April 26, 2024, 12:35:34 AM

Author Topic: Gays Thread.  (Read 245437 times)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ugandan President Museveni Signs bill criminalising homosexuality
« Reply #1650 on: March 26, 2014, 04:14:23 PM »
White people are responsible  for all the evils perpetrated on humanity  . .. slavery ., apartheid , genocide and here they are telling  Uganda and places like   Russia to protect the faggots .
There is an agenda at work and that is to corrupt all the nations of the world but this couldn't happen until the chosen people had a president who they could control .
 All major religions frowned  upon the faggot lifestyle but now it is forced upon the   masses .
 I  read on this here forum where teachers can be sanctioned    for not making their classrooms faggot friendly in spite of the fact that it clashes with their moral and spiritual beliefs
 This is being pushed by those who controls the media , finances , law and Hollywood

Kindly refrain from fascist comments.

First warning.

TY..
Some one mentioned that I should have used less inflammatory terms like  colonials and Europeans but at the end of the day ,Europeans and colonials are still whites ,
 There is no need for a second warning , if you have to  kick me out of here then so be it but I will say this and that is the level on discourse here is more  of a higher and educated quality  .
 I do not like to be censored and I prefer to say what I feel without being offensive and as a moderator , I  guess you have to do what you have to do

My point about your first sentence here is that you are mis-attributing the problem here, and the result is that it has a large potential to come across as racist. There's an important distinction that you're not making - they didn't commit these crimes because they were white - the colour of their skin was incidental, unless you're arguing that their skin colour had some part to play?

Offline Ramgoat

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: March 26, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »
White people are responsible  for all the evils perpetrated on humanity  . .. slavery ., apartheid , genocide and here they are telling  Uganda and places like   Russia to protect the faggots .
There is an agenda at work and that is to corrupt all the nations of the world but this couldn't happen until the chosen people had a president who they could control .
 All major religions frowned  upon the faggot lifestyle but now it is forced upon the   masses .
 I  read on this here forum where teachers can be sanctioned    for not making their classrooms faggot friendly in spite of the fact that it clashes with their moral and spiritual beliefs
 This is being pushed by those who controls the media , finances , law and Hollywood

First warning.

TY..
Some one mentioned that I should have used less inflammatory terms like  colonials and Europeans but at the end of the day ,Europeans and colonials are still whites ,
 There is no need for a second warning , if you have to  kick me out of here then so be it but I will say this and that is the level on discourse here is more  of a higher and educated quality  .
 I do not like to be censored and I prefer to say what I feel without being offensive and as a moderator , I  guess you have to do what you have to do

My point about your first sentence here is that you are mis-attributing the problem here, and the result is that it has a large potential to come across as racist. There's an important distinction that you're not making - they didn't commit these crimes because they were white - the colour of their skin was incidental, unless you're arguing that their skin colour had some part to play?
mis attributing ?, me racist? ,   no  I stated exactly what I meant but first let me address the racist part  . My definition of racism is   " prejudice with power "  and that  is when one has the power to deny one a promotion or a raise on account of the  fact that the victim is melanin challenged .
 I don't have that power and therefore I cannot be a racist  .
 You mentioned the point that Persians  Africans and   Semites were also involved in slavery but that is a false equivalency as their  involvement was minuscule when  compared with western Europe  .
 I will also say this also and that is skin  color does come into play as they justify the degrading  and enslavement of people who are not like them especially black people  as doing gods work .
 They interpreted the  bible and Torah to  justify the enslavement if Black  people, who they say are the  descendants of Ham ... fetchers of water and Hewers of wood  for them.
 i am choosing my words carefully and therefore , I will not elaborate further as the sword of Damocles  is hanging over  my head with the banning threat
 I will however reiterate that They are in no position to lecture Uganda and all of Africa for that matter ,  , The Caribbean,..    India   Russia ,  the Arab  world to be accepting towards Gays

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:05:47 PM by Ramgoat »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: March 26, 2014, 09:09:31 PM »
Racist? It was white people who outlawed and demonized homosexuality. Now they have deemed it acceptable and worthy and the entire world needs to as well? White people deem diamonds valuable so Africans need to lose limbs to ensure that women have engagement rings...Let's do a tally of the damage done to this planet by white people and I bet you they outnumber any other race.

By white I don't mean the average white person. I'm talking about white establishment.

You'll find no argument against that from me, my argument was against accusing white people for being responsible for all the evils. But be under no illusions - it's not 'cause we were white, it's because the most powerful nations in the world were in Europe, where the population was overwhelmingly white. Thus the second issue is false-attribution - The Chinese in their early history basically ethnically cleansed what is now Southern China, slavery was a staple of nearly every society across the world regardless of race. Apartheid was both supported and opposed by white people, it's harsh to blame "white people" (whatever that means - are Russians as white as Britons? Are White Trini's as white as Americans?) for these ills, especially given that white people showed a propensity for inflicting these ills on each other as well.

I see today you're wearing your imperial hat.

You do understand how the term "white people" entered the lexicon, don't you? You do understand why "black people" have been "black people", don't you? You do understand the lexical and experiential polarities, don't you?

*Sigh*, I appreciate "white people" forms a colonial dichotomy in opposition to the "black people". Seriously I get that. That is irrelevant to my point -  were it that black people inhabited Europe whilst white people inhabited Africa, the dichotomy would be reversed. The root cause of this evil is not the colour of their skin or the levels of skin pigmentation. You also know this to be true I hope - the lightness of a person's skin does not have any bearing on their morals. The root cause was the power imbalance and inequity, coupled with cultural and religious (if you consider them different) norms that had no objection to slavery, no objection to cruel treatment of those who did not follow their religion, or that 'other' group safely separated from the conception of self.

It was capitalism, dear. Slavery, colonialism, mass exploitation, all had its genesis in the capitalist system.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: March 26, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »

First warning.

TY..

But wasnt their "whiteness" later used as a justification for the subjugation of Blacks? White superiority, white privilege, colourism in the West Indies and other former colonies. Please, let us try to be candid here.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: March 27, 2014, 01:27:49 AM »

First warning.

TY..

mis attributing ?, me racist? ,   no  I stated exactly what I meant but first let me address the racist part  . My definition of racism is   " prejudice with power "  and that  is when one has the power to deny one a promotion or a raise on account of the  fact that the victim is melanin challenged .
 I don't have that power and therefore I cannot be a racist  .
 You mentioned the point that Persians  Africans and   Semites were also involved in slavery but that is a false equivalency as their  involvement was minuscule when  compared with western Europe  .
 I will also say this also and that is skin  color does come into play as they justify the degrading  and enslavement of people who are not like them especially black people  as doing gods work .
 They interpreted the  bible and Torah to  justify the enslavement if Black  people, who they say are the  descendants of Ham ... fetchers of water and Hewers of wood  for them.
 i am choosing my words carefully and therefore , I will not elaborate further as the sword of Damocles  is hanging over  my head with the banning threat
 I will however reiterate that They are in no position to lecture Uganda and all of Africa for that matter ,  , The Caribbean,..    India   Russia ,  the Arab  world to be accepting towards Gays

Well your definition of racism is flat out wrong. Anyone can be racist, it is simply discrimination on the basis of race. "Power" is not a key determinant, your argument seems to be a depressing reformulation of the argument that "I'm black/Asian/other minority so I can't be racist". You are claiming "white people" are inherently immoral, as you are attributing the evils perpetrated during the colonial era on the basis of skin colour. The insinuation is that you believe that no other race would have done the same, ergo that Black people, in the same situation, would not have carried out mass-scale slavery and exploitation of white people if white people had lived in Africa and Black people in Europe.

On your second point, you were the one who said white people were responsible for all these problems - my counter point was that the majority of societies across the world have had religious or cultural laws that sanctified or justified slavery, across a number of different races. This is not a false equivalency - the crime is the same, what's different is the scale in this particular instance. Is your argument that only white people would enslave a lot, whereas all other races would enslave a little?

The conception of "other" is the important thing here, not the skin colour per se. Simply put, it's easier to enslave someone who looks totally different from you, as they are more obviously not of your 'culture', 'tribe', or other socio-cultural delineation. Ireland was the hub of the North-Western European slave trade before the 1000s, for example, due to intense Viking raids and slave trading. It wasn't the colour of the skin that allowed slavery, simply a cultural emphasis on military might combined with particular religious conceptions. My point is that even if Africans had had the similar skin colour there would have been some other arbitrary trait for which the powerful countries of Europe would have enslaved Africans, for virtue of not being European and unable to resist.

This has turned from your original racist comments, to hopefully trying to show you that race wasn't he pre-determinate factor. You need to look deeper than the skin - there were a whole host of power structures, cultural changes, religious doctrines, and technological and organisational advances that led to the triangular slave trade that saw over 10 million Africans brutalised for cash crops.

To Toppa - hello dear. Yes, capitalism is a major determinant, but given that slavery existed in cultures without a capitalistic system we know it can't be the only determinant. As I said to Ramgoat, White exceptionalism (and in the modern era, "White saviour" narratives) is a product of Europe's rise. Had China cotinued to be the most developed country from 1400 onwards we might be talking about an "Asian Exceptionalism", or if the Islamic world had continued to be the most developed nations in Europe after 1000 we might be talking about "Arab exceptionalism" (not so crazy, the Caliphates owned all of Spain and some parts of south-western France before receding).

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: March 27, 2014, 05:08:00 AM »

First warning.

TY..

But wasnt their "whiteness" later used as a justification for the subjugation of Blacks? White superiority, white privilege, colourism in the West Indies and other former colonies. Please, let us try to be candid here.

It wasn't even "later" ... that was from the day trans-Atlantic enslavement began. Doh be seduced by these apologist, reconstructionist revisionists.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:14:42 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: March 27, 2014, 08:33:37 AM »
only on dis forum could a thread about homos turn into one about slavery.  :frustrated:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: March 27, 2014, 08:47:19 AM »
Excerpted from Tiresais' contribution above:

Simply put, it's easier to enslave someone who looks totally different from you, as they are more obviously not of your 'culture', 'tribe', or other socio-cultural delineation.

Keep going ...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:34:06 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: March 27, 2014, 09:31:42 AM »
@Terisais, the slavery that existed in those societies cannot be compared to the savagery of the trans-atlantic slave trade. Also, other empires enjoyed world dominance at different times yet such large-scale, structural brutality - the effects of which still resonate today - did not exist.

Now I am not really one to condemn an entire people (not saying others have) but lets not try to "whitewash" history with the "oh, it wasnt so bad" and the "well others kinda sorta did it too".
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: March 27, 2014, 11:34:49 AM »
@Terisais, the slavery that existed in those societies cannot be compared to the savagery of the trans-atlantic slave trade. Also, other empires enjoyed world dominance at different times yet such large-scale, structural brutality - the effects of which still resonate today - did not exist.

Now I am not really one to condemn an entire people (not saying others have) but lets not try to "whitewash" history with the "oh, it wasnt so bad" and the "well others kinda sorta did it too".
:beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: March 27, 2014, 12:35:41 PM »
Guys you're entirely mis-interpreting my statement, so let me be clear;

1) Slavery was taken to brutal new heights by the European Colonial powers

2) The direct effects were the enslavement of a large African population, enforced labour for the enrichment of a small rich elite from Europe, and later the United States.

3) The indirect effects were just as bad - you find today that those nations in Africa that traded the most slaves have the worst development outcomes. This is because it fractured ethnicities, turning group against group and African against African (if such a term can be applied).

4) The people who did this were white

5) Their whiteness was incidental. Their white skin did not cause them (the small rich elite) to become slavers.

As I explained in the post above, the explanations are deep, multifaceted, and encapsulate the rise of Europe and the "Great Divergence" in incomes between the West and the Rest. Nowhere did I say "it wasn't so bad" - that's simply flat out wrong. Read my damn posts. To say it happened because Europeans were white (i.e. the colour of their skin caused them to act this way) is just moronic.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: March 27, 2014, 12:56:34 PM »

2) The direct effects were the enslavement of a large African population, enforced labour for the enrichment of a small rich elite from Europe, and later the United States.

3) The indirect effects were just as bad - you find today that those nations in Africa that traded the most slaves have the worst development outcomes. This is because it fractured ethnicities, turning group against group and African against African (if such a term can be applied).

5) Their whiteness was incidental. Their white skin did not cause them (the small rich elite) to become slavers.

As I explained in the post above, the explanations are deep, multifaceted, and encapsulate the rise of Europe and the "Great Divergence" in incomes between the West and the Rest. Nowhere did I say "it wasn't so bad" - that's simply flat out wrong. Read my damn posts. To say it happened because Europeans were white (i.e. the colour of their skin caused them to act this way) is just moronic.

First of all, you're the only person saying that.

Secondly, to say that slavery and colonialism benefited just a minority elite is laughable. The wealth amassed by the British empire during the days of colonialism is directly related to the UK's development, which benefited the population as a whole.

Also the strife amongst the enthnic groups in modern African nation-states are again a direct result of the colonial powers firstly arbitrarily carving up Africa without a care to inidigenous geo-political systems of governance, then favouring one group over the other and pitting them against each other. That's why in modern-day Nigeria there is such tension between the Muslims to the North and the Christians to the South or in Rwanda when the Belgians favoured and uplifted the minority Tutsis at the expense of the Hutus...which led to one of the worst genocides on the continent. And I won't even mention the continued destabilisation attempts by the West, such as the assasination of Patrice Lumumba of the Congo...all to ensure the continued exploitation of the continent.

Now no-one is trying to beat up on you because you're white (if you're white - I don't know or care), but I don't think you have a very good grasp of colonial history. Understandable if you were raised in the UK - they obviously gloss over much of it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:59:32 PM by Toppa »
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: March 27, 2014, 01:25:47 PM »

Red herring.  No one has made the argument that "it wasn't so bad" or "well others kinda sorta did it too".  The original statement was that white people were responsible for ALL of the enumerated ills... including slavery.  The point of bringing in other slavers into the discussion is to show that it began in other societies long before the Europeans became involved.  To say that we cannot compare the two is not only ridiculous, but also irrelevant.  The issue is about genesis of a practice, not who did it better/worse.  The true "whitewashing" would be to lay slavery at the feet of "white people" as Ramjackass is trying to do.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: March 27, 2014, 01:32:22 PM »

You might want to scroll thru the thread again.

Secondly, to say that slavery and colonialism benefited just a minority elite is laughable. The wealth amassed by the British empire during the days of colonialism is directly related to the UK's development, which benefited the population as a whole.

You'd have a very hard time proving that the lower classes in England benefitted much, if at all, from the Trans Atlantic slave trade.  Wealth was consolidated in the hands of the landed aristocracy the the upper classes to whom it spilled over.  Anything that trickled down to the natives on the streets were tangential crumbs at best.

Also the strife amongst the enthnic groups in modern African nation-states are again a direct result of the colonial powers firstly arbitrarily carving up Africa without a care to inidigenous geo-political systems of governance, then favouring one group over the other and pitting them against each other. That's why in modern-day Nigeria there is such tension between the Muslims to the North and the Christians to the South or in Rwanda when the Belgians favoured and uplifted the minority Tutsis at the expense of the Hutus...which led to one of the worst genocides on the continent. And I won't even mention the continued destabilisation attempts by the West, such as the assasination of Patrice Lumumba of the Congo...all to ensure the continued exploitation of the continent.

I think you need to spend some time studying pre-colonial Africa, particularly West Africa, to appreciate just how incorrect this is.  The divisions that existed among the various tribes were well-established by the time the Europeans arrived in Africa.  If anything they were more ruthless in exploiting those differences than naturally might have occurred.

Now no-one is trying to beat up on you because you're white (if you're white - I don't know or care), but I don't think you have a very good grasp of colonial history. Understandable if you were raised in the UK - they obviously gloss over much of it.

It's amazing how much glossing over is being done, in the name of proving that the other side in this discussion, is guilty of the same.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: March 27, 2014, 01:57:51 PM »

READ MY POSTS. You are accusing me of things I plainly didn't argue for!

Direct benefits from slavery and colonialism would have initially accrued to the rich elite, i.e. those who could afford the ships and crew to sell the slaves. It's hard to argue that the poor majority of Great Britain during the 1600s saw any benefit from this. The main benefit, if that's the appropriate word, was that the money accrued to a select few in UK - rich merchants. This upset the power balance between the landed aristocracy and the new rich, those who benefited from trade more broadly, but more specifically slavery and the colonies. This shift in Parliament's power had a number of effects, but the flash point was the English Civil War, where the money of these merchants was essential in the invitation/invasion of William of Orange, and the instituting of a Constitutional Monarchy that protected the rights of individual wealth and property from expropriation from the state.

Undeniably, slavery had a big benefit to the development of the UK economy (Economists aren't sure if that benefit greatly accelerated the UK's rise, or was necessary in it), but the exact relationship is more problematic - countries such as Portugal and Spain clearly didn't benefit as much given they had high levels of poverty into the 1900s. The real issue is why the UK benefited more from slavery than other countries, if it indeed did so. The answer, as I've pointed out elsewhere, is that there were a complex web of socio-economic and political changes over hundreds of years (at least from 1350 after the Black Death) that led to the United Kingdom adopting restraints on the monarch and the protection of private property. These elements were key in preventing the spending sprees of monarchs seen in France and Spain, and facilitating capital accumulation during the Industrial Revolution.

Agreed - the boarders of Africa are arbitrary. There was an intersting paper done by William Easterly that took into account the "straightness" of boarders in the world, and found that those with straighter boarders had lower developmental outcomes (the point being that straight boarders were arbitrary decisions made by colonial powers that made no account for local ethnic groups, cultures or religions). I've brought up the assassination of Lumumba in the Russia thread - a disgraceful and evil act that set in motion the fractured Congo of today.

You're talking out of your ass - I have a thorough knowledge of colonial history. You simply are failing at reading my damn posts. On the last point - education in the UK is shockingly pro-colonial, in a subtle way. There's this depressing mindset that somehow the British Empire was good for the countries it subjected...

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: March 27, 2014, 02:06:10 PM »
@ Bakes - Congo said "white people" did so and so...I think that's different from saying "they did so-and-so because they were white."

Slavery and colonialism benefited the British population at large in that it was the foundation for the development and advancement of their society. Their wealth, their infrastructure, their advancements were all the result of their subjugation of others.

Also, the arbitrary carving up of Africa resulted in the division of already established polities and the creation of new 'countries'. Perfect example of this is the Yoruba people who already had their own political systems, governance, etc but were separated into three different countries during colonialism - Nigeria and Benin - now having the compete with various other ethnic groups. Result - conflict.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: March 27, 2014, 02:18:41 PM »
Slavery and colonialism benefited the British population at large in that it was the foundation for the development and advancement of their society. Their wealth, their infrastructure, their advancements were all the result of their subjugation of others.

How do you know this? All the evidence I've found in Economic History (my specialism) so far is that England was already seeing income growth (well, stagnation before an incredibly slow growth for London and SE, as opposed to Malthusian falls experienced in Europe) above its European neighbours for 150 years before 1562, when the first English slaving expedition started. This is why the question of whether it was essential for (capitalistic) development is not clear cut. I still think it was an integral part in England's rise, specifically because of how it changed the power dynamics in Britain towards a merchant elite, but the question is not clear cut. We probably won't ever know for sure - we're dealing with counter-factuals.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: March 27, 2014, 02:26:51 PM »

How do you know this? All the evidence I've found in Economic History (my specialism) so far is that England was already seeing income growth (well, stagnation before an incredibly slow growth for London and SE, as opposed to Malthusian falls experienced in Europe) above its European neighbours for 150 years before 1562, when the first English slaving expedition started. This is why the question of whether it was essential for (capitalistic) development is not clear cut. I still think it was an integral part in England's rise, specifically because of how it changed the power dynamics in Britain towards a merchant elite, but the question is not clear cut. We probably won't ever know for sure - we're dealing with counter-factuals.

Have you ever read the book Capitalism and Slavery by Dr Eric Williams?
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: March 27, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »
Spain was merciless ,bloodthirty to the Aztecs and other Ameridians lawd ,England ,Portugal and Italy too . Especially when they find gold ,silver and jewels.
Humans will never know what we lost with the lost of  those ppl .We lost the whole history of us.They use to laugh when missionaries try to teach them.
Only because those ancient humans  where murdered they brought workers .But by then the gold was already mined.
Hundreds of billions ....haha Spain broke  now.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:18:39 PM by Qmire »

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: March 27, 2014, 03:38:33 PM »
Spain was merciless ,bloodthirty to the Aztecs and other Ameridians lawd ,England ,Portugal and Italy too . Especially when they find gold ,silver and jewels.
Humans will never know what we lost with the lost of  those ppl .We lost the whole history of us.They use to laugh when missionaries try to teach them.
Only because those ancient humans  where murdered they brought workers .But by then the gold was already mined.

Funny enough I always asked myself the question how can Spain lay claim to sunken treasure that is found... when dey really tief it from the Incas and Aztecs
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: March 27, 2014, 03:42:59 PM »

Funny enough I always asked myself the question how can Spain lay claim to sunken treasure that is found... when dey really tief it from the Incas and Aztecs
I guess they have no shame or no regrets bro.England says the same with there ship wrecks.
And nobody could say nothing its not polite.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: March 27, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »

I guess they have no shame or no regrets bro.England says the same with there ship wrecks.
And nobody could say nothing its not polite.

This jogged a memory - I was in London with my cousin and one of his friends from Spain and the Spanish bloke was lamenting the fact that Spain were not "as good as the British" when it came to exploiting the colonies and he went on and on without a care to our quizzical expressions. The guy was genuinely sad about Spain's "ineptitude"! I was so shocked.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: March 27, 2014, 04:16:18 PM »
Also remember that the slave trade was sactioned by the Catholic Church yeah.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: March 27, 2014, 04:29:19 PM »
Also remember that the slave trade was sactioned by the Catholic Church yeah.
the same church who burned all the ancient medical books and burned the doctors and herbalist which set back our medicine more than 4000 years ,during the inquisition and help killed the infidels incas and aztecs.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:28:10 PM by Qmire »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: March 27, 2014, 04:50:07 PM »
For those reveling in the revisionist fiction that the European slavers were that much worse than their African and Arab predecessors (who were engaged in the trade going all the way back to the Roman Empire):

"We passed a slave woman shot or stabbed through the body and lying on the path. [Onlookers] said an Arab who passed early that morning had done it in anger at losing the price he had given for her, because she was unable to walk any longer".

The Last Journals of David Livingstone, in Central Africa, from 1865 to His Death

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: March 27, 2014, 05:37:58 PM »

Have you ever read the book Capitalism and Slavery by Dr Eric Williams?

Strap on yuh seat belt and prepare for a roller coaster ride ...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: March 27, 2014, 05:52:08 PM »

I seem to remember them having to return some of their ill-gotten gains ... a couple years ago ... Right around the time they were re-acquiring sunken treasure. Ah cyah recall which nation successfully pressed the case for return.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: March 27, 2014, 05:55:40 PM »
Even today, the descendants of the slave drivers and owners live like kings while the descendants of slaves live in squalor even in countries where the majority race is black. In some places the "whites" own over 70 percent of the wealth whilst only making up 5 percent of the population. In what world is that right? That comes back to the fact that we still paying for actions taken over 200 years ago. It's no secret that "white" people consider themselves closest to God and made in his image. They used their "white" skin as a reason to enslave others.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: March 27, 2014, 05:59:35 PM »
@ Congo: what do you propose as the solution to right all wrongs?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: March 27, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »
@Pecan...I don't think there are any solutions that could right any wrongs. At the end of the day, the stronger party will always advantage the weaker one. We can't change that. At best, you can educate yourself and know and understand your history but history is also written by the victors. We keep seeing movies made about slavery but we never see movies about black people before slavery. I was watching the new 300 movie and I was wondering to myself how the hell can America make a movie about Greek history. In an ideal world, the 300 story would be told by Greeks and made with Greek actors right but such is the world we live in.

1]; } ?>