April 27, 2024, 05:33:40 AM

Author Topic: Shaka Hislop delays national return.  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Shaka Hislop delays national return.
« on: May 10, 2005, 03:16:03 AM »
Shaka Hislop delays national return.
By: Lasana Liburd.

Praises Maurice's work as goalkeeper coach.
Trinidad and Tobago's Shaka Hislop is likely to delay his return to the international fold until he takes care of his professional career in England.
The 36-year-old goalkeeper was released by English Premier League club Portsmouth on Friday and said he wants to sort out his career before he links up with new national coach Leo Beenhakker.
"I have a wife and four kids," said Hislop, "and it is difficult to leave here and leave my family at this point in time without knowing where my future lies. I have already told the manager my concerns and he said they would be relayed to the new coach and they would get back to me."
Hislop was optimistic about landing a role as a player/goalkeeping coach at Portsmouth after being tipped for the vacant post, but was disappointed to be released by the south coast club that he helped steer into the Premiership as a player.
"I am in a position of my own making really," he said, "because I felt I would be offered a contract by the club and now I am left with nothing lined up. So I would really like to sort something out first."
Hislop collected his European Goalkeeping "B" badge yesterday and revealed his ambition to work as a coach in his homeland.
"I think the one thing I lacked growing up in Trinidad was a proper goalkeeping coach," said the ex-Reading, Newcastle and West Ham custodian. "I only got proper coaching when I signed professional forms for Reading so it was a case of playing catch-up for me.
"I think we have produced a lot of good natural goalkeepers in Trinidad and Tobago and I feel that we can produce so much better ones with proper coaching. So it is something that I promised myself to help with in the future."
However, Hislop said the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) already possess an excellent goalkeeping coach in former "Strike Squad" standout, Michael "Brow" Maurice, and he hopes the Federation appreciate the value of their employee.
"First and foremost, I think Maurice brings good experience to the table which is very important," Hislop said. "Despite the club exposure that myself and (Clayton) Ince might have, to have someone around like Maurice who has been there and done it in terms of international competition is great. I think he also has a wealth of experience in technical areas.
"It is a fantastic asset to have and I know he has certainly helped me."
Ashdown eager to pay tribute to Hislop.
T&T Express Reports.

Portsmouth goalkeeper Jamie Ashdown has paid tribute to the part veteran Shaka Hislop has played in his success this season even though he has taken his place as first choice at Fratton Park.
Ashdown, who like Hislop has also played for Reading, aims to hang onto his place for next season.
But he was glowing in his praise of Hislop.
Ashdown admitted: "It's like he's been out there in goal with me at times during matches.''
Ashdown, 24, revealed Hislop had been hugely supportive of his progress, both on the training pitch and as a teammate.
His words came last week as Pompey were about to decide whether to give a new contract to Hislop, who was first choice for nearly three seasons before Ashdown was given his chance last November. Hislop was subsequently released by Portsmouth last Friday.
Hislop, 35, had not played for the first team since January, and three Coca-Cola Championship clubs are said to want him.
Ashdown added: "My own aim is to stay as first choice and then still be first choice when we come back for pre-season.
"It would be amazing when you think I came here only last summer. I didn't really expect to play any games and I really came in only because of an injury to Shaka in November.
"Shaka's been great. He's been so supportive, which not all goalkeepers in his position would have been. Some might sulk and not support the person who'd displaced them.
"He has given me advice but it's not just that. It is that he's been a normal person around me and has not been making it awkward.
"It's been difficult for him because he's only really lost his place once in his career before, when Shay Given came in at Newcastle.
"But with me coming in as an unproven goalkeeper, he's been great. I didn't expect to get my chance to establish myself as early as this but you have to take these opportunities when they arise.''
With the change of manager at Pompey, Ashdown has found himself first pick despite the signing of Greek custodian Kostas Chalkias.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 03:38:57 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shaka Hislop delays national return.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 10:55:27 AM »
Yuh kno with all the time and devotion Shaka invested there, I didn't think he an all woulda get used up and spit out like chewing gum too. Every club he went do it, buh ah never tort Portsmouth...wow..
Everybody turn does come, buh Shaka deserve better, and better will come for him, ah pray for that one too.

Offline KND

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 01:03:30 PM »
This is not a big deal Shaka would have know he was on the Chopping block. If clubs want to keep you they do not let the contact run out.

The issue is that Rednapp Quit partly because The owner did not want to do want Rednap wanted in terms who and how much to give contracts to.

But shaka have nothing to worry about If southhampton are going to sell Niemi for big bucks and Shaka may get to be the replacement.

Many other teams in Premiership and first division would be interested in his services as well.

That said he is coming to the end of his career so World Cup should be his main focus, 

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 06:12:13 PM »
It appears that some of our foriegn based players are in the same predicament. Some have different issues to worry about ( wife family) others are coming back to battle. A good showing in WCQ may be the next  passage to a decent MEAL TICKET.

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 08:13:29 PM »
That said he is coming to the end of his career so World Cup should be his main focus,

Obviosly Shaka is putting himself before his country, what selfish behaviour.

1]; } ?>