April 20, 2024, 09:14:41 AM

Author Topic: FIFA ponders squad deadline delay  (Read 871 times)

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA ponders squad deadline delay
« on: March 01, 2006, 09:22:24 AM »
Found this on the BBC website.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/4762284.stm

FIFA ponders squad deadline delay  

FIFA could delay the deadline for World Cup squad selections following objections from England and Germany.

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson and Germany counterpart Jurgen Klinsmann have led the call for extra time before announcing their squads.

The present 15 May deadline falls before England's final warm-up games, and Eriksson and Klinsmann will raise the matter at a Fifa workshop.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said: "The matter is not ruled out."

England coach Eriksson claims he also has the backing of Holland boss Marco van Basten in a request to push the date back closer to the opening of the World Cup on 9 June.

The current deadline is more than three weeks before England's opener against Paraguay but also falls before the Champions League final.

England's last two warm-up matches before Eriksson names his 23-man party are against Hungary and Jamaica.

Eriksson said ahead of England's friendly with Uruguay: "The date is too early and I know a lot of other coaches are not happy with it.

"We will bring it up at the coaches workshop and I'm confident it will be changed."

Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Re: FIFA ponders squad deadline delay
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 09:26:47 AM »
I believe it should be pushed back too. We have all our friendly remaining in MAY
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know