April 28, 2024, 08:59:25 PM

Author Topic: Champion club from Peru coming to give ‘Warriors’ a warm up  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Champion club from Peru coming to give ‘Warriors’ a warm up.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago’s  senior footballers, scheduled to play local club North East Stars in a training match on Tuesday, will have another warm-up on the cards against Peruvian champion club Alianza Lima ahead of the June 4 World Cup qualifier at home to Panama.
The game, to be played here on May 18, was confirmed by TTFF Special Advisor Jack Warner during his visit to Peru on Saturday after  head coach Leo Beenhakker had requested a training encounter against a quality Latin American club team.
Warner was in Peru to announce arrangements for FIFA’s inspections for the World Under 17 championship which will be played there in September. He was at the JW Marriot Hotel in Lima for a media conference after meeting  with Government officials there to discuss the staging of the tournament which was also overseen by the CONCACAF President when it was hosted by Trinidad and Tobago in 2001.
Alianza Lima is Peru’s oldest club and has won the domestic title numerous times including the 1997, 2001 and  2004 seasons. The club also comprises Peruvian National team members such as goalkeeper Leao Butron, defender Guillermo Salas and midfielders Aldo Olcese, Juan Jayo and Marko Ciurlizza. Outstanding Peruvian striker Nolberto Solano is also a past member of the Lima club.
When asked n whether the match in Port of Spain would assist in Peru’s support of T&T’s FTAA bid, Warner replied : “If it does do that, I would  be glad to have been part of the assistance in that regard as this match is the first of its kind in the footballing  history of the two countries. But more importantly the match comes at a fitting time in the build up to the next World Cup qualifying match and it is in keeping with the coach’s request to play against a top club from Latin America.”
Beenhakker continues training from Monday at the Larry Gomes Stadium.
“We begin our second training camp and then the third camp will continue going into the training game which will give us a good chance to see the players against a quality club team which is what I had wanted in the preparations leading up to the two qualifying matches,” Beenhakker told TTFF Media. The Dutch-born coach invited 23-overseas-based professionals to join the preparations and some of them are expected to begin arriving in the country from this week. A squad of 17 home-based players will go into the second live-in camp Monday.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 05:37:58 PM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Champion club from Peru coming to give ‘Warriors’ a warm up
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 04:02:43 PM »
Good timing. I'll be home at dat time, so I'll be able tuh take een de match.

jusme

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 04:06:45 PM »
more and more it really look like beenie have a plan and it good to see that jack and dem will go outta dey way to give him what he want.  good to see.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 04:10:00 PM »
I see on we also carded to play a digicel all star team on may 29th (this same site, in the results from 2000 page)
any more info on this anyone?
More games we get.... the better.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 04:10:30 PM »
“If it does do that, I would  be glad to have been part of the assistance in that regard as this match is the first of its kind in the footballing  history of the two countries.

Ah wonder what he mean by dat. We played Peru before on June 16, 1989. We beat dem 2-1 on dat occasion. Unless he mean dat we never play a Peruvian club before.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 04:31:01 PM »
steups. thats all i can say when i read this. why cant we get the peruvian natl  team instead? this is the best we can do? at least its better than nothing right?
Hart for president

jusme

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 04:32:49 PM »
I see on we also carded to play a digicel all star team on may 29th (this same site, in the results from 2000 page)
any more info on this anyone?
More games we get.... the better.

digicel all-star team?  if it just gonna be a team put together for that game we go probably be better off playing against W connection

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Peruvian national team not available
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 04:39:16 PM »
why cant we get the peruvian natl  team instead?

Dey not available because dey involved in de Kirin Cup in Japan (May 22nd - 27th). It is a round-robin tournament featuring Japan, Peru and de United Arab Emirates.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 05:02:29 PM »
While some of us may see this warm up match as  good competition, I am wondering about the LESSONS LEARNED from a similar endeavour. and just wonder why is it that we can't  schedule mataches aganist  the national teams of  say  Jamacia? a country that we bring out the best of. Why not Haiti? why not Cuba? acountry who will be looking for matches prior to Gold Cup? why not ask Canada?

Is it just me or is this looking like the same chupidness dat happen prior to the Guatemala game regarding friendlies? Look Venezuela right over there and we cyar have a home and away aganist Venezuela?

Ok ok so we playing club teams; we getting warm up matches? LESSONS LEARNED: What did we learn after playing the Atlanta SILVER BACKS? so we won the game but lost the battle.

Just my opinion; I could be wrong or then again ah just asking.............

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 05:08:07 PM »
Any warm-up is better than none, but while we're warming up against a Peruvian club side, our next opponent (Panama) is scheduled to play Venezuela in Caracas on May 25th. In many instances though, a top club side can give you a better workout than a national team.

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 05:49:59 PM »
Alberta, something you must keep in mind is that T&T's stock is very low at the moment, other national programs won't consider us a worthwhile challenge nor are we going to sell tickets in anyone else's stadium.

jusme

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 05:59:06 PM »
my only concern is that several of their key players will apparently be in camp with the Peruvian national team at the time.

Other than that, like rocwell say that might be the best level team we might be able to realistically pursue at this point. 

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 06:20:45 PM »
all i go say is ..........FINALLY ah go take that. Anything at this stage ah taking. it a lil better than NE Stars but far from where we should be ......but anythign at this stage to see how the fellas looking in a competition setting good.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 06:35:53 PM »
It better than nothing, I think it should be a good warm up though... What happen to the warmup against England in the US????

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2005, 06:52:37 PM »
I wonder if this Alianza Lima side is better than Antigua?  Before we start asking for better friendlies take care we don't get more licks in we tail

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2005, 06:52:58 PM »
It better than nothing, I think it should be a good warm up though... What happen to the warmup against England in the US????

There was never any warmup against England in the US...somebody just read it wrong.

Why in the World would England play us with our recent performances anyway.
No team want to play us until we show we know how to play football and not wasting their time.
If we perform better in these two WCQs then maybe some others might be interested.

I cah say why we doh have Cuba, Venez, Haiti, Jamaica etc.
Probably becuz if we lose it will just make things that much worse support wise $$.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2005, 08:59:46 PM »
This soccer beginning to sound like  the sport of 'boxing' yuh know where the champion fights some 'stiffs' before he takes on the real contenders. I am not saying that the  club is not a worthy opponent. However, is it deem less painful to lose to a club side than a national side of a country?

I am not sure that the stock of Canada  is any higher than us, yet they had a friendly aganist Portugal who is ranked in the top 20. Cuba and Haiti is ranked below us. Come on folks, if we truly believe that we do in fact are worthy of  being in the world cup and we do have players who warrant world cup status, we ought to be taking on all comers regardless  of  how we are positioned.

And I bet that if we were to play aganist Jamacia, there would be a full stadium  in yardie watching tuh see if we go get licks!!!!!

I have full confidence that we ought to be facing stiffer challenges and playing  optimun football as we get closer to where each and every game is a do or die.

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2005, 09:36:08 PM »
Is anyone aware of the manoeuvres required to arrange a friendly?

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2005, 12:34:58 AM »
i jus hope that we win the two games cyar handle losin to two club teams befor a WCQ
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2005, 07:27:48 AM »
will the same opinion hold, if it were a more recognised club team? say ah Boca Juniors, Barca, or even the EPL champions Chelsea.

Offline ironman

• Full Warrior
  • dont joke with u life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2005, 11:14:20 AM »
Good question rocwell,I once saw de break down of organizing friendlies and to put a long story short,no money no game,simple.The logistics can be difficult even with money.
 All this talk bout we eh good and nobody want to play we is bullsh**t,We are not the best but we are not the worst either,with correct planning and resources friendlies could be available.There are countries not at our level but have strong well planned federations.We cant even pay a proper TD or coach much less  card say a 10 month schedule of friendlies,we have a federation that cant properly run a nationwide domestic league or attract sponsors which I agree is difficult but some other school of thought needs to give it a shot,we dont have permanent youth programmes or coaches,no high preformance centers/acadamies yet the same folks running football for the last umpteen years.So no friendlies is as a result of much bigger problems.
tell them it was me

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2005, 11:54:26 AM »
To understand what's going on or why things are happening in Football is to understand the politics,football is all about money,the countries that have no money or don't want to spend money can't reach anywhere,do you know FIFA have to get a cut from every dollar a country makes with football,crowd or no crowd,i would like some one to go behind the scenes and give a report on what it takes to run football in the country.Football in T&T have about ten fully staffed offices and i guess every one that works there gets paid,have any one tried to find out how much that cost.     

1]; } ?>