April 25, 2024, 10:49:18 AM

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke Official Thread  (Read 95769 times)

TrinInfinite

Re: Keane dampens Yorke ambitions
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2008, 07:52:47 AM »
The fact is Maturana will probably have Yorke riding pine behind Cupid and Forbes anyway so the comeback ent go last long regardless

thank god we have whitley, leon, bleeder still as holding mids, bc if yorke was we only viable option we was done oui lol

God is de BOSS....

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Yorke urged to apply for custody of his son.
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2009, 04:52:25 AM »
Katie back in the saddle.
Ireland Online.

Katie Price has met for riding lessons with Andrew Gould, the dressage coach whose relationship with the glamour model came under the spotlight when she split from Peter Andre.

The glamour model saddled up for a private lesson yesterday with married Gould - who was photographed flirting with Price just days before Andre walked out on her five weeks ago.

Price - who returned from a wild week of partying in Ibiza on Tuesday - met Gould at his stables in West Sussex for the lesson before they went to a nearby pub for lunch.

Gould, 28, has always strenuously denied allegations he and Price are romantically involved.

A source said: "Andrew has weathered the storm over these allegations. I suppose they felt it was OK to be together in public again. They're good friends."

Male model Anthony Lowther, who was linked to Katie during her time in Ibiza, has claimed she will soon return to the Spanish island to visit him.

He said: "We're well suited."

Meanwhile Andre returned to the UK yesterday with the three children the couple raise Harvey, seven, Junior, four, and 23-month-old Princess Tiaamii, after a holiday in Cyprus.

Harvey's biological dad, soccer player Dwight Yorke, has been urged to apply for custody of his son following Price's wild partying.

Yorke's brother Gary is quoted by Britain's Daily Star newspaper as saying: "Our mother is putting pressure on Dwight to take action. Dwight is concerned about Harvey and talks about him all the time.

"I can't say what Dwight is going to do, but our mum insists Dwight take action and soon."

Price and Andre are expected to start divorce proceedings soon.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke urged to apply for custody of his son.
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2009, 06:42:49 AM »
D man brother talking he bizness with the tabloids? I sure dwight not going to be too happy about that...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke urged to apply for custody of his son.
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2009, 11:06:08 AM »
Let Andre keep him and he is mr. super dad

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorke's seventh hell
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2011, 07:07:17 AM »
Yorke's seventh hell
By Rob Jones (evertonfc.com)

Dwight Yorke is widely regarded as one of the finest strikers to grace the Premier League.

But the former Manchester United and Aston Villa frontman is unlikely to look back too fondly on the last of his 123 top-flight goals.

Yorke was playing for Saturday's opponents Sunderland when he scored that goal – at Goodison Park - but unfortunately for him and the Black Cats it came in a crushing 7-1 defeat.

The Blues were irresistible that day with Yakubu and Tim Cahill running amok in a victory that stands alongside the 1996 demolition of Southampton as their most emphatic Premier League triumph.

And Yorke, now 39-years-old and a regular television pundit, says the result reflected a gulf in class between the sides on that particular day.

"It's my heaviest defeat as a footballer in my entire career, it was one that was a wake-up call for Sunderland." Yorke told evertonfc.com.

"Even though I scored in that game, that was a dismal performance from Sunderland and we didn't play well on the day.

"Everton played well and sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition.”

Yorke's goal that day made it 3-1 just before half time, and the former Trinidad and Tobago international thought he had given Sunderland a route back into the match.

Black Cats boss Roy Keane saw things differently, however, and Yorke was substituted at half-time, and the hosts went on to score another four in the second half.

"Clearly he had a motive that said I wasn't doing my job, when I came off the score was 3-1 and I'd scored at a vital time," explained Yorke.

"You think to yourself maybe 3-1 is not so bad going into the break and I would have gained a lot of confidence from it, but he didn't see it like that and we went on to lose 7-1. Maybe sometimes the manager doesn't always get it right!"

He added: "We made some schoolboy errors and Sunderland at that time were really down on confidence and really struggling in the league, we contributed to Everton scoring all those goals.

"I have fond memories of my footballing career but that has got to go down as one of the biggest disappointments."

To see if Everton can recreate that victory over Sunderland on Saturday click here to buy tickets.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke blasted on Twitter
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2012, 08:53:15 AM »
Dwight Yorke blasted on Twitter
news.uk.msn.com

Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke was the pundit for Man Utd v Aston Villa game on Sky but did not win many fans.

Yorke was called in to join the team of Ray Wilkins and Ron Atkinson, and Twitter was soon alight with his quotes.

Bias seems to be the main accusation, along with bad clothes.

Typical quotes on Twitter were: 'Dwight Yorke once again confirming that as far as pundits go there are non worse. Hasn't even got the conviction to be honest!'

'There was NO POINT in asking Dwight Yorke what he thought. He is so biased.'

'Dwight Yorke thinks it was a penalty? Surprise, surprise. Clark must have had a grenade in his boot which went off when Young stood on it.'

'Villa/Utd on Sky can mean only 1 thing. More expert opinion & insight from professional muppet and personality transplant Dwight Yorke'

'It's a huge um, a huge um, sort of thing Paul Scholes coming back.' Dwight Yorke's one of my favourite ever players, but his analysis poor.'

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight Yorke blasted on Twitter
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2012, 08:58:22 AM »
Those sound like bitter Villa supporters....remember they never forgave him for leaving them and going to ManU..... same with Ashley Young, who was again influential in the out come.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2012, 09:29:05 AM »
Those sound like bitter Villa supporters....remember they never forgave him for leaving them and going to ManU..... same with Ashley Young, who was again influential in the out come.

Not to mention, he doesn't come off like the sharpest tool in the shed either...just to be fair.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2012, 09:30:17 AM »

yeah but leave the fact that he's a countryman aside...........Yorke is pretty damn bad analyst......and bias is something very hard to hide.
I pity the fool....

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2012, 09:32:18 AM »

yeah but leave the fact that he's a countryman aside...........Yorke is pretty damn bad analyst......and bias is something very hard to hide.

Then he should work with the ESPN crew.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2012, 12:23:01 PM »
What allyuh talking about Yorke dam right, after all English players don't dive,
that is reserved for foreigners  ::)
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »
Yorke was called in to join the team of Ray Wilkins and Ron Atkinson, and Twitter was soon alight with his quotes.

This is the real news here

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2012, 02:01:26 PM »

This is the real news here
Ent !!!! was waiting for someone to notice.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorke's tour memories
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2012, 07:05:20 AM »
Yorke's tour memories
By Gemma Thompson (manutd.com)

Ahead of United’s DHL pre-season tour, former striker Dwight Yorke recalls his pre-season memories and has some words of advice for the club's new boys…

What are your overriding memories of pre-season?
For me, pre-season is about getting back into the swing of things after your holidays and getting yourself well prepared for the new season. It’s good to see the lads again and meet any new players we’ve signed and just generally refocus your efforts on your fitness and getting that competitive edge back.

What’s the best thing about pre-season if there is one?
[Laughs] There’s not a lot that’s good about pre-season! After relaxing on your holidays it’s about hard work. All the lads know that you have to focus on getting fit and pushing yourself so you’re in good shape mentally and physically in order to make sure you’re in that starting XI for the first game of the season.

Is it one of the most important times of the year for a player?
Absolutely. It gives you that base to build on for the rest of the season. You’ve had four or five weeks away having a good rest and when you come back you know you have to get yourself back into peak physical condition as soon as possible. You want to be in the gaffer’s starting XI for the first game – that’s the one thing you look forward to when you come back, that competitiveness with the other lads for a place in the team.

You went on several pre-season tours with United – it must be quite an experience to witness the passion of fans around the world?
Definitely. It just shows you how big this club is. The team are heading to South Africa, China and Scandinavia this year and it’ll be a great opportunity for the fans in those places who don’t have the opportunity to get to Old Trafford very often to see the team in action both in training and matches. Some fans will also get the chance to interact with the players and maybe get a few autographs and photos which will be a great experience for them.

You know what it’s like to move to Old Trafford – what advice would you give to Shinji Kagawa and Nick Powell?
The best advice I can give them is to not get caught up in the fact they’re playing for Manchester United, but just to go out there and express themselves and do their best for the team. There is a reason they are both at the club – the manager has seen their talent and believes they are good enough for Manchester United and will bring something different to the team. Both players need to believe that as well. I’m sure the other players, as they always do, will make both of them feel very welcome and once they settle in I’m sure they’ll be top players for us.

Are you expecting to see us make more signings before the season starts?
Yes I’m sure we will, in fact the gaffer is probably busy working on things as we speak and will have been doing for a while. He knows that the team needs to improve – the likes of Giggsy and Scholesy have been fantastic for us but they are in the twilight of their career so the gaffer will be looking at bringing in some young blood as he already has done with Kagawa and Powell. I expect a couple more signings in order to make the squad even more competitive as we begin our bid to regain the Premier League trophy.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke Official Thread
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2012, 06:53:32 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/P1CeOpI4nQw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/P1CeOpI4nQw</a>
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:07:55 AM by Flex »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: There is only one Dwight Yorke
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2012, 09:04:44 AM »
legend
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight Yorke Official Thread
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2012, 12:46:39 PM »
LEGEND indeed. There will never be another one. Very intelligent player.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2012, 08:25:32 PM »
Ah never liked Andy Cole, I think he was jealous of Yorke and was also selfish most of the time.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOs8vDAT3qk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aOs8vDAT3qk</a>

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke launches the Mizuno Performance Centre
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »
Luke Donald, Sally Gunnell and Dwight Yorke Launch the Mizuno Performance Centre
Mizuno Media

Luke Donald, Sally Gunnell, Dwight Yorke and other leading Mizuno ambassadors today launched the Japanese brands innovative new Performance Centre. Opening at central London’s iconic Centre Point building the pop up experience welcomes both Londoners and city visitors alike through its doors between 24th July and 12th August.

To the sound of traditional Japanese drumming, Sky Sports News presenter Charlotte Jackson started proceedings before President of the brand, Akito Mizuno, cut the ceremonial ribbon to officially open the Mizuno Performance Centre. Jackson then hosted a Q&A with the Mizuno ambassadors – Luke Donald, Sally Gunnell, Dwight Yorke, Tasha Danvers, Dan Norton, Simon Wittlin and Heidi Møller – who provided an insight into their own experiences of competing at major competitions. Whilst renowned Japanese brushstroke artist Hidekichi Shigemoto painted bespoke life size pieces which will be on display for the duration of the event.

World Number One Golfer Luke Donald commented, “It’s great to have been involved in the opening of the Mizuno Performance Centre, a stunning London attraction which I’m sure will be hugely popular this summer. Providing a great chance for visitors to try out different sports and test out the latest Mizuno equipment it’s a must for any sports fan.”

Demonstrating the state of the art activity zone supplied by GlobalGames®Sports, former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke showed off his skills in the specially made football area whilst renowned England Rugby Sevens speedster Dan Norton went head to head with an augmented reality version of himself on the 20m track. And GB Handball players Simon Wittlin and Heidi Møller let loose on the handball court showing the gathered crowds what the sport can offer. Elsewhere in the specially designed space, visitors took advantage of the free biomechanical running analysis and tried out a variety of Mizuno sports products.

“I’m thrilled to be opening the Mizuno Performance Centre ahead of what will be a brilliant summer of sport” said Akito Mizuno. “We believe the iconic status of the building is a perfect reflection of the Mizuno brand. Our customers have a wonderful opportunity to try out the latest Seiei Collection products, interact with our sports stars and explore more about our Japanese heritage in what will be a truly exciting day out for all the family.”

Olympic Gold medallist Sally Gunnell, along with the other Mizuno ambassadors, showcased the brand’s limited edition Seiei Collection of footwear. ‘Seiei’ (pronounced “say ay”) is Japanese for the word ‘elite’ and this exclusive new range will be worn by Mizuno’s top sporting athletes this summer. The limited edition footwear range is made up of the renowned Wave Ronin 4, Wave Rider 15, Wave Kudos, Wave Universe 4 running shoes, as well as Volleyball’s Wave Lightning RX and Wave Tornado 7, the Wave Stealth 2 for Handball and the Morelia Neo MD for Football.

As a company founded in Osaka by brothers Rihachi and Rizo Mizuno in 1906, Mizuno has evolved from a small shop selling sporting sundries to a worldwide multisport network consistently crafting revolutionary technical goods to improve elite sporting performance. Despite their global growth, Mizuno has stayed loyal to the values and beliefs upon which it was founded and the Performance Centre showcases a wonderful blend of Japanese culture and advanced modern sports technology and innovation.

For your opportunity to visit the Mizuno Performance Centre, find out more about what is going on each day and to take part in all of the activities with prizes to be won, register online at www.mizunoseiei.com.

Additionally on weeknights from 24th July to 12th August the Mizuno Performance Centre is available for free corporate use. For your chance to have exclusive 7pm-10pm access to the space please register at www.mizunoseiei.com/corporate-hospitality.php.

Mizuno Performance Centre, Centre Point Building, 103, New Oxford Street, London, WC1A 1DU www.mizunoseiei.com.

Notes to Editors:

As part of the Seiei campaign the following Mizuno ambassadors will be wearing the elite range during 2012;

Wave Stealth 2 (Handball) - Laszlo Nagy, Cristian Ugalde, Viran Morros
Wave Lightning RX (Volleyball) - Jordan Larson   
Morelia Neo (Football) - Hulk
Chrono Break WR-I (Sprinting) - Christian Malcolm
GX2 (Swimming) - Federica Pellegrini

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2012, 07:17:52 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jwwJCFoZf94" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jwwJCFoZf94</a>

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke Interview - Mizuno Performance Centre
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2012, 12:59:40 PM »
SoccerBible sat down with Dwight Yorke at the official opening of the Mizuno Performance Centre in London, which is open until August 12th. The Performance Centre offers an Olympic experience, as free-of-charge events offer unique interactivity.

http://www.soccerbible.com/news/general/archive/2012/08/01/dwight-yorke-interview-mizuno-performance-centre.aspx

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Yorke amongst FIFA's list of top A-League players of all time.
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2012, 09:33:02 AM »
The A-League's overseas A-listers.
FIFA.COM.

Alessandro Del Piero recently left the Old Lady of Calcio to join an eight-year-old club Down Under. The Juventus legend was not the first foreign superstar to make Australia his new home. FIFA.com looks back at his seven most famous predecessors and the varying impacts they had in the A-League.

Dwight Yorke (Trinidad and Tobago)
Sydney FC, 2005-06
‘The Smiling Assassin’ could have remained in the prestigious pastures of the English Premier League, or pocketed mega-bucks in the Middle East, when following his departure from Birmingham City in 2005 he surprisingly joined the Sky Blues. It was a decision that paid rich dividends for the A-League and Sydney FC. The presence of a man who played an instrumental role in Manchester United’s annus mirabilis of 1999 was of considerable commercial benefit to the competition, while his on-field leadership and seldom ability helped the club become the maiden A-League champions. At 33, Yorke had lost a yard of his once-feared pace, prompting coach Pierre Littbarski to revert him from a striker to a central midfielder. It was a position which suited Yorke’s intelligence, dribbling, vision and execution of pass to a tee. The Trinidad and Tobago legend netted a diving header on his A-League debut, scored and starred in Sydney’s 2-1 upset of African colossuses Al Ahly in the match for fifth place at the FIFA Club World Cup Japan 2005, and played the principal role in thrusting the Sydneysiders into the Grand Final. There, he tormented Central Coast Mariners throughout and cannily set up the only goal for Steve Corica. Yorke’s performance was rewarded with the Joe Marston Medal, awarded to the fixture’s best player. It would prove Yorke’s last official outing for Sydney as, after impressing at the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™, he returned to the English top flight with Sunderland.

Kazu Miura (Japan)
Sydney FC, 2005
The Japanese spectators screamed hysterically every time one man touched the ball at the FIFA Club World Cup Japan 2005. Not Amoroso, Steven Gerrard, Rogerio Ceni or Xabi Alonso, but the Sydney No11. ‘King Kazu’, of course, was the Japanese game’s first superstar and the maiden Asian Footballer of the Year, so his signing was a marketing masterstroke by the club. At 38, Miura was well past his peak, but he still had his moments during his six matches for Sydney, including scoring twice in a 3-2 loss at Adelaide United.

Benito Carbone (Italy)
Sydney FC, 2006
Eager to fill Yorke’s sizeable void, the Sky Blues handed another former star of English football a four-match deal with a view to a permanent move. Carbone’s debut suggested they had once again hit the jackpot, with the little attacking midfielder setting up two goals – including one with an exquisite back-heel – and scoring one as Sydney emphatically won 4-1 away to Adelaide United. After netting a free-kick in his third game, however, the former Inter Milan and Sheffield Wednesday man sustained a hamstring tear that ruled him out for two months. Dissuaded by Carbone’s injury problems, Sydney elected against increasing their initial contract offer, which the 35-year-old had rejected.

Romario (Brazil)
Adelaide United, 2006-07
Over two decades since he made his professional debut, the 40-year-old Baixinho (Shortie) signed a big-money four-match deal with The Reds. There was a carnival atmosphere, with samba drums beating and Brazilian dancers performing, during his first two outings, but both ended with Romario drawing blanks and Adelaide losing. The marksman who inspired Brazil to USA 1994 glory was then substituted with his side losing at home to rock-bottom New Zealand Knights, with his replacement Travis Dodd helping United earn a point. Finally, in his last appearance, Romario scored and Adelaide won. It was one of the ugliest goals of the Barcelona legend’s career, but they all count – that one helped United edge Newcastle Jets 3-2 and qualify for the play-offs in second place, and himself move onto 987 career goals by his personal count.

Jardel (Brazil)
Newcastle Jets, 2007-08
The New South Wales side made the former Brazil striker their marquee signing ahead of the A-League’s third season, but he was unrecognisable from the man who scored more goals than he played games over six seasons in Portugal between 1996 and 2003. An overweight Jardel was relegated to the bench after just one appearance and, although club owner Con Constantine persistently urged coach Gary van Egmond to give the two-time European Golden Shoe winner a run in the team, the former eventually admitted the latter had been right after the 34-year-old was still goalless following 11 matches for the Jets. Jardel left Hunter Stadium in the January, and six weeks later Newcastle became A-League champions.

Juninho Paulista (Brazil)
Sydney FC, 2007-08
“He’s every striker’s dream,” said Alex Brosque of Sydney team-mate Juninho Paulista. “He creates opportunities for you out of nothing.” And that the 2002 FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan winner did with monotonous regularity for Brosque and Co when he was on the pitch. The problem with the former Middlesbrough and Atletico Madrid genius was that consistent injuries limited him to just 14 appearances in the 2007/08 A-League, and prompted the club to release him at the end of the season.

Robbie Fowler (England)
North Queensland Fury, 2009-10
Perth Glory, 2010-11
North Queensland Fury made the Liverpool legend their marquee signing for their inaugural A-League campaign, and although the 34-year-old scored a few spectacular goals, his form was inconsistent as the club failed to make the play-offs. Following a contractual dispute, Fowler moved across Australia to Perth Glory. The former England striker scored nine goals in 28 appearances for the Western Australia outfit, who finished a disappointing second-bottom of the 2010/11 A-League’s regular season. Fowler swiftly ended his Australian adventure for “family reasons”.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:46:11 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline TheGreatBambino

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trinidad Videos
Re: Yorke amongst FIFA's list of top A-League players of all time.
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2012, 05:13:37 AM »
Still the best we have seen here in Australia!!

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2012, 11:22:34 AM »
Will
Still the best we have seen here in Australia!!
never forget the descriptor Terry Fenwick used of him,  "He is a sublime player." Couldn't agree more. Brilliant player.

Only thing. Don't get the feeling he is a teacher, though.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:24:38 AM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2012, 07:16:27 PM »
legend
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2012, 06:30:03 PM »
Hundreds expected at Sydney airport for Del Piero.

SYDNEY (AP) -Hundreds of football fans are expected to cram Sydney's international airport terminal on Sunday morning for the much-anticipated arrival of Italian star forward Alessandro Del Piero.

The 37-year-old Del Piero signed a two-year contract on Sept. 5 worth a reported $4 million with Sydney FC and could play for his new A-League club in a preseason match as early as next weekend.

Del Piero, a member of Italy's 2006 World Cup-winning team and who scored a Juventus-record 286 goals in all competitions over 19 seasons with the Serie A club, is expected to revitalize the struggling A-League, which has suffered from declining crowds and the folding of two teams in the past two seasons.

The expected airport turnout for his scheduled 10:20 a.m. (0020 GMT) arrival Sunday has prompted a warning from Sydney chief executive Tony Pignata, who traveled to Turin 10 days ago to get Del Piero's signature on the contract.

"Regarding Alessandro Del Piero's arrival, airport security will not allow him to come through if they have safety fears,'' he said. "So let's be orderly and respectful please.''

Pignata said he was pleased with the response of fans - more than 2,000 club memberships have been sold since Del Piero's contract was signed.

Tickets for Sydney's first home match at the 45,000-seat Sydney Football Stadium on Oct. 13 have not yet gone on sale. A Sydney official said although the match was unlikely to be a sellout - "that's a big call'' - it could by the team's biggest first-match crowd in its history.

Sydney coach Ian Crook said Del Piero's determination to arrive almost a week earlier than expected demonstrated his desire to make good on his promise that he was "not coming for a holiday.''

"It's fantastic news that he is arriving on Sunday, and we look forward to integrating him into the Sydney FC team,'' Crook said. "It shows he's a pro and is keen to get started, which we knew was the case.

"As a coaching and medical group, we'll have a chat to him and a good look at him so we can plan through that process.''

Del Piero's official unveiling is expected to be next week when the players will be handed their jersey for the upcoming season. Del Piero will wear his traditional No. 10.

On Saturday, Sydney FC said in a statement that Del Piero would hold his first media conference in Australia on Monday and take part in his first training session with the team on Tuesday.

His first game for Sydney could be against Newcastle next Saturday, a preseason match scheduled to be played in the Central Coast town of Budgewoi north of Sydney. However, if Del Piero plays, it is expected to be moved to a larger stadium at nearby Gosford.

Sydney plays its first-round match of the new A-League season at Wellington, New Zealand on Oct. 6.

Wellington Phoenix general manager David Dome told local media after Del Piero was signed that he was confident the Italian would bring thousands of extra fans to the opening match.

"He's won a World Cup, he's a big-name player,'' Dome said. "You don't get to see that many of these sorts of players in New Zealand so it's only right to expect that a lot of people will want to turn up to see Del Piero.''

The excitement of seeing Del Piero was expected to push crowd numbers "right up there'' in the 36,000-seat venue, Dome said.

Average attendance in the league dropped from a high of 14,600 in 2007-08 to as low as 8,400 in 2010-11, although it increased to 10,500 last season.

North Queensland Fury folded in 2010 and Gold Coast United in 2011, but the league will return to 10 teams with the addition of the Western Sydney Wanderers this season.

Regardless of what he does on the field on his aging legs, the deal has made Del Piero the highest paid athlete in Australia's four football codes, which also includes rugby league, rugby union and Australian Rules.

The A-League's other past marquee signings, meaning they are outside the team's salary cap, have been formerly England-based Trinidad and Tobago star Dwight Yorke, who also played for Sydney in 2005-06, and former Liverpool forward Robbie Fowler, who played with the now-defunct North Queensland team then Perth Glory from 2009-11.

Sydney did not qualify for the Asian Champions League this season. It was the inaugural A-League champion in 2006 and won again in 2010.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Andre DosSantos

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight York
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2012, 08:40:22 AM »
Watching Fox soccer channel and it was just said that Dwight York is there ManU guest host that is going to appear.

Offline Andre DosSantos

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight York
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2012, 08:45:01 AM »
dwight york and lee sharp are on

giggsy11

Re: Dwight York
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2012, 08:49:03 AM »
I should come up to NYC and check out that scene. Ah wonder tickets still available?

1]; } ?>