April 25, 2024, 07:40:12 AM

Author Topic: TRI vs ISL "views & attitudes" thread.  (Read 6939 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
TRI vs ISL "views & attitudes" thread.
« on: March 01, 2006, 06:45:06 AM »
Dear SW Online Warriors Fans:

Fellas, I know many of you who saw the game may want to express yourself a little, please do it on this thread so we can help maintain the MS Board.

Thanks in advance.

May 2-cents.

Shaka Hislop - Wasn't really tested so I cannot say much, I know Shaka can handle himself good even if he was tested. Looked good when he did make a save or two.

Anthony Warner - Made 2 silly clearance but also was not tested, I know personally he is a good keeper and should be given another chance against a better opponent.

Marvin Andrews - Did good, but he's prone to make at least one mistake per-game. Won everything in the air or the majority of times, if he didn't Lawrence was all ways there to clean up.

Dennis Lawrence - Was a total BOSS !!!!! his passing and control has also improved. He is our number one defender at the moment.

Cyd Gray - Fighting with Andrews for second best, this man has improved greatly and had a good game to. Brings pace to our defence as well.

Avery John - Did good and made 2 good free kicks, one which found Stern John only for John to hit over bar. Avery did what he had to do, nothing fancy and did his job well.

Carlos Edwards - Showed great improvement especially in his crossing. He is a class act.

Dwight Yorke - The best player on and off the field. What a great leader and showed great vision. Made some telling passes. Worked off the ball well and made himself available when and where ever he can.

Aurtis Whitley - Another class in the making both Whitley and Cyd Gray are our two most improved players. Whitley had a good game and was very composed on the ball.

Christopher Birchall - A true Warrior, hard worker and brings a lot to the game, also isn't afraid to shoot the ball, he had a good shot saved by Iceland and won some improtant balls.

Collin Samuel - If Collin can be consistent and play as he did yesterday I have no doubt he will be on our 23 man squad for Germany. His pace and ability was causing harvoc to his Iceland marker.

Stern John - Had a decent game, looks fit and has up his work rate tremendously. Missed 2 sitters, but thats Stern...

Ricky Shakes - Looked very excited on the field, might need a second look at. Definitely cannot replace Edwards and Spann on the right wing though. Once players like Shakes, Neaves and Warner become more confident at the international level they will become better players like Whitley and Gray did. They have something to work with and that is important.

Russell Latapy - Didn't have a to good of a game, sparked in and out, but his overall performance was below, thats part of the game, hopefully he'll step up because a fit Latapy will be an asset. He was closed down very quick by Iceland.

Silvio Spann - Made one or two good passes, had a relatively quiet game, intercepted some balls well, he didn't play to his normal standard. But has the right tools to take care of business.

Kenwyne Jones - If he learn how to use his size, strength, speed and dribbling ability he will do much better. He have to stop fighting with the ball. He came on and did nothing much, but in all fairness to Jones he was man marked and doubled team at times.

Kevon Neaves - His in-experience might have affected his play being nervous an all. But being left footed might work to his advantage. Didn't do much, In his defence though, all he had was only 13 minutes on the field. This was the biggest game he ever played in so hopefully he'll be more settled should he get another chance.

Anthony Noreiga and Nigel Henry - Both players selection might be a difficult one, because replacing Andrews and Lawrence might be tough, however not impossible. They need to step it up and claim their spot on the team. We are poor in defence, we lack organization and some pace, once both Henry and Noreiga can provide this they will get their chance. I still feel both players should have played a part yesterday because it is important for them to get picked up by a club team and breaking into the T&T team will only help their cause. They are allready here and is part of our team now so we have to make sure they are taken care off.

Clayton Ince - Should go on loan to some club where he will be playing regularly, this is the only chance he may have to get into the T&T team, he has not played on a consistent level for a long time and his chances might be very dim. He is a decent keeper but needs to be playing more often. Beenhakker did mentioned that he will not be looking at new players now, so what we have here will have to work, we just need to make sure our team is fit and ready as possible.

Leo Beenhakker - EXCELLENT !!!! simple as that...

Bright Spot:

T&T played some of the best football I have ever seen in the first half. We closed down Iceland in a heart beat and was controlling the flow of the game. Our midfield even without Latapy was working throughout. Even our defenders looked good, they won mostly every ball and didn't just kick it up the field but pass it to the midfield. In the second half when those subs came on it definitely interfaired with the chemistry of the team and didn't have the flow as the original eleven did. When our wing men was up to it though in the first half we looked deadly.

Dull Spot:

I expected more from Iceland, they didn't give us a good fight, so its hard to evaluate our game. I wouldn't get to carried away, we still have work to do especially in defence. We took forever to clear our line, we looked dis-organised at times when Iceland was on the attack, especially down the center and during corners, our defenders and keeper need to communicate a little more often and we are still making silly mistates under pressure. I believe we should try to possibly squeeze two friendly games in during the month of March and April, it will do us good. Players like Shakes, Warner, Boucaud, Charles, Sam, Sancho, Cox, Henry, Theobald, Neaves, Noreiga, Glen, Sealy, Scotland among others can get a better look at and the regulars can take a break. Depth is very important at this level. When we made subs in the second half the level of our game dropped drastically, I know this was a trial game for many new players, so I can excuse that and I am sure Beenhakker will mold the team when the time is right. Our strikers should also take more shots at goal. We have plenty of flair going forward and should grab a goal or two, particularly if Yorke and Latapy stays fit, but the defence might find it difficult to cope with an attack more potent than Iceland's.

Related Threads:

Full Report.

TRI vs ISL Photo Thread.

Thread for the TRI v ISL Game.

Truetrini in London, day 6.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 07:22:12 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TRI vs ISL "views & attitudes" thread.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 07:46:52 AM »
My man of the match.

Dwight Yorke
Collin Samuel
Dennis Lawrence

In that order.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 08:06:11 AM »
We had a ''professional'' performance. Latas came on the field with us up 2-0 and all we had to do was maintain position. He not playing for his spot, because that guaranteed so he did what he needed to do :made the ball work, no need for anything brilliant. Spann did well off the bench as well.

Both Shakes and Neaves need more playing time against Peru as they are young and were probably over-awed by the occasion but they both have talent and would probably be the best backups for Carlos and Samuel in Germany.(Spann is earmarked for central midfield and only in emergency can ply the right back)

The centre midfield 6 seems to be cemented: Yorke, Aurtis, Birchall, with Latas for Yorke(just behind the striker), Spann for either one of the next 2 and that next spot is Bleeder unless somebody else burst on the scene of he doh get to sweat at Falkirk at all.

The defence...Sancho book as backup regardless, I beleive, but one of the youths will probably take Cox spot, depends on their versatlity to play across the back line. Avery, solid not special, as usual. But that's all we need from him. Please note, for all the people who like to pong Avery, that he always has good games when he has a recognisable left midfield in front of him, not Latas or Theobald or whoever drifitng in from the left.

But the side looked good, which was surprising since if the more sceptic among us may have noted durign the hex we always play disjointed in the first game back under Beenie, and by the second game of the week the performance improves. I can't even imagine how much the team could really improve in the 4 weeks together before the World Cup ! I like how Beenie keep alluding to that as well...we surpirsed at the talent and he just wants more time to work with the boys.

PS Stern really work harder than usual,no wonder he start back scoring for Coventry. i feel is Dennis Wise boofing them in training have him running now
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 08:10:05 AM »
Good break down Flex. A match in March and April will do the new comers good, one last hurray...

I believe our entire team is going to see England play today....

'The door is still open'
By Tony Stevens.

England Head Coach Sven-Goran Eriksson says the door is still open for any English player to force their way into the reckoning for the World Cup squad.
Sven will announce his final 23 in May, and although there is just one more fixture between now and then - next Wednesday’s clash with Uruguay - the national head coach insists that English players will have opportunities to impress him in their club games.
Eriksson lost both Gary Neville and Steven Gerrard to injury in the run-up to the last World Cup four years ago, so he is well aware that he will need the cream of English football to be on stand-by for a call-up.
He said: "We will announce the World Cup squad in May so of course there is time for players to force their way into the squad. The Uruguay game is the last game before the World Cup, but after it I will be going around watching matches as usual.
"Injuries are the biggest problem we might have and you can’t do anything about it. Every time you see one of the English players go down injured you are almost scared.
"It is very important that we have fit players and not injured players in May, that is the most important thing."
Next week’s friendly match at Anfield offers a chance for those already in the squad to stake a claimfor a place in the World Cup starting line-up, with the strikers particularly keen to impress alongside Wayne Rooney in the absence of the injured Michael Owen.
"We are going to start with the best possible team against Uruguay. We are going to have four strikers but I’m not sure who is going to play up-front with Wayne Rooney.
"It’s possible that I might give two people the opportunity to play with Rooney. "Darren Bent will be in the squad for sure and Wayne Bridge is back, which is good because Ashley Cole is not available.
"Sol Campbell is also out along with Kieron Dyer and Jonathon Woodgate unfortunately. I wanted to pick Woodgate but he is injured again, which is a pity."
There is also an incentive to the injured Campbell, whose place in the national side has been called into question during recent weeks.
Sven reassured the England defender that he is still a big part of his plans for the summer.
"I talked to Sol, we discussed the World Cup and he definitely wants to be there. I am very happy about that because a fit Sol Campbell is always good to have on your side. He is a rock.
"There is the chance that it could be his last World Cup so I think he’ll do everything to be ready for Germany."

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 08:23:43 AM »
Great Analysis..
The only thing I would add and this is just my opinion,, is that it was hard for the subs to really make an impact, especially as most of them have never played together.. Lapaty could have done better, but with Shakes, Warner, Neaves, Spann and Jones it would have been hard to keep the rythmn going.. In a normal game we would not have so many subs, so hopefully that is why none of them really stood out..

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 08:39:24 AM »
good analysis flex.....

I would still like to see our midfield move a little more, and move the ball a little more creatively. Alot of our midfield passing is still lateral.....patient and composed which is great and often needed, but not cutting edge enough to be dangerous against a good team.

I would like to see more penetrating runs from the middle, confident passing in tight spaces, willingness to take a risk on a non-routine outlet and more give and go's in the middle of the field. It will come with chemistry, increased fitness, and the desire for someone other than Yorke to step up and be a take-charge player.

Our realease pass is still too often a long ball over the top or wide- A good team can defend that very easily. Too often our forward(s) receive a difficult ball in isolation, with his back to the goal. Yorke however was able to make one or two penetrating passes that caused danger.

All in all, we did well. With more games under our belt, gradual and constant improvement, and with the month long camp before the cup, I think we can put up a respectable showing in Germany......

« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 08:43:33 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

TrinInfinite

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 08:40:31 AM »
dredd i would love tuh comment on de game, but ah cant, coz ah couldnt see de whole ting, hard luck, when my aunt sends de tape dis week, i will give my analysis fully  :beermug:

but nice one flex, always good :beermug:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 08:51:27 AM »
Good analysis flex i agree on the part with neaves comming out from college and playing international well lets say  different types of football dey. I think its to soon to close the door though a few local base may be able to force their way in the squad.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 09:13:51 AM »
Everybody beating down Latapy game. Did anyone noticed as soon as he got in the game ISL had 2 men on him and pulling him down. My first thought was that they knew he is our unsung football hero and they where aware of his skills. They ensured that he had no length of time with the ball because he could have been very dangerous. Just my oppinion buit you all need to watch the game again and then reply to my post. I was proud to watch the game yesterday my inlaws are german and he is a big football fan he was greatly impressed with our game yesterday infact he noted the speed of our guys. He was supprized at the control we had of the game and that Germany could have only drawed 0-0 with ISL and we beat them by 2-0.
I was so talking Latapy up to him and he noticed tha ISL would not let him get the ball. He said"apparently they (ISL) afraid of him to look how they ruffing him up. He is tiny though"
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 09:16:32 AM »
It was Tony Warner who replaced Shaka in the 2nd half not Ince the commentator realized his error and corrected it.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 09:30:39 AM »
No one is fighting down Latapy game Themanfriday,,,, and having two players marking our #10 is also part of the game, if Latapy good he should know how to shake them off... so no excuse their, he had an off game and did not play to his level, doesn't mean he is a bad player, he is great, but just had an off day.

Good job Flex.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 09:32:06 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 09:34:43 AM »
I know Yorke score de goals but my man of the match is samuel on de left side. Boy he look like flash runing down de ball and dem ISL man cyah catch up wit he. De man have speed fuh days :rotfl:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 09:51:00 AM »
This e-mail was sent to me....

Mr View.
By Neil.

Carnival came early to West London last night, Shepherds bush home of Loftus Pk stadium is used to seeing carnival in August when the Nottinghill carnival is on. Last night 8000 Trinis along with their other West Indian brethren braved the almost arctic -like conditions to support their heroes the soca warriors as they took on Iceland. The crowd was put in the mood by MC Martin Jay choice FM soca DJ who had actually flown back from T & T carnival that very morning for the match.

After a presentation party consisting of Jack Warner and various representatives from the English and Icelandic FA were introduce to the teams the game kicked off at 8pm local time. The first half started at quite a lively pace and the first 10 minutes was practically end-to-end action. Following a fine flowing move down the left side involving several T&T players, Yorke found himself on the end of a loose ball unmarked in the area and he lashed it home in the tenth minute. Cue even more flag waving and jumping up and the 8000 crowds sounded like they were twice that number.

This goal opened up the game even more and Iceland came forward in several attempts to equalize but the T&T defence held firm. Dennis Lawerence and Marvin Andrews in particular were both outstanding and on several occasions had to clean up mistakes by A. John and Cyd Gray.As the first half progress the game settled down and T&T probably had the better of position as their mid field stamped their authority on the game. Carlos Edwards and Aurtis Whitley in particular causing problems with their pace and searching runs down their respective flanks.

In the second half there were several substitutions as Beenie gave others an opportunity to impress. Hislop , Edwards, and Whitley all came off and Warner, Shakes and Spann all came on. In the 50th minute Stern John won a penalty after being brought down in the box and skipper York step up to coolly and calmly chip the keeper from the spot, something we have seen him do before but it still takes a lot of courage and skill. Once again the crowd went wild as York ran to the touchline to celebrate. Iceland also made several changes as they threw everything into attack to salvage some pride. Warner’s goal came under intense pressure and at one point Iceland had about five consecutive corners but once again the T&T defence stood firm and was able to soak up the pressure. Yorke, Samuel and S.John, also came off and Latapy, Neaves and K. Jones came on. Latapy pleased the crowd with his balls skills and Jones seem to give the warriors and extra dimension up front as his strength on the ball and height seem to cause some problems for the Iceland defence.

The crowd was privileged to witness some entertaining football, considering it was a friendly both teams played with a lot of commitment and desire. For the Icelanders Gudjohnsen stood out, every time he had the ball he looked dangerous, he also had a couple free kicks from just outside the area that were not far of the mark. His teammates were solid and technically sound without being spectacular. For T&T, Tallest and Marvelous Marvin stood out in the back, Yorke showed his maturity and class in mid-field and Stern John could take notes from him about making his chances count in front of goal. Birchall gave another committed performance in midfield. Stern John should be disappointed that he did not get on the score sheet as he had a couple clear cut chances in the first half and should have really done better. Most of the subs in the second half may be a bit disappointed by their performance as none of them really stood out with the exception of Latapy, Spann and Jones.

All in all though this was a solid performance by the warriors against quality opposition in adverse conditions. They did not disappoint their fans that turned out in such huge numbers to support them, a fact that Yorke acknowledge in the post match presentation.
Added to the team performance was the soca music during the interval and before and after the match as well as the cheerleaders and the girls in the skimpy mass costumes a good night was had by all unless of course you were an Iceland supporter of whom there were probably less than 100 in the stadium.

SOCA WARRIORS TEAM

·   Hislop   
·   A John
·   Andrews
·   Gray
·   Lawerence
·   Birchall
·   Yorke
·   Edwards
·   Whitley
·   Samuel
·   S John

SUBS USED

·   Warner
·   Shakes
·   Spann
·   Latapy
·   Jones
·   Neaves

Regards.
Neil Ragoobar.
Soca Warrior at large.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 04:52:40 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 09:51:41 AM »
Good one Flex.

I have my bits and pieces of opinions from the players when I watch de game, but honestly ah need to see it again to give fair reports. While ah was watching it ah was real charged, ah almost get up and wine in de middle of de computer lab, real skinnin teeth and ting  ;D

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 10:15:45 AM »
Everybody beating down Latapy game. Did anyone noticed as soon as he got in the game ISL had 2 men on him and pulling him down. My first thought was that they knew he is our unsung football hero and they where aware of his skills. They ensured that he had no length of time with the ball because he could have been very dangerous. Just my oppinion buit you all need to watch the game again and then reply to my post. I was proud to watch the game yesterday my inlaws are german and he is a big football fan he was greatly impressed with our game yesterday infact he noted the speed of our guys. He was supprized at the control we had of the game and that Germany could have only drawed 0-0 with ISL and we beat them by 2-0.
I was so talking Latapy up to him and he noticed tha ISL would not let him get the ball. He said"apparently they (ISL) afraid of him to look how they ruffing him up. He is tiny though"

I agree with that sentiment

I sure the Icelandic scouting reports had Latas as de man to mark cause he quietly dangerous...so dem fellahs lock him dong

As I see it everyone will over anal-yze the individuals but as a team none can deny they actually played as a fluid UNIT
Were there some rough spots? Yes!!....no worries Beenie go bring out he belt sander and smoooden ;) dat out

Even if we lose one of the next tune-up games.......barring injury, dem fellash ready fud de Big show :beermug:

Ent was Mike Berry predict 2-0 vs Iceland.?....bess aks he what is de rest of de predictions

Lawd ah hope ah eh post all dis arready
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
Well done Warriors
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 10:16:35 AM »
Great game warriors, even though we weren't troubled much. Great performances by Samuel, Yorke, Birchall, Lawrence. Warner and Shakes didn't really show up.

I think Spann should be renamed Dracula. He does just appear upon defenders

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 10:20:42 AM »
I was only WAITIN fuh Latas to come on, we was already playing boss football. I agree, he get locked down everytime he had the ball, but Latas still showed while he is Latas, three men on him and they couldn't get the ball, even though he didn't get foward much he still thread nice passes, they connect while man on him.

If anyone have a pic of Yorke being substituted for Yorke at the moment when they high-fived each other, ah would love to see it. That was the iconic image of dat game for me.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 10:30:45 AM »

I agree with that sentiment

I sure the Icelandic scouting reports had Latas as de man to mark cause he quietly dangerous...so dem fellahs lock him dong

Yes but this is two teams now that take Latas out of the game easy easy. One of them being a shitty Bahrain team. I don't see that changing at the WC when we play better teams.

Men might not like to hear it but at the WC Latas most likely position is on the bench.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 10:43:16 AM »
free kicks against us where d kicker can go straight to goal r my biggest fear in the game there were 2 clear hand ball by men in our wall the other freekick flew narrowly wide i dont know how we can better prepare ourselves 4 freekicks as a team cause its a kicker vs keeper senario but how we deal with free kicks r my main concern

i dont know much about d icelandic language but i can swear than all d team members names ended in -son anyone knows y
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 10:49:10 AM by freakazoid »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 10:50:58 AM »

i dont know much about d icelandic language but i can swear than all d team members names ended in -son anyone knows y

because we show dem that we was their daddy  ;D

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006, 11:01:31 AM »

The way they get their surnames is they take their father's first name and add sson if a male, or dottir if a female.
So Gujdonsson father first name is something like Gudjon.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 11:12:26 AM »

The way they get their surnames is they take their father's first name and add sson if a male, or dottir if a female.

so Gudjonsson and his father don't have the same last name ?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 11:20:19 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Boy too much mystery in dis world to buss yuh brain on dat one oui

Is like aksin why all Japanese last names does end with ah vowel...or why 90% of greek last names does end with 'S'
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2006, 11:30:36 AM »

I sure thats how it was done in Scandinavian/Viking society a very long time ago.... I dont think this is still done... However the last names are vestigial....

Eidur Gudjohnsen father is Arnor Gudjohnsen a very famous Icelandic player who played in Belgium.... in fact they are the only Father- Son duo to ever play in an International match together against Estonia I believe

Eidur was 18 and Arnor was 35
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2006, 11:33:20 AM »
We had agood game despite Iceland not actually playing anything. We were not truly tested so we cannot really give a defensive analysis. We can comment on how we played. Our passing improved and our decisions making were a lot better. Our work rate was good. But, we still have to look at the game. We were never really pressured into doing anything so our passes and team shape were on point. However the few times we came under pressure we gave the ball up. though less thatn we made great passes. Also the few times ISl did actually get forward they had strikers unmarked.

Latapy did not do well. Okay, some people said that they had two peole marking him the minute he got on the field, so whats the problem?

Jones need to play some more and quit complain, all the ball forward would not be perfect, he has to contest for the ball and stop standing there and let the defender have a free header. This is why we need Yorke to push higher so that when we play forward he can hold the ball for the mids to come help out.

Hislop is the man, Warner just lose out.. next game I hope we start Jack before Hislop to be fair to Jack.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2006, 11:34:02 AM »
Is Samuel ah striker or a left winger
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2006, 11:35:55 AM »
Nah man...allyuh men totally off about Latas. You have to watch the state of the game. We were up 2-0, all the man had to do was help the team keep possession and he do that. He didn't need to do anything special. is not like if he was giving away the ball or playing crap..the man just didn't shine, but he didn't need to. Is not like he playing for a spot or somehting...he just had to take it easy and guide the youth out there.For all we know, he probably tell Spann and them boys ''fellas, allyuh go out there and do allyuh thing, just pass to me when u in trouble but today is your day to shine !'' and he take a back seat.

i doh understand the criticism... the man didn do nuttin bad...even Lara is score duck sometimes u know?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2006, 11:38:01 AM »
My views:
From where I sat in stand behing the goal, this was by far the best game T&T has played for a while. We looked like a genuine international football team not like the pub football we were playing under BSC (Take a bow Bennie).

We allowed Iceland to have most of the possession, but looked more dangerous when we attacked. We only had 2 corners and I am sure they had about 8. My views on each player:

Shaka: Did not have much to but did what he had to do with aplumb. He remains my number 1 goalie for now.

Dog: Had a decent game and did his job well. He starting the WC.

Tallest: Man of the match for me. Had a boss game. The man look like he should be partnering Puyol at Barcelona. Good toughes, control and distribution. A 'shoe-in' for the WC

El Cyd: Did OK, but he still a bit wild. I wouldnt say he is a definite starter in the WC. I need to see him a bit more.

John: Of all the players, my view he was the least effective. Will need to up his game if he is to start in the WC

Edwards: Did well as he does in the first half. Delays his crossing just a fraction too much. Sure to start the WC.

Birchall; Second best player after Lawrence. His ball winning skills was good. He is going to shock Lampard and Gerrard!

Yorke: First goal was a beauty. Signature penalty is still a joy to watch, particularly when you right behind the goal where he scores it. He made a few stray passes and lost opportunities to put Stern through on goal.

Whitley: Did not shine, maybe it was the 0 degree temperatures in London.

Samuel; Had a gem of a game. Both goals came from runs he made that reulted in crosses that troubled the defenders. Where was he in the qualifiers! Pace and skill for days. All defenders dislike men who can run atthem at pace. He in the starting 11 for me, until I see somebody better of the left side.

John: Showed good movement. Missed a sitter, but didnt get many other opportunities. Obviously was fouled for the penalty whilst he bore down on goal.

Subs:
Warner: The jury still out on whether he will make the team. I think Imps should be given another chance, because I am not sure how better Warner is than him.

Shakes: Was not effective, but he young and still have time on he side.

Latas: 1 or 2 good touches. but didnt really threaten the goal. This is a tricky one with Latas. I am not sure if he will be as effective as a sub, but we shall see.

Jones. A definite threat when he came on. His strength and height will pose a threat late on, if we are chasing the game.

Neaves: Did not do much. Have to see more of him.

Spann: This man did OK and looks capable of fullfilling the Latas role. He has some good touches and good passing skills. For me, Whitley and him, fighting for the same starting position.

These are just views.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
Dear SW Online Warriors Fans:

Fellas, I know many of you who saw the game may want to express yourself a little, please do it on this thread so we can help maintain the MS Board.

Thanks in advance.

May 2-cents.

Shaka Hislop - Wasn't really tested so I cannot say much, I know Shaka can handle himself good even if he was tested. Looked good when he did make a save or two.

Anthony Warner - Made 2 silly clearance but also was not tested, I know personally he is a good keeper and should be given another chance against a better opponent.

Marvin Andrews - Did good, but he's prone to make at least one mistake per-game. Won everything in the air or the majority of times, if he didn't Lawrence was alway there to clean up.

Dennis Lawrence - Was a total BOSS !!!!! his passing and control has also improved. He is our number one defender at the moment.

Cyd Gray - Fighting with Andrews for second best, this man has improved greatly and had a good game to. Brings pace to our defence as well.

Avery John - Did good and made 2 good free kicks, one which found Stern John only for John to hit over bar. Avery did what he had to do, nothing fancy and did his job well.

Carlos Edwards - Showed great improvement especially in his crossing. He is a class act.

Dwight Yorke - The best player on and off the field. What a great leader and showed great vision. Made some telling passes. Worked off the ball well and made himself available when and where ever he can.

Aurtis Whitley - Another class in the making both Whitley and Cyd Gray are our two most improved players. Whitley had a good game and was very composed on the ball.

Christopher Birchall - A true Warrior, hard worker and brings a lot to the game, also isn't afraid to shoot the ball, he had a good shot saved by Iceland and won some improtant balls.

Collin Samuel - If Collin can be consistent and play as he did yesterday I have no doubt he will be on our 23 man squad for Germany. His pace and ability was causing harvoc to his Iceland marker.

Stern John - Had a decent game, looks fit and has up his work rate tremendously. Missed 2 sitters, but thats Stern...

Ricky Shakes - Looked very excited on the field, might need a second look at. Definitely cannot replace Edwards and Spann on the right wing though. Once players like Shakes, Neaves and Warner become more confident at the international scene they will become better players like Whitley and Gray did. They have something to work with and that is important.

Russell Latapy - Didn't have a to good of a game, sparked in and out, but his overall performance was below, thats part of the game, hopefully he'll step up because a fit Latapy will be an asset. He was closed down very quick by Iceland.

Silvio Spann - Made one or two good passes, had a relatively quiet game, intercepted some balls well, he didn't play to his normal standard. But has the right tools to take care of business.

Kenwyne Jones - If he learn how to use his size, strength, speed and dribbling ability he will do much better. He have to stop fighting with the ball. He came on and did nothing much, but in all fairness to Jones he was man marked and doubled team at times.

Kevon Neaves - His in-experience might have affected his play being nervous an all. But being left footed might work to his advantage. Didn't do much, In his defence though, all he had was only 13 minutes on the field. This was the biggest game he ever played in so hopefully he'll be more settled should he get another chance.

Anthony Noreiga and Nigel Henry - Both players selection might be a difficult one, because replacing Andrews and Lawrence might be tough, however not impossible. They need to step it up and claim their spot on the team. We are poor in defence, we lack organization and some pace, once both Henry and Noreiga can provide this they will get their chance. I still feel both players should have played a part yesterday because it is important for them to get picked up by a club team and breaking into the T&T team will only help their cause. They are allready here and is part of our team now so we have to make sure they are taken care off.

Clayton Ince - Should go on loan to some club where he will be playing regularly, this is the only chance he may have to get into the T&T team, he has not played on a consistent level for a long time and his chances might be very dim. He is a decent keeper but needs to be playing more often. Beenhakker did mentioned that he will not be looking at new players now, so what we have here will have to work, we just need to make sure our team is fit and ready as possible.

Leo Beenhakker - EXCELLENT !!!! simple as that...

Bright Spot:

T&T played some of the best football I have ever seen in the first half. We closed down Iceland in a heart beat and was controlling the flow of the game. Our midfield even without Latapy was working throughout. Even our defenders looked good, they won mostly every ball and didn't just kick it up the field but pass it to the midfield. In the second half when those subs came on it definitely interfaired with the chemistry of the team and didn't have the flow as the original eleven did. When our wing men was up to it though in the first half we looked deadly.

Dull Spot:

I expected more from Iceland, they didn't give us a good fight, so its hard to evaluate our game. I wouldn't get to carried away, we still have work to do especially in defence. We took forever to clear our line, we looked dis-organised at times when Iceland was on the attack, especially down the center and during corners, our defenders and keeper need to communicate a little more often and we are still making silly mistates under pressure. I believe we should try to possibly squeeze two friendly games in during the month of March and April, it will do us good. Players like Shakes, Warner, Boucaud, Charles, Sam, Sancho, Cox, Henry, Theobald, Neaves, Noreiga, Glen, Sealy, Scotland among others can get a better look at and the regulars can take a break. Depth is very important at this level. When we made subs in the second half the level of our game dropped drastically, I know this was a trial game for many new players, so I can excuse that and I am sure Beenhakker will mold the team when the time is right. Our strikers should also take more shots at goal. We have plenty of flair going forward and should grab a goal or two, particularly if Yorke stays fit, but the defence might find it difficult to cope with an attack more potent than Iceland's.