April 27, 2024, 05:24:26 AM

Author Topic: First Time a Duo Win Road March in Carnival History  (Read 2072 times)

TrinInfinite

First Time a Duo Win Road March in Carnival History
« on: March 02, 2006, 11:04:15 PM »
From my records this is the first time a duo has won road march, for the last 50 years or more it has been by an individual.

However, the instrumentation at the beginning of the song band of the year is a sample from a pop tune and also the melody patrice is singing, which should have ruled them out of road march bc of the originality rule that was introduced by TUCO 2 years ago and stipulates you cant sample other music, it must be original to win competition and Road March, this was the reason I never entered one of my road march tunes bc it borrowed from an existing melody of another artist.

??? ??? ??? so this being the case, how machel and patrice win, strange that the rule wasnt enforced and how come the other artists didn't complain?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: First Time a Duo Win Road March in Carnival History
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 01:02:21 AM »
From my records this is the first time a duo has won road march, for the last 50 years or more it has been by an individual.

However, the instrumentation at the beginning of the song band of the year is a sample from a pop tune and also the melody patrice is singing, which should have ruled them out of road march bc of the originality rule that was introduced by TUCO 2 years ago and stipulates you cant sample other music, it must be original to win competition and Road March, this was the reason I never entered one of my road march tunes bc it borrowed from an existing melody of another artist.

??? ??? ??? so this being the case, how machel and patrice win, strange that the rule wasnt enforced and how come the other artists didn't complain?

U does keep records?  Interesting.

As for the samplin thing, the reason other artistes eh complain is because they understand the rule.  Have a look...

Band of the Year, which was sung by Patrice Roberts and Machel Montano, has copped the 2006 Tuco/Digicel/CT 105 FM Road March award.

The winners walked away with a car sponsored by CT 105 FM.

The song was played 334 times on Carnival Monday and Tuesday, the highest tally in the competition for several years.

Coming in a distant second was Shurwayne Winchester’s Ah can’t wait, played 98 times and Montano’s Dilirious was played 91 times.

The announcement, which was made by Tuco president Michael Legerton during a press conference yesterday, brought with it questions on whether or not the song was sampled from Enya’s Caribbean Blue.

Only last week, Tuco had announced, in its update of the Road March rules, that “calypsoes that depend on samples or adaptation of existing melodies shall not be eligible and will not be considered in the Road March competition.”

However, Legerton said he spoke to a number of musicologists and even consulted a lawyer on the matter.

“Based on the international laws, which tells you that eight bars of any song can be used by anybody, we have checked it and we couldn’t come up with eight bars being used,” he said.

“Seeing that is not the case, the song becomes eligible as a Road March contender and eventual winner.”

The Tuco president said the organisation would not place an entire ban on sampling in future, but called on the younger artistes to be more creative.

“Let us learn to create melodies, because we can go back as far as and take all the Road March coming forward and you are hardly likely to find any sampling until very recently,” Legerton said.

“I have no problems with the youth experimenting, but you have to know how far we can go with that and what the end result is likely to be.”

He said an incentive will be put into future competitions for the road march song which has no sampling.

“So that way, if people want to be in the money, they are going to know they have to cut out sampling otherwise no way,” he said.

Few questions for you...

1 - Have you ever heard the song "Caribbean Blue" before?

2 - Have you ever heard Band of the Year?  Did you hear the pop tune before you heard Band of the Year?

3 - If your answers to #2 & 3 are affirmative...when you heard Band of the Year, did you immediately say....wheeeeyyys....dat Band of the Year tune sound familiar boy...ah think it sound like dah pop tune.

Should you choose to respond, please try and be honest with your answers.

Thanx.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 01:11:46 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

TrinInfinite

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 08:49:40 AM »

As for the samplin thing, the reason other artistes eh complain is because they understand the rule.  Have a look...

Band of the Year, which was sung by Patrice Roberts and Machel Montano, has copped the 2006 Tuco/Digicel/CT 105 FM Road March award.

The song was played 334 times on Carnival Monday and Tuesday, the highest tally in the competition for several years.

Coming in a distant second was Shurwayne Winchester’s Ah can’t wait, played 98 times and Montano’s Dilirious was played 91 times.

The announcement, which was made by Tuco president Michael Legerton during a press conference yesterday, brought with it questions on whether or not the song was sampled from Enya’s Caribbean Blue.

Only last week, Tuco had announced, in its update of the Road March rules, that “calypsoes that depend on samples or adaptation of existing melodies shall not be eligible and will not be considered in the Road March competition.”

However, Legerton said he spoke to a number of musicologists and even consulted a lawyer on the matter.

“Based on the international laws, which tells you that eight bars of any song can be used by anybody, we have checked it and we couldn’t come up with eight bars being used,” he said.

“Seeing that is not the case, the song becomes eligible as a Road March contender and eventual winner.”

The Tuco president said the organisation would not place an entire ban on sampling in future, but called on the younger artistes to be more creative.

“Let us learn to create melodies, because we can go back as far as and take all the Road March coming forward and you are hardly likely to find any sampling until very recently,” Legerton said.

“I have no problems with the youth experimenting, but you have to know how far we can go with that and what the end result is likely to be.”

He said an incentive will be put into future competitions for the road march song which has no sampling.

“So that way, if people want to be in the money, they are going to know they have to cut out sampling otherwise no way,” he said.

Few questions for you...

2 - Have you ever heard Band of the Year?  Did you hear the pop tune before you heard Band of the Year?

3 - If your answers to #2 & 3 are affirmative...when you heard Band of the Year, did you immediately say....wheeeeyyys....dat Band of the Year tune sound familiar boy...ah think it sound like dah pop tune.

Thanx.

No i have never heard caribbean blue, but I have heard band of the year and the pop song there borrowing from i also heard but i can't remember the name, i have a very good ear for music my friend, sitting down with some the great artists from trinidad and talking with them they were amazed by my ear for music, band of the year is a sample, but is within the 8 bars bc I listened to it, but its still a sample and comes very close to to getting disqualified, just over 4 bars but just under 8 bars, machel and patrice come close.

Now I have some questions for you?

1.) did u know it was sampled?

2.) did u know about the rule?

3.) Have you ever composed a song in your life?

4.) can you even sing a note?

5.) have you ever released a song in your life?

6.) have you ever met any or been surrounded by our great artists? if so who?

7.) Are you a member of TUCO? bc I am

please respond honestly, bc I am an artist and I am a member of our calypso fraternity.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 08:51:57 AM by TrinInfinite »

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 09:17:46 AM »

Few questions for you...

Thanx.
Well done PALOS a lot of people criticise the tune as soon as it was suggested that it was sampled. I personally never heard Caribbean Blue but I absolutely love Band of the Year.
My thing is this, the Road March tunes should capture the essence that is carnival, appeal to the spirit and pride of the country. Super Blue had that gift of tapping in to that one thing that got everyone moving. Rudder, Tambu all did that same thing.
People complain about them singing ta ta these days and that might be true to some degree but change is inevitable. Band of the Year captures all the aspects of Carnival that we experience for those two days, Destra does it year after year and she gets looked over, but when those parties come which tunes get the most response. I have seen grannies tapping their feet to those songs and that speaks volumes.
Trindad and Tobago need to celebrate the fact that all our music give you a good feeling and it's happy feel good music and is unique to the world and that is something to feel proud about
Machel, Patrice, Destra, Faye Ann all yuh do all yuh thing yes, I go be jumping and waving all the way to Germany and beyond

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 09:54:13 AM »
up to yesterday I never even heard of the Enya...wen ah see de name ah tought was some kinda medical procedure...but in any case I knew about the sampling rule ting...and if I'm not mistaken it was due to Machel self why dis rule came into place for Foot Steps...den again ah could be wrong).

I was hearing dat it was sample and did not qualify for road march... i agree with this decision.... until Protector come and give the reason why it qualify....so Kernal played within the rules and de chune win.

In the perfect world I would love tuh always hear only original music win whatever competitions dat we have during carnival time.... but say wha!

Once again true true Trinbagonian creativity, Kernal show he bloodline and cameup with good chune. Ah mean tuh say...taking dah piece ah music and creating Band of the Year, is KLASSIC!

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 10:27:42 AM »
If nothing was mentioned of the sampling issue we all would have been none the wiser and the tune would have won anyway. So like I said before celebrate the contribution we make to the world and let's move on.
I feel Patrice should have won it last year with BUNJI for Islands, which is now used in a commercial to promote the country

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 12:04:21 PM »
this was the reason I never entered one of my road march tunes bc it borrowed from an existing melody of another artist.

all of dem is shit, scandal only part which is good is de chorus and yea yea yea, diz it

and yet yuh quick tuh critahsize dem fellahs for what dey do....yuh call yuhself ah musician....yuh eh put out someting for we tuh hear, yuh borrowing from other tuh spice up yuh music..... boss people in glass house shouldnt pelt bokkle

TrinInfinite

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 12:41:34 PM »
this was the reason I never entered one of my road march tunes bc it borrowed from an existing melody of another artist.

all of dem is shit, scandal only part which is good is de chorus and yea yea yea, diz it

and yet yuh quick tuh critahsize dem fellahs for what dey do....yuh call yuhself ah musician....yuh eh put out someting for we tuh hear, yuh borrowing from other tuh spice up yuh music..... boss people in glass house shouldnt pelt bokkle

dat is the one and only song i used a melody line, but guess what i didnt release it, machel use my song title for his song the following year, but i neva released the tune, so what u talkin about? 99% of my songs are originals, no borrowing and ting, creativity is boss

TrinInfinite

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 11:58:14 PM »
juss remembered i did hear caribbean blue,i listen 2 so much music, sometimes yuh 4get, it is an exact copy from kernel, he need tuh start makin he own tunes up yes, schupss, i listened 2 enya and honestly from a musical standpoint machel and dem really shouldnt have won de road, scandal should have won by default oui

1]; } ?>