April 28, 2024, 11:12:33 PM

Author Topic: Leo Beenhakker's door almost closed.  (Read 4864 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Leo Beenhakker's door almost closed.
« on: March 02, 2006, 05:49:46 AM »
Brent Sancho move off.
Gillingham FC.

Gillingham chairman Paul Scally has recalled defender Brent Sancho back to Priestfield after talks with Swansea City turned sour. Sancho, who was on the verge of a two-month loan spell with the Swans, will remain with Gillingham after the deal collapsed with the Gills chief heaping heavy criticism on the Welsh Club.
Mr Scally is criticising Swansea of trying to change the deal, which the two club's had previously agreed.
Speaking to the Club's Official website Mr. Scally said: "We had agreed a deal with Swansea yesterday that would have seen Brent join them on loan.
"But they now want to renege on that deal and quite frankly I'm furious with them for not honouring their word, and Brent will be returning to Gillingham with immediate effect."
Mr Scally added: "We will not get caught out again in any further dealings with them."
Avery aims to shut out those Beckham crosses.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

A year ago, he might not have set his sights on trying to prevent David Beckham from swinging crosses into T&T’s danger area but now the New England Revolution man Avery John is months away from carrying the responsibility of such a role.
As a former Irish-based left back with Shelbourne United and Longford Town, John was far from facing the likes of Beckham and Wayne Rooney but, having kept his place in the T&T side throughout the qualifiers and then put on a tidy performance in the Tuesday’s 2-0 win over Iceland, John is looking ahead to bigger things.
“To be honest, it won’t just be Beckham – (Steven) Gerrard and (Frank) Lampard can also drift out to the right because their midfield tends to be quite fluid.
And that’s not to mention Rooney dropping deep as well,” said John with a wry smile.
“I find it difficult to put into words quite how incredible the feeling was when we made it,” he said.
“There would be absolutely no point in our going if we were just happy to be making up the numbers,” he told the Royal Gazette.
“Since the new coach came in, we’ve generally been a very tough, organised team and we will not be easy to beat. Apart from Dwight (Yorke) we don’t have any really big names, so it is a case of working hard as a unit. I think we’ll do better than people expect.
There is a huge amount of pressure on teams like England to do well and if they do not beat us easily, their fans and the media will criticise them. So we will go into the match as underdogs, which could work to our advantage.”
Meantime, Silvio Spann remained in London after the 2-0 win over Iceland to negotiate a contract and is now training with an unnamed club. “The coach said I need to be playing and I fully understand that, so I’m looking forward to getting a done deal and playing regularly again,” Spann said.
News from the 7th of March 2006.

Pro Players Round-Up.
By: Flex Mohammed.
[/size]

Leeds ready to swoop Samuel.
Leeds United manager Kevin Blackwell is ready to swoop for Trinidad & Tobago star Collin Samuel on loan after being priced out of a move for Didier Agathe. Blackwell has turned to the Dundee United midfielder who was once linked to English giants Arsenal and Everton because Celtic misfit Agathe refused to accept a wage cut. Samuel, 24, is set to be part of the Trinidad squad facing England, Sweden and Paraguay in the World Cup. Samuel played an instrumental role in T&T's 2-0 win over Iceland last week and left coach Leo Beenhakker impressed.

Yorke & Samuel could be team-mates once again.
Aston Villa boss David O'Leary watched Yorke score twice from midfield for Trinidad & Tobago against Iceland last week and press reports yesterday stated the Irishman is keen to bring him back to Villa Park. Yorke has a year left on his contract at Sydney but has reportedly appealed to the English FA to give him special permission to join an English club outside the January transfer window. An option open to Yorke would be to end his contract with Sydney and make himself a free agent.
Yorke says he is unsure whether he will continue to play in the A-League next season, despite having another year remaining on his contract. Yorke overcame a slow start to play a major role in Sydney's 1-0 victory over the Central Coast Mariners in Sunday's A-League grand final. "I have got a contract with Sydney FC for the next year," he said. "Whether that exists now I'm not sure. I can honestly say anything could happen within that period of time but as far as I know, I'm contracted to be back here next season."

Kenwyne Jones set for new deal.
Kenwyne Jones is close to signing a new contract with Southampton Football Club. The 21-year-old has agreed a three-year contract with the St Mary’s club, and is expected to pen the deal when he returns from international action with Trinidad & Tobago.
"Kenwyne has agreed in principle to sign a contract extension with us until June 2009," said Saints chairman Rupert Lowe. After initially failing to make the breakthrough with the club, Jones has been given a chance under new boss George Burley and has bagged two goals in his last six outings. The former W Connection plaayer was a second half substitute for Stern John in last weeks 2-0 win over Iceland.

Norville put one on Lawrence.
T&T forgotten striker Jason Norville came up big for his club Barnet FC when he put his side ahead with an unstoppable drive from the edge of the penalty area half hour into the game against Wrexham over the weekend. Wrexham overturned a two-goal deficit to steal a 2-2 draw and T&T's defender Dennis Lawrence could do nothing to stop the powerful Norville drive. The former Watford man rounded a Wrexham defender, but when Wrexham's Danny Williams' attempted clearance struck Norville, Norville had the luck of seeing the loose ball before firing a hard shot over the advancing Ingham. Norville could have had two goals but Wrexham keeper Michael Ingham came up big to deny Norville eight minutes into the game, the Irish keeper fumbled the ball, although he more than made up for his mistake by producing a great point blank save to deny Jason Norville. Both Dennis Lawrence and Jason Norville saw full action for their respected teams. Norville, capped once for T&T, September 2003 in a 2-0 defeat to Morocco in, Morocco. A game that many past T&T players participated in such as Evans Wise, Peter Prosper, Travis Mulraine, Reynold Carrington, Stokely Mason and Dale Saunders. Norville started alongside Stern John ontop and was substitute in the second half.

Kelvin Jack almost fit again.
Dundee will play two games in under 48 hours next week after the Scottish League management committee refused to delay their weekend fixture against Airdrie United by 24 hours.
Injury-plagued goalkeeper Kelvin Jack could be back in the Dundee side when part one of the Dens Park double header against Hamilton takes place on Saturday. And, even if he does not make the league date, Dundee boss Alan Kernaghan expects the Trinidad and Tobago international to be back in his squad for the all-important Scottish Cup replay. The former San Juan Jabloteh keeper has been plagued by knee trouble since October and his latest problems have seen him miss the last two games.
He has, though, been making good progress in training this week and might just be ready to take over from teenager Scott Murray at the weekend. “Kelvin’s got a chance and, even if he does not quite make it, I think he will be ready by early next week, so he should be available for the cup-tie,” said Alan.
Brent Sancho revives World Cup dream.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago defender Brent Sancho's 2006 World Cup dreams got a massive boost yesterday when England League One club Swansea offered a rescue package to the out-of-favour Gillingham employee. Sancho moves from relegation-threatened Gillingham to third-placed Swansea, who are pushing for automatic promotion to England's Championship Division, on a two-month loan deal that can become permanent this summer if player and club are happy.
Yesterday morning, Sancho was ordered to train with Gillingham's youth team for the first time by manager Ronnie Jepson. A voice message confirming Swansea's interest was on his cellular phone after training. Within hours, Sancho packed and started a four-hour drive to the Wales-based club.
"God is great," said Sancho. "Today was my lowest point and then this happened. God works in mysterious ways."
The loan move could also salvage Sancho's place in the World Cup squad. The defender looked on from the stand last Tuesday at Lostus Road, London where Trinidad and Tobago whipped Iceland 2-0 in an international friendly.
Sancho spoke to national coach Leo Beenhakker after the game and was told he must play regular first team football or risk missing out on the Germany World Cup.
"Of course I was afraid (to miss out on the World Cup)," said Sancho. "I definitely had that fear of missing out, although I feel I should be on the team.
"I don't just want to make up the numbers either. I want to be a starter and help put Trinidad and Tobago and myself on the map."
It was Sancho's desperation to represent the "Soca Warriors" that got him in trouble at Gillingham in the first place.
He was still recovering from injury when T&T's first leg fixture against Bahrain loomed on November 12 last year. Gillingham chairman Paul Scally said he was not ready. Sancho went anyway.
Beenhakkar did not use Sancho in the two-legged World Cup Play Off, but Scally insisted he would never play for Gillingham again.
There was a subsequent five-match stretch when Sancho returned to Gillingham's starting line-up after Scally claimed to receive an apology from the player behind closed doors. But the truce lasted only as long as it took for first choice central defenders Chris Hope and national teammate Ian Cox to recover from injury.
Sancho said he was adjudged Man of the Match in his last outing on January 10-a 2-1 defeat at Barnsley-before being cut from the squad again with the return of Cox. He spent the last two months travelling to matches and looking on from the stands.
Yesterday, it got worse when Sancho was told to train with the youth team. He admitted his last two months at the club were mentally taxing.
"I was starting to loss my vibes for the game," said the former Dundee player, "because I am at a club where, no matter how hard I train, I will never play.
"The funny thing is that, in terms of supporters and accommodation, Gillingham is one of my best clubs ever. It is not a case where I was happy to sit down and take the money."
Sancho is excited at the chance to restart his career at Swansea, particularly as the club is on the verge of promotion. The Trinidad and Tobago player was summoned after the club lost their two regular central defenders to injury and hopes to make the most of the opportunity.
He could go straight into the Swansea line-up tonight for their LDV Vans Cup Semi-Final against Colchester. "My ultimate goal is to make the starting team at Swansea," said Sancho, "and help them make automatic promotion. I also want to make and start for Trinidad and Tobago at the World Cup."
News form the 6th of March 2006.

Brent Sancho ready for loan exit.
By Alan Dudman.

Gillingham defender Brent Sancho has revealed he is desperate for first team football, in a bid to keep his World Cup dream alive. The 28-year-old Trinidad and Tobago international, currently out of favour at the Priestfield, has exclusively told clubcall that he would be prepared to go out on loan in order to make Leo Beenhakker's squad for the summer showpiece in Germany.
The former Dundee star has not featured for the Gills since early January against Barnsley, and has revealed his frustration at not playing.
"I thought I was doing well, but I haven't played since then," Sancho told clubcall.
"Obviously the coach (Ronnie Jepson) has his opinion and his preference and it is kind of difficult that I'm doing well in training and practising hard.
"But when it comes to Saturday you don't get a look-in - it makes it a difficult pill to swallow.
"From a player perspective you want to play every Saturday and that is why you play the sport."
"We haven't had good results lately so you hope you may get the chance to come in and help the team and do your best for the club, it's hard sitting on the bench or in the stands and not being able to contribute.
"I love playing for Gillingham, the fans have been terrific with me, even though I am not playing, they still cheer me up and have positive things to say about me.
"They have been so supportive of me and to be fair they have taken to me like I have been here for years."
Sancho, who has over 40 international caps, believes the lack of first team action may cost him his place in Trinidad and Tobago's squad for this summer's 2006 World Cup, and may consider leaving on loan.
Trinidad coach Leo Beenhakker has overlooked Sancho for the recent international friendlies but has indicated he hasn't closed the door on any player trying to make the squad for Germany, stating they need to be playing on a regular basis to make the final cut.
"The bigger picture is the World Cup - you want to keep fit mentally and physically and of course you have a big goal and it's extremely difficult.
"I want to be part of the World Cup. I've worked hard and contributed a lot to Trinidad football in terms of years of service and playing.
"And now the team has reached the big stage you want to be performing as well.
"Not playing, and not being part of the Gillingham squad is going to hamper me in making the team.
"It has become a desperate situation, I am desperate to play anywhere, just to get some football and get going again.
"There was a couple of opportunities to go out on loan but they never materialised for whatever reason. I am hoping something happens where the right loan move comes about.
"I have had a chat with Leo Beenhakker and he understands my situation. At the same time I need to get playing, it has put me in a frantic state to get things sorted soon and start playing, getting back to a Saturday routine and that match fitness.
"In an ideal world I would love to be playing at Gillingham as I couldn't ask for a better set of fans, they are always so supportive.
"I want to contribute and fight against relegation and I am desperate to play.
"All respect to the gaffer, he has his choice and I respect that. It is his decision but I am fit and raring to go."
Beenhakker: coaching Holland no different to T&T.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Leo Beenhakker has stated that coaching the Holland national team is no different a job than coaching the Soca Warriors. Beenhakker was responding to questions from a Swedish journalist at a recent Welcome to Germany reception which was held to congratulate T&T on qualifying for the World Cup at the Hilton Trinidad prior to their departure for the friendly match against Iceland.
The Soca Warriors won the match 2-0 on goals on either side of the half-time whistle from captain Dwight Yorke.
The 62-year-old Dutchman who will lead T&T to its first ever World Cup appearance from June 9 to July 9 in Germany said, “I don’t see any difference in coaching the two teams.
“Only the quality in some of the players are different. At the end of the day football is the name of the game and that’s what everyone tries to play out on the field.
Quizzed as to what his team tactics will be against Sweden when the Soca Warriors open their Group B World Cup campaign in Germany on June 10, the T&T coach replied: “At the moment we don’t know, but I can tell you just as Sweden will be watching during our warm-up matches, we will be looking at them.”
“I will let you know on the eve of the match in Germany.”
Asked what he knows about the Swedish team and if he was looking forward to his re-union with protégé Zlatan Ibrahimovic the former Real Madrid and Ajax coach said: “I know several of the players from club football while I was responsible for discovering him.
“I did not see him (Zlatan) play any club matches at Ajax, but during the training sessions with then youth team he showed a lot of talent.
News from the 2nd of March 2006.

Leo Beenhakker's door almost closed.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

National coach Leo Beenhakker has made it clear that he will not close the door on any player trying to get on the team for the 2006 World Cup but has hinted that he may just have already seen the men who will represent the smallest nation ever at the finals.
On Tuesday, he saw for the first time, Ricky Shakes, goalie Anthony Warner and former St Anthony's College player Kevon Neaves while two others - Anthony Noreiga and Nigel Henry did not leave the places on the bench.
But with FIFA now stating that it may consider delaying the deadline for the final submission of World Cup final squads to after May 15, Beenhakker, despite this, seems to be firm on his selections up to now.
"There will be no new guys. We have seen everybody," he said replying to questions over Bobby Zamora and Jlloyd Samuel.
"We have done a lot of searching and we have seen all the guys. At the same time, the door is not closed on any player," he added and those statements would have come as good news for the missing Brent Sancho, Jason Scotland, Cornell Glen, Ian Cox, Atiba Charles, Scott Sealy and Densill Theobald who were not considered for the Iceland match.
"At the same time I have said that we have to protect the guys who did the job of getting us to the World Cup. They have done a wonderful job and now while all the players will go back to their clubs and take care of themselves and play and train we also in the technical staff will do our part and do everything possible to ensure we have the best squad of 23 players for the World Cup," Beenhakker told TTFF Media.
Having already drawn up his list, he is expected to make public a provisional squad of maybe 28 players in due course and will continue to look at T&T's overseas-based pros in coming months, already stressing to his players that they must continue to maintain their fitness and keep on playing. "And by that I don't mean staying free from injury but I mean to keep yourselves well and keep active. It helps a lot to do more on your own as well apart from what you all are doing with your clubs as professionals," he said.
He also introduced European-based manager Hans Hagelstein to the team at the Renaissance Hotel on Tuesday, describing him as the man who will serve the team well because of his knowledge and experience of the wherabouts in Europe and he expects him to work well along with current team manager Bruce Aanensen and assistant George Joseph.
Hagelstein will take up duty with the team from it's England-based training camp in mid-May. Before that, the team will reassemble in Port of Spain on May 7 for its friendly with Peru on May 10.
"Thank you very much for the effort. It was a pleasing victory and we will be together again for the match against Peru in May," he added.
Coventry City striker Stern John, though missing a first half sitter was pleased with the win and the return to goalscoring form for country by Yorke.
"It's great to see him scoring again and it felt even better with the way we pulled it off as a team. For a long time we haven't held control for such a long part of the game and come away with the win. The coach seems satisfied but at the same time he let us know that there's more hard work to come and we must be prepared to go the distance," John told TTFF Media.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 03:23:54 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Leo Beenhakker's door almost closed.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 06:40:00 AM »
Coventry City striker Stern John, though missing a first half sitter was pleased with the win and the return to goalscoring form for country by Yorke.
"It's great to see him scoring again and it felt even better with the way we pulled it off as a team. For a long time we haven't held control for such a long part of the game and come away with the win. The coach seems satisfied but at the same time he let us know that there's more hard work to come and we must be prepared to go the distance," John told TTFF Media.

In fact Stern missed 2 good chances in dat game!

He missed the cross from Samuel that Yorke showed him how to put away!

Then he missed the sitter that fell to him in middle of 1st half that he kicked over the bar (he was unmarked and should have calmly put that one away.

But to make up for his big miss Stern created that penalty that Yorke scored when he fell over as he usually does inside the penalty area after getting a slight push from an Icelander (Stern 'bound to fall' John).

As fLeX does say Stern is Stern he will miss one or two or three sitters but will score the more difficult goal out of nothing when our backs are against the wall. Stern is heartache but he played a crucial role in getting us this far!!  8)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 06:42:51 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 06:49:09 AM »
I remember those two chances but I wouldnt say it was  sitters the second one samuel deliver with some real pace....stern made a decent effort to slide in on it  and the one he hit over bar I actually thought he did well to bring it down and get off a shot in two touches because a defender in front of him must have affected his sight of the ball....room for improvement but he looks lil better than Ive seen him in some other games but I liked what samuel brought to the team the first half  was decent

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 06:52:47 AM »
Like you miss the one when Avery took a free kick and it land on Stern foot and he hit over bar..

As SP said, Stern save the day when it counted. So no love lost....

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 07:23:11 AM »
Let's not start to get on Stern case again please. We won as a team, yes we could have been up by 3 or 4 but we won. When it really counts I am sure he will be ready.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 07:37:15 AM »
Let's not start to get on Stern case again please. We won as a team, yes we could have been up by 3 or 4 but we won. When it really counts I am sure he will be ready.

Excatly who on Stern case ?
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 07:57:55 AM »
I am happy that the doors are not already closed. However, i think we should name a 28 man squad asap for camp.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 08:50:43 AM »

I want to be on Stern's case, because good habits are cultivated.  He must always try to score, not just in the big games only.  A striker must always make it his habit to score.  From what I saw, he put himself in some good positions to score , but did  not finish.  He's been looking much sharper and clinical lately though (for his club), and that's a good sign.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 09:00:39 AM »

I want to be on Stern's case, because good habits are cultivated. He must always try to score, not just in the big games only. A striker must always make it his habit to score. From what I saw, he put himself in some good positions to score , but did not finish. He's been looking much sharper and clinical lately though (for his club), and that's a good sign.

So what you tryinig to say? You think that he doesn't try to score in every game?  ???
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

TrinInfinite

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 09:19:38 AM »
beenhakker cant leave out sancho, glen, theobald, they were there right thru

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 09:50:07 AM »
beenhakker cant leave out sancho, glen, theobald, they were there right thru

I don't think he going to ...... he just said no one new will be added
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

1]; } ?>