April 28, 2024, 07:26:26 PM

Author Topic: Several ‘Warriors’ called in Beenhakker’s mix  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Several ‘Warriors’ called in Beenhakker’s mix
« on: May 07, 2005, 03:30:34 PM »
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFF Press Officer)

National Senior Team head coach Leo Beenhakker has set about in ensuring that he has the best available set of players for this country’s upcoming back to back 2006 World Cup qualifying matches against Panama and Mexico.

Having made his first cut last week to an 18-man squad of the home-based pros for the next live-in training camp starting on Monday, Beenhakker has requested the presence of 23 overseas-based pros for training camps on May 16-18 and May 22-23 with the Dutch-born coach hoping to have all the players available for the latter mentioned dates. By then he hopes to have had a full look before selecting the final team for the matches against Panama on June 4 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium and Mexico on June 8 in Monterrey.

“We obviously want to have a chance to look and work with all the players before we get the final team together. The first couple of weeks should allow us a chance to assess what there is here in the home league and then we will go about in seeing what the other guys from the outside leagues have to offer,” Beenhakker explained to TTFF Media. “This is all in our effort to gather the best available players for the matches.”

Among the players selected include a few who were not in the team in recent times for some of the previous World Cup qualifying matches. They include Brent Rahim (Falkirk), Kelvin Jack (Dundee) who resumed training last week from injury, Ian Cox (Gillingham) and Avery John (New England Revolution). Glasgow Rangers defender Marvin Andrews has also been called up while Dundee United duo Collin Samuel and Jason Scotland have been invited too but are doubtful because of the Scottish Cup clash with Celtic on May 28.

The others include Shaka Hislop (Portsmouth), Clayton Ince (Crewe Alexandra), Dwight Yorke (Sydney FC), Hector Sam, Dennis Lawrence, Carlos Edwards (Wrexham), Derek Phillips (Shamrock Rovers), Leslie Fitzpatrick, Marlon Rojas (Real Salt Lake), Cornell Glen (Columbus Crew), Silvio Spann (Yokohama), Brent Sancho (Dundee FC), Stern John (Coventry City), David Nakhid (Al Mabarrah), Kenwyne Jones of Stoke City and new English-born midfielder Chris Birchall of Port Vale. There is also yet to be any confirmation on the availability of Russell Latapy who copped the Scottish First Division “Player of the Month” award for April.

Several of the players have expressed a keen interest in returning to the preparations under Beenhakker. Team captain Yorke, recently signed by Sydney FC has been in touch with the management according to assistant manager George Joseph and is making arrangements to ensure that he is present for the preparations.

Meantime, technical director Lincoln Phillips choose to comment on the omission of defender Anton Pierre from the squad for training next week, saying that the Defence Force player should not feel discarded.

“I think that this sort of decision by coach Beenhakker must be respected and Anton should not feel discouraged but rather use it as something to show himself up again by working harder and trying to come back stronger next time. The door has not been closed on him nor any other player but at this time the coach is making the decisions as he sees it in order to get the best playing Trinidad and Tobago team for the crucial games coming up,” Phillips said.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Several ‘Warriors’ called in Beenhakker’s mix
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 03:46:21 PM »
glad to see the MLS men and Silvio has not been forgotten.  Welcome back Avery.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Foreign-based who eh get call
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 03:54:46 PM »
Scott Sealy, Conrad Smith, Andre Boucaud, Errol McFarlane, Anthony Rougier, Nigel Henry and Jason Norville.

De only men ah woulda like tuh see get call up was Sealy and Boucaud. Anybody know why McFarlane not in de mix anymore? He score a couple of goals and den he get drop like ah bad habit. Maybe he style too similar to Croc and Stern.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 05:07:47 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Foreign-based who eh get call
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 04:02:24 PM »
Conrad Smith, Andre Boucaud, Errol McFarlane, Anthony Rougier, Nigel Henry and Jason Norville.

De only one ah woulda like tuh see get call up was Boucaud.

Agreed...the fella was a good player.  Wonder why both he and McFarlane dissappear without trace?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 04:13:15 PM »
Very encouraging to see that there is an  ''attempt to get our BEST possible players" in the  camp.

I am encouraged by this; my only concrn is the TIME. Have the coaches allowed enough time to assess the avaliable talent and to put  systems, set plays and strategies in place prior to the Panama game?

I noticed that Latapy's name is not in the players invited. Anyone know what the latest status is with him?

jusme

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 04:35:53 PM »
the only other man I woulda like to see get a chance to play his way into the squad is sealy, jus cause I always like the man game.  but say what, all in all it seems like they do a good job inviting everybody who might be helpful to the cause.

as much as I love Latapy, he really need to decide one way or another if he involved or not.  dis is serious ting.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 05:17:03 PM »
nahkid should move on in my view he should move on he is to old at 41 no no no no.But it mr phillips i know fuh sure who gave benhanker that list of players.

I really would like to see how good derick phillips is fuh sure
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 06:00:54 PM »
Nakhid was Beenie man first call up...since his first visit back in April.  It doh mean he will make the final squad though men like Theobald, Spann, Whitely even Dwarika will run circles around him in the midfield

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 06:09:08 PM »
Anton Pierre was solid for T&T in the last few games played. I don''t particularly agree with the cut by Beenhakker..but i hope them fellas know what they doing .......

Waiting to see what derek phillips bringing to the team
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 06:45:11 PM »
What's the word on Rougier ? He had one bad game (probable injured) and they drop him like ah hot potato and nobody saying anything and we ain't get nothing on this issue from TTFF.
 This is the problem that these pros have with TTFF.After a man give yeoman service to is country he is somewhat treated with no respect and we the fans/citizens are surely treated the same. Rougier can play every position on the field for us and he has from a youth except goal keeper and you telling me he can't be utilised and called up in a squad close to 50 players ?There must be more to it than meets the eye,and he younger than Nakhid.
 Probable he cuss up Phillip and dem after he was sub in the US game.

Offline Saltanfresh

• Sr. Warrior
  • Doi! Doi! Doi!....everytime
    • View Profile
Re: Like we sacrifice Anton Pierre for Lincoln son to get ah run?
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 08:41:09 AM »
Like nobody have the balls to say it so I did! Anyway good point Royal, Rougier had one bad game and de man geh drop? He is ah man wid real experience and he tough (the latter being ah missing ingredient in plenty ah we players), just de other day everybody was callin for Rougier, now men on the forum geh silent. I am certain Beenie man is a shrewd tactitian, but can he really rely on selection from men who pushing dey son fuh pick?

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 09:17:54 PM »

How Rougier in China and Dwarika at home?   ???

I sure if he turn up he would be considered but it look like the list is just those they willing to send for but whoever come will get a look.

As for him getting cut....he eh look in no kinda footballing form at all last time and that is cuz he wasn't playing before.  It doh help he all the way over in China.  I cah fault that ommission cuz it wasn't clear he shoulda be selected even for that game based on him being inactive and probably unfit.
Nahkid not on the list either so I guess he not in the mix anymore?

Maybe they just going with younger guys.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 12:51:48 AM »
nakid name right on the list, but i doubt if beenee is fair he go make a note as a player wen that announcement was made it was b4 beene had seen wat we can offer both locally and abroad.........

in my view rougier is crap plain and simple

he probably wasnt like that befor but due to his age he really struggles at the intl level and an unprepard usa team exploited him there are many other players that are younger and can play his position as good if not better than him now
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

1]; } ?>