0 (0%)
At least 1 win
6 (33.3%)
Get to the 2nd Round
6 (33.3%)
WC 2006 Champions!
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: What are our realistic expectations for this team ?  (Read 8227 times)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What are our realistic expectations for this team ?
« on: February 05, 2006, 06:59:11 PM »
I am very proud of our team´s achievements. I was glad that I saw the game on TV and can tell my grandchilden.........if I live so long ...that I saw the game. After so many close shaves, we finally made it.
As a supporter of any trini achievement it was fantastic even though the rule book came to our rescue in the end.
As a football fan ...we came 4th in the CONCACAF group and beat a country smaller than us to qualify. I know that there are teams which are better than us which did not make it. I know nigeria with its 120 Million people did not make it. I also know that Nigeria did not have to beat panama, guatemala and bahrain to qualify.
In short my expectations, given our performances thus far, are not high for any further successes. What I hope to see is an improved performance over our last qualifying game against teams the caliber of which we have not had the pleasure to face.
At present we are not missing a spark, we are missing the fire !!
If this is a propaganda forum then only ...we go gih dem 3 comments will be accepted. I know however that many, if not all,  the forumites look at football in various countries and should see that we are not there yet.
If we had to pick a team just from our group would any of our players make the list ??
Now anything could happen in football and i would be more than happy to see us get a victory like Jamaica did in their first WC but I also know that quite a few teams have had to wait until after several attempts to score their first victory.

TrinInfinite

Re: What are our realistic expectations for this team ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 07:09:10 PM »
we have a better team than JA, we will win and reach the second round, what i notice about trinidad is at any senior level of sport, we shine, more often than not, when we apply ourselves, anything is possible, however we are missin de spark from the team in an exceptional player, if we get this or get 2, we will definately have something more than the second round or a few victories to look forward to

vibes it up

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 07:21:20 PM »
we have a better team than JA, we will win and reach the second round, what i notice about trinidad is at any senior level of sport, we shine, more often than not, when we apply ourselves, anything is possible, however we are missin de spark from the team in an exceptional player, if we get this or get 2, we will definately have something more than the second round or a few victories to look forward to

vibes it up

Wishful thinking ,,,,,, take a look at the players in the news column every weekend. See how many of our stars make their respective teams, see how many play 90 mins, then check the level of these teams.  You really think one or two players will get us there ?
We not ready for the next step ...we have to creep a little longer before we walk. You mentioned that trinis do well at senior level at all sports ...that´s true but dont forget the learning curve ! We remember ATo doing well in the olympics but we forget his first olympics. we remember crafie winning our first gold ,medal but forget his pain in the previous olympics which motivated him to succeed. The list is long Brown, burns, Bovell, yorke( 2 years on villa sidelines before he got a chance ) latapy in jamaica and portugal lower leagues before porto and boa vista.
The list is long and i can go back to Ray Apollon and leslie stewart but I think you get the picture.

Offline Trini_fan

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 07:56:46 PM »
I for one have no expectations. We made it to the World Cup and that was all I was hoping and praying for. I would love us to make it to the second round but if it ent happen is no scene.

The only thing I want to come out of all of this is the realization by the powers that be that we need a system to properly develop our younger players. With that the team could only get stronger and better.

Vibes it up.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 07:58:29 PM »
to play ah nice entertaining game ah football. no second rounds fuh me. plus i only have one ticket
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 11:05:55 PM »
Realistic expectations for the team - be competitive and do us proud.

We in a harder group than Ja was in back in France, they also had a first time team in japan to play, kinda at their level.
We dont have that luxury.

Realistically, I feel we will score goals, but we might not win any games.
Hopeful - we will win and reach second round.
There is a difference between realistic and hopeful.

We in the big league now.

Them teams looking at us like how we does look at montseratt in shell cup.

But every WC there is a surprise small team, or two.
Who knows....we have it in us to be that team, but I will not be demoralised if we dont reach the second round.
Just seeing latas and Yorkie on the field vs England will be a dream come through for me to be honest.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 03:31:20 AM »
My realistic expectation is that the team doh get embarassed and perform to ah WC standard.
De real achievement was getting there anything else is lagniappe.
Plus is another reason tuh drink beers and jump up and wine.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 04:30:25 AM »
Realistic expectations for the team - be competitive and do us proud.

Couldn't have put it better myself

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 08:54:04 AM »
Just do the best that we can. Let's enjoy the spotlight while it is on us. 90% of small Countries that make the World Cup never make it again. Let's hope that this is not true of us. We have to use this experience to help us stay at this level.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 11:11:48 AM »
The fact that we made it after so many years of trying is a reward in itself. That being said I hope that we play a good brand of football and be competitive. The group is tough and realistically I do not see us making it to the second rounds, but, football is a funny sport, you never know what can happen.
I would hope that this will be an opportunity for the powers to be to continue to invest in the sport and start with the youths. Build the infrastructure and carry forward a model of improvement.
I fear that some may look at this as a one time deal and not look to the future.
well yes

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 11:58:20 AM »
for us to reach de second round depends heavily on de outcome of the other games in the group.for me its ah 50-50 chance.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 02:49:27 PM »
yea jai john....i hear yuh.....just answer this....if tnt makes it to the second round....will you say then that the team way passed your expert expextations..??....and what will you expert expectations be for that second round match.??....F#CK  EXPECTATIONS MAN.....GO TNT
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 02:57:03 PM »
TnT could reach round 2, buh they better be the first seed in their group, as if we face Germany in round 2, well u know... so I say we have a chance if we draw with engalnd, and win d other two games, as i feel england and sweden go have a draw.

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 03:33:12 PM »
Everybody realistically believe that we could beat Mexico and USA. We does have some close games with them when we clicking. Right now both of them playing good (USA prob ok) football. If we continue preparing I beilieve we could beat Paraguay and manage a draw or maybe two. Where that will carry us I not sure.

My expectation is that we will play a full composed 90 minutes every game and represent the country.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 04:04:02 PM »
As a Trini I'm rooted in the belief that it eh have nobody better than we. As a rational human being things may not bode well for us. If we play 90 mins of football and not in spurts as we often do we can have some favorable outcomes. We have to have an approach of one game at a time and that every game is do or die.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 04:20:55 PM »
yea jai john....i hear yuh.....just answer this....if tnt makes it to the second round....will you say then that the team way passed your expert expextations..??....and what will you expert expectations be for that second round match.??....F#CK  EXPECTATIONS MAN.....GO TNT

I stated the reasons for my expectations I dont see any for yours ??
I suppose from the last line in your comment that you dont have any and dont know why either !

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 04:22:18 PM »
I for one have no expectations. We made it to the World Cup and that was all I was hoping and praying for. I would love us to make it to the second round but if it ent happen is no scene.

The only thing I want to come out of all of this is the realization by the powers that be that we need a system to properly develop our younger players. With that the team could only get stronger and better.

Vibes it up.

if only some more fans would see the big picture and not only the little slide show !

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 04:29:47 PM »
As a Trini I'm rooted in the belief that it eh have nobody better than we. As a rational human being things may not bode well for us. If we play 90 mins of football and not in spurts as we often do we can have some favorable outcomes. We have to have an approach of one game at a time and that every game is do or die.

I'm with you there boss...I say win every damn game...realistic or not.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 04:48:41 PM »

Vibes it up.

if only some more fans would see the big picture and not only the little slide show !

So you see yourself as a part of the "elite few" that can see the "big picture"?  Magnaminous of you to share your vision with the plebs.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 04:55:35 PM »

Vibes it up.

So you see yourself as a part of the "elite few" that can see the "big picture"?  Magnaminous of you to share your vision with the plebs.

I dont see myself as part of any elite few for seeing the obvious .... i would have thought that you would have picked up on the point about planning for future generations using the success of this team to motivate others.
but then if you only wanted to cticise for critising sake ...you succeeded !

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 05:36:09 PM »
people seem to be mixing up hopes and expectations....

For me, I really have no expectations. I really do not know what to expect in terms of scorelines and results.

So at the end of the day, my expectations would be that the boys fight tooth and nail for each and every one of the 90 minutes in each game..........and I expect to have a time watching it take place....

GO T&T !!
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 05:39:19 PM »

second round is a big dream but it cam become a reality. anything can happen on the big stage and tnt knows this. we are clealy underdongs and have noting to loose so if we play like that and go all out then i think that the second place can become a reality.

i just want us to play strong and hard games...

blesss

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 05:41:34 PM »
My head telling me that it will be tough and we will be hard pressed to get out of the group. I hope that we give a good account of ourselves and show that we belong.

BUT..... my heart telling meh, dat Paraguay licks book, and England and Sweden ha to brakes fuh dey self. ;D

Licks like Fire, Licks like Peas

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 05:51:15 PM »
they are going through to the second stage.

full stop.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline gothic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 06:30:41 PM »
just getting there is all i wanted, they already made the country proud so now it's time to show the world what we can do

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 07:07:55 PM »
Simple, qualifying was the initial objective, I expect our team, win lose or draw to perform creditably to the extent that they spark the hopes and ambitions of all Trinbagonians (especially the youth) and we can then use this mommentum as a launching pad for future successes  at the Concacaf and inevitably the international level.

MickeyRat

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2006, 07:09:45 PM »
Simple, qualifying was the initial objective, I expect our team, win lose or draw to perform creditably to the extent that they spark the hopes and ambitions of all Trinbagonians (especially the youth) and we can then use this mommentum as a launching pad for future successes at the Concacaf and inevitably the international level.

Spoken like ah true San Juan man.  Where were you educated my friend, North School?

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 07:10:33 PM »
Simple, qualifying was the initial objective, I expect our team, win lose or draw to perform creditably to the extent that they spark the hopes and ambitions of all Trinbagonians (especially the youth) and we can then use this mommentum as a launching pad for future successes at the Concacaf and inevitably the international level.

Spoken like ah true San Juan man. Where were you educated my friend, North School?

Doh play yuh aint know...

MickeyRat

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2006, 07:12:23 PM »

Spoken like ah true San Juan man. Where were you educated my friend, North School?

Doh play yuh aint know...

If only Mr. Anatol could see us now.

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2006, 07:14:33 PM »
yeh i agree, qualification was the primary objective, but i honestly feel we can get tru that group if we are at our best. if a couple draws in the other matches go our way i tink we can do it, although the england match seem like the big one in reality it could be the least important if hopefully england beat sweden and paraguay. anyway this is a foundation for the future so wat ever happend i dont tink any1 will be vex unless we get lash like saudi

1]; } ?>