April 16, 2024, 08:39:00 AM

Author Topic: Trinidad coach Beenhakker optimistic for finals (soccernet.com)  (Read 698 times)

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Updated: March 1, 2006
Trinidad coach Beenhakker optimistic for finals
Mike Collett

LONDON, Feb 28 (Reuters) - Trinidad & Tobago coach Leo Beenhakker believes his team could be a surprise package at the World Cup once they have spent more time training together.

The 64-year-old Dutchman said on Tuesday he was pleased with the way they had played in their 2-0 warm-up win over Iceland at Loftus Road, but they had the potential to do far better.

'Players are coming back to train with us from all over the world and we are having just three or four days together,' he told reporters as they began preparing for this year's finals.

'They all come from different football cultures and play in different leagues so sometimes it is hard for them to adapt quickly to the way we want them to play.'

'But before the World Cup we will be together for four weeks and that will be plenty of time to really jell as a team.

'You can see the potential in the side and I learnt a lot tonight watching the players who have been called up for the first time,' he added..

'I think a lot of people will be surprised at what we will be able to do at the World Cup. This is a very good squad of players.'

He reserved special praise for skipper Dwight Yorke, who scored both goals in the victory, including a chipped penalty that wrapped up the scoring after 54 minutes.

Asked if he was happy with the way 34-year-old Yorke took the penalty and if he would like to see him do it at the World Cup in Germany, Beenhakker replied, 'Of course I'm happy - it ended up in the back of the net.

'Dwight is still a great player and they do things like that. He is a special player and very important to the side.'

Beenhakker said he would name a pre-selection squad of 28 players for the finals in the next two weeks and then make his final 23-man selection at the end of April.

'I have a fair idea now. I won't be looking at anyone else now.'

Trinidad will play England, Sweden and Paraguay in the opening round in their first appearance in the finals in June.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know