April 25, 2024, 06:42:42 PM

Author Topic: A closer look to better understand Leo, Alvin and TI.  (Read 12066 times)

truetrini

Re: A closer look to better understand Leo, Alvin and TI.
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
In Brazil, there are many more people..many, many, many more.   Football is also a way of life in Brazil..that is NOT true in T&T.

When one considers the size of Brazil to the size of T&T and den equates the amount of crime in T&t to that of Brazil..it should make any trini ashamed.

While we are no where close to the crime in Brazil, we have no reason to feel smug.

It seems that instaed of emulating Brazilian success in football we strive to emulate their more dubious crime record.

Anyway, football is religion in Brazil in T&T it is a game.

Offline Girl Warrior

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2006, 05:29:51 PM »
Money, proper management and general support are the most important issues that if looked at properly can turn things around for the PFL. I guess in time we'll see. It hurts to know that the stadia are empty when these matches are in progress. That's something that everyone can help with; supporters showing up. I hope it starts to improve from now and forward. Of course we know these issues stated may not stop locals from migrating to foreign clubs, I mean if opportunity knocks...
Palos, I agree with your comments on Beenie.
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall... Che Guevara

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2006, 05:42:51 PM »
i tell you this...any coach with the statue and reputation of someone like Leo Beenhakker will not tolerate any quota bullshit

top coaches will always insist that they, and they alone, decide who's selected for the national team and they won't give a damn whether that player plies his trade abroad or in T+T

if Uncle Jack or anyone else from the TTFF was to start interferring with Beenie's selections, Beenie will quit and then where will we be....

that is the one great attribute about Beenie. He won't tolerate any of the "high jingo" politics that his predecessors had to put up with and Uncle Jack knows it

Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

Offline chunk-a-loonks

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2006, 05:47:30 PM »
Me believes that palos and touches really understand what going on here.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2006, 07:13:57 PM »
What i think Alvin and TI is saying (my interpretation) is that we have a professional league that cannot field more than 5 players on our national team. That is sad  :-\

Kingman

I may be wrong...but I don't think it is Corneal the younger who has been expressing reservations about not having more than 5 domestic league based players on the National team.

The other thing I'm struggling to understand is the whole foreign based versus domestic based player issue.  I mean....we have ONE...count it...1 player who has never played domestically for any team in T&T on the current Ntional squad.  That is Christopher Birchall.  Everybody else has played domestically in T&T at some level.

Some people vex because we select an additional ONE PLAYER (Ricky Shakes) who has never played domestically to TRY OUT with the team.  So that's 2 out of approximately 30 players in the National set up.  TWO!

Other than Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy, Shaka Hislop, Christopher Birchall, Ricky Shakes & perhaps Carlos Edwards....EVERYBODY ELSE ON THE NATIONAL TEAM has played in the PFL (not counting Noreiga & Neaves who are schoolboys). So that's SIX out of approximately 30.

Forgive me...but I honestly fail to see what the noise is all about.  Some carryin on as if Coach Beenhakker has never seen a PFL League game or players who have been mentioned on this site as deserving of a try out with the Warriors...conveniently or otherwise forgetting 99% of those players mentioned HAVE IN FACT BEEN GIVEN TRYOUTS.  They seem to be only satisfied if Beenie himself is at the workout.....therefore placing less importance on the scouts Beenie places his trust in.

Case in point Collin Samuels.  Beenie publicly stated he had seen Samuels before and was not impressed.  But scouts who had seen Samuels in England said Samuels was playing very well and Beenie went along with those recommendations.  The point here is....Beenie has his network in place of scouts and assistants who KNOW the kind of player he wants....whom he TRUSTS...and perhaps more importantly...knows the kind of player who can fill NEEDS within the team.

Beenhakker as a PROFESSIONAL coach is not ignorant to the sentimental and emotional arguments for local based players to be included.  He has said that in order to not disrupt TEAM CHEMISTRY he will be going with the MAJORITY OF PLAYERS who helped T&T qualify in the first place.  However, also as a PROFESSIONAL COACH, he would be negligent in his role of head coach were he not to research anyone who is elgible to represent T&T, domestic or foreign.

But plenty people gettin carried away about local players deserve to be in the World Cup or get a shot when some of them weren't that interested in the first place. 

What's the difference in waggonism when a Bobby Zamora say he might be interested in playing for T&T after turning down previous offers....

and a Kerwyn Jemmott who refuse to play serious football...even at the local level...still doh have a club...but expect to get call up because he goin gym and doin laps now dat we qualify?

Because one was born in T&T it ok fuh he to do it?

Alvin Corneal always have agenda when it come to T&T football and sadly...for one as knowedgebale about the game as he undoubtedly is....it's rarely ever to T&T's benefit.  If yuh want to criticise Beenhakker's selections and preparation for the WC...by all means do so...but please....this local based vs foreign based issue not makin any sense.  The stats do not support it. 

There is a very good reason why Stern John, Carlos Edwards, Clayton Ince, Kelvin Jack, Dennis Lawrence, Marvin Andrews, Kenwyne Jones, Jason Scotland, Brent Sancho, Collin Samuel, Densil Theobald....not to mention Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy & Shaka Hislop ALL have foreign contracts.  It's because THEY ARE OUR BEST PLAYERS!!  The other "best players" we have are already in the National team and play or have played in the PFL i.e. Aurtis Whitley, Cyd Gray, Silvio Spann, Cornell Glen & Avery John.

What more people want?  Blood? Remember de same Alvin Corneal who say on de show yesterday dat Shakes wasn't good enough to make T&T Under 20 team, is de same Alvin Corneal who was wastin down Christopher Birchal at every opportunity sayin how he eh good and it have players in T&T way better dan he. 

Imagine what your T&T National team would have looked like were Alvin Corneal in charge.  Yuh woulda be seein de likes of Ancil Elcock, Nigel Pierre, and a setta coachin school man on de squad.  Daz really wha allyuh want?  De only Germany we woulda be studyin right now woulda be some tourist in Tobago.

Stop, read and understand. Palos, I will never ever take away what beenie man did for our national team.....NEVER!! I never questioned his ability as a coach. All that he have done so far has worked for Trinidad and Tobago national team. I even blasted TI and others in previous post saying that if beenie man did something and it is working why are we railing and ranting? I just wrote an article in which I TRIED to interpret Alvin and TI sentiment. I stated my opinion and if you read it carefully, i stated "IN MY INTERPRETATION."

Then, i went on to try to support why i took that route by looking at the professional league for support of my reason. This is an opinionated post. I never said i was the God sent person and what i said was right.  ::)

The same way how i PROBABLY miss interpreted their sentiments is the same way I FEEL you miss interpreted mines. But guess what? That is the beauty of reading and language. That is why after an article a professor/teacher gives questions to help students better understand. You need to understand that what you say or I say is not always right. Please?

Anyways, that ok. I wonder if you does be trying to come at me?  :rotfl:

Lastly, this is a question. READ...A QUESTION!! A closed ended question for that matter which means that it is either yes or no.

All those players who played in the PFL and now play abroad, do you think if they were still playing in the PFL and we had other players abroad doing well, that those players playing in the PFL would have been called back to serve the national team? I am just asking.

Kingman
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 07:47:37 PM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

fabio

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2006, 01:11:11 AM »
ah think yuh have some valid and some i doh agree with points dey kingman. ah aint agree with yuh talk on d professional team thing eh. we league growing still man. give it some time. yuh show up palos in a technical way dey boi. he is ah next one does like to play know-it-all yuh know  ;D

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2006, 06:05:40 AM »
First up, the Australian professional league/national team. Did you guys know that the Australian national team features more than 12 players who actually play locally?
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/public/contact/show.asp?contactid=67&menuItemID=87&contactTypeID=&categoryTypeID=2&categoryID=28
To see the players and where they play just click on the "player link" option and you would see all players and where they play.

I do not have to show and explain to you guys about Mexico and USA because we all know that they have more than 80% of there national team players playing locally.

Kingman you are dead wrong on some of your information.  Only five of the players listed on the Austrailian team play in Australian league  (Count again).  Most of the US team, the starters at least, play in Europe.  What you guys don't seem to understaand is that the best players are the one who get opportunities in Europe and overseas.  Should we have a better local league?  Absolutely!  But the crea of the local crop will always get better financial opportunities overseas and therefore become foreign players.  Mexico and Costa Rica have few foreign based players on their teams because theuy don't have a lot of players who play abroad.  And Mexico in particular has one of the best local leagues on this side of the Atlantic (barring Brazil and Argentina).  Furthermore, how many locl based players make the Brazil and Argentna teams.  For the same reason - the best players are overseas.   Beenie has seen the local players.  He has assessed and evaluated.  The WC is a few months away.  Just let it be.  he has done what Corneal (when he had his chance) Cummings, Pottrefield, Vranes, ane every other coach before him could not do.  He has the temperament, the skill, the strategy, and the tact to do what none of them has done.  Corneal should know better, than to start the sniping at this time.  And it is time that all you guys stop feeding the demos and dissent.. When the WC is over let us hear you.  Go Warriors!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2006, 06:33:47 AM »
i tell you this...any coach with the statue and reputation of someone like Leo Beenhakker will not tolerate any quota bullshit

top coaches will always insist that they, and they alone, decide who's selected for the national team and they won't give a damn whether that player plies his trade abroad or in T+T

if Uncle Jack or anyone else from the TTFF was to start interferring with Beenie's selections, Beenie will quit and then where will we be....

that is the one great attribute about Beenie. He won't tolerate any of the "high jingo" politics that his predecessors had to put up with and Uncle Jack knows it

This is the best post i've read on this topic so far,Breds what you have said here is the best reasoning and understanding i myself have come to on this issue,it's plain and simple Beenie is the man and he will always do things his way or no way,what we have to understand is that T&T needs Beenie but he does not need T&T and he will take advantage of that,he has us where he wants us so just keep quiet.

How we expect people to support our Football at home when as we produce a quality player he is being contracted abroad,who they going to support a Guyanese,Brazillian,Jamaican etc people will support their own so don't blame them,i understand it's Bread and Butter  but we have to understand the reasons why things are the way it is,even the businesses not supporting for the same reasons.

I think if we can pay our best players to stay at home,the quality of our Football will improve,if the quality of our Football improves the crowds will come out and support,all who invested money will profit including the leagues and clubs,we will eventually be able to run the programs talked about on this Forum.

We can say what we want but nothing will materialize in Football without money,if we have it i'll expect things to happen but other than that don't build up your hopes,it will always be all talk and no action.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2006, 07:00:12 AM »
First up, the Australian professional league/national team. Did you guys know that the Australian national team features more than 12 players who actually play locally?
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/public/contact/show.asp?contactid=67&menuItemID=87&contactTypeID=&categoryTypeID=2&categoryID=28
To see the players and where they play just click on the "player link" option and you would see all players and where they play.

I do not have to show and explain to you guys about Mexico and USA because we all know that they have more than 80% of there national team players playing locally.

Kingman you are dead wrong on some of your information.  Only five of the players listed on the Austrailian team play in Australian league  (Count again).  Most of the US team, the starters at least, play in Europe.  What you guys don't seem to understaand is that the best players are the one who get opportunities in Europe and overseas.  Should we have a better local league?  Absolutely!  But the crea of the local crop will always get better financial opportunities overseas and therefore become foreign players.  Mexico and Costa Rica have few foreign based players on their teams because theuy don't have a lot of players who play abroad.  And Mexico in particular has one of the best local leagues on this side of the Atlantic (barring Brazil and Argentina).  Furthermore, how many locl based players make the Brazil and Argentna teams.  For the same reason - the best players are overseas.   Beenie has seen the local players.  He has assessed and evaluated.  The WC is a few months away.  Just let it be.  he has done what Corneal (when he had his chance) Cummings, Pottrefield, Vranes, ane every other coach before him could not do.  He has the temperament, the skill, the strategy, and the tact to do what none of them has done.  Corneal should know better, than to start the sniping at this time.  And it is time that all you guys stop feeding the demos and dissent.. When the WC is over let us hear you.  Go Warriors!

First of all, thanks for your input. As for players who play in the A-League from Australia, they are:-
Micheal Beauchamp, Clint Bolton, Alex Brojque, David Carney, Alvin Ceccoli, Simon Colosimo, Spase Dilevski, Kvin Muscat, Jade North, Archie Thompson, Micheal Valkans and Nick Ward. As for if they all played on the national team on the same field at once, maybe not.

Why do you think that Mexico and Costa Rica do not have that much players playing abroad? I would like to know. I do not think it is an issue of players not able of getting foriegn contracts because these two teams are bound for WC for some while now and have possessed quality players. But i would like to hear your reasoning why?

I think you are yet another forumist to misinterpret my post. I HAVE NEVER EVER BLASTED BEENIE MAN. I HAVE NEVER EVER QUESTIONED ANY OF HIS TACTICS AND STRATEGIES. IN FACT, I HAVE BLASTED OTHER FORUMITIES FOR QUESTIONING BEENIE MAN ABILITY. THIS ARTICLE WAS, AS I STATED BEFORE, the way in which i interpreted Leo, Alvin and TI thinking/reasoning. I SAID IT BEFORE AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN, IF LEO GOT SUCCESS WITH THE OVER SEA PLAYERS THEN LET IT BE. THAT IS FINE. HE HAS DONE WHAT NO COACH HAS DONE BEFORE WITH THE FOREIGN PLAYERS.

So what are you talking about? Are you mistaken? Did you misinterpret my post? If anything, yes, i blasted our local professional league. As for calling out LEO- I NEVER DID. As for saying that we had shit players in our Pro league-I NEVER DID. As for Corneal running his blasted mouth against the man who standing by his side in battle, that is shit. I am disappointed in him. But you know what? I expected that from that man. However, i tried to figure out why he thought that and hence i looked at a lot of factors

Sheeups!!! Do not assume or misinterpret ::)

Kingman

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2006, 07:04:41 AM »
I think this foreign vs local based players issue is getting out of hand,the reason why players from home are contracted abroad i guess is because they are the best,any Coach in charge of our national teams will want the best players and if they are out there he will want them,that does not mean our local players should be discarded, they should always be given every opportunity to be selected,i've always found it tough for the locals because they work so hard and don't reap the rewards the foreigners get.

I personally don't think it's a foreigners vs locals thing,Beenie is just going with who he think is the best weather they are at home or abroad,he is in the best situation to do so not being from T&T,not having any affiliation to anyone or team,he is basing his judgement on the ability of the players he sees not names.I have one principle in Football and that is "it's not what's right or wrong but what works".

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2006, 07:36:56 AM »
I think this foreign vs local based players issue is getting out of hand,the reason why players from home are contracted abroad i guess is because they are the best,any Coach in charge of our national teams will want the best players and if they are out there he will want them,that does not mean our local players should be discarded, they should always be given every opportunity to be selected,i've always found it tough for the locals because they work so hard and don't reap the rewards the foreigners get.

I personally don't think it's a foreigners vs locals thing,Beenie is just going with who he think is the best weather they are at home or abroad,he is in the best situation to do so not being from T&T,not having any affiliation to anyone or team,he is basing his judgement on the ability of the players he sees not names.I have one principle in Football and that is "it's not what's right or wrong but what works".

I share your philosophy, hence the reason why i supporting Leo. But you still did not answer my question. Remember, let me say it again. I NEVER EVER said we had shit players in our pro league or questioned Leo strategies.

Yes, the better players will go over sea. However, there would be some quality players that would be left behind. Not every one can make it. Sometimes it is not even the better players that goes over sea. It is a matter of possessing a certain attribute that a coach is looking for. My very good friend Kenywne Jones is tall, aggressive and athletic; 3 attributes that fits the english league. My good old friend Colin Samuel; quick, strong and aggressive. Three attributes that fit the scottish league.

I could care less who plays for Trinidad and Tobago (local or foriegn). I just hope that they get the job done. But you must try to be open minded and understand why people think the way they think. I THINK (could be wrong) that Alvin is making the local-over sea players thing an issue because we have a lot of good local players being left out because there are over sea players who can do just as good as a job but they more exposed. Sometimes the local and foriegn players level you know...SOMETIMES but the over sea player will get the opportunity because he is playing more competitive ball. In other words, we need to reform our pro league so that players can be given more exposure locally as well. I guess that will come down to money.

kingman
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 08:47:07 AM by kingman »

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2006, 10:38:56 AM »
The way I see it, this foreign based vs. locally based player issue will always be around.

The PFL don’t have the resources (money) to compete with the European leagues or the MLS. For that reason, almost any player who stands out in the PFL, and gets the attention of a foreign team, is almost certainly, bound to leave. So as long as the PFL continues to be unable to compensate players like the foreign leagues, it will only be a feeder to those leagues.

If Trinidad does well in the WC and other countries take notice, it is MORE likely to create opportunities for our players overseas than it is to improve the PFL.

It will take talent AND professionalism to improve the standard of the players in the PFL. It will take money to motivate the talented into professionals. Therefore it will take money to improve the PFL. But sadly, as the PFL improves, unless the money is substantial, the migration of our better players to overseas clubs will increase.

And if you set up an academy that nurtures talent and cultivates professionalism, then that academy will be a feeder to the foreign leagues unless the PFL can offer a competitive financial offer to that academy graduate.

At the end of the day, football is not just a game or sport, it is a business. And most players no longer obsessed with loyalty, but rather, economics. They want to get paid.
Toujour Pret!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2006, 11:24:36 AM »
The way I see it, this foreign based vs. locally based player issue will always be around.

The PFL don’t have the resources (money) to compete with the European leagues or the MLS. For that reason, almost any player who stands out in the PFL, and gets the attention of a foreign team, is almost certainly, bound to leave. So as long as the PFL continues to be unable to compensate players like the foreign leagues, it will only be a feeder to those leagues.

If Trinidad does well in the WC and other countries take notice, it is MORE likely to create opportunities for our players overseas than it is to improve the PFL.

It will take talent AND professionalism to improve the standard of the players in the PFL. It will take money to motivate the talented into professionals. Therefore it will take money to improve the PFL. But sadly, as the PFL improves, unless the money is substantial, the migration of our better players to overseas clubs will increase.

And if you set up an academy that nurtures talent and cultivates professionalism, then that academy will be a feeder to the foreign leagues unless the PFL can offer a competitive financial offer to that academy graduate.

At the end of the day, football is not just a game or sport, it is a business. And most players no longer obsessed with loyalty, but rather, economics. They want to get paid.

Well said!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2006, 11:52:03 AM »
Kingman, take it easy, bro.  May my punctuations may have given the wrong impression.  The only points of which I disagreed with you were: 1. the number of local players on the Australian and US teams.  As for your other points, I was making commentary; I agree with you.  So apologies for the misunderstanding.

Now here is my opinion why most of the Mexicans stay at home: they have a well developed league which pays fairly well and has fanatical support by the regional fans.  Some of the obvious disadvantages about TT is that we are a very small country and it would be difficult to financially support top players in a competitive manner. 

So, how do we solve it?  It is time that the English Caribbean (CFU) nations - Jamaica, Trinidad, Barbados, Grenada, St. Vincent and others who can develop the infrastructure create a league of 1, 2, or 3 teams per nation (as resources and sponsorship will allow) to form a 10 to 12 team league, with local leagues being a second division level with teams vying for prmotion.  Hopefully, that would allow for better pay and the concentration of sponsorship dollars.  Teams can be allowed limits on foreign players to help create stronger local fan support.  This is the skeleton.  A lot could be done in football (and in cricket) to help develop our players.  It is time we stop hoping for other countries to develop our players.l

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2006, 12:22:07 PM »
Some very interesting discussions and ideas in this thread. Once more, the question of economics substantiates the core of the discussion. It would stand to reason that our PFL attracts many of the better players from around the Caribbean is primarily because hey may not have a league or the quality of play at home to foster growth and competition for individual players.

If our PFL, produces quality players, that is a plus for everyone: the player, the league and the country. If that said player  gets an opportunity to ply his trade  abroad, given the  quality of the competition, training and opportunities for development, who Will benefit ultimately from this? the Player, and the national team.

In as much as it would be an ideal or Utopian scenario to have a national team that is comprised of  current players  from the local PFL, that may not be a reality, given the calibre of play and the capital market economy which is present. Just as the PFL would attract key players from the other islands, the same for goes for our better players to garnish interest from abroad.

The exposure and the development of these players are value added for the future of our program. I would however, be in favour of having a  locally based developmental  squad with players of interest who are on the cusp of making the national team. These players could benefit form the training and development of a bonafide coach who would then have at his disposal quality local talent from which to draw upon. This could serve as incentive for our local players and could potentially enrich our program.

My humble opinions.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2006, 12:25:35 PM »
Kingman, take it easy, bro.  May my punctuations may have given the wrong impression.  The only points of which I disagreed with you were: 1. the number of local players on the Australian and US teams.  As for your other points, I was making commentary; I agree with you.  So apologies for the misunderstanding.

Now here is my opinion why most of the Mexicans stay at home: they have a well developed league which pays fairly well and has fanatical support by the regional fans.  Some of the obvious disadvantages about TT is that we are a very small country and it would be difficult to financially support top players in a competitive manner. 

So, how do we solve it?  It is time that the English Caribbean (CFU) nations - Jamaica, Trinidad, Barbados, Grenada, St. Vincent and others who can develop the infrastructure create a league of 1, 2, or 3 teams per nation (as resources and sponsorship will allow) to form a 10 to 12 team league, with local leagues being a second division level with teams vying for prmotion.  Hopefully, that would allow for better pay and the concentration of sponsorship dollars.  Teams can be allowed limits on foreign players to help create stronger local fan support.  This is the skeleton.  A lot could be done in football (and in cricket) to help develop our players.  It is time we stop hoping for other countries to develop our players.l

Good point StoreBoy, but I think we should try and incorporate the whole Caribbean...if possible. well Cuba might be a problem albeit minor one.

Also, there will ALWAYS be a problem of local players going abroad to ply their trade. Our league(s),as developed as they may become, can not compete with the EPLs and LaLiga(s) (coughshitleaguecough);D etc of the world. Even Brazil has to deal with this issue but it doesn't seem to be a problem for those guys.

Â 
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2006, 12:28:55 PM »
Our league has a salary cap?
I wasn't aware of that.
What is the cap?
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 12:32:29 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2006, 12:56:15 PM »

Well said!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I will second that.

Kingman i agree and support your thoughts on this whole topic,having said that it's just unfortunate in sports we have to end up with situations like this,i don't think there are any reasonable explanation why Coaches select players the way they do,if you look at it they all do something different.

BSc is local and Beenie is foreign,is there any difference in the players they both selected,BSc said our players not good enough Beenie took them and said he can get the job done,it's what they are seeing,i know it's hard for the local guys but Coaches reputation are at stake in this game and these guys going to do what ever it takes to get results,they don't care who local or foreign.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2006, 12:56:48 PM »

I have to say storeboy, that is a very good idea. Let us take a drink for that  :beermug:

Kingman

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2006, 02:25:54 PM »
so TI, puttin aside all the problems within the PFL what local players should be on the WC team and who will they be replacing?
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2006, 02:33:58 PM »
so TI, puttin aside all the problems within the PFL what local players should be on the WC team and who will they be replacing?

::) ::) oh lord, please doh start him ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2006, 06:03:43 PM »
Kingman, i think the spice for the game of football in Trinidad and Tobago has gone down...has for Alvin, he and his son SUCK!

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2006, 07:52:29 PM »
AlbertaTrini,  Ah wasn't on the Forum when yuh make dem comments; but that is the most sensible opinions shared since for a long time and I agree 100%.  All dem rich West Indians who could come up witht he money to get a league in motion if they have any love for football and our people.  And you know I agree we will still lose players but that is the world of sports.  The best European basket ball players all trying to play i the NBA but everybody still survivin.  So ah hope the powers that be listenin to the intelligent forumites and not the personal obsessions of TI and company (I had to get that last line in)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2006, 07:45:34 AM »
Yuh point well taken eh...but how does one account for a country like Brazil with a crime scene and other social ills that make T&T look like ah real paradise(not that it isn't already ;) ) but yet they still are able to run a fairly successful professional league, granted their league is way older and more established(and more corrupt) than ours. How are they able to make it work with that kind of social backdrop and we believe that we can't do the same for ours.

In Brazil football is part of their culture & they have a rich tradition of success at all levels of their football despite their corrupted leagues & FA that is why! Poor folks in Brazil will give their last penny to go to a football game, its is a cummunity pastime and just not when their team makes World Cup but all the time! They don't have such a high percentage of waggonist supporters as we have in T&T! These are some of the important factors.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2006, 11:34:41 AM »
Some very interesting discussions and ideas in this thread. Once more, the question of economics substantiates the core of the discussion. It would stand to reason that our PFL attracts many of the better players from around the Caribbean is primarily because hey may not have a league or the quality of play at home to foster growth and competition for individual players.

If our PFL, produces quality players, that is a plus for everyone: the player, the league and the country. If that said player  gets an opportunity to ply his trade  abroad, given the  quality of the competition, training and opportunities for development, who Will benefit ultimately from this? the Player, and the national team.

In as much as it would be an ideal or Utopian scenario to have a national team that is comprised of  current players  from the local PFL, that may not be a reality, given the calibre of play and the capital market economy which is present. Just as the PFL would attract key players from the other islands, the same for goes for our better players to garnish interest from abroad.

The exposure and the development of these players are value added for the future of our program. I would however, be in favour of having a  locally based developmental  squad with players of interest who are on the cusp of making the national team. These players could benefit form the training and development of a bonafide coach who would then have at his disposal quality local talent from which to draw upon. This could serve as incentive for our local players and could potentially enrich our program.

My humble opinions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it is not Wim's job, then who is looking after the development of our local players at the senior level?

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2006, 12:51:53 PM »

This was tried before - remember the CPL (Caribbean Professional League).
BSC had a team Tobago Young Pros - there were teams from JA, T&T, even St Marteen. They too expected big corporate $$$$, but didn't work. It's still  a good idea though.

1]; } ?>