forces) is the reason why I say MJ was good for 9.95 in ATL. Even if you wanted to go all out on a curve the laws of physics will prevent you from reaching the speeds you will achieve on a straightaway. Bolt and Tyson are two men that run the curve in a very aggressive style like MJ and neither man has been able to come within more than 0.15 of their 100m PR on the curve.

P.S. MJ could have run that curve in 10.2x and still win. He would have just ran FF and Ato to F#@% down ;)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2009, 10:22:59 PM »
OK time to inject a little something in to some of these HUGE assumptions being made.... because this is a BIG one, and you saying it's so doesn't make it so in this case when you KNOW the event.

Let's look at 1996. Michael Johnson v Frankie.

Frankie and MJ ran 3 200m races head to head. MJ won ONE, in Atlanta. You know what was the difference in Oslo and Berlin in 1996? Frankie came off ahead. Not even way ahead, but ahead.This "he would ah run them down" is pure conjecture, and not speaking for me in the running down, cuz as a college senior he probably would have, but for Frankie here - NO.  The evidence in 1996 when put in that situation says otherwise. The only time he beat Frankie is when he led off the turn. Did he run down Donovan in the 150m WFM race IN Toronto?

The problem with using anyone's very best time at 200m is likely it was a ONE TIME thing.  This is why Gay is still more of a threat than people think. His top 4 or 5 200m avg. times are as good as anyone's, even Bolt.  Dix, Spearmon and the others have one 19.6 which they have not been able to duplicate at all.  A better gauge of someone's day to day race is their #2 time no their #1. Across the board, for evey athlete, every event.  That brings MJ back to a very normal sounding 19.66 on the 2nd fastest track ever, not 19.32 (same track). Off that Atlanta track and he is 19.7.  Assuming MJ had 9.9 speed is just that - an assumption. He ran 10.12 round the turn on a lightning fast track in the race of his life.  How that math = 9.95 for 100m automatically is a mystery to me. Perhaps its because sub ten is seen as easy now. Jeremy Wariner thinks sub 20 is easy too, and he is RIGHT at MJ's PR at 400m....why can't he do it? Because he is not built for the event....MJ is not built for 100m which is why 1. He never did it and 2. He got hurt anytime he sprinted. This "he would have if he focused on it" is rubbish. If he could he would have.  He didnt run 100s for fun, he did it for what the 100 stood for and when that appeared not to be the possible, he went back to his natural event.  Maybe me getting MJ on tape saying this might end this....oh and what does this have to do with the topic again, I forget?

Back to the debate....
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 10:34:40 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 02, 2009, 11:27:23 PM »
Ato where you ever run, you know what you talking about. ;D

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 02, 2009, 11:48:42 PM »
OK time to inject a little something in to some of these HUGE assumptions being made.... because this is a BIG one, and you saying it's so doesn't make it so in this case when you KNOW the event.

Let's look at 1996. Michael Johnson v Frankie.

Frankie and MJ ran 3 200m races head to head. MJ won ONE, in Atlanta. You know what was the difference in Oslo and Berlin in 1996? Frankie came off ahead. Not even way ahead, but ahead.This "he would ah run them down" is pure conjecture, and not speaking for me in the running down, cuz as a college senior he probably would have, but for Frankie here - NO.  The evidence in 1996 when put in that situation says otherwise. The only time he beat Frankie is when he led off the turn. Did he run down Donovan in the 150m WFM race IN Toronto?

The problem with using anyone's very best time at 200m is likely it was a ONE TIME thing.  This is why Gay is still more of a threat than people think. His top 4 or 5 200m avg. times are as good as anyone's, even Bolt.  Dix, Spearmon and the others have one 19.6 which they have not been able to duplicate at all.  A better gauge of someone's day to day race is their #2 time no their #1. Across the board, for evey athlete, every event.  That brings MJ back to a very normal sounding 19.66 on the 2nd fastest track ever, not 19.32 (same track). Off that Atlanta track and he is 19.7.  Assuming MJ had 9.9 speed is just that - an assumption. He ran 10.12 round the turn on a lightning fast track in the race of his life.  How that math = 9.95 for 100m automatically is a mystery to me. Perhaps its because sub ten is seen as easy now. Jeremy Wariner thinks sub 20 is easy too, and he is RIGHT at MJ's PR at 400m....why can't he do it? Because he is not built for the event....MJ is not built for 100m which is why 1. He never did it and 2. He got hurt anytime he sprinted. This "he would have if he focused on it" is rubbish. If he could he would have.  He didnt run 100s for fun, he did it for what the 100 stood for and when that appeared not to be the possible, he went back to his natural event.  Maybe me getting MJ on tape saying this might end this....oh and what does this have to do with the topic again, I forget?

Back to the debate....

LOL...i believe the original topic of the thread was lost after the first 5 posts. :)

What I should have said form the very beginning is that MJ wasn't a 10.09 runner in ATL. I don't support Trini2010 argument that he might have possibly beat Ato in the 100m, but what that bend showed me is that if his body could have tolerated the intensity of work to be a 100m sprinter, he would have been a damn good one.  The 9.95 time is not anything set in stone, but a time I believed he could have run if he was to run a 100m dash during the olympics, because all my stats tell me its impossible to run within 0.03s of your 100m PR on the curve.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 05, 2009, 01:44:27 PM »
Spoke to Asafa here in JA yesterday (after telling all the media outlets I expect him to be very dangerous this year) and good news he informs me that Darrel Brown is training well and WILL be a GO this year.

Relay is shaping up to be Sorrillo, Brown, Burns, Thompson Callender and Armstrong.

Not a bad side to pick from.....
BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 05, 2009, 03:20:17 PM »
Yeah,

I saw the interview at Champs.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 06, 2009, 09:27:59 PM »
Spoke to Asafa here in JA yesterday (after telling all the media outlets I expect him to be very dangerous this year) and good news he informs me that Darrel Brown is training well and WILL be a GO this year.

Relay is shaping up to be Sorrillo, Brown, Burns, Thompson Callender and Armstrong.

Good to hear. Now all he has to do is stay healthy. Looks like we might have a first at trials this year. It will be sub-10 or stay home. :o

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2009, 12:49:06 AM »

Where Bledman :rotfl:

Saw him do 10.43 at Tobago Falcon Games over the weekend for 3rd. Aziz Zakari won in 10.36 beating Xavier Browne in 10.39. Bledman needs to get serious...still looks and runs the same as he did in 2005

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 09, 2009, 02:27:14 PM »
Bledman never runs 200's either ...I'm worried bout that youth

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 10, 2009, 09:32:05 PM »

No doubt and you didn't say anything not already known, but the very same thing Ato talks about in that video(centrifugal forces) is the reason why I say MJ was good for 9.95 in ATL. Even if you wanted to go all out on a curve the laws of physics will prevent you from reaching the speeds you will achieve on a straightaway. Bolt and Tyson are two men that run the curve in a very aggressive style like MJ and neither man has been able to come within more than 0.15 of their 100m PR on the curve.

P.S. MJ could have run that curve in 10.2x and still win. He would have just ran FF and Ato to F#@% down ;)

So you saying in the 100m, MJ 1st 7-10 steps was/would have been equal to Atos'? I think not, the race would have been over by the time he caught up.

Plus my personal belief is that MJ did not do any of that in ATL by himself. To this day I am eternally grateful that Ato did not switch nationally in competing. He avoided all the temptation.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2009, 05:53:02 PM »

So you saying in the 100m, MJ 1st 7-10 steps was/would have been equal to Atos'? I think not, the race would have been over by the time he caught up.

Plus my personal belief is that MJ did not do any of that in ATL by himself. To this day I am eternally grateful that Ato did not switch nationally in competing. He avoided all the temptation.

I don't see where I implied such. ???

Regardless of how you believe MJ achieved his success,here are the facts on MJ and I think it will be fool hardy to believe his raw speed wasn't through the roof in ATL. The year before he did the same double in 19.79/43.39. In 1996 in was 19.32/43.49. So his endurance is about the same, but his 200m times drops almost half a second. What does that say? Furthermore splits from that race shows his flying 100m form 40m-140m that race was 8.76 seconds. I could count on one hand the men in history that could run a flying 100m that fast. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, MJ's raw speed was through the roof in Atlanta. Put him in a 100m race in Atlanta and he breaks 10-flat.

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Darrel Brown
« Reply #204 on: May 20, 2009, 09:09:34 AM »
Can anyone give me any news on when he will be opeinig his season because I find it strange that all his training partners are running at the reebok grand prix and he is not listed to compete. Can we please get some update on him.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 21, 2009, 02:15:11 AM »
Brown aiming for strong return at 'Nationals'
Kern De Freitas
Thursday, May 21st 2009

National sprinter Darrel Brown is raring to shake off his injury woes and get back on track for the upcoming National Track Open Championships.

According to his manager Adrian Laidlaw, Brown is currently "on schedule" for his comeback, after surgery last year on a hamstring tear suffered at the Beijing Olympic Games in August.

"Darrel is on schedule for where coach (Stephen) Francis would like him to be," Laidlaw told the Express yesterday." The primary goal of coach Francis and myself is to prepare him for two meets. Those are the senior champs in Trinidad and the World Championships in Berlin. Everything outside of those two meets is secondary."

Brown represented Trinidad and Tobago last year at the Olympics, but was not able to run in the relay event-in which a quartet led by Richard Thompson won silver-after sustaining a Grade II hamstring tear.

Laidlaw revealed that the renowned Jamaican coach, Francis, is currently helping Brown prepare for those two major races from July 19-21 (National Track and Field Open Championships) and in August (World Championships). Francis is also coach for former World 100 metre record holder Asafa Powell and Olympic medallist Sherone Simpson.

His aim is for a strong performance by Brown at the local meet, described by the National Association of Athletic Administrations (NAAA) as "mandatory" for athletes hoping to compete at the 'Worlds'.

"Our thinking right now is lets cross the first bridge, which is have him perform, and perform well at the championships," Laidlaw revealed.

Laidlaw indicated, however, that Brown is ready and very willing to jump into competitive action.

"He's thrilled. He can't wait to go, but he's also enjoying the process. Coach Francis says 'here are the targets, here is where I'd like you to be'. So he's (Darrel) on course."

The World Junior 100 metres record holder has been plagued by injury problems in the past, but Laidlaw believes that should not be a deterrent to the experienced sprinter.

"One of the good things is that Darrel, having been in track and field for so long, realises that freak accidents happen," he pointed out. That experience, Brown's manager feels, will help him to prepare mentally, despite his previous disappointments.

"That's the thing about sprinters," he added. "They like to compete. They want to be out there."

Laidlaw also stated that he would like to see Brown win "every race he runs", but the primary goal is to have the sprinter "execute the coach's plan".

"The important thing is once you execute what you're supposed to do," he said. "I'm quite optimistic that once he does that, he will be in the top three."

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2009, 01:23:04 PM »
I hope and pray, I hope and pray...... :praying:

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 25, 2009, 04:03:19 PM »
I have a feeling that MVP athletes will be terrors at Trials.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 28, 2009, 06:04:58 PM »
I have a feeling MVP athletes will continue the always-injured trend
BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 29, 2009, 10:07:13 AM »
I have a feeling MVP athletes will continue the always-injured trend

Possum is being played....