March 28, 2024, 04:06:05 AM

Author Topic: German Cell Phones/SIM Card Purchase for exisiting Tri/Quad-band phones  (Read 4596 times)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Themanfriday, E-man, all odders

Educate we on the above.  Is it easier to get some type of cell while in Germany (pre-paid or otherwise) or purchase a SIM card and insert into existing tri/quad-band phones?

Bless
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
you will need a Quad band GSM phone..if you do have one already from either Cingular, AT&T or T-Mobile in the US..or Rogers from Canada you just need to tell your carrier that you will be using the phone in Germany and they will do the switching for you...some people prefer prepaid also.
as for CDMA phones..i dont belive they work in Europe.
check this site out for more info on carriers:
 http://www.howardforums.com/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 08:41:35 PM by Feliziano »
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Good look Fel., I actually already have de quad-band, so will engage de switch in time to come, bless
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
If you're going from US/Canada to Europe, ideally your phone should run on 900Mhz and 1800Mhz and be unlocked so you can insert another carriers SIM card.

Two frequency bands are used by GSM services in the US.  Two different frequency bands are used by GSM services elsewhere in the world.

There are two common tri-band phones:

900/1800/1900 - Excellent internationally and very good in the US
850/1800/1900 - Excellent in the US but not very good internationally

The best of both worlds is to have a quad-band.

US: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz

Europe and most of the rest of the world:
900 MHz, 1800 MHz

I'm with T-mobile and I can use my SIM card abroad and keep my US number, but airtime from Germany is charged at 99 cents a minute.

To save on calls I would get another pre-paid SIM card there, but then I would have a different local number instead. T-mobile has several pre-paid options in Germany. Their brand name for pre-paid is "Xtra":

Xtra-Classic: .39 Euro per minute, .19 Euro per SMS
Xtra-SMSFriends: .39 Euro/min, .05 - .15 Euro per SMS, .05/min to a number you designate.
Xtra-Plus: .09-.79 Euro/min depending how long you talk - in/out of network, etc., .19 Euro SMS

The cards cost 19.95 and come with 10.00 Euro of talk time. After that you can just get "XtraCash" to recharge the card.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Excellent

Thanks e-man, based on your info. (and Fel. as well), I will be ok, since I have a quad band ph.  Since folks will be all over Germany, will be great to be in cell. contact, especially when it comes to knowing where the nex fix is  ;D

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
aaaaaaaaaapssssss

my tmobile phone is ah quad band!!!!  ;D

aaaaaaaaapppppppssssss
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
aaaaaaaaaapssssss

aaaaaaaaapppppppssssss

Just make sure you have the WorldClass service activated. It's free to activate and you can do it online or by calling t-mobile. (Works for T&T, too, but the rate is $2.99  >:( )

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
I wonder if Cingular has prepaid voer there?
Warrior For Life !!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History

If you are a Cingular customer they also have international roaming. $1.29/min in Germany, $1.99 in T&T.

I don't think they operate in Germany as a prepaid though. But you may be able to prepay in the US and then the international roaming charges are deducted. Check with them to make sure.

http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/roaming_gen

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

If you are a Cingular customer they also have international roaming. $1.29/min in Germany, $1.99 in T&T.

I don't think they operate in Germany as a prepaid though. But you may be able to prepay in the US and then the international roaming charges are deducted. Check with them to make sure.

Just called Cingular to follow up on this.  They also have an option of $0.99/min @ a monthly rate of $5.99.  Sounds like getting a German SIM maybe the way to go for Cingular customers if pre-paid option is not available.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation

Just called Cingular to follow up on this.  They also have an option of $0.99/min @ a monthly rate of $5.99.  Sounds like getting a German SIM maybe the way to go for Cingular customers if pre-paid option is not available.
yeah i looked at the World Traveller package also..it doesn tlook that bad to pay $5
i still have to do some checking on the prepaid though
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline doh_stick

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
E-Man et al.. Anyone know how to unlock a cingular treo 650...? Cingular real stickin an not giving meh de code..

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
E-Man et al.. Anyone know how to unlock a cingular treo 650...? Cingular real stickin an not giving meh de code..

Try one of the lower-end retail outlets (such as a quiosk in a mall that is an authorized cingular dealer), it's just the luck of the draw really, some places do it and others do not, in NY I found one easily that will unlock my phone, but others were giving me static, no pun intended....

Offline doh_stick

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Try one of the lower-end retail outlets (such as a quiosk in a mall that is an authorized cingular dealer), it's just the luck of the draw really, some places do it and others do not, in NY I found one easily that will unlock my phone, but others were giving me static, no pun intended....

I will look into it- thanks

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Anybody need to unlock nokias??

I now unlock my t-mobile phone for mehself in two 2's!  :wavetowel:

Go here:  http://www.nokiafreeunlock.com/unlocking/pedir_nokia.asp

Register and den select yuh country!
Enter *#06# on yuh phone to get your IMEI

Just fill in what dey ask... Country Provider etc and IMEI

Then you will get the codes, try it one by one... the first code work for mine...

To write the P, press * 3 times
To write the W, press * 4 times
to wirte the + press * 2 times

Good luck

Careful yuh only have 5 tries... then yuh phone will be hard-locked!
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
aaaaaaaaaapssssss

aaaaaaaaapppppppssssss

Just make sure you have the WorldClass service activated. It's free to activate and you can do it online or by calling t-mobile. (Works for T&T, too, but the rate is $2.99  >:( )

what's the website to get yuh world class service activated for b-mobile(T&T)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
aaaaaaaaaapssssss

aaaaaaaaapppppppssssss

what's the website to get yuh world class service activated for b-mobile(T&T)

Don't know what b-mobile has. "World Class" is t-mobile's trademark for international roaming.

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
if you have a cingular acct for over 3 months and in good standing, they will unlock your phone.

1]; } ?>