March 28, 2024, 11:35:28 AM

Author Topic: Trinidad coach Beenhakker optimistic for World Cup  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidad coach Beenhakker optimistic for World Cup
« on: February 28, 2006, 06:51:12 PM »
Trinidad coach Beenhakker optimistic for World Cup

By Mike Collett

LONDON, Feb 28 (Reuters) - Trinidad & Tobago coach Leo Beenhakker believes his team could be a surprise package at the World Cup once they have spent more time training together.

The 64-year-old Dutchman said on Tuesday he was pleased with the way they had played in their 2-0 warm-up win over Iceland at Loftus Road, but they had the potential to do far better.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Players are coming back to train with us from all over the world and we are having just three or four days together," he told reporters as they began preparing for this year's finals.

"They all come from different football cultures and play in different leagues so sometimes it is hard for them to adapt quickly to the way we want them to play."

"But before the World Cup we will be together for four weeks and that will be plenty of time to really jell as a team.

"You can see the potential in the side and I learnt a lot tonight watching the players who have been called up for the first time," he added..

"I think a lot of people will be surprised at what we will be able to do at the World Cup. This is a very good squad of players."

He reserved special praise for skipper Dwight Yorke, who scored both goals in the victory, including a chipped penalty that wrapped up the scoring after 54 minutes.

Asked if he was happy with the way 34-year-old Yorke took the penalty and if he would like to see him do it at the World Cup in Germany, Beenhakker replied, "Of course I'm happy -- it ended up in the back of the net.

"Dwight is still a great player and they do things like that. He is a special player and very important to the side."

Beenhakker said he would name a pre-selection squad of 28 players for the finals in the next two weeks and then make his final 23-man selection at the end of April.

"I have a fair idea now. I won't be looking at anyone else now."

Trinidad will play England, Sweden and Paraguay in the opening round in their first appearance in the finals in June.

Updated on Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 6:36 pm EST

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad coach Beenhakker optimistic for World Cup
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 06:54:14 PM »
you know i was looking to see if someone else was posting it   :devil:
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline trinidre

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 07:03:57 PM »
well beenie know what he talking about and he has proven himself time and time again Including today against iceland so i going with whatever the man say  ;D

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 07:08:19 PM »
I am happy that he is confident. He has reason to be that way. However, it is only one practice game. We would be need a more sterner test to say that we can be a suprise package. I love what i am seeing though. That is just my opinion.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 07:10:22 PM »
Beenhakker said he would name a pre-selection squad of 28 players for the finals in the next two weeks and then make his final 23-man selection at the end of April.

Good, maybe now we will stop hearing about any more Zamora talk.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Beenhakker Praises two-goal Yorke
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 07:11:01 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago Head Coach Leo Beenhakker paid tribute to the contributions of Dwight Yorke and Collin Samuel after his side beat Iceland 2-0 at Loftus Road on Tuesday, but admitted there is much to do before the Soca Warriors are ready for June's FIFA World Cup in Germany.

"I'm pleased with the result," he said, "but I will not be celebrating for three nights. It's a preparation match, and we've won it which is good for the confidence. We can do much better."

It was the performance of Yorke that caught the eye and his interaction with Samuel and Carlos Edwards, the two wingers who ply their trade in Britain, for Dundee United and Luton Town respectively.

One caveat was the quality of the opposition - Iceland seemed largely uninterested on Tuesday. Nonetheless, the former Manchester United forward, now 34, was at the heart of most of their best attacking moves, sitting deep off Stern John, and pulling strings as a veteran of his class should.

"That's why we invited him," said Beenhakker. "He's a good player. I know that some people are talking about his age and stuff like that, but so long as he's fit he's a great player not only in an individual way but for the team. He's a great help to me. I can give him a message and he can translate it on to the pitch. He's a very important player. He can always bring you something extra."

The Dutchman insisted he had no qualms about the way Yorke, who now plays for Sydney FC, took his second goal, a penalty, stabbing his shot so it floated over the dive of Arni Arason, the Iceland goalkeeper.

"I'm happy because it went in the net," he said. "That's why he' s a great player."

Besides Yorke, the two wingers were both admirably quick and direct, and it was Samuel who laid on the opening goal. His cross was only half-cleared by Stefan Gislason, allowing Yorke to stroke a confident finish into the top corner from 10 yards.

It was also Samuel's ball nine minutes into the second half that led to Ivar Ingimarsson shoving Stern John, conceding the penalty from which Yorke scored the second.

"He did well, very well," Beenhakker said. "I invited him two or three times in qualification matches. At that time I didn't have a good impression of him, but he is ding much better. I had that information already from the guys working for me in Great Britain, and I was very happy in his performance."

The defence was rather less convincing - particularly given the comparative weakness of the opposition but, as Beenhakker said, solidity is something that will come with practice.

"We can improve in terms of organisation and the way they play as a team," he said. "I'm confident we can use the four weeks preparation time before the World Cup to our advantage."

His main disappointment was the frequency with which Trinidad and Tobago opted for a route one approach, although in fairness that wasn't obviously excessive.

"Nobody has to tell me we still have to do a lot of work to be successful in Germany," he said.

"But our situation is that we have not been together in three months. We've had no training sessions so I couldn't ask much more. That's not the way I want to play, but it's always the same when you have such a short time together. When players are playing all over the world - in Britain, Australia, Japan, the USA - all coming from different football cultures it's difficult. One of the things I don't like is the long ball, but I understand when they come from different cultures and are playing every week in a different way then it is difficult to make the change."

Trinidad and Tobago will be taking part in their first ever FIFA World Cup in Germany this summer and will take on the seeded England plus Sweden and Paraguay in the initial group stage.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060301/6/66fd.html
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 07:19:41 PM »
Yorke Strikes Twice for TnT

Former Manchester United forward Dwight Yorke struck twice as Trinidad and Tobago began their preparations for the FIFA World Cup in style here on Tuesday, recording a comfortable 2-0 victory over Iceland.

Trinidad's defending was never entirely convincing, but there was much to admire about their attacking play.

Even allowing for the mediocrity of the opposition, the interaction of Yorke and Collin Samuel was slick enough to suggest it may trouble better sides.

Sydney FC striker Yorke, dropping deep off Stern John, regularly found space, while the pace and movement of Samuel, the Dundee United winger, was a persistent threat.

It was the two who combined to give Leo Beenhakker's men a tenth-minute lead, although they were aided, as they would be throughout, by Icelandic uncertainty.

Samuel's charge down the left was impressive, but Stefan Gislason's strangely lacksadaisical attempt to clear fell straight to Yorke, and, from 10 yards out, he casually smacked his finish into the top corner.

From an almost identical position 22 minutes later, Stern John, presented with possession by Herman Hreidarsson, lashed disappointingly over.

Yet Iceland, for all their dithering, probably felt aggrieved to be behind at half-time.

Twice they went close from free-kicks, Joey Gudjonsson's early effort skimming just wide after flicking the top of the wall and Eidur Gudjohnsen seeing his curler arc just too far.

Emil Hallfredsson, cutting in from the left, dragged a shot into the side netting when well-placed, then Hreidarsson sliced over from close range as he turned on to Gudjohnsen's volleyed cross.

It was Trinidad and Tobago who began the second half the better, though, and they extended their lead nine minutes after the break, Yorke floating a penalty over Arni Arason's dive after Ivar Ingimarsson had pushed Stern John.

A blizzard of substitutions rather checked their flow - although it is possible the removal of Yorke just before the hour was solely responsible - but their lead was never really threatened.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060228/6/66f6.html
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 08:47:49 PM »
Beenhakker have to stay.....He need to be given a post where he run all football...The kinda football that play in that first half was great to see....If not for the subs we could have easily beaten Iceland 4-0...Beenhakker have to stay....If he wants he should stay, at least for the next 5 years

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 09:19:01 PM »

Seems a little bit premature for Beenie to say he done looking at players but i guess we have no more games to play before he makes his final selection in April.  So unless Fifa rule by next week no room for Zamora or Samuel.

So who making the 28-man squad?  One possibility is Beenie will just keep all the men from this 20-man squad and then add 8 of the other regulars from the WC qualifiers. 

My 8 men to add:
K. Jack
Sancho
Cox
Atiba
Theobald
Scotland
Glen
Sealy

But he may also replace some from this squad with some other past WCQ squad regulars:
Maybe drop Noriega and Henry and bring in the Wolfe brothers?  Or what about Rougier?

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 09:24:14 PM »

No padnah, doh get tie up, if dem bois(Samuel and Zamora) get cleared tuh play fuh we, whether we like it or not, dey go be in dat 28. Dat is ah no brainah, sad tuh say, but that statement was meant fuh players like Dwarika, Hardest and others.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

1]; } ?>