March 28, 2024, 05:02:05 AM

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke Official Thread  (Read 94889 times)

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight Yorke Official Thread
« Reply #450 on: January 24, 2023, 10:19:11 AM »
Leave on good terms and don't burn ur bridges. Don't set a precedent for black managers to be seen as opportunists.
The standard is not d same as in England. Apple and oranges  really.
Jah bless rastafari

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 24, 2023, 12:58:36 PM »
Leave on good terms and don't burn ur bridges. Don't set a precedent for black managers to be seen as opportunists.
Jah bless rastafari

What precedent? Black managers will always be far and few in between. When it comes to picking manager/coach, it is most of the time the owners prerogative. We may disagree with his tone. But he spoke his mind. But it has to be something that triggered him off. Maybe he was demanding effort by the players, which they were not able respond too. The only thing I see in this case, is that the shoe is on the other foot. Let's see if he can adjust to that.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 25, 2023, 04:49:47 PM »
Jah bless rastafari

What precedent? Black managers will always be far and few in between. When it comes to picking manager/coach, it is most of the time the owners prerogative. We may disagree with his tone. But he spoke his mind. But it has to be something that triggered him off. Maybe he was demanding effort by the players, which they were not able respond too. The only thing I see in this case, is that the shoe is on the other foot. Let's see if he can adjust to that.
[/b]

Well said Deeks. When I read this account, I thought: Yorke saw his White managers take that strong stance for excellence and spoke to the group in a way that they accepted. He may have thought that he could do the same and expect his white employers to accept a black man talking to all his players "Black and white" the same. Not so the higher you go up in the corporate world.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 26, 2023, 12:36:35 AM »
More decisive was likely the conversation that took place behind closed doors, rather than the actual dressing room expressions.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 26, 2023, 03:53:00 PM »
More decisive was likely the conversation that took place behind closed doors, rather than the actual dressing room expressions.

Could be !!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 31, 2023, 10:26:49 PM »
Dwight Yorke in next Aberdeen manager bid as Man Utd legend hangs on Sir Alex Ferguson’s blessing
By Keith Jackson (Scottish Daily Record)

Dwight Yorke has emerged a surprise runner in the race for the Aberdeen job.

And the Manchester United legend is hoping a managerial mentorship from Sir Alex Ferguson might fast-track him into serious contention for the Pittodrie hotseat. Record Sport can reveal Yorke’s representatives have been in contact with Dons chairman Dave Cormack in the last 48 hours, following the decision to sack Jim Goodwin immediately after Saturday’s 6-0 thrashing at Hibs.

Yorke and assistant boss Russell Latapy are looking to engineer a quick return to European football after a shock exit from Australian A League outfit Macarthur FC just last week - despite leading the minnows to the Aussie FA Cup and qualifying for the Asian Champions League in their first seven months in the job. Yorke’s impressive achievements were recognised by Sir Alex who even travelled to Sydney to congratulate the 51-year-old in person after seeing his apprentice lift a first trophy in management.

And the former Old Trafford striker is now hoping that Ferguson’s huge influence in the North East - and close personal relationship with Cormack - can help open the door to a first crack at a role in the UK.

Cormack has placed Barry Robson in interim charge of the first team as the club reels from the embarrassment of that Easter Road routing, which came hot on the heels of a historic Scottish Cup humiliation in Darvel. And the US based businessman is determined not to be rushed into making a snap appointment as he ploughs through a huge list of potential candidates.

Yorke’s CV landed on Cormack’s desk on Monday and it’s understood the man in charge will take time to weigh up all available options before compiling a final shortlist of contenders. But, although the Trinidad and Tobago international would have to be considered as a long shot compared to the likes of early front runners like Chris Wilder, Neil Lennon, Jack Ross and Paul Lambert - a personal endorsement from Ferguson could catapult him into Cormack’s consideration.

Yorke also has a Scottish link in his backroom team having appointed former Rangers and Hibs maverick Latapy as his right hand man in Australia. It’s understood Yorke would bring his long term pal and compatriot with him to Aberdeen were he to be the successful applicant.

Macarthur currently sit in sixth position in Australia’s top flight, ten points behind runaway leaders Melbourne City but only five points off second placed Central Coast Mariners. Yorke is believed to have left the club under a cloud after a fall-out with the club’s owners and now harbours ambitions to return to the British game, where he became a household name as a prolific goalscorer at Aston Villa and United.

Yorke spent four trophy-laden years working under Ferguson between 1998 and 2002, winning three Premier League titles, the Champions League and an FA Cup. And the pair have remained close friends ever since. Ferguson was visiting Melbourne in October last year when Yorke led Macarthur to the club’s first ever silverware.

The man who led Aberdeen to Cup Winners’ Cup glory in Gothenburg, sent a message to congratulate Yorke before travelling more than 400 miles across the country to meet with him in person at the club’s training ground in New South Wales. Yorke said at the time: “I learned from the master in Sir Alex Ferguson. Funnily enough, he’s here in Australia at the moment, which is great. I saw him yesterday and after he congratulated me on the trophy, straight away he told me to focus on getting the next one!

“Winning is in my DNA and I’m lucky to have been managed by the greatest of all time, and it’s also nice to have him challenging me to become the best manager that I can be. After winning the Australian Cup, the expectation level around the club has definitely risen - which is exactly the reaction that I wanted from everyone associated with the club.

“Now is the time to work even harder. It’s a pleasant surprise that he’s here in the country. I treasure the relationship that I have with Sir Alex. But, he has been great to me. I can’t talk for others, but he has always been there for me. Yeah. To have that seal of approval from him encourages me to keep driving forward as a manager.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 02, 2023, 10:15:57 AM »
Yorke lifts lid on explosive A-League exit
By Dave Lewis (ftbl.com.au)

Premier League legend Dwight Yorke has lifted the veil on his acrimonious exit from Macarthur Bulls, revealing the bizarre chain of events behind the dressing room tirade which prompted his departure.

Depicted by Bulls officials as the villain after describing the club as “Mickey Mouse” and a “pub team” during an epic spray following January’s 1-0 loss to Adelaide United, Yorke countered by accusing the Bulls of “cowboy behaviour” and “unprofessional conduct”.

The Manchester United icon, who is seeking compensation over his contract termination after only seven months and 13 games, provided context to his change-room outburst by disclosing a pre-match pretext for what ultimately unfolded.

Preparing to board the team bus for Hindmarsh Stadium three hours out from kick off, Yorke was stunned to be told by tearful striker Anthony Carter that his contract had been summarily cancelled by Bulls bosses.

Carter’s predicament came as news to Yorke, who had the 28-year-old in his match day plans.

Players promptly trooped off the bus to hug their distraught teammate, whilst an aghast Yorke took in a scene he’d never witnessed before during his decorated  19-year playing career.

Bulls officials hastily arranged a flight back to Sydney and an Uber to the airport for Carter, who was literally left by the curbside at the team hotel.

“It was the most ridiculous thing and I knew nothing about it,” Yorke told FTBL.

“It showed a total lack of empathy to the player, was disrespectful to me and unprofessional by the club,

“Anthony travelled with us, did the team talk, trained well, looked good - and suddenly he’s on a plane back to Sydney. And nobody has the decency to call and explain what’s behind it all.”

That incident set the tone for a tumultuous 24 hours in which a flurry of text messages, whilst Yorke and his assistant Russell Latapy were on a plane back to Sydney, told them they were both out the door.

Yorke claims to have heard nothing from either Marra or CEO Sam Krslovic since, and says he hasn’t been permitted back at the club’s Campbelltown base to clear his desk and retrieve belongings.

“None of what went on at the hotel helped us that day, and I let my feelings be known after the match,” added Yorke.

“The chairman came in and spoke first, telling me I should have acknowledged our fans at the end which I agree with. He then said the result didn’t matter which I didn’t agree with.

“His timing was a little bit off, shall we say. We’re in a situation where we should have gone third in the table that day.

“Like I said to the players, it looked like the club was run like a Mickey Mouse slash pub team. The people at the top have to understand that I’m a winner, I’m here to win - and if you don’t want that then I’m the wrong guy.

“The club can spin it any way they like but I was there to win at all costs. The dressing room is my domain and I’m within my rights to say what I like. I’ve seen managers go crazy, but I wasn’t crazy and was well calculated in what I was saying.

“There were harsh words from me towards the players and the hierarchy because I felt if I let things slide it would continue to happen.”

Yorke’s outburst triggered an immediate parting of the ways, club sources inferring his comments towards his players had breached the terms of his contract.

Yorke, who is in the midst of legal action, challenges that assertion, whilst conceding he gave Jake Holman a grilling over a costly second half red card he warned his team to avoid.

The plot thickened on the return flight, with text messages dropping that Yorke was initially suspended, then another one stating that Latapy had been fired and finally that Yorke was out, all before they hit the tarmac at Mascot.

“If they didn’t like what I said they should have called me into the office to address the situation, and then perhaps terminate the contract,” added Yorke. “But instead they blocked me from coming back to the club. I can’t get my stuff.

“To end things the way they did with me I think the hierarchy lacked a lot of class.Things could have been sorted out amicably.”

Despite his maiden head coaching role turning so sour, Yorke, 51, is looking to get back on the horse elsewhere as soon as possible. He is currently in the UAE looking to do just that.

“Macarthur gave me the opportunity to step into management and I’m grateful for that,” Yorke said. “We won the Australia Cup, and brought several good young players through and I’m proud of what I achieved in a short time.

“I wish it could have continued because I think we could have done something unique. My biggest disappointment is for the players because I think we were building something. But now it’s time to move on.

“I have a taste of what it takes and I think I have the attributes to go all the way to the top, and I intend to do that.

“I plan to get back into the game as soon as possible whether that’s back in the UK, maybe Asia or the Middle East.

“What’s happened with Macarthur has made me even more determined and moving forward I’ll be better equipped to deal with certain situations and to ask certain questions.

“It’s a learning experience - that’s how you get better as a coach.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 02, 2023, 03:54:11 PM »
Oooouuuch!!!!!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 29, 2023, 05:47:06 PM »
Yorke's ambitions undimmed despite nature of Macarthur departure
By Michael Church (Reuters)

Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke says he has not given up on his managerial ambitions despite experiencing a frustrating end to his stint at A-League side Macarthur FC earlier this year.

Yorke was given a long-awaited opportunity in management when he took over at the Sydney-based outfit in July and he led the fledgling club to their first trophy in their third year as a professional concern with victory in the Australia Cup.

However, internal issues saw the ex-Trinidad and Tobago international part company with Macarthur by mutual consent in January but the 51-year-old has not given up on his managerial hopes despite the abrupt end to his stint in Australia.

"All I ever wanted by getting into management was to do the football side of things," Yorke told Reuters ahead of this weekend's HKFC Citi Soccer Sevens where he was a guest speaker.

"That's why you hire me, to take care of that.

"I felt I did a pretty good job of doing that, based on where the team where and what we had done, winning the first trophy for the club.

"Sitting fourth in the league wasn't a terrible start, with a win percentage of nearly 60 percent.

"I think I was doing relatively OK, but there's more to management than that sometimes and sometimes behind the scenes things aren't perfect."

Yorke left Macarthur as speculation grew over meddling by the club's hierarchy in team affairs and he was linked with an immediate return to management as a replacement for the then-under pressure Steve Corica at Sydney FC.

The move to Sydney, where he spent a one-year spell towards the tail-end of his playing career, failed to materialise as Corica remained in position and Yorke has since returned to his base in Dubai as he waits for his next opportunity.

And while he would not rule out another stint in the A-League, Yorke is keeping his options open.

"Macarthur was a great experience to start with," he said. "I've actually got that experience now when people say I haven't managed before, which seems to be an issue in terms of getting a job.

"I will never say never in football. But (the Macarthur job) was not what I expected it to be, in terms of how it ended.

"I'm out of Sydney and I'm back in Dubai and seeking jobs elsewhere. That's part and parcel of the game and there are tonnes and tonnes of managers out there who are doing exactly the same, trying to get that break."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 12, 2023, 04:47:04 PM »
Dwight Yorke: 1998/99 season review
By James Gorse (strettynews.com)

This upcoming season will mark the 25th anniversary of the 1998/99 season for Manchester United, the best and most successful year of the club’s history.

Now we know that the noisy neighbours on the other side of the city have completed the Treble as well, but I would still maintain our is better, of course all City fans will maintain theirs is too but that’s life as a football fan.

In that year United signed three players: Jaap Stam signed from PSV Eindhoven and Jesper Blomqvist signed from Parma. United were linked with many strikers, in particular Patrick Kluivert, over the summer but opted to sign Dwight Yorke from Aston Villa for £12.6m.

United already boasted an embarrassment of riches up front with Yorke joining Andy Cole, Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunner Solskjaer. But if United had all this firepower, why did they feel the need to add to it?

Well Sir Alex Ferguson said of Yorke: “I needed a different type of player who could do different things, I felt I needed a player who could beat men with good balance. He’s two footed, good balance, quickness, he’s brave, good headerer of a ball, he’s got everything, I think what he needed was a platform”

A platform is what he got all right, it did not take him long to open his account, a home game against Charlton saw him score a brace on his home debut. He started very well in United colours, scoring goals and linking up well with his teammates.

His first European goal came in Munich against Bayern Munich, he also grabbed an assist for Paul Scholes in a 2-2 draw. United picked momentum in October and Yorke soon started to be amongst the goals but his blossoming relationship with Andy Cole was starting to bear fruit on the pitch.

The 25th of November 1998 was the day a partnership which looked promising become one of Europe’s most dangerous striking partnerships. United were away to Barcelona in the Champions League and it was a night for this team to come of age and Yorke to announce himself to Europe.

Sonny Anderson had put the home side ahead within a minute, but Yorke would score with United’s first shot on the Barcelona goal. The second goal of this game is one I remember watching and being absolutely stunned by a pass from Roy Keane intended for Yorke was dummied by him to Cole behind him.

Cole played it back to Yorke who played it back to Cole for him to slot in for United’s second goal, Clive Tyldesley described the combination between the pair as “Out of the world.” Yorke scored again to put United 3-2, but Rivaldo equalised for another 3-3 draw to match the one at Old Trafford in September.

This game was a statement for Yorke but also United too, they had often blundered in Europe and not achieved anywhere near the dominating League form. However, this performance proved they could go toe to toe with the best and Yorke emerged as a key player on the platform United gave him.

Yorke went on a little drought after this but after the New Year he picked up where he left off in Barcelona, a goal against West Ham was followed by his first United hat-trick at Filbert Street against Leicester.

An equaliser in a FA Cup game against Liverpool which United would go on to win endeared him even more so to fans, but in fact his next goal in the league is one of his most crucial. 0-0 away to Charlton in a midweek game and it looks like dropped points for United until Yorke rises to head in a last-minute winner which would be crucial further down the line.

His next big moment came in early March, a Champions League quarter-final against Inter Milan where Yorke again proved that this was the stage for him. Two headers from David Beckham crosses put United firmly in the driving seat for the return leg in Milan.

After a drab 0-0 Fa Cup game against Chelsea, the return leg a few days later provided Yorke with another double, the first being a poacher’s finish in the box but his second was top class. Running on to a ball just outside of the Chelsea box, he opts to hit it first time with the outside of his right foot to lob it over the goalkeeper. A goal to prove that this man could do the lot, that goal sent United to the Semi Finals and an unforgettable clash with Arsenal in the replay that maybe one of the greatest games played in England.

A week after United’s extra time win over Arsenal in that FA Cup semifinal replay was the most daunting fixture in European football at that time in Juventus Away. Juventus were the king makers in the Champions League in the mid to late 90’s, beat them and you would win the Champions League.

The tie was finally balanced at 1-1 from the previous game, but two quick-fire goals from Filippo Inzaghi in the first 11 minutes gave United a mountain to climb. The task seemed impossible until Roy Keane pulled them back into it with a Captain’s goal from a corner, then another header in a big game from Yorke levelled the game at 2-2 but gave United the advantage on the Away Goals rule.

After a long ball up field by Peter Schmeichel it fell to Yorke who went between two Juventus defenders then around the goalkeeper only to be brought down but his best friend and strike partner Andy Cole was there to finish it off and United were on the way to Barcelona and the Champions League final.

Yorke then scored a goal at the Kop at Anfield in a feisty 2-2 draw which kept United in the hunt for the title, a winner at Middlesborough from yet another header pushed the title towards the final game of the season.

United won 2-1 at home to Spurs to win the League, then beat Newcastle 2-0 to win the FA Cup and of course came from behind again to beat Bayern Munich 2-1 to win the Champions League.

A dramatic end to a dramatic season for United who achieved everything they could ask for; Yorke had been a key component in this side, but he had a request to make to the manager. He wanted a year off to recharge his batteries with full pay, I dread to think of the manager’s reaction when he asked for that.

A big money move leads to big expectations but for United after the 98-99 season it was worth it and then some, He scored 29 goals in all competitions, 11 in Europe was the sign that he was on the big stage and took his chance.

1]; } ?>