April 29, 2024, 08:44:39 AM

Author Topic: No Latapy Comeback for T&T.  (Read 4862 times)

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
No Latapy Comeback for T&T.
« on: May 08, 2005, 11:06:04 PM »
No Russell Latapy comeback for T&T.
By: Lasana Liburd - Express.
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago football legend and ex-national captain Russell Latapy has turned down the opportunity to return to the international fold and will remain in Scotland to further his own career.
The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) selected the 36-year-old Latapy as an assistant coach to new national head coach Leo Beenhakker but the Dutchman preferred his own compatriots Theo de Jong and Wim Rijsbergen.
Beenhakker did offer Latapy and the 38-year-old David Nakhid, who was also earmarked for a coaching role by the T&TFF, the chance to try out as players but the Falkirk player/coach has reportedly declined.
Latapy could not be reached for comment but a Falkirk source revealed the player is not interested in an international comeback.
The ex-Porto, Hibernian and Glasgow Rangers playmaker told the press in an earlier interview he no longer felt able to do himself justice at international level and would not join Trinidad and Tobago for their 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign.
He is not short of challenges in Scotland.
The "Little Magician" played a starring role as Falkirk stormed to the Scottish Division One title and will focus on his duties at the club for the 2005/06 Scottish Premier League (SPL) season, which might be his final one as a player.
More relevantly, an international comeback could affect Latapy's position as Falkirk assistant coach, which he seems unwilling to sacrifice.
At present, Latapy coaches the Falkirk reserve team and could make history if he graduates to first team manager-as Brits refer to their head coach.
He will become the first Caribbean head coach in Britain and, almost certainly, Europe if he ever moves to the crest of the technical staff.
Latapy could also follow ex-Liverpool star John Barnes, who had a brief stint as Celtic manager, as the second black manager in the history of the SPL-Barnes is Jamaican-born but represented England at international level.
In England, there are just four black managers from 92 professional clubs at present despite the abundance of professional players of African descent.
Ex-CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh coach and Trinidad and Tobago Pro League "Coach of the Year" Ricky Hill was one of a few black coaches to lead an English professional team when he briefly steered his former club, Luton Town. Hill is also of Caribbean parentage.
Glasgow Rangers manager Alex McLeish told the Trinidad Express that Latapy had the charisma and knowledge to be an excellent coach, although he stopped short of endorsing him as a promising future manager.
McLeish introduced Latapy to the Scottish game when he signed him for Hibernian and once referred to the diminutive dribbler as the greatest player in the history of the Edinburgh club.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 05:29:44 AM by Flex »

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
Re: No Latapy Comeback for T&T
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 12:54:02 AM »
wat we as a country do this man that he aint go even come bk boy!!!!????

a helicopter to the airport??? it was his decision to go bk to smokeys an lime an lose he rangers contract

good riddents to bad rubish
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 05:11:03 AM »
Thanks Latapy for your contribution to T&T over the years ....and we wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Disappointing to see you turn down the opportunity but T&T will survive with or without you

Go Warriors Go !!!

Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: No Latapy Comeback for T&T.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 08:26:08 AM »

Latapy could not be reached for comment but a Falkirk source revealed the player is not interested in an international comeback.

this article hasnt told us anything new...falkirk dont want him on intl duty...until i hear from a direct latas quote that he doesnt want to play everything else is hearsay.
Hart for president

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 09:29:23 AM »
I think Latas is tired with T&T football if he wanted to play nothing would stop him,besides that he is in a position where what's best for him(future),he is given options by the club he is with,offers are being made,Yorke said it one time Fergie used to pressure him for going to play for T&T,i don't think clubs like it when these guys have to represent their country,i think that could be responsibly for the way our players play,they play not to get hurt,i don't know what kind of contracts they have but i feel these guys are threatened all the time,again look and see how easily they are being cut from teams.     

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 11:22:09 AM »
Thanks Latapy for your contribution to T&T over the years ....and we wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Disappointing to see you turn down the opportunity but T&T will survive with or without you

Go Warriors Go !!!

Ditto.  I suspect Latas reluctance have more to do with his relationship with Warner and the TTFF than anything.  Cowen said it all for me.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 11:24:02 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 01:42:02 PM »
We cud only speculate about why Latas not returning. We are not mind readers so let us not jump to conclusions. I personally think it was a wise decision. If at 36 the man feels that his body not able to be coming to and from T&T not as a coach but as a player, then to me that sounds reasonable as he said in an article a while ago. He wanted to come and assist as a coach to groom the younger guys and he also said that there are quality players on the team. So I see this as a blessing as it is letting some youth get a chance. When Latas was now becoming the prodigy at the start of his career we didnt want him to be in anyone's shadow. So if Latas think it is time to pass the torch, wer should respect the man's decision............Russell Latapy thank you for the service that you have provided to Trinidad & Tobago, I wish you the best at newly promoted Falkirk, and the best of luck in your future endeavours.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 07:04:55 PM »
In reply to Israel

Breds....yuh have to pick sense from nonsense.  Latas &/or he speechwriters bein politically correck and diplomatic.  Yuh sayin he eh tink he 36 year old body could handle de rigors but bet yuh bottom dollar he runnin out every possible match fuh Falkirk in de SPL nex season.  It eh have no more hectic league dan de SPL.  Dat is wile man central right dey....football at 200 mph.

Falkirk season done.  De only flyin back he go have to do is in Septemeber and November fuh dem games.

Basically latas sayin he would play fuh Falkirk but not T&T (or maybe in he mind, dat mean not play fuh Jack Warner).  Dat is de bottom line.  So I eh buyin dah "36 year old body" lyrics.  But respeck to Latas...he eh want to wash no linen in public and as ah say before....thanks fuh de contributions and great memories and good luck in de future.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 07:06:30 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 08:54:17 PM »
For goodness sake Latapy is 36 years old.  How much longer would he be playing for us anyway?  Are we incapable of playing respectably without Latapy?  He has a chance to make a smooth career transition from playing to coaching.  Wouldf he jeapordise this by coming to coach T&T?  Where we have an extremely cosistent record of firing coaches annually. Where he would be roasted for T&T inevitable failures (He would be torn to pieces by many on this forum ).   Where he would have to submit to the inept caretakers of Warner's totalitarian regime.  People want him to sacrifice his job security for that?

Personally, I'd like to see Latapy continue to solidify his coaching reputation in Europe (meaning actually become a head coach of one or more club(s)), where he can then take over the reigns in T&T some time in the future (years in the future), get fired after a year, and be able to move back to Europe and take up a job.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 12:51:10 AM »
rocwell, I glad for this decision, but read Palos and coops previous post.
Nobody have asked the man to dead and give up possible career for Country. They ask the man to play. Falkirk moved within their right, "go or else".
If ever there was a time he could take the chance to do that is now. Falkirk without Latapy, will soon be relegated, and they know that. So their main concern is injury, not his development as coach. Yuh think the name Latapy has already made for himself, he can't get a decent coaching job in Scotland or Potugal? Yuh think money and livelihood is an issue, all these years he was playing for free, and he now going to cash in?
I think not. Latapy chose a few years ago," enough is enough". I could understand that, ah not happy with it, but that is what it came too.
Is SPL bredda, one of the most physically demanding leagues in the world, and he starring. He that good.
It wasn't the future of T&T football we talking bout, it is competing in a few games to help find the "Road to Germany". Shim, he may not even had have to play, just showing some support would have gone some ways. Just personally talking to a few players. Just pointing the way to greatness to some of our aspiring youngsters, who willing to try.
I'm not , would never denigrate his greatness as a representative of T&T football in the past, however doh belittle people intelligence bout smooth transition to anything. In the sporting world it rarely has smooth transitions to anything. Even if yuh is a MJ, or closer to our sport, Pele, Maradona, Jurgen Klinsman, Berti Voigts. Everything is sacrifice. So now is our turn....though that is another topic..
For me, finally no more Hook 

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 02:53:31 AM »
Them men is pussies,,,, f**k Latapy we...

Falkirk should come last next season.... >:(
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 08:59:04 PM »

3 and 1/2 years later.
 Latapy have to play for Trinidad forever.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 09:01:45 PM »

3 and 1/2 years later.

fishs boy,

you dig up this one way from d archives
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 09:02:59 PM »

3 and 1/2 years later.

fishs boy,

you dig up this one way from d archives

Latapy is ah Icon and deserve a lil hard work.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Trini boi

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 09:09:46 PM »
Them men is pussies,,,, f**k Latapy we...

Falkirk should come last next season.... >:(

LOLLL at Sam and de 'sour' smiley face at the end...PRICELESS THREAD!!!

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 10:44:12 AM »
Sam, is you cussin Latas dey?  :o   Damn, ah ent look fuh yuh dey. Dem yardie and Guatemalan shoulda put some licks in yuh pueffen  ;D ;D
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 10:50:22 AM »
Fishs..... :applause: :applause:

Well done Mr. Latapy
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »
goood flash back
Born in SanDo