March 28, 2024, 05:15:59 PM

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke Official Thread  (Read 94905 times)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight Yorke Official Thread
« Reply #270 on: May 06, 2016, 10:23:36 PM »
My brother passed through and was able to get a photo with both of them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:30:46 PM by soccerman »

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight Yorke truly made me proud
« Reply #271 on: May 11, 2016, 07:54:32 PM »
Letter to the Trinidad Express

The performance of Trinidad and Tobago football captain in the inaugural Australian A League football in Sydney over the weekend was truly outstanding.

Dwight Yorke was awarded the Joe Marston Medal as man of the match, not only for setting up the only and winning goal but for his general all-round play, leading his Sydney FC team throughout the match and particularly in the second half. His performance was all the more meritorious for him having flown to England and back during this past week to play and also star for T&T in the friendly played there.

Mr Yorke then spoke to the crowd of nearly 42,000 fans, a record for football in Sydney, in a most eloquent and pleasant manner that would bring pride and honour to all in T&T in much the same way that Brian Lara didwhen the Windies toured here late last year.

Together these two outstanding sportsmen have brought great notice and appreciation of what our little country can do and maybe there will be more of the same with the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne starting next week.

As Trinidad & Tobago's Honorary Consul-General in Australia for 25 years and also a national representative in track some 50 years ago these performances and subsequent actions made me more proud and pleased than usual.

Mike Agostini
Sydney, Australia

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/more-sports/former-champion-sprinter-mike-agostini-has-died-at-the-age-of-81/news-story/929d54f89ee4d34b8401483974a37e7c
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:33:09 AM by anbrat »

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 04, 2016, 07:22:47 PM »

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 10, 2016, 11:43:26 AM »
WATCH: All of Dwight Yorke’s goals and assists during his time at Manchester United. A masterclass in shooting, heading, passing, and off-the-ball running. A must-see for all Trinidad and Tobago football fans.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 11, 2016, 11:31:24 AM »
WATCH: All of Dwight Yorke’s goals and assists during his time at Manchester United. A masterclass in shooting, heading, passing, and off-the-ball running. A must-see for all Trinidad and Tobago football fans.

:beermug:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 06, 2016, 03:20:31 AM »

Former T&T captain Dwight Yorke says the Soca Warriors must take the game to the Guatemalan visitors when both sides meet at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Friday evening.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4d3I5XQifwU&amp;spfreload=10" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4d3I5XQifwU&amp;spfreload=10</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Welcome to Dwight Yorke’s Stables, home of the very high horses
« Reply #278 on: October 25, 2016, 12:23:53 PM »
Welcome to Dwight Yorke’s Stables, home of the very high horses
By Ben Reuven (armchairallamericans.com)

If you’re a Villa fan you might have mixed emotions about the Dwight Yorke, the Trinidad and Tobago international that played 232 matches, scoring 73 goals overall.

His departure from Birmingham (and his return to the blue side of the city) still possibly makes hard-core supporters upset.

John Gregory, the Aston Villa manager at the time, made it clear that the Villians would not sell Yorke to Manchester United unless they were willing to give them Andy Cole in return. After Yorke told Gregory he wanted out of Villa, Gregory was reported saying “If I had a gun, I would have shot him”. Yorke was, and still is, a wild card.

The former Villa, United, Blackburn, Birmingham and Sunderland man is now trying to get into management and his antics have not changed.

In an interview to talkSPORT ,he states that the fact he’s not a manager right now is racism. (and experience, but mostly racism).

Dwight was particularly dismayed about not getting “even an interview” at his former club, Aston Villa. It seems that the striker assumed that because he was once a Villian, he’s due some sort of courtesy interview of some sorts even though he doesn’t hold an acceptable level of certification or have any club experience.

Now you may think, this guy played for Manchester united and in the Premier League for a number of years, he must have something to teach, you’d be correct, to a certain limited extent. As the ex-pro, himself said in another interview on the same subject to beIN sports “despite all of my experience as a player, I’ve never really had any experience as a manager which is a different concept of being a coach.” He’s also, somewhat, right.

If you ever played Football Manager or even played in a Sunday league team, you’ll know that there are different coaches and managers, each one has their own management style and way of doing things. Obviously being a manager is a lot more responsibility but there’s a reason why you usually start as a coach and end up as a manager, it follows the same lines; it requires the same attributes and usually the same experiences and qualifications.

He could very well be a perfectly good coach and/or manager, but the fact of the matter is, Dwight Yorke is aiming too high.

According to an article in the Birmingham Mail, Yorke only holds a UEFA B Licence which is pretty much the “in the middle” qualification between level one, which is the absolute basic form of the Pro Licence, which is the Premier League requirement. Here’s the coaching pathway from the English Football Association, for reference.

During his interview, he’s asked “You obviously fancy the Villa job … but, do you wanna start at the top or would you drop down to lower division to get the experience or to get a job?”

He replied with : “Well listen, I think that the years of when managers were considered, ten years of doing the service in the lower divisions and going from there and all of that. It’s great if you can, but you see the life span of management now, two-three years, you get one opportunity and you have to make it count, if it doesn’t it’s very difficult to make it back in.”

In the same interview, after being asked if he’ll start in League two, like one of the other black managers in the football league, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, he responded: “yeah well yeah, as I said, you never say never, but I’d like to give myself a realistic chance, like managers do. If you go and you fail it’s a catch 22, if you go and you fail there’s no way back. Managers given 2-3-4 opportunities, I’m not sure that would be the case for us, as I said, it’s already difficult getting one job, let alone another one if you fail at one job and that’s a thing that we need to address.”

In essence, Yorke makes a good point. It’s much harder to come back to the game if you failed at a lower league club than a Premier League club. Saying that, is that a reason to wait?

Let’s take Mark Cooper who is in charge of Forest Green Rovers at the time of writing. Mark had a long playing career in the lower leagues and managed mostly there yet the 47-year-old had 8 different clubs in his 12 years in management, including some half decent teams like Peterborough United and Swindon Town. He was sacked from The Posh after 13 games yet went into another manager position, in the now defunct Darlington Town, a few months later.

My point here is that it’s obviously hard to be a manager and it’s a risky job as Yorke correctly states, the life span of managers in any leagues is getting shorter by the season, however, the same managers keep popping up around the leagues, if you’re down a league or up a league, you’re still in management doing what you love in arguably one of the most sought after jobs in the world.

If Yorke doesn’t want the full risk or doesn’t fancy something in the lower leagues, what about being an assistant manager? If the team fails, the media won’t crucify him, the fans won’t really know if it was his fault or how good or bad he was at his job , and it won’t be as publicised. he’d also get the experience he needs to beef up his CV and experience as a manager, so when the interviewer asked him about being an assistant manager and how much does he want to get into football, I was once again amazed by his answer : “You go do your coaching badges, which is one thing, but management, as we all know, is a totally different thing, so it doesn’t add up what they’re trying to do. Again, it all depends. If you want to be a coach because coaching is probably not the easiest thing but because you have the knowledge for the sessions you need to put on and organisation that it takes; I get that. But management is a total different level! You’re managing players and getting into players heads and getting them performing to a level it’s a totally different thing, they don’t coach that at St. George’s, they never do. They just coach how to put on sessions on how to conduct a proper session and to get your point of view over.”

As a beginner coach who dreams at one point being a professional coach, at any level, this answer above all else, struck me as inexperienced, unintelligible and in all honesty, laughable. To most of you who never went and looked at the different courses your local FA offers, you can find a variety of courses that they will usually offer. As someone who dreams of making it big, wherever it might be, I’ve had a glance at the UEFA Pro Licence course and what it entails. Among the other subjects that are taught on the 27 days long course are the following items:

Communicating with players, communicating with staff, Influence and influencing, Practical applications of leadership, Leading and developing staff and associates, leading winning teams in the modern game.

Now, if I, an amateur coach, know this, how does someone who applies for a manager vacancy in the Championship, doesn’t? How is a man, who is desperate enough to go on radio and TV and basically accuse employers of not giving him a chance because of the colour of his skin, is unaware of the tools that are on offer to him to advance his career?!

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m sure the Pro Licence doesn’t teach you everything but I’m completely and utterly sure it gives you a very good base to start from if you lack any managerial experience in those areas.

I realise jobs are limited in England and maybe Yorke reckons he can do well somewhere else, where there are more black people in football maybe, who knows. British managers rarely go abroad and through the years, they returned with mixed results. If we ignore the flops and mention some of the greats, you have the likes of Roy Hodgson, Terry Venables, John Toshack and one of my favourite managers, Sir Bobby Robson.

So what about somewhere else in Europe to start his career, the former striker was asked, his response was an unsatisfying one, as usual: “Where do you go abroad? My experience has been in here most of the time. You gotta start somewhere; we know that, if a good opportunity comes abroad, you gotta go. But the fact is that you’re not getting anything, nobody’s getting anywhere.”

What will you have us, the beginner coaches, the people who want a taste of what we can only see on TV and computer games, do? Should we just pack it in and go “oh, this is going to take me too long and I’ll probably get sacked on the way, I might as well not give it a go at all”?

I must say, the defeatist attitude the former striker was putting on show was getting me frustrated but I’ve risked getting even madder and continued listening to Yorke’s interview.

“Now players are coming out of the game, far more educated and far more wise in terms of the work they need to be done in terms of getting that managerial experience, but you know, you look at Steve Bruce, for instance, he came straight out of playing, straight into management. Given the opportunity, Roy Keane the same, and the list keeps going on, (Gareth) Southgate the same, but when it comes to black managers, no one has ever been given that opportunity so there must be a question mark to be asked”.

Before I go into the race remark which should bother you, the reader, whatever gender, race or age you are, let’s break down his answer.

First of all, Yorke is correct in pointing out that players are now more educated when it comes to management and really, just about everything. As a professional player, if you’re interested in management, the club will usually put you through your “badges” whilst you’re still playing and it will usually be paid by the club or at least subsidised by the FA. (Former and active players have a considerable amount knocked off the course price by the FA or the PFA.)

Moving to the other part of his answer, If you know the following managers as players, you’d know they were great players for what they brought the team in terms of spirit and attitude, these are not world class players or Ballon d`Or winners, these are men who can lead, motivate and manage a group of players.

Yorke goes straight at Steve Bruce (who is now the new Aston Villa manager). Steve Bruce’s managerial career started at Sheffield United, the last club he will play for as a professional footballer. In the 98/99 season, he took over The Blades and led them to an 8th place in what was then, the First Division, nine points away from the playoffs. He then resigned in May 1999 before being persuaded a week later to take the Huddersfield Town job.

Keep this in mind: Steve Bruce was heavily linked to the England manager job and through his career was praised for his bravery, willingness to play through injuries, and being solid and dependable. He started his managerial career almost twenty years ago.

On to the next point of Yorke’s name dropping segment, it’s Roy Keane.

Another ex-Manchester United player, Keane took his first shot at the manager’s chair at Sunderland in August 2006, where he knew the departing manager and then club chairman, Niall Quinn. He had 100 games with the Black Cats, securing promotion in the 2006/07 season. He even brought the subject of this article, Dwight Yorke with him to Sunderland. Keane left after a difference of opinions between him and Ellis Short and took up the Ipswich town post before being named Republic of Ireland assistant manager to Martin O`Neill, a role he still holds.

As most of you know, Roy Keane is a legend in Manchester United; he captained the side and once was thought by Sir Alex Ferguson to be the man to succeed him. (Before Keane left United in a huge controversial manner).

The last man on Yorke’s list is the current England manager, Gareth Southgate.

Southgate started his career at Middlesbrough in 2006, the last team he played for professionally. He was handed the role after Steve McClaren left to manage England. His appointment drew controversy as he did not have the required coaching qualifications (the aforementioned UEFA Pro Licence) to manage a top-flight club. Arsene Wenger was reported saying about Southgate : “He’s one of several English managers who were all good enough to manage the national team”. He took Boro to 12 in the Premier League that season but then got them relegated and was dismissed before ending the season in October 2009. His dismissal was controversial as he had taken Boro to within one point of the top position. Southgate was named the FA’s head of elite development and worked with Sir Trevor Brooking. He left the post in July 2012 and took over the England U21 team in August 2013.

I think even Dwight Yorke would agree with me that football has changed in the last ten years, not to mention twenty years.

The above appointments would have never happened today. The amount of money that’s being spent in the Premier League, the size of the egos of the players and the sheer pressure from the media will make it very hard for an untried manager to take the helm. Wayne Rooney can’t just all of a sudden step in as interim manager of Manchester United nor can John Terry do the same in Chelsea, for example. The last somewhat similar case was Gary Monk who became the Swansea manager after the sacking of Michael Laudrup in 2014.

Onto the biggest claim Dwight Yorke is making in these interviews and I assume in his life – the race card.

Dr. Steven Bradbury, of Loughborough University, carried out a study in 2014, which found there were just 19 BME managers and coaches at elite level across all 92 professional football clubs in the English leagues.

This is, however, excluding all coaches in clubs including youth coaches.

So let’s look at the stats, at the time of writings, the only black managers in the 92 clubs of the football league are Chris Hughton of Brighton, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink of QPR, Chris Powell as caretaker manager of Derby County and Keith Curle of Carlisle United.

So there are 4 managers out of 92 who are black, that’s an extremely small rate of 4.3%.

The fact of the matter is, that’s very low, but is that strange?

According to the UK 2011 census, only 1.8% of UK-born and 13% of Non-UK born identify as black. In regular numbers, according to the census, those are 873K UK-Born and 992K Non-UK born. Together they make 1,865,000. Let’s round that up to 2,000,000. If there are 2 million black people in the UK and 63 million people overall, that makes for a “whopping” 3.17% black population.

Logically, that says that there aren’t that many black people in the UK which mean the percentage of them in any job, will be lower than the percentages of white British.

To put this point into football terms, only 25% of professional football players, are black. That again means that the vast majority of people in the football industry are white. This is without taking into consideration that a great deal of that 25 % are non-British and will most likely take up manager jobs or resume their footballing careers elsewhere.

In his interview, Yorke says a lot of how you get the job has to do with who you know and who you’re connected to. This is, unfortunately, very true; but it does make sense.

You’re more willing to trust people you know rather than a stranger you just hired, no matter how big his reputation is. That, for me, makes Roy Keane at Sunderland, Steve Bruce at Sheffield and Southgate at Boro acceptable. They spent a long time in the club and/or knew the owner or part of the board before taking over. As an ex-pro, I’m sure Dwight Yorke knows quite a few people in football. His earlier comment about trying to get a lower league position or rather the lack of interest in it says to me that some people have already been in touch with him but he didn’t fancy it. Maybe he rejected the idea of being an assistant or a youth coach as well, who knows?

The BBC has spoken to a few black coaches in an article they did back in 2015. The difference of attitude and the sheer desire to succeed just reminds me how annoyed I got when I first heard Yorke’s latest interviews.

When Vill Powell who according to the BBC article works for Sheffield City Council and the Rotherham United’s Under-14s is asked if the stats put him off his dream of becoming a successful coach, he had this to say: “I am someone who has always thought it was down to me whether I was good enough or not. It is more about opportunity. I am going to get a lot more knockbacks. I am not one to throw around allegations that it is about skin colour, even though there are too many elements of that … If I have to kick doors down, that is what I will do.”

And did he think his skin colour is an issue? : “I am stubborn. I don’t take ‘no’ for an answer. I know people who have given up. For me, it is the frame of mind. You have to be mentally strong, even though you might feel the opportunities are not going to be there, or it is going to take twice as long. I will get there eventually. I have to believe that otherwise there would be no point. I might as well stop now.”

I could honestly not have said that better. Here’s hoping the likes of Vill Powell make it far.

Lastly, I just have to wonder. Is it the colour of Dwight Yorke’s skin that is preventing him from getting his foot in the door or is it his sense of entitlement, his lack of desire or quite plainly, his oversized ego that makes him such a hard hire?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:43:15 PM by Tallman »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 25, 2016, 02:32:06 PM »
Can't comment on the racism issue maybe what Dwight is saying is true, who knows. However he should get some coaching experience under his belt even if it's with a youth team, the reserves or a lower level team, volunteer. Something to build his resume and hopefully show progress. After Luis Enrique's playing career he started by coaching Barca's B team then a couple other clubs now he's Barca's head coach. Even Zidane coached Real Madrid's B team before getting promoted. Giggs has experience and still got overlooked for the Swansea job in Wales.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #280 on: January 19, 2017, 01:11:11 PM »
Dwight Yorke has been appointed to FIFA ‘s Development Committee.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hero’s welcome for Dwight Yorke in the Cayman Islands
« Reply #281 on: January 24, 2017, 09:04:47 PM »
Hero’s welcome for Dwight Yorke in the Cayman Islands
By James Whittaker (Cayman Compass)

Former Manchester United star Dwight Yorke told young Caymanian footballers he is “living proof” that a kid from a small Caribbean island can make it to the highest level in the sport.

Yorke, from Tobago, the most successful player to come out of the Caribbean, led a training session with youngsters at the Academy Sports Club’s mini-slam tournament over the Heroes Day holiday weekend.

Hundreds turned out to see him and have their picture taken with the famous FA Cup trophy during the youth tournament.

The cup was brought to the Cayman Islands as part of a Caribbean tour organized by FLOW as part of its partnership with Manchester United, the current holders of the trophy.

Yorke is a global ambassador for Manchester United and part of the squad that won a historic and unprecedented treble of the English Premier League, European Cup and FA Cup titles in 1999.

The 45-year-old, who also helped lead Trinidad and Tobago to become the smallest country ever to qualify for the World Cup, spent the day at the Academy field in George Town, chatting to youngsters, passing on coaching tips and stopping for photographs with fans of all ages.

From shin pads and football boots, to shirts and water bottles, the affable Yorke signed everything that was thrust into his hands by scores of young footballers and their parents.

Speaking to the media, after leading a short training session with youngsters from the Academy’s Under-11 side, he said he was impressed with the talent he saw in the Cayman Islands.

“I’m sure the young fans are excited to come out and see the cup,” he said.

“It is a great privilege for me to interact with these kids, to give them hope, try to encourage them and to let them know that they can fulfil their dreams.”

With hard work, discipline and natural talent, he believes anything is possible for Cayman’s young players.

“These are young kids that love the game of football, some of them probably have aspirations to go on to be professional.

“I’m living proof to these kids that you can do it. I come from a Caribbean island. I never thought I was going to make it to the level that I did, but there is hope.”

Yorke was spotted by Aston Villa scouts as a teenager, already playing for the Trinidad and Tobago senior national team. After a five-week trial he signed for the Birmingham club and went on to become one of the most formidable strikers in the Premier League.

He signed for Manchester United in 1998, forming a deadly strike partnership with Andy Cole that helped United win the treble a year later. Yorke, now 45, also played for Blackburn, Birmingham, Sydney FC and Sunderland before his retirement in 2009.

He said the globalization of the game would make it easier for talented kids in the Cayman Islands to get spotted by scouts than it was when he was coming through.

“The transition from the Caribbean now to the Premier League and the global sports arena is very accessible. Back in my day it was more difficult to get in.”

Yorke was clearly impressed by the skills on display at Academy field on Monday, picking out two or three youngsters as potential stars.

He added, “I see potential but we have seen that potential so many times. Kids have to be committed to make it in their sport. The Caribbean has always been a place that is full of talent. I have met players with tons of ability buy if you don’t have the right mentality, the discipline and the work ethic, that’s not going to take you very far. If you combine those things, you have a chance.”

A total of 207 youngsters played 32 matches in the seven-a-side tournament Monday. Cayman Prep won the Under-11 boys tournament, Academy Jaguars won the Under-13 boys title and Sunset FC won the U-13 girls tournament.

The FA Cup also made stops at Fidel Murphy’s and Mango Tree during its visit to allow fans watching English Premier League football in those bars a glimpse of the trophy. The cup, which travels with heavy security, was even afforded its own seat on the plane traveling to Cayman.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorke 'DENIED" access to US
« Reply #282 on: February 17, 2017, 10:07:36 AM »
Not sure if this should go in the football thread or the general discussion tread under Trump's first 100 days...

Claims that Dwight Yorke 'DENIED" access to US
...turned away in Florida

Published on Feb 17, 2017, 8:57 am AST
By Susan Mohammed Multimedia Desk

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170217/news/claims-that-dwight-yorke-denied-access-to-us

DWIGHT YORKE was denied entry into United States on Friday due to the travel ban imposed by US President Donald Trump.

Yorke, who is the former Soca Warriors captain and Manchester United striker, was denied transit access to Miami because he has an Iranian stamp on his passport, according to a tweet by media anchor Richard Keys.

The tweet from <@richardajkeys> read: “Well done @realDonaldTrump. Man U ambassador Dwight Yorke denied transit access to Miami cause he has an Iranian stamp on passport. #crazy”.

Iran was one of seven countries which Trump has banned citizens from travelling to the US last month.

The ban has since been reversed.

An online article from the UK Mirror stated that Richard Keys is an anchor on beIN Sports.

Yorke was headed to Miami after on commentating on the beIN Sports channel on Thursday night's football match where Manchester United's won 3-0 over St Etienne in the Europa League.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke 'DENIED" access to US
« Reply #283 on: February 17, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 17, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »
Moving on... right along.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 17, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »

FAKE NEWS

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 17, 2017, 02:41:55 PM »
'I FELT LIKE A CRIMINAL' says Man United legend Dwight Yorke
By Neil Custis and Matt Wilkinson (thesun.co.uk)

STUNNED Manchester United legend Dwight Yorke has described being made to ‘feel like a criminal’ after being barred from entering America.

Yorke was about to board a flight yesterday when he was told a red flag had come against his name because of an Iranian stamp in his passport.

The 1999 treble winner had once taken part in a World Stars XI charity game in Tehran in a legends team which included Luis Figo and Roberto Carlos.

Yorke, 45, said: “I couldn’t quite believe what was happening. I have lost count of the number of times I have been to America, I love the country, yet I was being made to feel like a criminal.

“I had bought my ticket and checked in and was about to get on the flight when I was stopped by two officials.

“I thought ‘what is happening here?’. They told me there was a visa problem and a red flag had come up against my name because of an Iranian stamp in my passport.

“I went there to play in a legends match to open a stadium and didn’t even stay overnight.”

Yorke has a British passport and a diplomatic passport as a global ambassador for Trinidad and Tobago.

He was flying to Trinidad and Tobago via Miami from Qatar where he had been working for BeIN Sports TV channel commentating on Man United’s 3-0 win against St Etienne.

Yorke said: “The two officials told me if I got on the flight I would simply be deported back to Qatar once I arrived in the States.

“I tried to explain I didn’t even live in Qatar and was just trying to get to my home in the Caribbean.”

Yorke splits his time between his homes in Manchester and Tobago and travelling the world representing Manchester United and Trinidad and Tobago.

Trump passed a highly controversial executive order banning visas for seven Muslim countries, including Iran.

The order also temporarily prohibited nearly all citizens from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen from entering the United States for 90 days – including those who have visited those nations.

It has been overturned in court but heightened restrictions are still clearly in place.

Yorke was left stranded at Doha airport for five hours yesterday and had to buy a new ticket to Gatwick where he stayed last night.

He then had to buy another ticket for a flight this morning that will get him to Trinidad and Tobago.

Yorke said: “All I was doing was trying to get home for the build up to the carnival season. I have never had anything like this happen before.

“I have travelled the world for years as a footballer and ambassador for Manchester United and my country without any problems.

“I am stunned at what has happened.

“It is not as if I was even going into America, the flight just happened to be going via Miami.

“There was another couple next to me who were on their way to Miami to pick up a boat they had bought and to go on a sailing trip.

"They were stopped from getting on the flight too because they came from Oman.”

Yorke, father of Katie Price's 14-year-old son Harvey, played in a charity match in Tehran in 2011 to raise money for sufferers of multiple sclerosis.

Other football aces who played in the game - and will have Iranian stamps - include France and Chelsea star Marcel Desailly and Real Madrid legends Luis Figo and Roberto Carlos.

BeIN sports host Richard Keys slammed the ban on Twitter.

He wrote: "Well done @realDonaldTrump. Man U ambassador Dwight Yorke denied transit access to Miami because he has Iranian stamp in passport #crazy."

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 17, 2017, 03:48:21 PM »
FAKE NEWS

APPARENTLY THIS IS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

So York would have had to have a  US visa for an  intransit stop to Miami?

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 17, 2017, 04:51:45 PM »
Go going Donald is about time someone figure out how to ban Yorke from Carnival..

No Access. No Access
jump up and wave for Access!!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke: The journey of the ‘Smiling Hitman’
« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2017, 05:46:55 PM »
Dwight Yorke: The journey of the ‘Smiling Hitman’
By James Jones (footballfancast.com)

Over the course of his career he proved himself to be one of the finest strikers in the Premier League with great finishing touch. Dwight Yorke will hope that this ability to hit the target will transition over to the golf course at the ICONS of Football 2017 tournament this summer, so he and his Rest of the World teammates will smile all the way to victory.

Yorke was first discovered by Graham Taylor, the then manager of Aston Villa, who was impressed enough to eventually offer the Trinidad and Tobago International a permanent contract.

Yorke was initially a right winger before making the swap to centre forward where he produced at an elite level. During his time with Aston Villa, Yorke was a crucial part of the club that reached the League Cup Final defeating Leeds United 3-0 in 1996, where he scored in the 88th minute.

Yorke appeared in 196 matches for the Villans, netting 63 goals for the club. Yorke’s high quality of play at Villa drew the attention of Man United leading him to eventually make the switch to Old Trafford. Yorke was transferred to Man United at the start of the 1998-99 season ending the nine years he spent at Aston Villa.

The former Aston Villa star found great success at Manchester United both at an individual level and on the club level. In his first season with the club, they won the unique treble of the Premiership Title, the FA Cup and the UEFA Champions League. The Trinidad and Tobago star was a vital centrepiece in their  Champions League run scoring goals against Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Internazionale and Juventus.

Yorke finished with a League-high 18 goals that campaign and was named the Premier League Player of the Season. While at United, Yorke paired with Andy Cole to become one of the most legendary striking duos in the Premier League and one of the most feared attacking partnerships in Europe. The two were part of a Man United club that won three consecutive Premier League Titles.

It was on this day in 2001 that Yorke had the highest scoring match of his career with three goals and an assist against Arsenal.

In addition to having a very successful club career, the star striker also was an important contributor to the Trinidad and Tobago national club making 72 caps for his home nation. Yorke was a key member of the 2006 team that qualified for the World Cup – the first time a Trinidad squad had qualified for a World Cup in the country’s history. He was one of six members of the team that played every minute of the campaign. As a result of his storied career, Yorke was the first Tobagonian to be inducted into T&T Sports Hall of Fame in 2011.

After his time at Manchester United, the goal scoring machine spent two seasons at Blackburn Rover rejoining Andy Cole, his fellow striker at Man United that he found so much success with earlier in their careers. In his first season with the club Yorke netted 13 goals and helped the club qualify for the UEFA Cup. Yorke represented five different Premier League clubs over his storied career and also had a stint in Australia’s A league with Sydney F.C.

Yorke will be remembered as one of the greatest strikers the Premier League has seen and was part of an all time great Man United team of the late 90’s and early 2000’s. The Trinidad and Tobago star forward had 123 goals in his 375 caps in Premier League play, Yorke was the first non English player to score 100 goals in the Premiership.

What is even more remarkable is that, despite being known as one of the deadliest and unforgiving strikers of the modern era, Yorke was always seen to be sporting his trademark grin, seemingly wider than any goal he would shoot the ball into. It was this look that made him as endearing to fans, not just of his clubs, but of football. A player who found infectious joy every time he laced up his boots.

As the Rest of the World team prepares to take on the England team in the ICONS of Football 2017 tournament this June, Dwight Yorke will be counted on to help get the win for the ROTW team at The Belfry. One thing is guaranteed – whether he’s on the fairway or in the changing room, Yorke will be wearing a smile that will light up the event.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke criticises lack of black managers
« Reply #290 on: April 20, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »
Dwight Yorke: Ex-Man Utd striker cannot get interview to be manager
BBC Sports.

Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke has criticised the lack of black bosses in football and claims he cannot get an interview for a manager's job.

Yorke, 45, said he knew of black former players who would not do coaching badges as they felt they had little chance of getting a coaching role.

"If it's not because of the colour of our skin then tell me what it is?" the former Trinidad and Tobago player said.

"I'm speaking out about it. Be fair. At least give us an interview."

Speaking to BBC World Service's World Football show, Yorke suggested that black players might have to consider going on strike to force those involved in the game to take a serious look at the lack of black managers.

Earlier this month Grimsby Town sacked Marcus Bignot, leaving Brighton's Chris Hughton and Carlisle's Keith Curle as the only managers from black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) backgrounds in the top four divisions of the English game.

"Football is a global sport and black players have contributed to the global sport for a number of years," added Yorke, whose former clubs also included Aston Villa and Blackburn Rovers.

"Look to the Premier League. Are there any black managers? Look at the Italian league? Are there any black managers? The list goes on."

Yorke won the Premier League three times at United, in 1998-99, 1999-2000 and 2000-01. He also helped Sir Alex Ferguson's team win the Champions League in 1999.

He added: "People like myself, who have good credibility in the game and played at the very top level, you'd think would get a job or at least be given an interview, but you're not even getting an interview.

"I see managers with my own eyes walking out of jobs and then walking into jobs, getting sacked and then walking back into another job... yet we can't even get an interview.

"I see that as not being fair."

'There's no doubt the balances are not right'

Last month, Brighton boss Hughton said there was a "real enthusiasm for change" to give equal opportunities for black managers in the English game.

"It is going to be about talking around the table as much as possible, highlighting it as much as possible and looking to see change," added Hughton, who has masterminded Brighton's promotion to the Premier League.

"There is no doubt that the balances are not right.

"Where I have seen change is at grassroots level and academy level. I think everybody wants to see that at first-team level up through the leagues.

"I do think there is a real enthusiasm to want change."

Listen: Dwight Yorke - black players may have to consider going on strike

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39661668

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:01:41 AM by Flex »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight Yorke criticises lack of black managers
« Reply #291 on: April 21, 2017, 12:22:38 AM »
Is not your country!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 21, 2017, 01:48:31 AM »
Yorke need to wake up and stop sucking England and Alex Ferguson balls.

He want to coach big club teams instead of trying to come back home and start of with de national team or something so.

Look Sol Campbell was a big player to but he in T&T doing he thing.

De only way to raise yuh level you have to somewhere.

You have to creep before yuh walk.

Yorke before he was 34 had no discipline.

Why he so fascinated with England, I eh know.

He is ah real uncle Bob.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #293 on: April 21, 2017, 03:03:11 AM »
House negro syndrome coming back to haunt players...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 21, 2017, 04:43:04 AM »
Is Dwight a certified FA coach. FA badge or whatever?

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 21, 2017, 04:58:56 AM »
Is Dwight a certified FA coach. FA badge or whatever?

Last I hear a few years ago he had acquired UEFA B licence but was holding back on the A licence because he said he believed even after doing so he still may not get a fair crack of the whip re interviews and/or appointments. My problem is Dwight barely was an assistant coach at one of Man Utd youth teams and expects a job thereafter. He would do well yo get more experience elsewhere. At this rate DL will get a club job in England before him after reading his CV. 

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #296 on: April 21, 2017, 08:04:46 AM »
 I agree with his premise on the lack of opportunity for black managers but, individually, I only ever hear him talking bout walking in to coach top flight teams. I wonder if he ever apply to Tranmere Rovers or Grimsby Town?

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 21, 2017, 09:05:04 AM »
This dude has serious delusions. He needs to sort out his issue with his child mother cause I could tell you no club would go near him based on that negative publicity that always looming. Ryan Giggs who I am sure he's rated higher than Dwight probably can't even get a serious look far less an interview. I honestly don't think it's that much about race but more about "experience".

That being said we lost a good one today. Man was doing his thing silently, no complaints etc. RIP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4431700/Ugo-Ehiogu-dies-suffering-heart-attack.html

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 21, 2017, 02:16:37 PM »
Yes man. Real tough. RIP.  God Bless.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 22, 2017, 12:12:18 AM »
I sure Signal Hill could be a good start.

Ah say it, how ah see it

1]; } ?>