April 23, 2024, 04:34:55 PM

Author Topic: Marvin hoping to make history.  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marvin hoping to make history.
« on: March 14, 2005, 08:36:16 AM »
Marvin hoping to make history.
Glasgow Rangers FC.
[/size]

Dens Park hero Marvin Andrews has given the club a massive cup final boost by declaring himself fit and ready to face Motherwell next weekend.
The Trinidad & Tobago international broke the deadlock against Dundee yesterday with a bullet header in the 81st minute, but was then forced off after colliding heavily with Steve Lovell.
Big Marv took a kick to the back of his knee but immediately allayed any fears that it may put him out of the final after the 2-0 win.
Having lifted the trophy with Livingston last term, Andrews would become the first player to win the League Cup in consecutive seasons with different clubs, should the Light Blues overcome Motherwell on Sunday.
Marv said: "I will be fine for Hampden, don't worry about that. I just had to come off as a precaution.
"I prayed at church last night about it and I will be back training soon.
"There is no way I am going to miss this game!"
Rangers will need to produce a vastly improved performance next weekend if they are to clinch the CIS Cup after a lack lustre display at Dens Park yesterday.
But just as it looked like two points were going to be dropped Marvin popped up with a header, before Fernando Ricksen wrapped the game up with a tap in three minutes.
Andrews revealed: "The first goal was a long time coming for us and I am really happy to have scored it because I feel it was really important for the club.
"It began to look like we might drop more points after the draw with Caley Thistle last week.
"I was thinking that we were never going to score and, overall, it was a very poor game - it was windy, the pitch was not the best and it was freezing.
"Dundee were making great defensive blocks and it just was not falling for us.
"It was preying on the back of my mind that we were going to drop points. The time was ticking away.
"But we have great belief at Rangers and we kept knocking on the door and, thank God, I scored.
"We are simply focusing on what we have to do. We are not thinking about Celtic. We have eight cup finals left in this championship and it is in our hands."
Praise For Big Marv.
By: Stephen Kerr - Glasgow Rangers FC.

Alex McLeish branded Marvin Andrews 'a colossus' after the big defender grabbed a priceless late goal in Rangers' 2-0 win over Dundee at Dens Park this afternoon.
The giant Trinidadian rose superbly to head Fernando Ricksen's corner past Derek Soutar just nine minutes from time and the victory was secured moments later when Dutch ace Nando rifled home the second after good play from Dado Prso.
Sadly Marvin was taken off late in the game with a knee injury, following a clash with Steve Lovell, but the manager is optimistic the former Livi star will be fit for next Sunday's CIS Cup Final.
Alex told rangers.co.uk: "Marvin had to come off at the end with a knock and I don't want to make any rash statement at the moment but he was off the treatment table giving the boys his man of the match speech.
"I think it would take wild horses to drag him away from next weekend's CIS Cup Final.
"He did take a bad knock on the back of his left knee but we hope he will be ok because he has been colossal for us this season.
"We are looking forward to the game and it would be great to bring another piece of silverware back to Ibrox."
Today's match was not a classic but Alex knows winning is all that matters at the business end of the season.
He continued: "We have started games really well this season, gone a couple of goals up and won comfortably but they can't all pan out that way.
"Today's match was a tough one for us and Dado Prso and Nacho Novo didn't have much change out of the Dundee defenders.
"But we kept plugging away, put a lot of dangerous crosses into their box and big Marvin got on the end of Fernando Ricksen's great delivery to score a good goal.
"Fernando's corner deserved someone on the end of it. It was great to see the big fellow attacking it so well.
"Fernando wrapped up the points a few minutes later after good work from Dado and it came at the right time for us.
"We could have been a lot sharper today that is for sure but we have won and that is the main thing at this stage of the season."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 04:41:17 PM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Marvin hoping to make history
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 08:48:20 AM »
Saw Marvin's goal last night on highlights.  Very reminiscent of Terry's goal for Chelsea against Barca.  Only difference...nobody was holding back the Dundee goalie from trying to save the ball.. ;)

Very good goal.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 04:31:13 PM »
the barca goalie was shit anyway. he wouldnt have saved it if it was headed right at him...big up big marv.
Hart for president

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 03:31:16 AM »
Boy, Marvin is a true soldier.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>