March 28, 2024, 09:03:09 AM

Author Topic: Managers & Coaches Thread !  (Read 17292 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Managers & Coaches Thread !
« on: March 14, 2005, 11:59:36 AM »
Dundee United part company with manager McCall

(Adds quotes, details, byline)

By Kenny MacDonald

GLASGOW, March 14 (Reuters) - Dundee United manager Ian McCall left the club by mutual consent on Monday after they slumped to the bottom of the Scottish Premier League.

Assistant Gordon Chisholm has been installed as caretaker manager, United said in a statement.

United lost 3-0 at Kilmarnock on Saturday and have only 22 points from 29 games, although they have reached the semi-finals of the Scottish Cup where they play Hibernian.

Chairman Eddie Thompson said: "I find this an extremely sad day as Ian McCall was well respected at this club.

"I and my board wish him well for the future. We will now draw up a list of suitable managerial candidates, including Gordon Chisholm, for consideration.

"Meanwhile, Gordon Chisholm will take charge of the team in the interim and will continue to be assisted by (coach) Tony Docherty.

"I am sure all United fans will get behind him and the players during this difficult period."

McCall, 40, played for Queen's Park, Dunfermline, Rangers, Bradford, Dundee, Falkirk and Clydebank. He moved into management with the now-defunct Clydebank before taking charge at Morton.

He then became boss at first division Falkirk before being appointed Dundee United manager on February 1, 2003.

Updated on Monday

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:46:06 AM by Flex »
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dundee United part company with manager McCall
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 12:17:49 PM »
Dog looking like ah prophet now. Remember when he say dat God tell him not tuh join Dundee United. Now look at dem. Dey in de cellar position in de SPL and dey jes leggo dey manager.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Managers Thread !
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 08:09:32 AM »
Would you say Jose Mourinho is the best manager in England knowing that the fact that he has an all star team (Chelsea), for example, Leo Beenhakker took an average team (T&T) and in six months he made them qualify for the World Cup. Who do you think will lead England if Sven-Goran Eriksson retires best... Beenhakker, Rafael Benitez, Ferguson, Martin Jol, Mark Hughes or Mourinho...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:42:07 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Managers !
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 08:29:35 AM »
From england I like what Rafael Benitez Martin Jol, Mark Hughes and especially Paul Jewell - promoted team just below the top 4 are doing.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 09:39:45 AM »
From england I like what Rafael Benitez Martin Jol, Mark Hughes and especially Paul Jewell - promoted team just below the top 4 are doing.

Add Alan Pardew to that mix... West Ham is doing well....

and playing good football as well..... Its no mean feat to beat Arsenal at Highbury... (well maybe not so much nowadays  ;D )
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 09:45:53 AM »
Add to that list "Psycho" Pearce at Man City who has taken the team forward this year after suffering under people like Keegan. A simple man with a simple style, working with real limitations.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
I agree with the rating the other managers but I think Mourinho is the best. This Chelsea side is not that much better than the one under Ranieri...maybe even worse because Jimmy Floyd, Veron and Desailly (+ Crespo) were there together and by name they probably have more rank than Essien, Drogba and Carvalho. Plus, Ranieri couldn't bring out the performances from Lampard and Joe Cole like Mourinho has.
Apart from this, he take Porto to back to back european championships (UEFA + Champions league) without any huge stars and he broke records for points in winning the portuguese championship and the premier league last year. It probably had managers in the past with teams with as many stars in the past but didn't do these feats so I have to rate ''the special one''.

This Chelsea team is no better than Lazio's star studded team of yesteryear, barca's dream team of the early 90's, Milan during that period and Real Madrid's galacticos..but they not winning like Chelsea is, even if they entertained more.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 10:23:31 AM »
Mourinho has to get his props cause he did the job in Portugal with players that were not high profile.  My list of top managers in the PFL:  Benitez (best tactician of the lot), Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Jol.  Of the up and coming, Pardew, Jewell, Stuart Pierce, and Mark Hughes show great potential, but they need to show that they can do it longterm before they can get such a label.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 10:28:02 AM »
Honestly, allyuh men rate Fergie as a manager? I think he did a good job with grooming players through the years to play his style but I don't think he can adjust according to game situations and other teams. it took him about 7 years to adapt ManU to cope with European teams. I think if we took him out of the ManU bubble and put him at any other high profile team he would be a huge failure. But he was given time to grow into the role and establish his personality and style on ManU, a luxury that younger managers entering the game now don't have anymore.

From 86- 91 he was ManU manager and they didn't win a trophy...can u imagine that happening in today's game?

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 10:31:59 AM »
Honestly, allyuh men rate Fergie as a manager? I think he did a good job with grooming players through the years to play his style but I don't think he can adjust according to game situations and other teams. it took him about 7 years to adapt ManU to cope with European teams. I think if we took him out of the ManU bubble and put him at any other high profile team he would be a huge failure. But he was given time to grow into the role and establish his personality and style on ManU, a luxury that younger managers entering the game now don't have anymore.

From 86- 91 he was ManU manager and they didn't win a trophy...can u imagine that happening in today's game?

Total jibberish.  That is why teams kie Newcastle and REal Madrid in the situation they are in today.  They want instant gratification, and it does not always happen like that.  If you decided to develop players and reap the rewards, it takes time, and the board room members and fans need to understand this.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 10:35:27 AM »
I agree totally with that managers need time...which is why Mourinho so good, because he start from day 1. Even Benitez ,who I agree is the best tactician in the league, and Wenger took a while before the teams started to perform under them.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 10:46:56 AM »
Bennie man did good for TnT but lets keep things in perspective.

We were always in the running for 4th even before Bennie cause it was basically US Gautemala and Panama battling for that position.

If we did finish 3rd under bennie by beating the likes of Mexico away, USA, or CR then I will give him total props.

But the games we won under bennie we have won in the past.

Panama we always should have beat.
We beat Mexico at home already
and Guatemala win at home has already been done.

If under bennie we did beat the US or mexico away or CR away then he could be rated as a world class manager.

Lets keep results in perspective.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 10:54:58 AM »
De Wigan manager, fuh what de player personnel he have, and what he accomplish so far (top 10 in de league, carling cup final etc) to me show he belong among de best DIS SEASON.

Bolton's Allardyce is a nex decent manager too given what he has brought Bolton from
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Paraguay soccer manager to travel to Argentina to watch matches
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 06:41:30 PM »
Paraguay soccer manager to travel to Argentina to watch matches
(People's Daily Online)

07:57, April 18, 2006       

Anibal Ruiz, the manager of Paraguay's national squad, will travel to Argentina this weekend, to watch games where key Paraguayan players are due to feature in the Argentina league, local media said on Monday.

On Saturday, he will watch Estudiantes de la Plata and Olimpo, to watch defenders Juan Daniel Caceres and Jorge Nunez. Also on Saturday Newell's Old Boys will play San Lorenzo, where one team might employ goal-keeper Justo Villar and mid-fielder Diego Gavilan, while the other could deploy forward Jose Saturnino Cardoso.

On Sunday he will go to the Monumental Stadium to watch River Plate versus Argentinos Junniors, where Julio Cesar Caceres, who plays for the Plate "millionaires" might play.

Ruiz has said that he will publish his shortlist of 23 footballers on May 15, the deadline day set by FIFA.

"We have a base, but there is no reason to hurry. We have to respect the timetable, and although we have everything set, we won't publish until the day," he said.

On Thursday, he will visit Montevideo, Uruguay, to receive the best South American manager award for 2005, sponsored by Uruguay's El Pais daily.

After this weekend's visit to Argentina, he hopes to visit Brazil to watch Carlos Gamarra, who plays for Palmeiras; Julio Manzur, for Santos; and Cesar Ramirez who plays for Flamengo.

Paraguay is part of Group B in the World Cup, which begins in Germany in June. Its rivals in the Group are Trinidad and Tobago, England and Sweden.

Paraguay's first game is on June 10 against England in Frankfurt. On June 15 it meets Sweden in Berlin and on June 20 it will meet Trinidad and Tobago in Kaiserlauten.

Source: Xinhua

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Reading manager has no problem with signing int'l players
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 06:30:26 PM »
it would be nice if more managers adopted this approach!!

www.soccer365.com

Reading manager Steve Coppell would be happy to see his players rack up plenty of air miles if it means they are also making their mark on the Premiership.

The Madejski Stadium has become a more cosmopolitan venue now Coppell has signed South Korea international Seol Ki-Hyeon and Sam Sodje, who is on the fringes of the Nigeria squad.

Coppell insisted: "It is an issue but if you sign good players then international recognition will come. We had a couple away in the World Cup, which was pleasing for us, a proud moment for the club."

He added: "Bobby Convey represented America and was the first Reading player to appear in the World Cup final stages.

"If Sam goes on to represent his country we would be delighted for him. We obviously wouldn't be happy with a month away at the African Nations Cup and those kind of things but we have to accept it is part of the baggage. It is what happens these days.

"He will be trying to get into a very competitive team. Nigeria are a top outfit so if he does get into the side he will have to have been playing really well."

Club-versus-country friction are becoming more and more commonplace in the modern game, especially if Premiership places are at stake.

Sodje, who cost £350,000 from Brentford, admitted he was still an international novice but declared he was hungry for more caps.

He said: "I have one cap. It was good to play for my country and hopefully I can get more.

"The game was last year against Romania but please don't ask me the score!"

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
englishmen Help... manager or coach?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 05:03:50 PM »
i was reading an article about roy keane recently where he  was saying he could have either been a coach or a manager. now as far as my limited knowledge went in my americanized world manager and coach can be used interchangeably . but aparently in britain its different can som1 please xplain whats d difference between  d two
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: englishmen Help... manager or coach?
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 05:14:11 PM »
i was reading an article about roy keane recently where he  was saying he could have either been a coach or a manager. now as far as my limited knowledge went in my americanized world manager and coach can be used interchangeably . but aparently in britain its different can som1 please xplain whats d difference between  d two

I'll try my best...

Example - Tottenham Hotspur

Chris Houghton - Coach
Martin Jol - Manager 

Example - T&T senior men's National team - 05/06

Wim Rijsbergen - Coach  (Assistant Coach)
Leo Beenhakker - Manager  (Head Coach)

De Coach in de terminology u referrin to is de man who does carry out de actual trainin sessions.  Prepare drills, exercises, sessions etc.

De Manager usin dat terminology is de man who does oversee de team.  Responsible for tactics, team selection, who to sell, who to buy, etc with input from the Coach among others.

Daz my understanding anyway.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 05:26:25 PM »
so in essence its similar to a coach and a trainer relationship
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 05:32:26 PM »
That is about right but it gets complicated when you move to continental clubs.

The traditional English manager really is a coach who does everything, transfers, training, contracts, recruiting. The job is so big now that the Manager doesn't do but manage all these tasks and assistant managers, coaches etc have more responsibility.

In Europe though they usually have a coach who handles the first team and a manager who handles transfers, contracts, scouting, yout team development in a big big way. This manager is sometimes called a technical director or director of football.

Chelsea and Spurs now have this kind of model Chelsea has Arnesen who they took from Spurs and Spurs had Pleat before they hired Arnesen (don't know who is doing the work now). West ham also had Brooking as a director of football a couple of years ago.

United, Arsenal and most of the other English clubs just have a single manager handle everything football related with a prominent businessman in the mix (Dein, Gill etc.).

Keane was probably referring to the fact that with coaching he will mainly work with players on the fireld but with management he has to deal with a lot more political situations that require patience and diplomacy.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 11:41:46 PM »

I'll try my best...

Example - Tottenham Hotspur

Chris Houghton - Coach
Martin Jol - Manager 

Example - T&T senior men's National team - 05/06

Wim Rijsbergen - Coach  (Assistant Coach)
Leo Beenhakker - Manager  (Head Coach)

De Coach in de terminology u referrin to is de man who does carry out de actual trainin sessions.  Prepare drills, exercises, sessions etc.

De Manager usin dat terminology is de man who does oversee de team.  Responsible for tactics, team selection, who to sell, who to buy, etc with input from the Coach among others.

Daz my understanding anyway.

correctamundo...
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 10:57:27 AM »
The Coach conducts training sessions, determines team tactics, picks the team on game day and other football aspects relating directly to the team the Manager on the other hand also handles off-field activities such player transfers and in the lower leagues negotiates kit deals

A classic example on an English Football Manager is Alex Ferguson.

In Europe there is a Director of Football who handles transfer matters and other off the field activities leaving the Coach to focus on-field footballing matters.  This style has been adopted by Spurs who have a Director of Football Damien Comolli and a Head Coach Martin Jol.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 11:42:12 AM »
The Coach conducts training sessions, determines team tactics, picks the team on game day and other football aspects relating directly to the team the Manager on the other hand also handles off-field activities such player transfers and in the lower leagues negotiates kit deals

A classic example on an English Football Manager is Alex Ferguson.

In Europe there is a Director of Football who handles transfer matters and other off the field activities leaving the Coach to focus on-field footballing matters.  This style has been adopted by Spurs who have a Director of Football Damien Comolli and a Head Coach Martin Jol.

Not to be overly pedantic, but  believe you me, Fergie picks the team on "game day" after input from the coaching staff and formation/tactical considerations. There is another aspect to the running of the club, and that is the financial side. You mentioned in the lower leages that the manager does kit deals... interesting.... at the bigger clubs there is a whole commercial organization that handles that sort of thing.  :beermug:

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 08:05:43 PM »
I'm sure that he gets input from others but he is present at the training sessions so he would have first hand knowledge of his players.

The bigger clubs definitely have a large support system around their managers but the final say(and responsiblity) rests with him.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Levein appointed Dundee United manager
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 05:08:08 PM »
Levein appointed Dundee United manager

(Adds quotes)

GLASGOW, Oct 30 (Reuters) - Former Hearts and Leicester City coach Craig Levein was appointed manager of Scottish Premier League strugglers Dundee United on Monday.

Levein signed a 2 1/2 year contract and replaces player manager Craig Brewster who was axed on Sunday following a dismal time in charge with just two wins from United's last 28 league matches.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Craig Levein not only comes highly recommended in every category of the criteria set by the board, but has a proven track record and an excellent reputation for man management," Dundee United chairman Eddie Thompson said on the club's Web site.

"He also has extensive contacts in England and abroad and these will be important as we look to strengthen the squad in the next transfer window," Thompson added.

Levein, a former Scotland defender, had been manager of third division Raith Rovers on a non-contract basis after he was sacked by Leicester last season.

United are bottom of the standings with eight points from 12 matches and Levein is their sixth manager in the past four years.

"I fully appreciate the scale of the task before me but I am confident that I can help Dundee United to climb the league," Levein said.

"I am under no illusions that there will be an easy quick fix, but I would not have taken the job if I did not believe I could make a difference nor would I have considered coming to Tannadice if I did not believe that there was a determination to succeed within the club."

Updated on Monday, Oct 30, 2006 11:39 am EST

Email to a Friend | View Popular

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Wrexham sack manager
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 10:38:18 AM »
Smith and Russell depart Wrexham 
bbc.co.uk

League Two side Wrexham have sacked manager Denis Smith and his assistant Kevin Russell.

The club said in a statement on their website: "Nobody has wanted Denis and Kevin to succeed more than the Directors of the club.

"However, we feel we have no option at this time but to make a change to allow us time to turn things around."

Brian Carey has been installed to take over first-team duties as Wrexham aim to pull clear of the relegation zone.

The statement went on to say: "This is a club that is making good progress off the field. We are extremely ambitious and want and need to be in a position to challenge in the league.

"We hope that a dawn of a new era will bring just that."

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has resigned with immediate effect
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 09:32:56 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/8898993.stm

Martin O'Neill has resigned as Aston Villa manager with immediate effect.

Kevin MacDonald has been appointed caretaker boss while no reason has been given for O'Neill's decision to leave after four years in the job.

MacDonald will prepare the side for their Premier League opener against West Ham on Saturday.

O'Neill, appointed in 2006, said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club."
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has resigned with immediate effect
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 09:38:16 AM »
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_6303051,00.html

Martin O'Neill has stunned Aston Villa by resigning as manager with immediate effect ahead of the new Premier League season.

Reports emerged earlier on Monday that the former Leicester and Celtic boss was set to quit Villa Park over frustration at the club's transfer policy and the expected sale of James Milner to Manchester City.

Villa have now confirmed the news and that Kevin MacDonald, reserve team manager, has assumed the role of caretaker boss ahead of the start of the new Premier League season against West Ham on Saturday.

O'Neill told Villa's official website: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely.

"It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager.
Upper echelons

"I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club in the immediate short-term with regard to the handover of my duties."

Paul Faulkner, chief executive of Aston Villa, said: "The club would like to thank Martin for the great work he has done at Aston Villa over the past four years.

"He has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have also qualified for European competition for the past three seasons under his management. We wish him the best in the future."

An additional statement from Villa read: "No further comment will be made by either Aston Villa or Martin O'Neill until further notice."

It was speculated at the end of last season that O'Neill was set to resign because Villa did not match his ambition to force a place into the top four of the Premier League.

The earlier sale of Gareth Barry to City and a reluctance from club owner Randy Lerner has also been rumoured to have played a part in O'Neill's decision.
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 10:55:23 AM »
good manager,worked with little at both Leicester and Aston Villa and turn those clubs around

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 02:10:45 PM »
Stunned to see him go... Celtic beckons...

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »
Big Manager, wont be without a club for long.  Martin O'neill once said about Rangers. It only has 2 players I would consider buying from rangers and that is First and foremost Russell Latapy and Amoruso. NO one else. Not Claudio Reyna, Not Arteta, Barry Ferguson none other than de Magician and Big Amo.
Warren N. Boucaud

1]; } ?>