April 24, 2024, 12:51:56 AM

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke Official Thread  (Read 95654 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight Yorke Official Thread
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
There are a couple of walls with a list of Man Utd internationals.....can't find the pics right now though. From what you said, I assume the displays have been changed a bit

Correct, there is a list of Man Utd players who have received international caps. DY was listed. Did you see that in the main musueum area or elsewhere?

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
There are a couple of walls with a list of Man Utd internationals.....can't find the pics right now though. From what you said, I assume the displays have been changed a bit

Correct, there is a list of Man Utd players who have received international caps. DY was listed. Did you see that in the main musueum area or elsewhere?

To be honest, I can't remember where I saw it....Utd's museum is huge (at least compared to Chelsea and Liverpool)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2014, 03:10:21 AM »

Correct, there is a list of Man Utd players who have received international caps. DY was listed. Did you see that in the main museum area or elsewhere?

To be honest, I can't remember where I saw it....Utd's museum is huge (at least compared to Chelsea and Liverpool)

... for some reason, I seem to recall it being in the vicinity of the media room (or en route to). Was hopeful you could confirm/endorse that.

Anfield is a cubby hole compared to what's going on at United. But, frankly, I found the experience at Anfield to be more personable. The commercial behemoth thing at United seemed to be less about football, and more about cashing in on branding. At Anfield, the constant themes that ring through are tradition and preserving values rooted in the culture of the club.

One only has to look as far as the simplicity of the dressing room at Liverpool to paint the picture.

With the planned 13,000 seat expansion at Anfield, who knows how that will affect the club, but one gets the sense that every effort will be made to strike a balance.

I'll post a pic of my DY artifact from the museum.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2014, 09:47:31 AM »
From the Archives: Dwight Yorke on cheeky Arsenal penalty
By Paul Brown (avfc.co.uk)

When it comes to sheer audacity, who will ever forget Dwight Yorke's chipped penalty against Arsenal in 1998?

Yorke was at his extraordinary best as he dinked the ball into the net in a 1-0 win at Villa Park.

The Calypso Kid first impudently succeeded with this spot-kick style in an FA Cup tie at Sheffield United.

But it was the reaction of David Seaman - diving to his left before realising the error of his ways and accepting the inevitable - that really made the Gunners goal special.

And the fact, of course, that it was scored on home soil.

Yorke smiles as he recalls that glorious moment in his colossal claret and blue career.

And he gives huge credit to the fans for giving him the freedom to attempt such a crazy feat.

He said: "That was a special moment. I was high on confidence.

"The fans believed in me. I felt I was unstoppable. Those were the kind of things I used to do.

"Not many players could get away with that at Villa Park.

"I just felt 'even if I miss this, they know I'm trying to entertain them.'

"That's part of a player's makeup. You want to win football matches, of course. But the fans are paying their hard-earned money to come and be entertained. It should be like going to the theatre!

"Some people might not remember it, but I loved to entertain the fans before the game too.

"I loved to run out late. It wasn't deliberate. But I was always the last man for the warm-up.

"I used to juggle the ball across the pitch. I was entertaining the fans and showing them I was well up for it. I was geeing the fans up.

"I'd have the fans singing my name. I got a buzz from that and I'd like to think that they got a buzz from it too.

"The fans were amazing with me at Villa. They believed in me. I had confidence in myself but they gave me even greater confidence.

"They helped me play with authority every time I went out. To have the crowd believing that I was going to do the business for them and score gave me great belief.

"We had a sensational bond. That was a feeling between us that no other player could appreciate.

"The fans were always up for it.

"They got us through games. They won us some matches, definitely.

"When our backs were against the wall, they would scream us through.

"Playing in front of them and scoring in front of them was the best feeling. Ask any player! That's what they all want to do."

Let's hope someone experiences the Villa Park roar this weekend for our latest instalment with the Gunners.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cRK3XiJxPrY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cRK3XiJxPrY</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2014, 12:01:28 PM »
Yorke also had a really brilliant diving header in another game vs Seaman.  Can't remember when.

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2014, 12:47:51 PM »
He did the same, pre World Cup 2006, vs Iceland

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2014, 12:56:56 PM »
He did the same, pre World Cup 2006, vs Iceland

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2piQi23VGZI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2piQi23VGZI</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 17, 2014, 06:52:47 AM »
Officials at the Department of Tourism and Transportation have already estimated that between the spend of visitors to the island and media rights the tournament could earn as much as $37 million.

The legends will participate in a major community outreach programmes throughout Tobago. Schools, clubs and academies will benefit as young players get an opportunity to interact with the legends.

Sam?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 17, 2014, 08:14:48 AM »
As long as the Legends pay they way and Volunteer there time, it will be great.. Don't want to hear, down the road. The bill for the 64 legends totalled 43 M, while 5 M was collected and not 37M as anticipated. We own t & T reps have to pay dey way and beg. Is best ppl play House league and forget Rep teams. If/when/after yuh make it, then the powers courting you...while yuh repping, yuh have to fight for proper treatment, and then yuh stop fighting cause yuh getting it now... even if it still going on. Serving only Tobago ? ok.. ah really hope so, at least.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:17:15 AM by maxg »

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 18, 2014, 05:42:35 PM »
Yorke to strap on boots for ‘Legends Challenge’
By Mark Pouchet (Express).

Former skipper of the Soca Warriors and Trinidad and Tobago international Dwight Yorke is one of 64 former players who will take to the field when the Bristish Airways Tobago Football Legends Challenge kicks off from June 15-22 in the sister isle next year.

At the launch of the event at the Hyatt Regency, Yorke, Tobago House of Assembly’s Tobago global brand ambassador, and former French international and Manchester United footballer Louis Saha, were on hand to support the week-long event that will also feature a Dwight Yorke International Golf Tournament Day (June 19) at the event’s official base and accommodation, the Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort in Lowlands.

The football part of the competition will have as its venue the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet and is set to feature former top players from clubs including Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United as well as select teams from the Professional Footballers Association and a Caribbean All Star team.

According to organisers, the Tobago Football Legends Challenge will be used to promote Tobago as a tourist and sport tourism destination. Yorke, a former Aston Villa and Manchester United player, said the Challenge was “a chance for all of us to share the beauty and theatre of sport in a fun and exciting atmosphere.”

“When I was growing up in Canaan, I never got to see the heros I would watch on TV. This event, the whole of Tobago and indeed Trinidad will be able to come, watch and mingle and support for the teams as well,” Yorke said.

THA Secretary of Education, Youth Affairs and Sport, Huey Cadette said he was very pleased to be involved especially because of the community interaction aspect of the Challenge.

“The fact that this event has been structured in such a way that the individuals (legends) will find themselves right across the community.

“In terms of the Best of the Rest game, in terms of the clinics, the Reach the Stars programme, it allows the persons in the community to be involved and feel a part of it,” he said.

The legends will participate in a major community outreach programmes throughout Tobago. Schools, clubs and academies will benefit as young players get an opportunity to interact with the legends.

Tracey Davidson-Celestine, THA Secretary of Tourism and Transportation, said the Challenge coincides with a period featuring increased visitors to the islands.

“The competition comes at a time when international arrivals are increasing and the signs that the growth will continue into the winter season and beyond, and already we are organising additional flights to deal with the increased visitor arrivals,’’ she said.

RELATED NEWS

Saha among 64 former players for Tobago Legends.
By Sean Nero (Guardian).

Former T&T and Manchester United stand-out Dwight Yorke is convinced that next year’s British Airways Tobago Football Legends Challenge at his namesake Dwight Yorke Stadium in Tobago will lift this country’s profile globally.

Speaking at yesterday’s launch of the event held at the Hyatt Regency Trinidad, Port-of-Spain Yorke described football as a global sport that attracts different types of people and a game with the potential to boost the twin-island’s image.

Yorke serves as global brand ambassador for the Department of Tourism and Transportation, which is a co-sponsor of the event.

With the Football Challenge now confirmed to take place in the sister isle, from June 15-22, it promises to see some of the world’s most revered athletes return to the pitch in a shortened format. Luis Saha, who was present at the launch, will be included in one of eight teams and 64 former players competing at the week-long event.

Yorke expressed delight in having the opportunity to welcome Saha, another former Manchester United forward, to local shores for the launch, along with George Berry and Colin Hill from the Professional Footballer’s Association (PFA) in the United Kingdom.

Citing the tremendous excitement an event of this magnitude would generate the organisers have stressed the importance of hosting outreach projects in the community.

Officials at the Department of Tourism and Transportation have already estimated that between the spend of visitors to the island and media rights the tournament could earn as much as $37 million.

UK-based Sky Television will produce a 90-minute special, aimed at positioning Tobago as a trusted destination for well-known celebrities.

“I think people will be pleasantly surprised not just to see the stars, but to see the impact that it will bring into our country and hopefully everyone would benefit from it. Football took—since 2006—a turn for the worst in many respects in my opinion. It’s just nice to see T&T back on the map doing the things that we did best, which is compete on a regular basis in the Caribbean Cup,” Yorke said.

“And, of course, in the World Cup qualifications it’s looking much more like the T&T team. I keep one eye on that and continue voice success. Hopefully, that will be the case. But, there is still a lot of hard work still to be done. The progress looks slow, but it’s going in the right direction.

I am completing my A-badges. I am one level away from being a complete coach, which is the professional level, which is what you need to meet the requirement. So, yes, that is a slow process. It takes a couple of years before I complete it, but by the time it would be finished that’s when I would be committed to that side of my ideas on football.”

Asked if he would offer his services to the senior national team, Yorke said he would not dismiss such a possibility.

He declared that football had been very kind to him, not just giving him an opportunity to fulfil his dreams, but to meet many interesting people. Between his experiences abroad and having so many years in the game, Yorke now considers it absolutely paramount to give back to T&T football.

When that time comes around, he said, then, he would know it, but for now he was focusing on being a true brand ambassador for T&T, while continuing to try and implement his knowledge to continue his personal develop.

Yorke said, “Football is always going to be part of me. I have always been part of it and I look forward to that day when it comes for me to give back to give back to my country, from maybe a coaching point of view.”

Any opportunity for a SocaWarriors.net presence/get together for this period as well?
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 21, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
Dwight Yorke ranked #45 on The Telegraph’s list of the Premier League's 100 greatest ever players.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/picturegalleries/11153856/Premier-Leagues-100-greatest-ever-players.html?frame=3072355

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:07:23 PM by Flex »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 03, 2014, 09:30:55 AM »
Former United striker Dwight Yorke to visit Vietnam this weekend

Dwight Yorke, the former star striker of English Premier League giants Manchester United, will be in Ho Chi Minh City on November 8 and 9 to support a football (soccer) tournament organized by the Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam (BIDV).

The Trinidad & Tobago international, 42, will also participate in an online talk with readers of Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm (Vietnam time) on November 9 at www.tuoitre.com.vn.

Fans can now send questions for Yorke to thethao@tuoitre.com.vn.

He will also be present in the stands at the BIDV Manchester United Cup 2014, which will kick off on November 8 and close on November 23 on small, 11m x 22m pitches. The event will be held in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, and Da Nang.

During his football career, Yorke played for several different clubs in Britain including Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Birmingham City, and Manchester United.

He played for United from 1998 to 2002 and scored 64 goals in 188 matches with the club.

He was capped 74 times for the Trinidad & Tobago national football team and scored 19 goals.

http://tuoitrenews.vn/sports/23761/former-united-striker-dwight-yorke-to-visit-vietnam-this-weekend

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2014, 09:36:33 AM »
Keane: Dwight Yorke text me to wish me well – I told him to go f*** himself

The two players were at the peak of their powers during the Treble winning season of 1998/99 and when Keane took over as Sunderland manager he soon enticed Yorke to leave Australia for the North-East.

"I'd got on well with Yorkie at United," he writes in The Second Half.

"He had the penthouse in Sydney Harbour, and the Lamborghini, all the women. A hard life. But I knew he loved football. He loved the game and he liked a challenge.

"Dwight Yorke was probably my best signing," he admitted.

The 34-year-old was told by the club his contract would not be renewed after the club secured promotion to the Premier League, but a shortage of numbers meant he re-signed, though it wasn't to end well as far as Keane was concerned.

Yorke decided to return to international football which was not well received by the club.

"He took his eye off the ball once or twice, and I left him on the bench," added Keane, who made him train with the reserves for a period of time.

"Maybe I should have pulled him aside and said, 'Yorkie, come on – pull your finger out'."

The deterioration in their relationship was crystal clear once the former Ireland captain departed Wearside, something Keane has regretted since.

"A few days after I left Sunderland, Yorkie text me: All the best. I text him back: Go fu** yourself."

"I saw him a few years ago," he writes. "We both played in a charity match. We said hello to each other, but there was no real conversation.

"And it's sad, because I had great days with Yorkie.

"I could have handled things differently."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/keane-dwight-yorke-text-me-to-wish-me-well-i-told-him-to-go-f-himself-30651568.html

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2014, 04:42:30 PM »
One of the few times i've ever heard Roy Keane saying something resembling regret

Feather in Yorke's cap there
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2014, 09:47:20 PM »
WATCH Dwight Yorke score for Team Cannavaro in the Global Legends Series. Team Cannavaro defeated Team Figo 8-5. Yorke also assisted on both Scholes goals.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Cj-NKE-CZII?start=329" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Cj-NKE-CZII?start=329</a>

Team Figo consisted of Lehman, Cafu, Zambrotta, Zanetti, Nesta, Seedorf, Deco, Smicer, Figo, Fowler and Shevchenko while team Cannavaro featured Dudek, Salgado, Beletti, Cannavaro, Materazzi, Nakata, Scholes, Berger, Kluivert, Yorke and Litmanen. To top this already star-studded team, Howard Webb was the match referee in match.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:38:06 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2015, 06:50:10 PM »
DWIGHT YORKE is ranked #12 on the list of strikers in Premier League history based on heading ability.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2387899-ranking-the-top-20-strikers-in-premier-league-history-on-their-heading-ability/page/10

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 16, 2015, 06:18:36 PM »
WATCH Dwight Yorke and current Manchester United players Wayne Rooney, Michael Carrick and Ander Herrera take part in a trivia quiz on Google+ Hangout. It is the latest installment of Chevrolet’s #AskManUtd series.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MqhW8aL5_v8&amp;t=1377" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MqhW8aL5_v8&amp;t=1377</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 24, 2015, 06:31:09 PM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 30, 2015, 04:02:13 PM »
Dwight Yorke is a global ambassador for Caribbean football - and this June he’s bringing world football to Trinidad & Tobago for a Football Legends Challenge. ZiNG (LIAT’s in-flight magazine) caught up with the “Smiling Assassin” to talk about everything from ManU to playing mas.
http://www.ta-emags.com/V1/Zing/Z27/?pn=68

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #199 on: March 31, 2015, 10:41:59 AM »
 This has been in the making for quite some time. Football Legends tournament, i heard suppose to be a 12 weeks operation. More added features regarding friendlies surrounding the tournament are pending at the moment.
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke: My Managers
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2015, 11:07:47 AM »
Dwight Yorke: My Managers
By Phil Costa (thesetpieces.com)

Few footballers have played under a more eclectic selection of managers than Dwight Yorke. He tells Phil Costa why Sir Alex Ferguson was great, why Graeme Souness was difficult and why he doesn’t think Roy Keane is cut out for management.

When Sir Alex Ferguson first decided to bring you to Manchester United, how did you feel?

It was a shock to the system when I heard that they were interested. You know, you’d look through their squad and they had such great players, and I thought, “Wow, why are they after me?”

But Sir Alex  said he had tried to get me when I was even younger, even before I went to Aston Villa and that he had been constantly tracking my progress. He came to me and said, ‘Come and play for this club, come and play for this great institution.’

Manchester United were always a team I was envious of over the years and I just really wanted to join the club, With so many established players, it was a no brainer. Having the opportunity to work under Sir Alex, it was the best thing I could have ever done. He taught me so much. He taught me not only to win football matches but to be ruthless in doing so.

The hunger and desire in all of those players, even in training, was like ‘Woah!’ – you literally could not let up for a second. There were constantly intense training camps, and you knew that if you weren’t performing there was another guy snapping at your heels ready to take your place straight away, and I think that this healthy competition really help the squad as a whole.

After you left Manchester United, you worked under Graeme Souness and you didn’t enjoy the same relationship, did you?

Well, I’ve got to say that he was a fantastic player and and a brilliant captain. The things that he has won in the game, I can’t question that. I felt when I joined Blackburn that he was the right man for the job, and of course Andy Cole was there at the time so he influenced me as well – but I didn’t really know too much about Souness, apart from his record as a player.

At first it went ok, I was joint top scorer in my first season there with 14 goals, which was a good return for me. But my second year there just went belly up. After you work with such a great manager, to come in and work with someone like Graeme was… difficult. I found it very difficult to get going and his managerial skills were maybe one to question at the time and there was that incident with me and him off the pitch and after that I lost respect for him. But you know, we both worked for Sky and did the analysis together. Bygones be bygones, I don’t hold grudges but at that particular time I was pretty upset with how things were between us.

You had a difficult relationship with John Gregory too, didn’t you?

I actually got on well with John Gregory. Brian Little was the manager and Gregory was the first team coach – he was the one I would go to if I needed to work on something. He saw himself as a player even though he was the coach and I always had a good record with him. I could always relate to him. Of course the situation changed when Gregory took over, and he knew how important I was to the team, I was at the top of my game at the time and that’s why Manchester United came in for me. I felt I had given that club ten years, and it was a great time in my career, it was a platform for me, I had built up my reputation there. I’m still very grateful for all the opportunities that Aston Villa gave me, I had a good record with the fans too, but as you can see if you have the aspiration to go on to bigger and better things, and no disrespect to Aston Villa because I still love the football club, Manchester United was a huge proposition especially with the Champions League. My leaving will always be sad for me because of my relationship with Gregory, it will always feel like a marriage that soured.

Your last manager was Roy Keane. What was it like working under an old teammate of yours?

Oh, you know, when someone is the manager you have to respect their position. Roy Keane was put in that position and clearly he was the manager. I didn’t treat him any differently than any other managers I’ve worked under like Sir Alex.

He did an outstanding job there when he first got the job, got them promoted to the Premier League within six or seven months and for me, what I take from Roy Keane apart from him being a great leader in his playing days – is that maybe he found club management difficult at times.

You have to be involved with people everyday, from all levels of the club, and I don’t think that’s really in his make up! He’s not the most people person is he? As a manager you’re going from the youth level, to the board of directors, to the canteen, to the groundsmen, and you have to be involved and interact with everybody! I’m sure Keano would tell you that that he’s not the best person for all that, so, that was probably one of his downfalls.

However, I do feel that international management is perfect for him. He’s not there every day, he can go walk his dog like he likes to do, he can go and watch different games, it’s much more free. He will do his job when he has them for the two weeks during the international break, and then he’s good to go again! I really feel he could be a brilliant international manager. He’s got that whole look, he’s got that respect, and it’s such a shame that from a club management view it hasn’t quite worked out for him.

Which managers got the most out of you?

Well listen, I’ll give you two concepts. Firstly, Brian Little when he first came to Aston Villa he said to me, “Look, you are my number 10. Go and play.” He really gave me that freedom, and he let me enjoy my football, and for me, that just elevated me to another level. That was all I needed, that little bit of assurance and it made me into a far better player, made me so much more positive, to do the things I knew I was capable of doing and he just let me express myself.

But of course the greatest manager I’ve played under was Sir Alex. What I achieved under him, what he achieved himself, you just have to respect that. Everybody respects him. And to be given that opportunity by Sir Alex to play for such a great club, he’s easily the best manager. Again, he was another manager that said to me “you are at this football club because you belong at this football club.”

One of the things I will always take away from those two managers I mentioned, is that they always wanted me to play with freedom, and to express myself – which is football is all about.

I noticed that you’re doing your coaching badges and, well, the Sunderland job will be free in the summer…

Yeah! It’s a job that I would certainly like to have, obviously I spent three years there, I know the football club. It’s something that I would look at, I’m certainly doing my coaching badges for a particular reason, I want to be a manager. Hopefully one day, someone will give me that opportunity I’ve always asked for. Sunderland is a great football club, and I have a great relationship with the fans there, so give the opportunity, I’d love to do it.

Dwight Yorke was speaking to us at a Google+ Hangout event in London, presented by Manchester United and Chevrolet.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 08, 2015, 11:01:53 AM »
Manchester United Ambassador Dwight Yorke will be a featured guest at UNITED:LIVE in Beijing, China
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Club-News/2015/Apr/Manchester-United-brings-United-Live-to-Beijing-China.aspx

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke puts best foot forward for girls' coaching day at Manchester United Foundation
By Abigail O'Leary (Manchester Evening News)

Footballing legend Dwight Yorke returned to Old Trafford - to coach a group of young female footballers.

The former United star turned up at the kick-pitch by the stadium to encourage the girls who play for Manchester United to keep enjoying their sport - and to see the work of the club’s charity, the Manchester United Foundation.

He spoke to them about what it takes to become a professional and showed them some top tips.

Yorke, who also played for Aston Villa and Blackburn Rovers, took part in a skills session run by the Foundation and proved he hadn’t lost any of his own ability when he showed the all-girls team how to score the perfect goal.

He said: “I’ve come along to give a little football session to the young girls to encourage them to play the game. I’ll be showing them the fundamentals and the basics of the game as well as what it takes to be a professional.

“I’ve loved the experience and I’ve loved the idea of me being here at the Foundation. I’ll be showing the girls one or two things that will hopefully take them forward in the game they love.”

Yorke also spoke about the upcoming Legends Game on Sunday, 14 June, which sees some of football’s most famous faces go head-to-head in a historic match between Manchester United Legends vs Bayern Munich Allstars.

Speaking about the Legends Game, he said: “It’s going to be a fantastic occasion against one of the world’s greatest teams Bayern Munich. It’s an occasion that you don’t want to miss.”

Tickets for the match are available at http://www.manutd.com/Tickets-And-Hospitality

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke recalls hat-trick for United against Arsenal in 200
« Reply #203 on: May 13, 2015, 07:48:05 PM »
Dwight Yorke recalls hat-trick for United against Arsenal in 2001
By Andrew Crompton (manutd.com)

Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke has recalled the day when Arsenal came to Old Trafford and he bagged a quickfire hat-trick in a 6-1 demolition of the Gunners.

It was a sunny Sunday afternoon in February 2001 and Arsene Wenger's men were United’s closest league rivals. But Yorke put the Reds ahead in only the third minute after a neat one-two with Paul Scholes and that opened the floodgates.

The Tobagan's second goal came in the 18th minute after he was put through by Roy Keane and, four minutes later, he guided home a David Beckham cross to complete his hat-trick. Further strikes by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Roy Keane and Teddy Sheringham capped a brilliant United performance.

Yorke told ManUtd.com: "My hat-trick is the one everyone talks about whenever United play Arsenal. To score three goals in less than 22 minutes was amazing.

"I got out of bed on the right side that morning – everything went to plan, my food was good and everything fell into place. I just had one of those magical moments on the football pitch. I’d put in some hard graft behind the scenes and it’s when you do that that you get the reward.

"I was delighted to score, but it was the fact that we hit six against them that day, and the manner in which we did it – demolishing them here at Old Trafford."

United went on to wrap up the 2000/01 title in April, finishing 10 points ahead of the Gunners. Yorke notched 11 goals in 42 appearances in all competitions that term, but the three he bagged against Arsenal will forever live in his memory.

Asked whether he ended up disappointed not to have scored more in the game, after netting such a quick hat-trick, Yorke replied: "Well, the manager took me off after 75 minutes, so I didn’t get the full game to add to my tally! I’ve often wondered why Sir Alex did that but he was the best in the business and you never questioned his decisions.

"I didn’t expect to do it against Arsenal but it was a good feeling and it’s a game every United fan looks back on and thinks 'wow, that was an amazing day'."

Yorke admits the 6-1 thrashing of Arsenal was one of the high points of his four-year spell with United, in which he bagged 64 goals in 120 appearances – including one other hat-trick, against Derby County – before moving on to Blackburn Rovers.

"It’s right up there," he said. "Obviously, winning the Treble was the highlight but from an individual point of view, being a striker, if you score three goals in any game it’s always nice. But to do it against a top team like Arsenal, not many people can say they have ticked that box, and I’m one of them."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke happy to don boots again
« Reply #204 on: May 16, 2015, 01:01:58 PM »
Dwight Yorke happy to don boots again
By Allen Gunn (manutd.com)

As Manchester United’s first competitive goalscorer against Bayern Munich in the club’s history, Dwight Yorke is looking forward to welcoming the German club back to Old Trafford on 14 June.

Yorke, who made the switch from Aston Villa to United during the summer of 1998, was surprised to hear that his Champions League strike was United’s first-ever goal against Bayern. "I'll take that," he joked. The then 27-year-old beat goalkeeper Oliver Kahn in the Reds’ second game of the group stage in a campaign where the Reds progressed all the way to the final, meeting Bayern again in Barcelona and, of course, winning 2-1.

The former striker told ManUtd.com of his participation in the upcoming Legends event: "It’s the only game that can get me to put my football boots on again – it’s one for a good cause in the Foundation, raising a lot of money, so it’s a great opportunity to play at this wonderful stadium and roll back the years.

"I’m sure I’m equally as excited as all the other players are and it will be a great occasion. We went to Munich about a year ago and it’s our turn to entertain them and I expect another close contest on the day. It’ll be very competitive again. We are excited and looking forward to it."

The first leg at the Allianz Arena last August finished 3-3 with Andy Cole scoring a brace and Paul Scholes adding another. Paulo Sergio, Giovane Elber and Alexander Zickler scored for the hosts.

"We’re not trying to make a comeback here but I can assure you, when they get here, the competitive element kicks in," Yorke added. "It’s just the nature of how we are and, as I said, we want to win the game but also, at the end of the day, it’s a game of football that is for a good cause and that is what we are all doing it for.

"We know what a fantastic team they are - the history of Munich, the history behind Manchester United Football Club – it’s just huge and it’ll draw a great deal of attraction to it. We’re all retired but we all have that one magical moment that we want to relive and I’m sure it won't be any different when we turn up on the day."

All proceeds from the event will go to the Manchester United Foundation for its work with young people across Greater Manchester and there will be more on show than just football as Union J will also be performing.

"I think that’s the sort of thing the Foundation are trying to draw on here," said the former Trinidad & Tobago international. "It’s not just the football match, it’s the whole occasion, coming to the stadium, having the ambiance, seeing the band perform and getting interactive with everyone. It’s a real fun day and hopefully we get a beautiful afternoon here in Manchester so the people can come out even more but it's a real good, fun, family event to come to.

"The fans and the families all come out to support the cause and we want to put on a good show as we know it’s for a charity and the Foundation. At the same time, there’s people paying to come in and they expect a good game in return and that’s what we will try to give them."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
King of Bling Yorke says Sydney FC’s the biggest and the best Australian club
By David Lewis (Special Broadcasting Service)

Yorke, who skippered the Sky Blues to championship glory against Central Coast Mariners in the first year of the competition in 2005-2006, believes the club dubbed ‘Bling FC’ during his one-year tenure remains Australia’s pre-eminent force.

And he will be keeping one eye on the outcome of the Big Blue back in the UK, admitting his "soft spot" for Sydney still runs deep.

The former Manchester United great - who made 21 appearances for Sydney as its $1 million marquee maestro - told The World Game: "I have incredible memories of my time with the club and to set up the winning goal in the grand final for Steve Corica (now a member of Sydney’s coaching staff) was nice.

"It was an amazing time to play my part in putting the A-League on the sporting map in Australia and taking the game forward.

"To win the title was an added bonus, because it capped off an amazing season for us, and I see no reason why they boys can't do it again.

"They beat Melbourne Victory in 2010 in the grand final and I know what it would mean for the club to do it again and pick up a third A-League championship.

"For me, Sydney are the biggest club in Australia. They are the focal point of the A-League and they always have been.

"They are always knocking on the door in terms of winning the A-League and to beat Melbourne Victory would be big for the club and also for the city itself.

"There's always been that rivalry there, even in the early days of the competition, and it will be all about who controls their nerves best on the day, sticks to their game plan and takes their opportunities when they come."

Having famously won the European Cup, Premier League and FA Cup treble with United in 1999, Yorke found his way to Sydney after subsequent spells with Blackburn and Birmingham and went on to skipper Trinidad and Tobago at the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany when he departed Australia.

Playing in midfield, the ever-smiling Yorke still scored seven goals and adorned the social pages almost as often as the back pages a he cut a swathe through Sin City.

His crowning glory against the Mariners was also his last match for the club as the Sky Blues sought to rein in their spending in season two of the competition.

The game is still fresh in his mind as he looks back nostalgically.

"I remember threading the pass to "Bimbi" (Corica) and he did the rest ... I know what it feels like to capture an A-League title and hopefully the current Sydney players will have that same feeling on Sunday," said Yorke, now a TV pundit.

A surprise omission from the PFA’s recently named A-League Team of the Decade - where fellow former Sydney FC star Alessandro Del Piero only made the bench - Yorke believes the marquee concept must remain a part of the fabric of the competition.

"It's all about attracting the best talent and giving fans something out of the ordinary and that's where players like Del Piero come in," he added.

"There was always that element of doubt when I came to Australia (aged 33) that I would deliver that marquee fire.

"I was that glamour guy coming in and that's all well and good ... but I feel I produced also and I was grateful that I played alongside a bunch of guys how believed in what I was trying to achieve.

"I was happy to be given the opportunity to start the trend. Australia is a country with a great sporting tradition and has produced greats like Mark Viduka and Harry Kewell who made their names aboard.

"But when you have a big name foreign player join a team, whether it's Sydney FC or anybody else, it can only be good for the competition because it attracts a wider audience."

While pointing out the lure of the MLS and now Asia as big draw cards for star players nearing the ends of their careers, Yorke wouldn't hesitate to recommend the A-League also as a football destination.

"Of course Australia has a fair bit of competition on its hands but its important for the growth of the game to continue to try and attract the top layers at the back end of their careers," he added.

"In terms of what a city like Sydney, and Australia as a whole has to offer, it's a place and league I would urge any payer to embrace."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke admits interest in Sunderland top job
« Reply #206 on: May 21, 2015, 02:33:47 PM »
Dwight Yorke admits interest in Sunderland top job
By James Cambridge (express.co.uk)

DWIGHT YORKE has revealed his interest in becoming Sunderland manager one day.

The 43-year-old, who played for the Black Cats from 2006 to 2009, says he has 'unfinished business' with the club.

And has admitted that it's a role he would seriously consider should Dick Advocaat depart at the end of the season.

He told Kicca: "I feel that I'm in a good place now that it is something that would be very appealing to me if and when that job does come about maybe it is something that I would really consider looking into.

"Certainly I've made no secret that I'm doing my coaching badges at this point in time

"I take football very seriously and I've learnt a lot over the years being a professional player for a number of years, been part of a backroom staff, learning my coaching badges.

"And I feel that one day given the chance the opportunity may come along at Sunderland it would be a team of great interest to me because I feel I've got unfinished business there.

"I see myself as an aspiring, new, young manager coming through the ranks once I've finished my qualifications this year I will certainly be looking at it with one eye.

"At the moment we know Dick Advocaat is the manager there and we wish him well. Again they are a club that I have a great deal of admiration for."

Yorke made made 59 league appearances for Sunderland scoring six times.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:11:45 PM by Tallman »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2015, 05:35:09 AM »
WATCH: Dwight Yorke against Nottingham Forest in 1992. Check the elegant cut-back and calm finish.
https://vine.co/v/Mr6P5zW7ddY

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2015, 07:27:21 AM »
Yuh doh see much ah dat in the Top Flight these days. Exquisite 1v1 attacking. Credit to the keeper for not gehhin caught up in the feint ... although in the end, what was to be, was to be. #MadeinTobago

1]; } ?>