March 28, 2024, 07:31:36 AM

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke Official Thread  (Read 94892 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Dwight Yorke Official Thread
« Reply #390 on: July 11, 2020, 06:04:43 AM »
Yorke urges students: 'You can achieve like me'
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

Dwight Yorke, who is undoubtedly one of T&T's most prolific and accomplished goalscorer, is now urging young footballers at the nation's schools, that they too can achieve as he did.

"It is achievable if you are prepared to work for it," Yorke said.

Speaking at the Virtual Faith and Confidence Ceremony of the Caribbean Association of Principals of Secondary Schools (CAPSS) webinar on Thursday, which was called to bless the students ahead of the CSEC and CAPE examinations next week, Yorke said: "The opportunity is down for the younger generation now to achieve what they want to achieve. It's up to the individual how hard they want to work for it."

'The Smiling Assassin' as he is passionately known, due to his famous smile after goals, Yorke said the path to the English football leagues are a lot easier today than it was back in his times because of the work done by people like Shaka Hislop, Russell Latapy and himself in clearing the path for those coming after.

Yorke scored 123 goals in the Premier League, a record for a non-European which was not broken until Sergio Aguero in 2017. Throughout his club career, he played for Aston Villa, Manchester United, Blackburn Rovers, Birmingham City, Sydney FC in Australia and Sunderland mainly as a forward between 1988 and 2009.

He was the assistant manager of the T&T team until the completion of the qualifying matches for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

At the international level, Yorke represented T&T on 74 occasions between 1989 and 2009, scoring 19 goals. Through it all, he said he had to find a balance between his academics and the sports he played, particularly at Signal Hill Secondary where he ran marathon, played football, table tennis, badminton and played cricket. Yorke said it was because of the dedicated teachers, who gave up extra hours to ensure that he caught up with his academics.

"It is achievable if you're prepared to work for it. It was hard work to try and balance everything. At the age of 15, I moved to Trinidad and I went to St Augustine Comprehensive at the time, and the reason I moved to Trinidad was that I was already on the national senior team, so they moved me to Trinidad so that I could balance my school work as well as represent the country.

"We were one point away from qualifying for the 1990 World Cup. So it was achievable if you were prepared to work for it and I was prepared to work, both with my football and my academics at the time."

According to Yorke, there should be no excuses for youngsters not balancing their academics and sports now, due to the technology at this time.

He said, "I encourage the kids, yes play your sports if you can and if you have any ambition to follow in my footsteps, but it is equally important that your academics are up to par to balance them both because just in case the sports do not work out you make sure you have your qualification going forward."

Meanwhile, Yorke said he is interested in becoming a manager now and will put out the same determination he had as a player, to become a manager. The 48-year-old said although he has had a few failed attempts at becoming a manager in Europe, he will not give up, saying he will "continue trying and trying until he achieves".

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #391 on: July 12, 2020, 06:42:48 PM »
Katie Price reveals her son Harvey is in intensive care
By Chris Edwards (Yahoo News).

Katie Price has revealed her son Harvey is in intensive care.

On Sunday (July 12), a representative confirmed that the 18-year-old was rushed to hospital with difficulty breathing, and is at risk of organ failure.

Katie has since taken to social media to reassure her fans that Harvey is in a stable condition.

Alongside an image of the two of them, she wrote on Twitter and Instagram: "I can confirm Harvey is in intensive care and in the best hands.

"I would like to thank the ambulance services and the hospital staff for the quick response and making him stable."

A spokesperson for Katie told The Sun: "His condition is very dangerous and Katie is terrified.

"He has a temperature of 42 degrees and is struggling to breathe. One of his conditions is adrenal failure that could cause his organs to fail and is very dangerous."

Harvey has a number of health conditions, including the rare genetic disorder Prader-Willi Syndrome, partial blindness due to Septo-optic dysplasia, diabetes, and an an underactive thyroid.

This is Harvey's second health scare in recent weeks, having previously been rushed to hospital during his sister Princess' 13th birthday party last month.

At the time, a representative told The Mail Online: "He has complex medical requirements that require close monitoring and from time to time an alert flags up.

"Katie was deeply concerned. Harvey had a temperature and presented chest pains - thankfully on this occasion his symptoms are that of picking up a common bug.

"But Katie did fear the worst - yesterday was a highly emotional day with Princess' birthday and then the sudden decline of Harvey’s health."

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 12, 2020, 09:10:00 PM »
Hope everything turns out well for him. Blessings.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #393 on: July 17, 2020, 05:53:39 AM »
'F*ck off & get lost' - Yorke asked Sir Alex Ferguson for paid year off while at Man Utd.
Yahoo News.

Dwight Yorke has revealed he asked legendary Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson for a year off after helping the club to their historic treble triumph in 1999.

The Trinidad and Tobago international forward was a key figure as United won the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League in the 1998-99 campaign, a trio of trophies which has never since been matched by an English club in the same season.

Yorke scored 29 goals in 52 appearances in all competitions that season - and clearly felt his efforts warranted a significant rest, revealing he made the bold move of going into Ferguson's office and asking for a year off to celebrate and recuperate.

He told the UTD Podcast: "Yeah, with pay. I mean what else is there to do in football after winning the treble?

"I was on such a high. It was ridiculous. Concorde was flying back then and I remember we went to New York. Back in the days they used to put you up with the pilot. I got to New York and I thought 'what else is there to achieve after this?' because everything else will be a failure or deemed as a failure.

"I went into the gaffer's office and said 'what are we doing? After winning the treble there's nothing to do. Can I have a year off from football with pay? Then I'll come back the next year and rejoin the team'.

"I honestly don't know what made me think that. What more could we possibly do as a team? Yeah we could repeat it but if you don't then the team is a failure. If there was a time you were going to ask the gaffer for anything, that was it. I didn't have anything to lose.

"He could only tell me to f*** off, which he did. He said 'f*** off and get lost'. It was jokingly but if he had said to take a year off then I would have done. But I knew that wasn't going to happen so I thought it was worth a try."

United won the Premier League by a single point from Arsenal in the 1998-99 season, before defeating Newcastle United 2-0 in the FA Cup final.

The treble was completed in dramatic style in the Champions League final at Barcelona's Camp Nou, with injury-time strikes from Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer earning a 2-1 victory over Bayern Munich.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #394 on: September 23, 2020, 09:24:59 AM »
Rio Ferdinand story about Dwight Yorke shows Alex Ferguson's ruthless streak.
By Patrick McCarry (joe.co.uk).

"That conversation stayed with me for the rest of my career"

In July 2002, Manchester United paid a then record English fee £29m to Leeds United to take Rio Ferdinand off their hands. It was an apt response to United finishing second to Arsenal, the previous season, and having an impressive streak of league success broken.

Dwight Yorke was still on United's books at the time but Ferguson had made up his mind about the striker. Yorke had scored 65 goals in 152 games for United (winning the Golden Boot in the treble-winning 1998/99 season in the process) but switched into cruise control from around 2001.

Ferdinand recalled being shown around the United training facilities by Yorke when he first arrived at the club. Ferguson was monitoring the pair closely.

Ferdinand said: "Dwight had won the treble a couple of years before and him and Andy Cole had been on fire up front. I was walking around the training ground with him and remember Alex Ferguson walking out of his office and saying, 'Alright boys. Good morning!'

"We both said good morning back. I went and had breakfast with Yorkie and we headed out to training. As we were going out, Ferguson called me - 'Rio. Rio! Come over here'.

"It's Alex Ferguson so the respect levels are crazy high anyway. It's like the head teacher at school calling you over on your first day.

"I walked over and he said, 'Do you want to be here a long time?' I said, 'Yeah. I want to win everything and do as well as I can, boss.'

"Ferguson then said, 'Well the first thing you should think about doing is not hanging around with him [Yorke] because he ain't going to be here'. Wow. I said, 'What?' Ferguson says, 'He was unbelievable. He won everything but he's got complacent now'.

"When he said that, it really hit home to me that no one is safe at this club. Dwight Yorke was walking around as the king of Manchester as he'd won the treble and had been a big part of that. But if you start letting standards slip or if the intensity is not there at the training ground, you've got to go. That conversation stayed with me for the rest of my career at Man United. That fear of being pushed out the door because I wasn't as intense as I was at the beginning."

Ferguson was true to his word as Yorke was sold to Blackburn Rovers a week later. The United boss had tried to ship him off to Middlesbrough in January of 2002 but the deal fell through.

As if to drive home to Yorke that he would not be part of his 2002/03 plans, Ferguson did not give the striker a squad number for the new season. After two great seasons and two underwhelming seasons, Yorke was on the move.

As for Rio Ferdinand, he played 12 seasons at United, won six league titles and a European Cup in 2008.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:29:38 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorke working with Manchester United Under-23s
« Reply #395 on: September 25, 2020, 09:19:44 AM »
Yorke working with Manchester United Under-23s
By Adam Marshall (manutd.com)

Manchester United legend Dwight Yorke has been working with the club's Under-23s and will attend Friday night's live MUTV encounter with Liverpool.

The Treble hero, top scorer in that incredible 1998/99 season, is gaining some coaching experience over the next two weeks, with a view to hopefully obtaining a managerial post in the near future.

By passing on some of his expertise to lead coach Neil Wood's group, it is clearly a win-win situation for both parties.

United are privileged to be able to accommodate visits from former players during the season, with Patrice Evra another Old Trafford great who has spent time with the youngsters.

Quinton Fortune, of course, recently worked as assistant to Wood before joining Reading, while Nicky Butt spends a lot of time working with the boys, in his role as head of first-team development.

Yorke will appreciate more than most that a game with Liverpool at any level is one to relish, he scored against them in the 2-2 Premier League draw at Anfield in 1999 and the famous FA Cup victory in the same year, equalising late on before Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's dramatic winner.

United will face a real challenge in Premier League 2, following promotion last term, with a number of key players moved out on loan to further their development. It means Wood is working with a youthful squad, as shown by the fact that 16-year-old Shola Shoretire came off the bench to make his Under-23s debut in the opener against Leicester City.

Friday's game at Leigh Sports Village, which kicks off at 19:00 BST, should provide another real test for the team, with the match against Liverpool being shown live in full on MUTV.

There will be another chance to gain valuable experience in the EFL Trophy on Tuesday (19:45 BST), when Rochdale provide the opposition at the Crown Oil Arena, following our 6-0 win at Salford City in the opening group fixture.

Meanwhile, the game away to Blackburn Rovers in Premier League has been moved from Monday 5 October to Friday 2 October with a 14:00 BST kick-off.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 25, 2020, 11:39:08 AM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 25, 2020, 11:46:32 PM »
:thumbsup:

He was wasting time. Should have done that years ago.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
An ode to Dwight Yorke & successfully combining playing with partying
« Reply #398 on: November 03, 2020, 12:26:42 PM »
An ode to Dwight Yorke & successfully combining playing with partying
By Benedict O’Neill (planetfootball.com)

Dwight Yorke enjoyed a brilliant career, tearing up the Premier League with Aston Villa, winning the treble with Manchester United and playing until he was 37. And he did it all despite being labelled a playboy.

Everybody knows what former Aston Villa manager John Gregory said about Dwight Yorke in the summer of 1998.

Having recently lost his star striker to Manchester United for £12.6million, Gregory confessed to some dark thoughts.

“Dwight openly stated to me that he wanted to play for Manchester United and not Aston Villa,” he said. “That really hurt me, and if I had a gun I would have shot him.”

Fortunately for Yorke, the performances of Villa strikers Julian Joachim and Dion Dublin cooled Gregory’s lust for murder.

But Yorke would receive further threats — less well-documented ones — over the course of his four-year Manchester United career.

In the early 2000s, around the time of Eminem’s stalker anthem ‘Stan’, the anonymous owner of dwight-yorke.co.uk carried out some mild blackmail against the striker.

“I wrote to Dwight Yorke a few months ago asking if he would be interested in buying this domain name,” they wrote. “I also offered to write a fan site for him at no cost. All I asked was for a small mention in the Manchester United matchday programme.”

A fair offer, and no mention of guns. Here was an opportunist simply seeking a small favour from an idol.

But Yorke never replied to the troubled fan.

“Now I imagine Dwighty boy must be quite busy with his life,” the angry webmaster wrote. “But he couldn’t even be bothered to send a short reply saying that he wasn’t insterested [sic] and for me to stick it.”

To reiterate: ‘Stan’ had just come out.

Weirdly, the webmaster’s revenge against Yorke involved posting photos of Katie Price, as well as links to her work, on dwight-yorke.co.uk. (Yorke and Price were dating at the time.)

Although it’s hard to see how this would have troubled Yorke, it was clearly an attempt to shame the footballer.

The aggressor even vowed to keep up the fight: “Everytime [sic] he changes a girlfriend, this site will change with him as well! A bit like a shadow you could say.”

United success

Back in 1998, Yorke was leaving defenders chasing shadows, you could say, after forming a deadly strike partnership with Andy Cole.

For three years the duo, born less than three weeks apart, exploited the final throes of the 4-4-2 era.

Strangely, though, that partnership might never have bloomed had United signed their first-choice forward. Not Yorke, but Patrick Kluivert of Milan.

Kluivert flourished at Barcelona in the late 90s and early 2000s, but Yorke quickly proved that he was no meagre backup, scoring seven league goals before Christmas 1998 and endearing himself to fans.

By the time United faced Aston Villa in early December, Yorke was even praised by his jilted former boss.

“[Wanting to shoot Yorke] was just how I felt at the time,” Gregory said. “I was hurt that he didn’t want to play for Villa, though I still have the utmost admiration for him as a player.”

Yorke finished United’s treble-winning season of 1998-99 with 29 goals in all competitions, his 18 league strikes earning him the Premier League Golden Boot and Player of the Season.

The following year his league tally increased to 20. And while his playing time was limited in his third campaign at Old Trafford, a 21-minute hat-trick in a 6-1 win over Arsenal helped the team to their third consecutive title.

In many ways, however, Yorke’s off-field actions came to overshadow his football.

Like his team-mate David Beckham, Yorke incurred the wrath of Alex Ferguson for his celebrity lifestyle and high-profile romantic life.

And the relationship between player and manager eventually reached breaking point.

In the 2001-02 season, Yorke’s fourth and final in Manchester, Ferguson reportedly pressured the United board to sell Yorke ahead of Cole, with both now second-choice to Ruud van Nistelrooy.

By the end of the campaign, the club had sold both halves of the legendary partnership to Blackburn.

In what now seems like an anachronism, Yorke’s final goal for United actually came playing up front alongside Van Nistelrooy, the neat header against Leicester his only league goal of the 2001-02 season.

Born to score

To his credit, Yorke was never remotely secretive about how he chose to live his life. In his delightfully named autobiography, Born to Score, the striker candidly recounts tryst upon tryst.

One encounter, described in the book in all its teen movie glory, involved Yorke hiding from a partner’s mother: “There was nothing for it but to scramble together my discarded clothes and dive under the bed while my friend played for time…”

Importantly, though, hindsight tells us those off-field activities didn’t hamper Yorke’s career as much as Ferguson thought they might.

While Yorke’s friend Mark Bosnich, a team-mate at both Aston Villa and Man United, lost a decade of his career to a troublesome party lifestyle, Yorke played at the highest level well into his thirties, eventually transforming himself into a central midfielder.

One of his greatest achievements — captaining Trinidad and Tobago at their first ever World Cup — was saved until he was 34 years old, and he didn’t retire from club or international football until the age of 37.

So while the early 2000s saw Yorke vilified for a lack of dedication and professionalism, time has actually been kind to his legacy.

Doubters assumed the ‘Jordan years’ would destroy Yorke as a footballer. Perhaps the drama took its toll in other ways, but the longevity of Yorke’s career proved he was capable of balancing two simultaneous and equally colourful lives.

And perhaps that’s where the owner of dwight-yorke.co.uk went wrong.

That anonymous ‘Stan’ figure thought public scrutiny could kill the Smiling Assassin (or at least coerce him into writing a small note of thanks in a matchday programme), but Yorke actually thrived as a celebrity.

If only others had spotted his resilience, he might have lasted far longer at Man United — perhaps until the age of 37.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #399 on: December 13, 2020, 11:20:42 AM »
Flashback: Ex-England manager, Taylor, on Yorke, Hutchinson and T&T footballers.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

The following article, based on an interview between ex-England and Aston Villa manager Graham Taylor and journalist Lasana Liburd, was first published in Trinidad Express on 6 May 2004:

“Let me tell you something that will always stay with me,” said former England and Aston Villa manager Graham Taylor. “I had just switched on the television at home and was getting to ready to watch Manchester United play Bayern Munich in the Champions’ League final when the phone rang. When I picked it up, it was Dwight [Yorke].

“He was just leaving his hotel in Barcelona to go the stadium and he said ‘I am just phoning to thank you for what you did for my career’. I was so stunned that I immediately went and told me wife what happened.

“It brought a tear to my eye.”

Taylor, one of Britain’s most respected managers, has coached many top footballers including former English standouts like John Barnes, Paul Gascoigne and Gary Lineker but none more memorable than Trinidad and Tobago star Dwight Yorke.

The player who he chanced across on a pre-season tour in Tobago and offered the opportunity to become one of the sport’s biggest names.

It seems a lifetime ago. Fifteen years to be precise.

But Taylor, who must have signed hundreds of promising players in a managerial career spanning nearly three decades, recalled his time with the player with remarkable clarity.

They met in the summer of 1989 and Yorke was an Aston Villa player before Christmas.

Their professional relationship ended two years later when Taylor replaced Bobby Robson as the English national coach. But the affable gentleman was clearly still smitten by Tobago’s ‘Smiling Assassin’.

At present, Taylor works as a television correspondent and this journalist ran into him at a Premiership fixture. It took only the words ‘Trinidad and Tobago’ and an authentic accent to convince him to grant an interview.

Some of his recollections are already well known and practically folklore in the Caribbean.

He trivialised his role in discovering the 17-year-old striker, who he first saw in a friendly contest against a Tobago XI at Shaw Park during a pre-season Caribbean tour by his Aston Villa club.

Yorke, he explained, was just too good to miss.

“You didn’t need to be an expert to recognise the qualities he had,” said Taylor. “I wanted him on my team for the second half. I wanted the other Villa players to be able to give me a first hand report on what they thought of him but [the Tobago XI] said no.

“I understood that if he scored against Tobago then, when we left, he would still have to live there and it might have been difficult for him to live down…”

Without any prompting, Taylor also remembered the second Tobagonian he invited to Birmingham for closer inspection at Villa Park.

“Colvin, I think his name was,” said Taylor, “yes, it was touch and go with Colvin. I felt he was a good player but he was 22 or 23 whereas Dwight was 16.”

(In fact, Dwight was a year older than he recalled while Colvin Hutchinson—Yorke’s teammate at Signal Hill Senior Comprehensive and on the national team—was probably a year younger.)

“I felt that, at 16, Yorke had more time to grow into the British culture,” he said. “But if we signed Colvin at 22 or 23, we would not have been able to wait two or three years for him to be in the first team as we could with Dwight. So, I had to measure him up to the midfielders we had at the time.

“I also had to weigh in the fact that the midfield position is a very demanding one and he would be playing in a league and against players much tougher than anything he could have experienced in the Caribbean.

“I also felt that he did not have that little bit extra that Dwight did.”

There was a wry smile on his face when he mentioned the price of £10,000 that Villa paid for Yorke.

It was a steal and everyone at Villa Park knew it.

Taylor suggested that such a deal could not be done now but he also felt the growing awareness of Caribbean clubs is a double-edged sword.

“Clubs cannot come and steal Caribbean players,” he said, “because there is much more awareness of the worth of players now… But, at the same time, clubs are unwilling to risk too much money on players who must still adjust to the professional circuit and a new lifestyle.

“When Dwight came here, he had never seen snow before. It is a tremendous move to go from one culture to a next at any age; whether it is 16 or 29 or 59.”

Taylor had worked with two players of Caribbean heritage before Yorke. He coached the Jamaican-born Barnes and speedy striker Luther Blissett at Watford.

Barnes moved on to stardom at Liverpool while Blissett enjoyed a stint at AC Milan.

Taylor suggested that they shared natural pace, agility, and a ‘good touch and feel for the ball’ as well as the ability to excite people.

But he explained players need special help in settling into a new environment and insisted that a Trinidad and Tobago player should never sign for a club unless he was convinced there were people within the organisation to help him adjust.

The bane of Caribbean players was on the tip of his tongue.

“You just cannot be as carefree in attitude over here,” he said, with a pained expression. “Things like punctuality are very important to people here. It means an awful lot.

“If you are told to be somewhere at 10 and you report at 10.05 or 10.15, that does not go down very well with some people at all.

“People here do not understand that the player is coming from a different world and needs to be helped to adjust.”

The scowl left his face as the conversation swung back to Yorke.

Did Yorke recreate himself as a player from a dazzling dribbler to a clinical finisher? The Soca Warriors star was initially used on the right wing at Villa but was converted into one of the Premiership’s deadliest centre-forwards.

(Yorke’s 123 Premier League goals was a record for a non-European player until Argentina and Manchester City star, Sergio Aguero, caught up with him in 2017.)

“The Yorke that I first took was a dribbler who would go at people,” said Taylor, “but as he progressed he learnt things and added things. I only had an early part in Dwight’s career but I always felt he could do whatever he wanted [in the game].

“He was always a team player but I felt that he needed to show people that he could be a star. At one point, it seemed that he was happier to be a provider than a scorer and you have to ask yourself ‘is it because he is taking himself out of the heat of the battle or he is just doing the right thing to assist his team’?

“It was about getting the right balance.”

His successful spell at Manchester United—where Yorke won League, FA and European Champions’ League titles—showed the result of the player’s maturity.

Taylor revealed that Yorke phoned him before his record £12.6 million move as well.

“When I left Villa, I gave Dwight my phone number and told him to call me whenever he had a problem,” he said. “We kept in contact on a regular basis too. One day, he called me and said that he heard through his agent that Manchester United wanted him and that Aston Villa were offering him a massive contract.

“I told him ‘Dwight, I said to call me when you have a problem; that is not a problem’.”

Taylor advised Yorke to go to United just as he left Villa when the opportunity to manage England came along.

“I know some people at Aston Villa may be mad at me for saying this,” he said, “but my advice was to go to Manchester. With all due respect to Trinidad football, I felt it was unlikely that he could perform at the highest level, which is the World Cup.

“So the next thing was European Championship football.”

Yorke’s success at Old Trafford is history—in more ways than one.

Celebrated on the field, Yorke was eventually hounded out after a string of media exposes into his private life. His move to Blackburn Rovers, two years ago, failed to re-ignite his career and a training ground bust up with manager Graeme Souness has seen the striker frozen out at Ewood Park.

Taylor does not know whether the 32-year-old striker is still capable of leading the forward line as he did at United and suggested that Yorke may be more successful now as ‘a link up player’.

However, he suggested that Yorke does not respond well to bullying managers.

“Dwight is not a person who you will get the best from if he is constantly criticised,” said Taylor. “He needs the manager’s belief to do his job. Now, he has not helped himself with some of the things [in his personal life] that he apparently did. I think he does take an awful lot of baggage with him.

“At the same time, I do not think his life as a single man is any worse than what a lot of other players do.”

He is sceptical of possible moves to Qatar or the United States Major League Soccer (MLS), which he considered to be just ‘pay offs’.

“If you are not happy at what you are doing,” he said, “you will never do your best… He needs this explained to him.”

It has been sometime since their last conversation. But Taylor explained that he was always ready to help his former signing with words of advice.

Nothing he reads or hears can tarnish his memories of Yorke and particularly that phone call before the biggest game of his career.

“Most people don’t know that side of Dwight,” said Taylor, “but that is why I always find it hard to criticise Dwight.

“That is why I will always be a Dwight Yorke fan.”

Editor’s Note: Graham Taylor OBE passed away on 12 January 2017, at the age of 72.

Dwight Yorke went on to play professional for another five years, which included England Premier League spells with Birmingham City and Sunderland City. He captained Trinidad and Tobago at the Germany 2006 World Cup. At present, he works as an analyst for SkySports, while he says racism has so far denied him the chance to become a football manager.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 03:47:41 PM by Flex »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 14, 2020, 02:44:14 PM »
 ::) :yawning:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 23, 2020, 01:52:59 PM »
WATCH: Dwight Yorke talks in-depth about his Aston Villa career and transfer saga to Manchester United

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/E4GBCNak3GM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/E4GBCNak3GM</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 28, 2020, 06:42:27 PM »
WATCH: An in-depth and wide ranging interview with Dwight Yorke where he talks about the top three players he's played against, his favourite clubs to come up against in English football, his most challenging opponent in Europe and his views on people's claims that he didn't give 100 percent for Trinidad and Tobago prior to the 2006 World Cup campaign.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uw8Xgglf4zA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uw8Xgglf4zA</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #403 on: January 03, 2021, 01:06:23 PM »
Yorke pursues UEFA Pro Licence.
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday).

HAVING SUCCESSFULLY completed the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) ‘B’ and ‘A’ coaching license, former TT football team captain Dwight Yorke is now in pursuit of the highest coaching certification available – UEFA Pro Licence.

The Manchester United global ambassador plans to complete this elite course within the coming months and is intent on landing a managerial role in Europe.

Yorke has continuously expressed his passion to lead a team from the technical area.

During his four-year stint with the ‘Red Devils’ (1998-2002), led by legendary manager Sir Alex Ferguson, Yorke earned a number of accolades.

Three English Premier League (EPL) trophies, two English League Cups, a two-time EPL and UEFA Champions League top scorer and one English Football Association (FA), Intercontinental Cup, and Australian title, with Sydney FC, proves the T&T legend knows how to apply the winning formula.

“I’ve got the desire the passion and the knowledge playing at the top level. When you get to my age, you go in a different direction. I feel deep down inside with all the knowledge I’ve gained I feel in a good place now to take up management and I’ve echoed that before,” Yorke said in a recent interview with TT Football Association (TTFA) media officer Shaun Fuentes.

In June 2020, the 49-year old unveiled several challenges he endured in trying to become a manager. The iconic striker said he was unable to secure an interview as a black professional even though he held prized recommendations from Ferguson, all of which to date, has done him no favours.

Prior to his Manchester career, Yorke also represented Aston Villa (1990-1998), and then went on to play for Blackburn Rovers (2002-2004), Birmingham City (2004-2005), Sydney FC (2005-2006) and Sunderland (2006-2009).

After earning his UEFA ‘B’ and ‘A’ licences, Yorke, who played as a midfielder for TT during their successful 2006 FIFA World Cup campaign, and participation, in Germany, applied for jobs at Aston Villa and Sunderland last year. He was, however, unable to even secure an interview with either club and pointed out there was a severe lack of racial diversity in football management.

His denial by both former clubs, according to him, was quite difficult to accept and Yorke voiced his concern to European media claiming there were no black managers in the EPL. He even went as far to say there was the possibility that there were no black persons in the backroom staff.

Now, Yorke believes he may have been overlooked because of his lack of qualification, in particular, the UEFA Pro Licence.

“I had to go back to the drawing board when I first applied for those jobs at Aston Villa and Sunderland. I then understood I had to get my qualifications as a stepping stone.

“The pro licence is something I’m looking forward to completing. This has made the opportunity to apply for jobs along the way. With a little bit of luck and people getting the news and realising that I’ve been making some progress, I should be okay,” he added.

Owing to the pandemic, Yorke has already started doing online courses towards earning his pro licence. Of the 35 applicants, Yorke was one of the 24 selected to participate in this elite managerial programme.

He also said the beautiful game has been constantly evolving, even more so, with covid19.

Looking ahead, Yorke does not want to become a full-fledge coach, but a team manager who selects the squad, gets players, generate the best out of them week-in week-out and most importantly win some matches and play exciting football.

He concluded, “Doing the pro license will enable me to apply for the best jobs out there, not saying that I would, but I feel that people might take me more seriously. Now people can’t say I don’t have the qualifications.

“We’ve seen, in the game, people fast-forwarded without their qualifications. This pro license will enable me to put myself in a position to walk the walk and do the talking as well. I look forward to it. I’m very much into the management aspect of it not just the coaching side.”

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 01:18:13 PM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #404 on: January 03, 2021, 01:08:12 PM »
Yorke wants T&T football to regain regional supremacy

FORMER SOCA Warriors captain Dwight Yorke believes T&T football needs to cut its losses and start over.

The 2006 World Cup midfielder thinks T&T needs to go back to the drawing board and rebuild its identity as one of the most feared footballing nations within the Caribbean before it even attempt to oppose higher-ranked territories.

Yorke described the culmination of the T&T Football Association’s (TTFA) administrative, financial and legal blunders over past ten months as “dark”, “disappointing” and a lingering threat to this current crop of players, as well as the future generation.

In a recent online interview with the TTFA media officer Shaun Fuentes, the 49-year old ex-Manchester United star called for a rejuvenated approach to the sport’s local affairs as the nation heads into its 2022 Concacaf World Cup qualifying campaign, in March.

“I feel that T&T needs to look at themselves and try to regain some kind of recognition and identity into world football again.

“If I were in that (TTFA) position, I would start to play the Caribbean teams again and engage with them a little more to try to reestablish who the number one regional team is.

“We need (to) return that confident and sense of belief back to the team. T&T was once a fear factor in the region but right now I don’t think any Caribbean team fears us on the pitch,” he said.

In March 2020, FIFA removed the TTFA executive, headed by then president William Wallace, and implemented a normalisation committee, chaired by Robert Hadad, because of the mounting debts by the local governing body.

FIFA suspended T&T from international football in September, after Wallace and his executive challenged their removal in the local High Court, instead of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Switzerland.

It lifted the suspension in November after Wallace withdrew all legal claims against the governing body. The normalisation committee remains in total control of all local football operations

According to Yorke, seeking to oppose higher-ranked nations as an attempt to secure a faster inflow of finances, will not aid the sport’s development.

Competing against the likes of Barbados, Jamaica and other regional squads can recreate an atmosphere of winning, even confidence, in both the players and fans.

“You want the big name teams because you can make good money," said Yorke. "It’s good public relations but equally you want to make sure the team is ready and prepared to when it comes to the World Cup games.

“Until we start getting that right again, then I’m afraid the football will be a start-stop situation. There won’t be any consistency and that’s what you need at this level. Forget playing all those big fancy teams and start with small baby steps again," he continued.

“Our football is in a mess. There’s no point going after big teams because you end up getting beat, embarrassed and then back to the drawing board again.

"Where do we go from there?” he asked.

The legendary T&T footballer hopes administrators and players alike can reflect on the past few months of turmoil and strike a balance for the sake of the sport’s up-and-coming prospects.

Yorke called on the TTFA to immediately place emphasis on player welfare and make them feel they’re a part of the organisation. As a former player, he said it’s comforting to know the people at the helm of one's local fraternity are doing everything possible to ensure the well-being of their prized-player assets.

However, he urged T&T’s current crop of players to use their struggles as encouragement.

“This is your time," said Yorke. "Forget about the past and history but use it as motivation. It can only happen with you now and you cannot go back in time. These guys need to do more, understand what it takes to represent your country. It’s the most patriotic thing you can do.”

The 2022 Concacaf World Cup qualifiers kick off in March. T&T will open its World Cup qualifying campaign against Guyana in Group F on March 25, before playing Puerto Rico on March 28. Group F also features Bahamas and St Kitts and Nevis

Additionally, in June, the Concacaf Gold Cup also gets underway.

Looking ahead, Yorke remains quietly confident but well aware of the obstacles that may come during this year.

“We have some very challenges times ahead, we certainly don’t produce the types of players we use to produce that have the experience of playing in all these (past) golden moments," Yorke noted.

“We have to make baby steps again. It’s not going to be overnight success, unfortunately. If I were part of the TTFA, or any advice I would give, concentrate on the Caribbean again.

“Get that feel again about being number one in the region because you can’t achieve things against America if you do not feel like you’re number one in the your own backyard.

“You need the public behind you as well. I dread to think if T&T were to play now how many people would be queueing up to see that team,” he concluded.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 18, 2021, 04:47:31 PM »
Yorke pursues UEFA Pro Licence.

HAVING SUCCESSFULLY completed the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) ‘B’ and ‘A’ coaching license, former TT football team captain Dwight Yorke is now in pursuit of the highest coaching certification available – UEFA Pro Licence.

The Manchester United global ambassador plans to complete this elite course within the coming months and is intent on landing a managerial role in Europe.

Yorke has continuously expressed his passion to lead a team from the technical area.

During his four-year stint with the ‘Red Devils’ (1998-2002), led by legendary manager Sir Alex Ferguson, Yorke earned a number of accolades.

Three English Premier League (EPL) trophies, two English League Cups, a two-time EPL and UEFA Champions League top scorer and one English Football Association (FA), Intercontinental Cup, and Australian title, with Sydney FC, proves the T&T legend knows how to apply the winning formula.

“I’ve got the desire the passion and the knowledge playing at the top level. When you get to my age, you go in a different direction. I feel deep down inside with all the knowledge I’ve gained I feel in a good place now to take up management and I’ve echoed that before,” Yorke said in a recent interview with TT Football Association (TTFA) media officer Shaun Fuentes.

In June 2020, the 49-year old unveiled several challenges he endured in trying to become a manager. The iconic striker said he was unable to secure an interview as a black professional even though he held prized recommendations from Ferguson, all of which to date, has done him no favours.

Prior to his Manchester career, Yorke also represented Aston Villa (1990-1998), and then went on to play for Blackburn Rovers (2002-2004), Birmingham City (2004-2005), Sydney FC (2005-2006) and Sunderland (2006-2009).

After earning his UEFA ‘B’ and ‘A’ licences, Yorke, who played as a midfielder for TT during their successful 2006 FIFA World Cup campaign, and participation, in Germany, applied for jobs at Aston Villa and Sunderland last year. He was, however, unable to even secure an interview with either club and pointed out there was a severe lack of racial diversity in football management.

His denial by both former clubs, according to him, was quite difficult to accept and Yorke voiced his concern to European media claiming there were no black managers in the EPL. He even went as far to say there was the possibility that there were no black persons in the backroom staff.

Now, Yorke believes he may have been overlooked because of his lack of qualification, in particular, the UEFA Pro Licence.

“I had to go back to the drawing board when I first applied for those jobs at Aston Villa and Sunderland. I then understood I had to get my qualifications as a stepping stone.

“The pro licence is something I’m looking forward to completing. This has made the opportunity to apply for jobs along the way. With a little bit of luck and people getting the news and realising that I’ve been making some progress, I should be okay,” he added.

Owing to the pandemic, Yorke has already started doing online courses towards earning his pro licence. Of the 35 applicants, Yorke was one of the 24 selected to participate in this elite managerial programme.

He also said the beautiful game has been constantly evolving, even more so, with covid19.

Looking ahead, Yorke does not want to become a full-fledge coach, but a team manager who selects the squad, gets players, generate the best out of them week-in week-out and most importantly win some matches and play exciting football.

He concluded, “Doing the pro license will enable me to apply for the best jobs out there, not saying that I would, but I feel that people might take me more seriously. Now people can’t say I don’t have the qualifications.

“We’ve seen, in the game, people fast-forwarded without their qualifications. This pro license will enable me to put myself in a position to walk the walk and do the talking as well. I look forward to it. I’m very much into the management aspect of it not just the coaching side.”

I now see Shrek come and get wuk before Yorke. Best he go Australia yes !

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 18, 2021, 05:48:31 PM »
Well, if Edgar Davids is cool with the Portuguese third division ...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #407 on: January 20, 2021, 02:19:13 AM »
Flashback: The Dwight stuff, why Yorke’s latter day revival was simply genius.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

The following article, written by Lasana Liburd, was first published in the Trinidad Express Sport Magazine on Thursday 15 December 2005:

Dwight Yorke is a genius.

No, really. He should hold an honorary diploma from the University of the West Indies (UWI). He should speak to the underprivileged and the differently abled. He should donate his brain to science.

This thought occurred to me at roughly 6.30am on Monday before breakfast or my morning shower.

At the time, I was watching Australian football team Sydney FC play Costa Rican outfit Deportivo Saprissa in the Fifa World Club Championship.

There was still some cold in my eye, granted, but I could see Yorke buzzing in Sydney’s midfield. He was a blur of movement. Collect, pass, change angle; collect again, spin, thread the ball.

And then, the light dawned…

Yorke had done it again. He was confounding his critics. He had successfully recreated himself.

From dazzling dribbler to attacking space invader to midfield anchor, Yorke has been reinvented as often as the Deluxe cinema/ Kaiso House/ Zen night club with at least as much success.

It takes a remarkable player to transform his game in mid-career.

An athlete trains repeatedly for years until he is able to perform his necessary tasks as though by instinct.

It takes no small amount of talent, intelligence and discipline to master a new position at the highest level and at an advanced age. But that is exactly what Yorke did when, at 28 years of age, he joined England’s most powerful club, Manchester United.

At Aston Villa, Yorke carved open opposing defences with pace and trickery. Once at United, though, he sized up his playing staff and cleverly adjusted his game accordingly, to complement the astute passing of midfielder David Beckham and the speed of strike partner Andy Cole.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson—at the time, just plain Alex Ferguson—intended for Yorke to replace Cole. Yorke knew better.

Within months, United won every major domestic and European trophy with Yorke as their most valuable player and leading scorer. The mazy dribbler everyone loved was now ghosting into spaces that few mortals could spot, with precise split second timing. Even the likes of Brazil legend, Zico, hailed the Tobagonian as a new global star.

Fast forward to 2005; as Trinidad and Tobago prepared to face Guatemala in a crucial 2006 World Cup qualifier.

In the previous match, away to the United States , Yorke asked national coach Leo Beenhakker to play in a deeper midfield role, so as to help stabilise the team. In no uncertain terms, Beenhakker told him that his best position was closer to the opposing goal. Surely, everyone knew that.

The expulsion of Dennis Lawrence, in the first half, forced the Dutch coach to grant Yorke his wish against the United States. Trinidad and Tobago won their next qualifier against Guatemala 3-2, with Yorke in midfield, and never looked back.

There have been other important factors, of course.

Enigmatic Falkirk playmaker Russell Latapy rejoined the national team—on Yorke’s request—to score and create the winner for Stern John against Guatemala.

CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh Aurtis Whitley also stepped out of the closet with a string of superb performances at the death, as the Soca Warriors tallied three victories in a four match unbeaten sequence to snatch a World Cup place.

The Trinidad and Tobago midfield area has never looked so potent.

Carlos Edwards is regularly confusing opponents with his hypnotic shuffles, Whitley possesses the surging runs, Chris Birchall has the shot and Latapy is blessed with a magical final pass. But Yorke is the glue that keeps it together. He is the pulse of the squad; the steering wheel.

In the heat of battle, fans are most excited by the finishers or the ball carriers. These are the players who win games.

At the other end, we thank God for an agile goalkeeper and capable defenders. These players save games.

On Monday morning, I appreciated a player who ran and ran and passed and passed and spun, checked his angles, then passed some more. Yorke, at 34, dictated the ebb and flow of the game. He is Trinidad and Tobago’s answer to Spanish maestro Xavi or Italian Andrea Pirlo.

God help me if he has not assimilated himself into another role.

Next June, Yorke will test his progress against the best in the business. He would try to beat Beckham at his own game.

English midfielder Steven Gerrard is quicker than Yorke, Frank Lampard packs a more formidable shot, Joe Cole is trickier in possession and Beckham has a more impressive passing range.

But I will not bet against Yorke holding his own. The converted winger-cum-striker-cum-central midfielder might even teach the young bucks a trick or two in the midfield trade that the English quartet practiced for their entire professional careers.

After all, the man is a genius.

Video - Dwight Yorke rips Manchester United apart

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 21, 2021, 09:03:54 PM »
'I'd lost him, it was an insult, and it hurt' - How Dwight Yorke tarnished his Aston Villa legacy with Manchester United move
By Ashley Preece (Birmingham Mail)

It hurt me. This was our club, my club. I felt insulted. It really got to me and he wanted to make it hurt. I just had to get him away.

The pain can still be heard in John Gregory's voice on the other end of the phone more than 22 years on from THAT historic and heartbreaking transfer saga involving Dwight Yorke's £12.6 million move from Aston Villa to Manchester United.

"Doug's eyes lit up at £8 million," Gregory, now 66, said, detailing chairman Doug Ellis' keenness to cash-in. "Villa got him for 20 grand don't forget and Doug would have sold him there and then for United's first offer of eight bloody million."

Gregory, of course, only had 11 Premier League games managing Yorke - plus two Uefa Cup quarter-final legs against Atletico Madrid - after he arrived to replace his former mentor Brian Little in February 1998. Villa were 15th and just six points above the drop-zone when Little resigned after a 2-1 defeat at Wimbledon.

Gregory was soon appointed and beat Liverpool in his first game in charge at Villa Park thanks to a vintage Stan Collymore double. Gregory would win nine of the remaining 11 matches to catapult Villa to a seventh-placed finish and European qualification once again while it was Yorke who stole the show with seven goals in his last seven games.

"I only had him for 11 league games at the end of the 97/98 season," Gregory said. "He played a huge part. He was my big star and I had Sir Alex pestering me not long after I had taken the job. I was set on what I was going to do; there was no way I was going to sell him. No way. United weren't having him. We were building an exciting side.

"We just kept rejecting bids throughout the summer. United kept upping them but they were nowhere near what we wanted which was £16 million. Kevin Davies went from Southampton to Blackburn for £7.8 million and United wanted Yorke for £10 million. Yorkie's on another level.

"The start of the 98/99 season soon came around anyway and I played Yorkie upfront with JJ (Julian Joachim) and we drew 0-0 up at Everton. Honestly, he didn't try a leg. Dwight didn't move a muscle and was really playing up. He was just a shadow of himself and it was clear from that moment on that he didn't want to play for us again.

"It was the following morning when he came into my office and told me exactly that. It was an insult; the way he turned around and just said, 'I don't want to play for Aston Villa anymore'. I was hurt and I ushered him away.

"He was miserable around the place in the weeks leading up to that and I knew something was up because Yorkie's always smiling and was the life and soul of the dressing room. I'd lost him way back. Maybe Bozzy had something to do with it because Yorke and Bozzy were big mates. He was probably chewing in his ear.

"After our chat I just thought I can't have a s*** Dwight Yorke for 37 more matches, a player who doesn't want to be a part of what we're trying to achieve. He'd have made the dressing room rotten. After our chat he really got to me as well. I just had to get him away."

Gregory still has United's £10 million faxed offer for Yorke at his home today. "I had gone on record as saying that Dwight would not be available unless £16 million were offered," Gregory penned in his autobiography, The Boss.

"I meant it. That's what Newcastle had paid for Alan Shearer and Dwight was younger and in the same class. But the resistance was weakening around me."

Gregory, meanwhile, rubber-stamped Villa's deal to sell star asset Yorke during a bite to eat and a chance meeting at TGI Friday's in Sutton Coldfield on August 19, 1998 - the day before Yorke sealed his transfer to Old Trafford. Gregory - who had asked about the availability of both Andy Cole and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in part-exchange - was at TGIs with long-time friend Gordon Smith when the penny finally dropped.

Reminiscing, Gregory detailed: "Two guys were in the booth next to us and one of them leaned over and said, 'It's not bad news is it?'

"'And what would you consider to be bad news?' I asked tentatively, still unsure about the feedback that would come from supporters. 'Well, Yorke staying of course,' he said.

"That was it. I took that little exchange as a highly symbolic moment. It was like this guy, picked at random, was telling me what the Villa fans wanted. I don't know his name and I doubt he ever realised the role he played in that night's events. But sod it, I thought; let's stop messing about and let the bugger go. Who are you trying to kid? He's finished with us anyway. Let's do the deal."

The deal was done. Villa agreed their club-record £12.6 million fee and Yorke was a United player. "We had a supporters AGM that night Yorke was sold," Gregory laughed.

"It was in the Holte Suite which only holds 800. I think 1400 were packed in there and Doug was getting pelters left, right and centre about selling Yorke. I stood up and defended Doug because, credit to him, he left the final decision down to me and I wanted to get Yorkie out."

It was quite ironic then that after 18 games of the new season it was Villa who were top of the Premier League table at Christmas and five points ahead of third-placed United.

"I remember playing Riccy Scimeca up front in the game after Yorke left," Gregory said. "We beat Boro 3-1. We won eight and drew four games and I remember grabbing a photographer after we beat Southampton 4-1 away telling him to take a photo of us all. I wanted it as a keep-sake because we'd just broken a club record for being 12 unbeaten.

"I think that record still stands. The bloody snapper sold the photo to the newspapers and I came in for a bit of stick. But, with Yorke, we had all moved on. I signed Dion Dublin, Paul Merson and built a really strong team."

As for Yorke, he'd win the treble in his first season at United and scored an incredible 29 goals from 51 games. Yorke, who turns 50 this year, recently spoke about how his move to United came about during an hour-long discussion with The Villa Talks Podcast.

"It was just prompted from my performances, really," he said, knowing he had scored 61 goals in 131 appearances in the run-up to his move to United. "I was performing for Villa on a consistent basis. I was their top man, the top scorer, scoring frequently and creating goals and, when you do that, you draw interest from the so-called bigger clubs. What I've done is prompt the likes of Manchester United and others to say, 'Oh, there might be a possibility of this guy joining'.

"Once the rumours started and, as a player, you've got agents. People are starting to ask the questions, the rumours are starting to fly around. My time at Aston Villa, nobody could take away. I gave nearly 10 years to that football club and every moment I loved. I loved the fans, my connection with the fans. I loved playing for the football club and enjoyed that.

"But it came to a point in my time where I could have stayed at Villa and be the main man and win a competition occasionally and be treated like royalty like I had been; or, realise as a player at 26 years of age you've only got a certain amount of time to cash in if you're going to be remembered as a top striker.

"The Villa fans out there who said I left the football club (in a bad place). I didn't leave the football club in any bad feeling. I just wanted to extend myself as a player to play against the best in Europe. Although, the late chairman Doug Ellis offered me far more money than what Manchester United offered me to stay at the club. It wasn't about the club, the players; it was just that I needed to challenge myself in an individual point of view.

"When United came in and Sir Alex says, 'Come and play for us'... They are the best club in the country; they're winning Premier Leagues; competing in the Champions League. As a player that's the level you want to get at. Unfortunately, in my 10 years at Villa that never really happened. I had a very difficult decision to either stay at Villa and get a bigger pay packet or...

"But it wasn't about the money. It was about the challenge of testing yourself against the best across Europe. When Man United came in it was kind of a no-brainer in many respects and, obviously, everyone seen what happened when I joined the club."

On his relationship with Gregory, claims of him not trying at Everton before his move and Gregory's infamous 'if I had a gun I'd have shot him' comments, Yorke added: "Listen, I was in a good place. I was very comfortable because football and Villa was all I knew coming into England. Villa's always been there; I've never abandoned Villa or refused or been in trouble with Aston Villa. I just wanted to play football.

"For 10 years, the rapport I had with the fans and what was expected of me as a player... I think every time I put on the shirt I gave it everything for the Villa fans. To be signalled out after the Everton game, I mean, OK things were on my mind but it doesn't mean I didn't try. We just didn't play well on the day and, because I was at the centre of attention, it seems like it was pointed towards me.

"I mean, John Gregory and I had a very good relationship. Before John Gregory became the manager after Brian Little left, I had an unbelievable relationship with John Gregory. He was the one I used to take with a bag of balls and say, 'Come, let's go' and do these extras. He'd fizz balls into me to test my touch. We had a good rapport. We were close. Gregors and I were close. Leaving I can understand him being upset because he was losing arguably his best player at the time. I get that.

"The gun thing was just a no-nonsense kind of thing. I don't think he ever meant that. The media played that up and it span out of proportion. I never took offence to that and I understood his disappointment in me. But, from my point of view, I felt that I was making the right move at the right time. It just felt right.

"It was a big decision because, for 10 years, Villa were by my side and gave me the platform. I knew nothing outside of Aston Villa. When people say I turned my back on Aston Villa I never did. I gave 10 years of my playing career for a club that gave me the platform to play. I had a good rapport with the fans, I was idolised by them and I hope I gave them something back and, even to this day, I still speak to them and they praise me for my time at Aston Villa and what I did.

"I hope that's the case. You just look at the amount of players that come and go at that football club now but, certainly, when I was playing I was an entertainer. I see myself as an entertainer and, hopefully, I did that for the Villa fans."

Gregory, meanwhile, says there's no hard feelings more than two decades on and bumped into his former striker out in India.

"I actually met Dwight when I was managing at Chennai a couple of years ago," he said.

"He was with Wes Brown. The pair of them were Manchester United ambassadors and it was really good to see him again. A lot of water's passed under the bridge. I loved him when I had him but it was Brian (Little) who should get all of the praise. Yorke blossomed under Brian. He took him under his wing. I just wanted to build my team around him which, unfortunately, I wasn't able to do."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 26, 2021, 04:12:36 PM »
Dwight Yorke’s greatest ever moment wasn’t ‘historic’ Manchester United treble or ‘cheeky’ goal against Arsenal – but going to the World Cup with Trinidad and Tobago
By Sean O'Brien (talkSPORT)

Ask any of the Manchester United treble heroes from 1999 to select a career highlight and you would expect the obvious answer – but not Dwight Yorke.

Forming a legendary partnership with Andy Cole, Yorke’s first season at Old Trafford ended in Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup glory.

The Red Devils remain the only team ever to do that, something Yorke speaks about with immense pride during his appearance on talkSPORT’s latest episode of Up Front With.

But leading Trinidad and Tobago out at their first-ever World Cup in 2006 means more to the United icon.

“That was the pinnacle of my career,” Yorke told talkSPORT. “We came close back in 1990 when we should’ve qualified for the World Cup in Italy.

“We needed one point against America and we were playing at home, we lost 1-0.

“I would’ve been the youngest player ever to play in the World Cup. There was history to be made, but unfortunately that didn’t happen.

“Winning the treble, winning the Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup and all of the above – taking my country to the World Cup has to be the greatest achievement simply because we are probably the smallest nation ever to play in the World Cup.

“What it means to our people, what it represents for the whole of the Caribbean – having done that, for me it has to be the greatest achievement of them all.”

Nevertheless, Yorke insists the unprecedented treble will live forever in history, no matter what people say.

That famous United side always feature in debates about the greatest Premier League team of all time, but some question whether they were as good as other iconic outfits like Arsenal’s ‘Invincibles’ or Manchester City’s ‘Centurions’.

“That’s historical. It’s never been achieved before,” Yorke said when asked about the treble. “What are you expected to do in your first year?

“Those moments in football that we experienced, particularly in the last ten days of that season, what we enjoyed, winning my first Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League.

“This was a huge thing and I’m probably one of the luckiest guys to be part of that team. But it was a hell of a team, a hell of an achievement, and to be in the history books – nobody can take that away from me, no matter what people say.

“That will always be in the history books and you will always be part of history.”

Despite all the success at United, it was a goal for Aston Villa which Yorke remembers most fondly.

The 49-year-old famously sat Arsenal icon David Seaman down and had him sprawling back across the goalline to no avail with the cheekiest of Panenka penalties in 1998.

With qualification for European football on the line in front of a packed out Villa Park, it summed up everything Yorke stood for as a player.

“We played Arsenal on the last day of the season and needed to qualify for Europe,” he said. “They had an unbelievable back four with Tony Adams, Martin Keown and Steve Bould.

“My goal against David Seaman, we won 1-0, I did the Panenka against him. He looked huge in the goal and I thought he would save it if I went either side. So i thought I’d be cheeky with it.

“It’s something I practised after watching him and studying him. Doing it in front of 45,000 fans, what it meant and to do it against England No. 1 – it had a bit of everything.

“The personality I was on the football pitch, and to do it at that time, makes it the greatest moment.”

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 06, 2021, 06:53:56 AM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 06, 2021, 06:49:56 PM »
RESPECT TO DWIGHT YORKE!

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrinbago/photos/a.110018710344314/516720293007485/

National hero  :beermug:

People actually bothered to answer that Q?  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: We must be in 2121.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 08, 2021, 01:30:56 PM »
How Dwight Yorke tarnished Aston Villa legacy with Manchester United move
By Ashley Preece (Birmingham Mail)

It hurt me. This was our club, my club. I felt insulted. It really got to me and he wanted to make it hurt. I just had to get him away.

The pain can still be heard in John Gregory's voice on the other end of the phone more than two decades on from THAT historic and heartbreaking transfer saga involving Dwight Yorke's £12.6 million move from Aston Villa to Manchester United.

"Doug's eyes lit up at £8 million," Gregory said, detailing chairman Doug Ellis' keenness to cash-in. "Villa got him for 20 grand don't forget and Doug would have sold him there and then for United's first offer of eight bloody million."

Gregory, of course, only had 11 Premier League games managing Yorke - plus two Uefa Cup quarter-final legs against Atletico Madrid - after he arrived to replace his former mentor Brian Little in February 1998. Villa were 15th and just six points above the drop-zone when Little resigned after a 2-1 defeat at Wimbledon.

Gregory was soon appointed and beat Liverpool in his first game in charge at Villa Park thanks to a vintage Stan Collymore double. Gregory would win nine of the remaining 11 matches to catapult Villa to a seventh-placed finish and European qualification once again while it was Yorke who stole the show with seven goals in his last seven games.

"I only had him for 11 league games at the end of the 97/98 season," Gregory said. "He played a huge part. He was my big star and I had Sir Alex pestering me not long after I had taken the job. I was set on what I was going to do; there was no way I was going to sell him. No way. United weren't having him. We were building an exciting side.

"We just kept rejecting bids throughout the summer. United kept upping them but they were nowhere near what we wanted which was £16 million. Kevin Davies went from Southampton to Blackburn for £7.8 million and United wanted Yorke for £10 million. Yorkie's on another level.

"The start of the 98/99 season soon came around anyway and I played Yorkie upfront with JJ (Julian Joachim) and we drew 0-0 up at Everton. Honestly, he didn't try a leg. Dwight didn't move a muscle and was really playing up. He was just a shadow of himself and it was clear from that moment on that he didn't want to play for us again.

"It was the following morning when he came into my office and told me exactly that. It was an insult; the way he turned around and just said, 'I don't want to play for Aston Villa anymore'. I was hurt and I ushered him away.

"He was miserable around the place in the weeks leading up to that and I knew something was up because Yorkie's always smiling and was the life and soul of the dressing room. I'd lost him way back. Maybe Bozzy had something to do with it because Yorke and Bozzy were big mates. He was probably chewing in his ear.

"After our chat I just thought I can't have a s*** Dwight Yorke for 37 more matches, a player who doesn't want to be a part of what we're trying to achieve. He'd have made the dressing room rotten. After our chat he really got to me as well. I just had to get him away."

Gregory still has United's £10 million faxed offer for Yorke at his home. "I had gone on record as saying that Dwight would not be available unless £16 million were offered," Gregory penned in his autobiography, The Boss.

"I meant it. That's what Newcastle had paid for Alan Shearer and Dwight was younger and in the same class. But the resistance was weakening around me."

Gregory, meanwhile, rubber-stamped Villa's deal to sell star asset Yorke during a bite to eat and a chance meeting at TGI Friday's in Sutton Coldfield on August 19, 1998 - the day before Yorke sealed his transfer to Old Trafford. Gregory - who had asked about the availability of both Andy Cole and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in part-exchange - was at TGIs with long-time friend Gordon Smith when the penny finally dropped.

Reminiscing, Gregory detailed: "Two guys were in the booth next to us and one of them leaned over and said, 'It's not bad news is it?'

"'And what would you consider to be bad news?' I asked tentatively, still unsure about the feedback that would come from supporters. 'Well, Yorke staying of course,' he said.

"That was it. I took that little exchange as a highly symbolic moment. It was like this guy, picked at random, was telling me what the Villa fans wanted. I don't know his name and I doubt he ever realised the role he played in that night's events. But sod it, I thought; let's stop messing about and let the bugger go. Who are you trying to kid? He's finished with us anyway. Let's do the deal."

The deal was done. Villa agreed their club-record £12.6 million fee and Yorke was a United player. "We had a supporters AGM that night Yorke was sold," Gregory laughed.

"It was in the Holte Suite which only holds 800. I think 1400 were packed in there and Doug was getting pelters left, right and centre about selling Yorke. I stood up and defended Doug because, credit to him, he left the final decision down to me and I wanted to get Yorkie out."

It was quite ironic then that after 18 games of the new season it was Villa who were top of the Premier League table at Christmas and five points ahead of third-placed United.

"I remember playing Riccy Scimeca up front in the game after Yorke left," Gregory said. "We beat Boro 3-1. We won eight and drew four games and I remember grabbing a photographer after we beat Southampton 4-1 away telling him to take a photo of us all. I wanted it as a keep-sake because we'd just broken a club record for being 12 unbeaten.

"I think that record still stands. The bloody snapper sold the photo to the newspapers and I came in for a bit of stick. But, with Yorke, we had all moved on. I signed Dion Dublin, Paul Merson and built a really strong team."

As for Yorke, he'd win the treble in his first season at United and scored an incredible 29 goals from 51 games. Yorke, who turns 50 this year, recently spoke about how his move to United came about during an hour-long discussion with The Villa Talks Podcast.

"It was just prompted from my performances, really," he said, knowing he had scored 61 goals in 131 appearances in the run-up to his move to United. "I was performing for Villa on a consistent basis. I was their top man, the top scorer, scoring frequently and creating goals and, when you do that, you draw interest from the so-called bigger clubs. What I've done is prompt the likes of Manchester United and others to say, 'Oh, there might be a possibility of this guy joining'.

"Once the rumours started and, as a player, you've got agents. People are starting to ask the questions, the rumours are starting to fly around. My time at Aston Villa, nobody could take away. I gave nearly 10 years to that football club and every moment I loved. I loved the fans, my connection with the fans. I loved playing for the football club and enjoyed that.

"But it came to a point in my time where I could have stayed at Villa and be the main man and win a competition occasionally and be treated like royalty like I had been; or, realise as a player at 26 years of age you've only got a certain amount of time to cash in if you're going to be remembered as a top striker.

"The Villa fans out there who said I left the football club (in a bad place). I didn't leave the football club in any bad feeling. I just wanted to extend myself as a player to play against the best in Europe. Although, the late chairman Doug Ellis offered me far more money than what Manchester United offered me to stay at the club. It wasn't about the club, the players; it was just that I needed to challenge myself in an individual point of view.

"When United came in and Sir Alex says, 'Come and play for us'... They are the best club in the country; they're winning Premier Leagues; competing in the Champions League. As a player that's the level you want to get at. Unfortunately, in my 10 years at Villa that never really happened. I had a very difficult decision to either stay at Villa and get a bigger pay packet or...

"But it wasn't about the money. It was about the challenge of testing yourself against the best across Europe. When Man United came in it was kind of a no-brainer in many respects and, obviously, everyone seen what happened when I joined the club."

On his relationship with Gregory, claims of him not trying at Everton before his move and Gregory's infamous 'if I had a gun I'd have shot him' comments, Yorke added: "Listen, I was in a good place. I was very comfortable because football and Villa was all I knew coming into England. Villa's always been there; I've never abandoned Villa or refused or been in trouble with Aston Villa. I just wanted to play football.

"For 10 years, the rapport I had with the fans and what was expected of me as a player... I think every time I put on the shirt I gave it everything for the Villa fans. To be signalled out after the Everton game, I mean, OK things were on my mind but it doesn't mean I didn't try. We just didn't play well on the day and, because I was at the centre of attention, it seems like it was pointed towards me.

"I mean, John Gregory and I had a very good relationship. Before John Gregory became the manager after Brian Little left, I had an unbelievable relationship with John Gregory. He was the one I used to take with a bag of balls and say, 'Come, let's go' and do these extras. He'd fizz balls into me to test my touch. We had a good rapport. We were close. Gregors and I were close. Leaving I can understand him being upset because he was losing arguably his best player at the time. I get that.

"The gun thing was just a no-nonsense kind of thing. I don't think he ever meant that. The media played that up and it spun out of proportion. I never took offence to that and I understood his disappointment in me. But, from my point of view, I felt that I was making the right move at the right time. It just felt right.

"It was a big decision because, for 10 years, Villa were by my side and gave me the platform. I knew nothing outside of Aston Villa. When people say I turned my back on Aston Villa I never did. I gave 10 years of my playing career for a club that gave me the platform to play. I had a good rapport with the fans, I was idolised by them and I hope I gave them something back and, even to this day, I still speak to them and they praise me for my time at Aston Villa and what I did.

"I hope that's the case. You just look at the amount of players that come and go at that football club now but, certainly, when I was playing I was an entertainer. I see myself as an entertainer and, hopefully, I did that for the Villa fans."

Gregory, meanwhile, says there's no hard feelings more than two decades on and bumped into his former striker out in India.

"I actually met Dwight when I was managing at Chennai a couple of years ago," he said.

"He was with Wes Brown. The pair of them were Manchester United ambassadors and it was really good to see him again. A lot of water's passed under the bridge. I loved him when I had him but it was Brian (Little) who should get all of the praise. Yorke blossomed under Brian. He took him under his wing. I just wanted to build my team around him which, unfortunately, I wasn't able to do."

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 09, 2021, 04:46:12 AM »
I can't see how Dwight tarnished his legacy with Villa. You got called to play for ManU and you decline. You must be mad.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 09, 2021, 12:11:32 PM »
Well said Deeks. Seems to have made the right and proper decision to me.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 09, 2021, 05:31:36 PM »
Built into the transfer equation is also an undervaluation of a non-English player.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorke opens up on fight against racism, Man. United’s hopes of silverware
« Reply #417 on: September 30, 2021, 07:36:16 PM »
Yorke opens up on fight against racism, Man. United’s hopes of silverware
By Valhmor Camilleri (Times of Malta)

Dwight Yorke said that there is still a lot of work to be done to eradicate racism from society after the former Manchester United striker was named as an ambassador for the national strategy against racism that was launched by the Maltese government on Thursday.

The former Trinidad and Tobago international was the special guest during the event launching held at the National Stadium and said that he is fully behind the authorities drive to fight racism but warned that there is still a lot of steps to be taken if we are to educate society and wipe away this kind of discrimination.

“This is a fantastic initiative and I am so proud to be part of it,” Yorke, a key member in the 1999 treble-winning Manchester United side, told the Times of Malta.

“As global ambassador of Manchester United, I am really happy to be visiting a country like Malta that is stepping up its fight against racism. My message is quite clear that nobody should ever judge someone by the colour of their skin and Manchester United have always been against any form of discrimination.

“I am glad that the Maltese government is really taking it head on and we are here to not just embrace it and but also to make sure that we play our part from the sporting aspect and look forward to educating people about it as education is a key part to going forward.”

Yorke is coming from a long career in English football where he reached his star status with Manchester United but also had a very fruitful spell with Aston Villa.

In recent months, there has been a strong campaign against racism with Premier League players taking a knee before match kick-offs as well staging a social media boycott to increase awareness.

Still, Yorke said that although these are all positive initiatives, more steps need to be taken.

“There is never enough initiatives to fight racism,” Yorke said.

“The Black Live Matters movement gave a positive momentum and was followed by the Take a Knee which was nice to see players supporting it. But while these are positives steps more has to be done.

“If you look at the racial discrimination that goes on in social media more drastic measures need to be taken. In my opinion, not enough has been done yet.

“There have been steps in the right direction but we need to do more.”

Yorke was in Malta on Wednesday where he visited the English side’s Maltese supporters club in Ħamrun to watch Manchester United’s dramatic win against Villarreal that was decided by an injury-time winner from Cristiano Ronaldo.

“The most important thing was that we got the result we wanted,” Yorke said.

“We were coming from a couple of not-so-good results in previous games and it was a game that we needed to win to get the momentum back after starting the season so well. Added to that, playing at Old Trafford it was a game that we needed to win.

“Scoring in the last minute of the game defines what United is all about and the goal was scored by somebody who has been the fabric of club for so long and he gives us that winning mentality.

“I’m sure that Manchester United fans would have liked to see the team win easier but it’s a big result and will help us to move forward in the Champions League and for the rest of the season.”

Yorke said that Manchester United have improved a lot since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took over the role of manager but warned his former team-mate that with the arrival of players such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Raphael Varane and Jadon Sancho he needs to start to deliver trophies.

“Ole is the club manager and unfortunately there are a lot of people who are a bit envious of his position as manager when saying that he should not be in that position for whatever reason,” the former Trinidad and Tobago forward said.

“I think we need to get away from that and give the guy the respect he deserves. He is the current manager of the club and we should judge him once his reign at the club is over.

“It’s too early to discuss if he is good enough. Manchester United have assembled a very strong squad and I feel that at some point he needs to win something.

“This season he needs to win something as at the end of the day for what he has done and his identity at the club he will still be judged based on his success.

“Ole knows all about where he stands and he is aware that he needs to deliver at some point in time. I believe that we have a squad to win the Premier League and it’s up to Ole to make it happen.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorke: Why Black History month is so important
« Reply #418 on: October 23, 2021, 03:45:55 PM »
Yorke: Why Black History month is so important
by Mark Froggatt (manutd.com)

Manchester United legend Dwight Yorke has spoken passionately about Black History Month and the need for all football fans to celebrate those who are helping to create a better future.

The Trinidad & Tobago icon has a unique story to tell, after moving to England in 1989 and becoming a Premier League star with Aston Villa before making history as a Treble winner at Old Trafford. That journey was not without its challenges, however, as Yorke explains in our hard-hitting Q&A.

Dwight also discusses the scourge of racism on social media in the modern game, how players like Marcus Rashford are paving the way for generations to come, and the importance of our All Red All Equal campaign.

We hope you enjoy the interview, on a weekend when United and the Premier League will be working together to promote the national ‘No Room for Racism’ campaign.

In your eyes, Dwight, how important is Black History Month in both society and football?
“Well, it is very important. I think what you have got to conclude is there's a reason why it is called Black History Month, because of what happened in the past. You can’t turn your nose up at what black history represents and, often enough, you listen to the young players and they understand a little bit more about what the previous ancestors had to go through, for us to get to the level we are to this day. It has not been easy and, for me, that is very important, not just for me but also the other black players that are involved in the game. Where the game is today, we should be very grateful for the generation before us and the generation before that, so the players today could get a much easier path to achieving their goals in a more equal and just respect.”

Role models are so important for inspiring the next generation, so can you tell us who yours were when growing up in Trinidad and Tobago?
“I looked at John Barnes because of the Caribbean heritage that he has, and he was somebody that I looked up to when I came into the country at first. And I think that is important when you can identify somebody who has your background and representation. You can relate to that person and that is why we continue to fight for equality. I think that is important, when you see somebody in those positions, it does inspire you to achieve that and that's exactly what happened for me with John Barnes.”

How would you describe the impact that you and your friend Brian Lara had on both sport and society throughout your legendary careers?
“I think it is great. We are two young men from a very small country of Trinidad and Tobago, trying to live the dream and being not quite sure how we were going to get there. I know West Indies cricket has certainly been in a more advanced stage in terms of what the West Indies did over the years, in the 1970s and 1980s, being the no.1 team in the world, travelling to England and Australia, and dominating those eras. So cricket had a part but it was still very difficult, so Brian Lara coming through from our country and doing what he did over the years really installed the future of the West Indies cricket, and gave the younger players the hope to follow in his footsteps. Where I am concerned, it is pretty much the same but slightly different, because nobody from the Caribbean has gone out to England or Europe and made it to a level that I managed to achieve over the years, so that in itself is a story. We know how football is the most global sport in the world and kids coming from lesser backgrounds, including myself, have an opportunity to open the gates. It is much more transparent to get to this level now.”

You moved to England in 1989 after Aston Villa manager Graham Taylor discovered you in the West Indies: how challenging was that move for a young Caribbean athlete?
“Well it was huge. Just think for a moment, a young boy leaves the Caribbean shores for somebody 5,000 miles away, on his own, with no members of his family, living here in England, having to adjust to the weather, the food, the culture, the people, pretty much turning up with no clothes, [because] we didn't have winter clothes at home. So it was very challenging and I was very isolated, but self-motivated at the same time, knowing it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me to make a difference, not just for myself and my family, but for the younger generation ahead. I was prepared to go all-out and move all mountains to get there. The challenge was very, very difficult but I was determined to do that and the rest is pretty much history.”

What was it like for a black player during the 1990s when you became a Premier League star?
“Challenging. I have been around a long time in many respects and having people like Cyrille Regis, Tony Daley, John Fashanu, some of the legendary names in the game and having played under these guys, and seeing the challenges they spoke about, and what they had to go through, I was still very much on a learning curve. They had experienced it before and I hadn't seen it. When you speak to these guys, you can tell why black history is very important, so you can learn about the challenges previous players went through. So I was around very experienced people who had witnessed racism and the challenges of being a black player, and having to make it at the top, having what it takes and how to stay motivated. So for me I was very lucky at that time. I had people ahead of me who were very instrumental and made sure I walked the right path.”

Racism is still a problem in certain stadiums and we also see it on social media. How would you have reacted to some of the disgraceful abuse that some of our young stars get?
“First, it is unacceptable but unfortunately we are in the 21st century where social media plays a huge part in bringing out these people who hide behind a platform to have a go at the black players. I want to say football has made a great deal of progress over the years, compared to the last decade or two, but unfortunately we have still got racism on social media and it is very challenging. I can see that, but nevertheless there should be stiffer sanctions on these individuals to make sure we eradicate them from our sport and society.”

What can you say about somebody like Marcus Rashford, who is setting an incredible example as a young black athlete both on and off the pitch?
“I think that is important. It is no good that we are talking about it and not setting an example. What Rashford has done is to set an example on and off the pitch. He is a shining example for everyone and he is what we call the future of the black society, in terms of representation. He has got the platform, playing for the biggest football club and representing England, doing his charity work at the same time. It is incredible work and he should be acknowledged for what he has done. And I hope he continues in the same vein and performing at such a high, consistent level. My hat is off to him and hopefully he continues the good work.”

You have spoken out in recent years about the lack of black coaches and managers within English football, which appears to be a problem. How does football tackle that issue?
“Again, we talk about the divide in football, the inequality and injustice, I don't think anyone could argue the point why black players and black managers have not been given the chance. The evidence is there for everyone to see. We have spoken about it in great depth but we still haven't seen the transparency that we would like to see, in terms of the black managers getting an opportunity to manage at a very high level. The Premier League is an example, although we have just seen Patrick Vieira being given that role at Crystal Palace. But you look throughout the rest of the world in football, there aren't any black managers at any high level and that has to be addressed. That is a problem. We talked about people being in these positions, I talked about John Barnes and how I was able to identify with him, it is the same when it comes to football management. Managers should be given an equal opportunity, provided you have got your communications and you can do the job at such a level. That is something that needs to be seriously addressed.”

Finally, the club’s All Red All Equal campaign encourages supporters to report all racist abuse that they see on social media, which is an important message to spread, right?
“Well, All Red All Equal is a very powerful statement because that is telling every individual out there that we are all equal. It doesn't matter what colour you are and United has always been the benchmark of setting an example. It is a powerful statement and one that everyone should represent. You should not be judged by the colour of your skin, that is the message of All Red All Equal, and I am glad to be a part of it as well.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 01, 2022, 02:46:26 PM »
Dwight Yorke "would love" to manage an Australian A-League club
By Alex Zaia (sen.com.au)

Manchester United legend and former Sydney FC star Dwight Yorke says he “would love” to manage an A-League club.

Yorke was asked on 1170 SEN Drive whether he would be interested in managing the Western Sydney Wanderers, who could be on the market for a new coach for next season.

The Wanderers sacked Carl Robinson and replaced him with Mark Rudan for the rest of the 2021/2022 season.

“I have to say I’m obviously flattered that the fact I’ve been asked about taking a high-profile job in Australia,” Yorke said.

“Everyone knows that I’m trying to get into management, I’ve completed my coaching badges, I’ve got all the qualifications.

“There’s a reason why I’ve done that, I’ve studied the art of management, I’ve spoken to various managers, been to a lot of seminars.

“The answer to your question is yes. I’m looking to try and get into management and Australia is a place I know extremely well.

“I have good fond memories of the place and I would love to have an opportunity to manage in the A-League, without a doubt.”

Yorke, who currently resides in Dubai, is willing to make sacrifices to get his start in management.

“Football is really where I want to be, I think I’ve made that very clear now,” the former Aston Villa striker and Trinidad and Tobago captain said.

“There are sacrifices that you have to make and if you want to be a coach you have to sacrifice these other jobs that I’ve got.

“I’ve got to go to my bosses to get permission of course, I’m sure they won’t disapprove of what I’m trying to do, but football is in my blood, it’s what I know, and I feel management is even more so now.

“I feel like I’m more prepared.”

Yorke spent one season at Sydney FC, captaining the club to a maiden A-League title in the competition’s inaugural season in 2005/2006.

The 50-year-old also won three Premier League titles, an FA Cup and a Champions League with Manchester United plus a League Cup with Villa.

1]; } ?>