April 24, 2024, 08:14:28 PM

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke Official Thread  (Read 95709 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Keane dampens Yorke ambitions
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2008, 10:52:22 AM »
Of course if it was a Brit he would have neva open his yap so is 4 DY 2 come play 4 we and tell Keane go come up wit a strategy when I and Carlos in d RWB
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2008, 11:02:52 AM »
But it's blatantly clear that's exactly what he doing. Choosing, which teams he wants to play against, when he wants to join up with the team.

Oh really... so what's his motivation this time?  Unless it is your assertion that Yorke has chosen to come out of retirement so that he could play against the likes of Guatemala then your argument falls apart.  If "selective retirement" was his purpose then why would he come back now at the start of qualification and not wait until later on against 'better' competition, and when the path to SA 2010 might be clearer?  

And as for political reasons, you think Yorke is the first int'l player to retire for political reasons? STEUPS pls. And he ain't the first Trini either to retire for political reasons. Latas retired with dwight in that same campaign, came back for the 2006 campaign, retired after that in a fitting game at the HSL and we haven't heard a peep from him again with respect to any coming out of retirement.

Shaka retired again for political reasons in the 90s, came back, retired after WC Germany, had his nice retirement game and that's it as well, no speculation as to will I,  won't I. punto final.

And your mentioning Shaka and Latas is supposed to say what... that whatever they do Yorke should do as well?  This is so patently stupid... but I will indulge you.  First off, no one even insinuated that Yorke was the only player to retire due to politics.  In fact the very fact that you so triumphantly point out that others have done it before actually makes my point... that he retired prematurely.  He clearly still had a lot of football left in him.  Whether Shaka or Latas choose to retire and stay retire is entirely immaterial.  Shaka retired not just from international football... in case you missed it... but from football period, citing a desire to be closer to his family.  Latas has decided to retire from international football for reasons I'm not privy to...but it's worth noting that he's 40-years old and aware of his apparently diminishing abilities.

I find your second comment laughable; although Sunderland might not have had a lot to do with his progress as a player; arriving at the stadium of light in his waning years, surely the vast majority of credit for Dwight Yorke's success as a player has to be given to Aston Villa and Manchester United, not Trinidad and Tobago
What's laughable are the shortcomings in your intellect as demonstrated by this foolish and simplistic misinterpretation of my point.  At NO POINT did I say that Trinidad and Tobago was responsible for Dwight Yorke being where he is.  Once you put down whatever crack pipe yuh smoking and the fog clears go back and read and see where you could find me saying that.  What I DID say was that TnT had MORE to do with him being the player he is than SUNDERLAND has.  The comparison was deliberately limited to current club, vs. country... of THOSE TWO, to whom does he owe the most?  

Your tangential mutterings about Aston Villa and ManU is relevant for reasons known only to yourself.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:02:41 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 11:04:42 AM »
Hold Up. All yuh reading the same article that I read ?

When asked whether Yorkie would be returning to Int'l duty; Keane said No.

Fair Enough. Why ? Cuz as far as he knows Yorkie was retired, however makes ' guest appearances' much like the one against England, where AGAIN he said it was a ONE OFF and that he WOULD NOT be looking to be part of the WC 2012 campaign.

So as far as Keane knows, Yorkie is still retired from Int'l football and the only reports he getting of him coming out of retirement again are through the media.

So correctly, he says he has to sit down with his player to discuss the situation. The only opinionated comment he added was that he 'hoped' he would remain retired. It's no command or riot act, only a wish.

I find ppl on this forum tend to get a bit partial when it comes to foreigners talking about our players, when the issue would be handled similarly with any other player, given the temperament of the Sunderland manager

Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 11:06:20 AM »
de man see how Jones mash up he knee in ah friendly...he eh want Yorke to shatter de 'old' bones   against ah next friendly opponent
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2008, 11:10:20 AM »
But it's blatantly clear that's exactly what he doing. Choosing, which teams he wants to play against, when he wants to join up with the team.

Oh really... so what's his motivation this time?  Unless it is your assertion that Yorke has chosen to come out of retirement so that he could play against the likes of Guatemala then your argument falls apart.  If "selective retirement" was his purpose then why would he come back now at the start of qualification and not wait until later on against 'better' competition, and when the path to SA 2010 might be clearer in focus? 

And as for political reasons, you think Yorke is the first int'l player to retire for political reasons? STEUPS pls. And he ain't the first Trini either to retire for political reasons. Latas retired with dwight in that same campaign, came back for the 2006 campaign, retired after that in a fitting game at the HSL and we haven't heard a peep from him again with respect to any coming out of retirement.

Shaka retired again for political reasons in the 90s, came back, retired after WC Germany, had his nice retirement game and that's it as well, no speculation as to will I,  won't I. punto final.

And your mentioning Shaka and Latas is supposed to say what... that whatever they do Yorke should do as well?  This is so patently stupid... but I will indulge you.  First off, no one even insinuated that Yorke was the only player to retire due to politics.  In fact the very fact that you so triumphantly point out that others have done it before actually makes my point... that he retired prematurely.  He clearly still had a lot of football left in him.  Whether Shaka or Latas choose to retire and stay retire is entirely immaterial.  Shaka retired not just from international football... in case you missed it... but from football period, citing a desire to be closer to his family.  Latas has decided to retire from international football for reasons I'm not privy to...but it's worth noting that he's 40-years old and aware of his apparently diminishing abilities.

I find your second comment laughable; although Sunderland might not have had a lot to do with his progress as a player; arriving at the stadium of light in his waning years, surely the vast majority of credit for Dwight Yorke's success as a player has to be given to Aston Villa and Manchester United, not Trinidad and Tobago
What's laughable are the shortcomings in your intellect as demonstrated by this foolish and simplistic misinterpretation of my point.  At NO POINT did I say that Trinidad and Tobago was responsible for Dwight Yorke being where he is.  Once you put down whatever crack pipe yuh smoking and the fog clears go back and read and see where you could find me saying that.  What I DID say was that TnT had MORE to do with him being the player he is than SUNDERLAND has.  The comparison was deliberately limited to curren club, vs. country... of THOSE TWO, to whom does he owe the most? 

Your tangential mutterings about Aston Villa and ManU is relevant for reasons known only to yourself.

You know what's funny about ALL your posts. Anytime you're challenged or 'found out'  on this forum, you always bring up some point about someone's intellectual shortcomings, which says a lot about yours.

Of course TnT would have more to do with his development than Sunderland, he's been eligible to play for TnT for 36 years and at Sunderland for less than 2 !!

You're really a level headed individual, with chips on both ur shoulders!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2008, 11:13:50 AM »
Y should he wish he remain retire as it was said if he was Brit would he have said d same ting. I doubt it 
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline TTR- 78 Batch

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2008, 11:24:56 AM »
One has to wonder If Sunderland knew Dwighty still had ambitions of playing international football, would they be willing to give him this new contract. Remember folks  when you spending your money you need to know what you are paying for, At his age is it true that Dwight would not be as effective playing for Sunderland, if he chose get involve in a rigorous WCQ program

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2008, 11:25:38 AM »
You know what's funny about ALL your posts. Anytime you're challenged or 'found out'  on this forum, you always bring up some point about someone's intellectual shortcomings, which says a lot about yours.

Oh really?  Point out for me again where you "challenged" or "found me out" as you put it.  I notice you had no response to the holes I blew in your assertion that Yorke was only choosing to play against certain teams, and your non-point about Shaka and Latas.  I wonder who's the one who's been 'found out'  :thinking:

The only relevance I see to you throwing out this smokescreen... is that you somehow hope it would distract from the fact that you either deliberately introduced a red-herring into the fray when you couldn't come up with a good counter to my point about Sunderland v. TnT... or you're genuinely stupid enough to actually believe that you had a point by mentioning Villa and ManU.

Of course TnT would have more to do with his development than Sunderland, he's been eligible to play for TnT for 36 years and at Sunderland for less than 2 !!

...and for that reason from an entirely objective standpoint Dwight owes more to TnT than to Sunderland.  Thereby refuting your non-argument that Sunderland pays his salary therefore he should defer to their wishes.  Thank you for helping me make my point.  Parting gifts at the door.

You're really a level headed individual, with chips on both ur shoulders!

Why thank you... I prefer to wear my chips on my shoulders, rather than between my ears.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:29:10 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2008, 11:26:07 AM »
One has to wonder If Sunderland knew Dwighty still had ambitions of playing international football, would they be willing to give him this new contract. Remember folks  when you spending your money you need to know what you are paying for, At his age is it true that Dwight would not be as effective playing for Sunderland, if he chose get involve in a rigorous WCQ program

finalmente an objective post

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2008, 11:37:01 AM »
Of course if it was a Brit he would have neva open his yap so is 4 DY 2 come play 4 we and tell Keane go come up wit a strategy when I and Carlos in d RWB
You do know that Keane is Irish, right?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2008, 11:37:57 AM »

If Sunderland harbored any such concerns then they simply could have written disincentives into the contract for him returning to international football... or even better, have a cancellation clause in place conditioned on his return to international duty.  So it's either they considered the possibility and decided it was worth the risk... or they failed to consider it and didn't do their due diligence, in which case it's their ass to catch.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2008, 11:38:39 AM »
You do know that Keane is Irish, right?

we know he is Irish..you missing the point

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2008, 11:39:07 AM »
Its written all over the international news wire dat Dwight Yorke of Trinidad and Tobago came out of retirement to resume football duties for his country..................tell Kean to shut he dutty mudderkhunt...........he feel Yorke chupid ah wah..........he sign he new contract den he announce he playing fuh T&T....................is not juss last week Keane stated dat players have to look out fuh demself and yadda yadda yadda..............put dat in yuh pipe and smoke it.................we coming fuh KJ as SOON as he healthy to Kean..........yuh could only hide him but so much longer

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2008, 11:43:57 AM »
I ain't really see anything wrong with what Keane has intimated.

Objectively speaking, without bias, it's Sunderland who paying is wages. Many players retire from int'l football citing concentrating on club football as a major reason and even those that don't, create a legitimate expectation in their club's mind that that would be a result.

Clubs then might start to make more concrete plans around that player and we don't even know if that was the basis upon which Sunderland granted (a rather generous IMO) one year extension to Dwight.

These clubs need certainty with respect to their players commitments over a season.

Yes, players are allowed to play for their national teams and that is always paramount, but when you have a man choosing selective retirement, coming out when he pleases, it does create uncertainty for a club planning for their season.
Your statement presumes that Sunderland "Granted" Dwight an extension!

Dwight does not evoke any sentiment among Sunderland fans and I don't see Keane being a sentimental guy. Therefore, maybe it is actually the other way around, i.e. Dwight "agreed" to a one year extension as he is expected to make a contribution to the club. Whether it is as a player, coach or in combination doesn't matter. What matter is he has value and therefore leverage.

You guys sometimes like to talk about players like they should feel honored to get a contract. Like someone is granting them a favor. That totally devalues their talent and the work they put in daily to get to a level that someone wants to pay them.
TnT Patriot

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2008, 11:51:49 AM »
I ain't really see anything wrong with what Keane has intimated.

Objectively speaking, without bias, it's Sunderland who paying is wages. Many players retire from int'l football citing concentrating on club football as a major reason and even those that don't, create a legitimate expectation in their club's mind that that would be a result.

Clubs then might start to make more concrete plans around that player and we don't even know if that was the basis upon which Sunderland granted (a rather generous IMO) one year extension to Dwight.

These clubs need certainty with respect to their players commitments over a season.

Yes, players are allowed to play for their national teams and that is always paramount, but when you have a man choosing selective retirement, coming out when he pleases, it does create uncertainty for a club planning for their season.
Your statement presumes that Sunderland "Granted" Dwight an extension!

Dwight does not evoke any sentiment among Sunderland fans and I don't see Keane being a sentimental guy. Therefore, maybe it is actually the other way around, i.e. Dwight "agreed" to a one year extension as he is expected to make a contribution to the club. Whether it is as a player, coach or in combination doesn't matter. What matter is he has value and therefore leverage.

You guys sometimes like to talk about players like they should feel honored to get a contract. Like someone is granting them a favor. That totally devalues their talent and the work they put in daily to get to a level that someone wants to pay them.

At 36 going on 37 years old, any player, regardless of nationality or reputation vying for an outfield position, in one of the fastest leagues in the world, should feel blessed to get a contract with an EPL team.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2008, 12:09:42 PM »
Yes I know he is Ih but d odds dat dem Irish qualifyin eh likely thus d Brit comment.

If dey sign DY because he was not goinn 2 play 4 oui then try 4 breech of contract

Offline scarface

• Hero Warrior
  • ultra del vicchia signora
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2008, 12:19:05 PM »
Hold Up. All yuh reading the same article that I read ?

When asked whether Yorkie would be returning to Int'l duty; Keane said No.

Fair Enough. Why ? Cuz as far as he knows Yorkie was retired, however makes ' guest appearances' much like the one against England, where AGAIN he said it was a ONE OFF and that he WOULD NOT be looking to be part of the WC 2012 campaign.

So as far as Keane knows, Yorkie is still retired from Int'l football and the only reports he getting of him coming out of retirement again are through the media.

So correctly, he says he has to sit down with his player to discuss the situation. The only opinionated comment he added was that he 'hoped' he would remain retired. It's no command or riot act, only a wish.

I find ppl on this forum tend to get a bit partial when it comes to foreigners talking about our players, when the issue would be handled similarly with any other player, given the temperament of the Sunderland manager

i eh mean to jump in allyuh argument but.....

u holding yuh own special WC awa?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2008, 12:20:55 PM »
D stadia in SA eh go b ready 4 2010 so is 2012 d WC go b

Offline scarface

• Hero Warrior
  • ultra del vicchia signora
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2008, 12:24:32 PM »
sorry sorry i didn't realise  ;D

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2008, 12:48:38 PM »
Yes I know he is Ih but d odds dat dem Irish qualifyin eh likely thus d Brit comment.

If dey sign DY because he was not goinn 2 play 4 oui then try 4 breech of contract
Ireland will be in South Africa in 2010.  Now that we have a Champions League winning manager instead of a guy who has never managed a single match in his life (Staunton) the sky is the limit.

Offline TTR- 78 Batch

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2008, 01:33:27 PM »
If Sunderland harbored any such concerns then they simply could have written disincentives into the contract for him returning to international football... or even better, have a cancellation clause in place conditioned on his return to international duty.  So it's either they considered the possibility and decided it was worth the risk... or they failed to consider it and didn't do their due diligence, in which case it's their ass to catch.

Point well taken Bake N Shark, but use yuh experience and tell me if it come to a serious confrontation who will be the looser. Remember York will be fighting hard for a regular spot on that team, what if kean decides he can't handle both club and country and he just leave York off the team. Also remember we can't possibly put everything on a contract, and LOYALTY IS A TWO WAY STREET. give me yuh views on this without cussing meh
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:47:22 PM by TTR- 78 Batch »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2008, 02:33:31 PM »
If Sunderland harbored any such concerns then they simply could have written disincentives into the contract for him returning to international football... or even better, have a cancellation clause in place conditioned on his return to international duty.  So it's either they considered the possibility and decided it was worth the risk... or they failed to consider it and didn't do their due diligence, in which case it's their ass to catch.

Point well taken Bake N Shark, but use yuh experience and tell me if it come to a serious confrontation who will be the looser. Remember York will be fighting hard for a regular spot on that team, what if kean decides he can't handle both club and country and he just leave York off the team. Also remember we can't possibly put everything on a contract, and LOYALTY IS A TWO WAY STREET. give me yuh views on this without cussing meh

Lol.. contrary to whatever perception you have, I doh just rail off and start cussing for no good reason  :D

Well Dwight would be the loser if he's benched or dropped.  He won't be playing club football unless they loan him out or something.  But at the end of the day he'll still have his guaranteed contract in hand and they'll still be obligated to pay him.  As I said very early on, Keane's priorities are rightly with the club and not with the player...he's on the management side of things now.  My criticism of him is that he has a disturbing fondness for negotiating in the press... he uses the press as though wielding a sword against whomever the object of his tirade is.  All he had to say that Dwight's announcement is a bit concerning to him, but he'll discuss it with the player. 

To say that Yorke "keeps playing in these friendlies" is to imply that Yorke's focus and priorities aren't where they should be.  When you look at the record this is really tantamount to slander, b/c unless I'm mistaken Yorke hasn't played in any games since the blacklist thing came down...which is to say that the England friendly was the first match he's played for TnT since joining Sunderland.  Now I'm just going off of memory here, so if he played other matches then I stand corrected in advance.  But that being the case...what is Keane's beef?  What 'friendlies' are he talking about?  Yorke played in one friendly, and has now offered his services for the qualification campaign.  To essentially go in the press and disparage him for that...I just don't see the logic in it.  But of course, Keane being the blowhard that he is, we've really come to expect no less.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2008, 02:42:33 PM »
Yorke can decide at any time whether he is availale for international duty....... That is his RIGHT

Keane can decide at any time whether Yorke is fit to play for Sunderland based on his evaluation....... That is his RIGHT
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2008, 02:49:22 PM »

Lol.. contrary to whatever perception you have, I doh just rail off and start cussing for no good reason  :D
All he had to say that Dwight's announcement is a bit concerning to him, but he'll discuss it with the player. 

To essentially go in the press and disparage him for that...I just don't see the logic in it

Show me where in that article Keane 'disparage' Yorke.

Keane said, to his knowledge, Yorkie was retired, by his own volition,  but that he will sit down and discuss the situation with him in the next few days.

You reading something into nothing, but as you say of Keane, we've come to expect nothing less
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:52:36 PM by FLi ! »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2008, 02:56:23 PM »

Show me where in that article Keane 'disparage' Yorke.

Keane said, to his knowledge, Yorkie was retired, by his own volition,  but that he will sit down and discuss the situation with him in the next few days.

You reading something into nothing, but as you say of Keane, we've come to expect nothing less

I believe I said he "essentially" disparaged him in the press...it wasn't just throw-away usage of the word.  To me the implicit questioning of his priorities is tantamount to slander as I said.  I'll gladly retract "disparage" and substitute 'rebuke' in it's stead, if that'll make it better for you. 

If you still disagree then according to 'g', that is your right.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:58:42 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2008, 04:29:53 PM »
Not being funny lads but I have said it before, you need to be very careful when you read any RK quotes.  Half the time it is obvious on camera a lot of what is said is "tongue in cheek". 

RK tends to speak what he is thinking rather than thinking about what he is saying, which makes a refreshing change and headlines but not necessarily the most diplomatic.  I noticed on the Ronaldo thread taht he got slated for putting his 2 cents in, the fact is if he is asked a question in the press conference he answers it 99 times out of 100.  Nearly every manager was asked about Blatter's comments, he answered the way he thinks no more no less. 

I can't see what all the fuss is about to be frank, it was obvious that a deal was done between T&T and the club over the England match after the previous fiasco. RK gave Dwight another year despite the rather unfortunate way his comments were reported about the deal in Australia falling through.  People seemed to have forgot that Dwight and Roy are friends similar to the comment last season about him being too old to mess about with the youths when he injured himself.  Roy was or is still under the impression he has retired from international duty, it may of been in the press but he has been away doing his coaching stuff and didn't return from holiday until late last week, so he may not of even seen the press.  I just think its a lot of fuss about nothing.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2008, 05:06:19 PM »
Ireland I eh cing it Scotland more likely

giggsy11

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2008, 05:11:32 PM »
U cyah compare Lara and Shaka wit Yorke. Dem fellas have a life plan Yorke eh have none

Have more kids with a few more women.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2008, 05:29:08 PM »
If he plannin 2 make dem play 4 oui or is a hit and miss ting will determine whether hehave a plan

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2008, 03:43:58 AM »
"If Sunderland harbored any such concerns then they simply could have written disincentives into the contract for him returning to international football... or even better, have a cancellation clause in place conditioned on his return to international duty.  So it's either they considered the possibility and decided it was worth the risk... or they failed to consider it and didn't do their due diligence, in which case it's their ass to catch."

great idea......... except that it's illegal in the EU
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

1]; } ?>