March 29, 2024, 12:27:57 AM

Author Topic: Advice on a camera please??  (Read 8278 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Advice on a camera please??
« on: March 08, 2006, 05:47:56 AM »
Fellas ah looking at buying  a photo camera with video capacity.

What features should I look for?

Becz this is a photo camera, howmany hours of video can I get? ARe there video catridges or do I get just an hour of video and then have to retape again. Good brands?...I assume Kodak,Sony, Fuji.

Ah in Turkey so I thought I should get some feedback here first instead of from a Turkish sales person :)

Ah may buy both a vidoe camera and phto/video camera. And yes I'm prepping for my Germany trip. ;D

Peace,
VB

VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
Re: Advice on a camera please??
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 06:03:12 AM »
dont buy anything less than 4MP and 3x optical zoom..ignore whatvveer number they give for digital zoom cause that ent even a factor when buying a camera..unless you into heavy editing of pics.
also most digiatal camera that capable of doing video could only hold the amount of memory that is on the media card..ah cant remeber the exact amounts..but 1gb might give you10-20 minutes..but as i said i ent sure...check here for cameras..  www.newegg.com
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 06:35:46 AM »
Feliz right..further, if you want good quality video and still you'll have to buy both. I just bougth a video that records directly onto dvd but to get the good optical zoom and other features I wanted I had to sacrifice the digital still capability. The best you can hope for from a video camera for stil shots is about 1mp, which will only give you "ok" 4x6 prints.

Further to what Feliz mentioned for the digital still camera about getting one with at least 4mp of optical zoom is because that is the only true zoom. If you get something that says 20 times digital zoom, all it means is that it will take a copy of what you're seeing and magnify it, not a true zoom. So the pic will be very grainy.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 06:53:08 AM »
What is 4MP.

Also, it sounds like I might be better off bying a camcorder and supplement it with a phone/camera. Because my students tell me they can get about an hour or more off the phone camera. Can I then dowload the phone camera to a dvd?

VB

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 07:06:17 AM »
MP.. mega pixels.. its about the resolution or clarity of the pic. The bigger the MP the better pics you can take, especially if you want to make big prints. I've don't have or ever used a cell phone/camera so I really can't comment. But with that you also have to pay attention to what MP it has. I'm sure you want good pics, especially a little bit of a zoom?

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 07:58:13 AM »
What is 4MP.

Also, it sounds like I might be better off bying a camcorder and supplement it with a phone/camera. Because my students tell me they can get about an hour or more off the phone camera. Can I then dowload the phone camera to a dvd?

VB

i do not recommend a phone camera, unless the megapixels real high....but is typically around 1MP, i.e. shit quality pics....if you want a camera primarily for pics i think you should get a digital camera....and just like the others are saying I think you should go with at least a 4.0MP.....but anything higher than 4.0MP is a waste unless yuh want to print pics bigger than 8*10 pics.....

regarding brands I think Canon is by far the best, but that's just my opinion cause i have one  ;D

I have a 256 MB memory card for my camera, and I can take about 20-30minutes of video...the quality isn't bad, but it ain't that great either......

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 08:03:08 AM »
feliz and jumbie spot on about de optical zoom advice, but as yuh go past 3X optical zoom, keep in mind the price of yuh camera will start to increase greatly....

also if yuh want to primarily do video, then I definitely think a camcorder is de way to go...there also many camcorders that can take digital pics....

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 12:50:34 PM »
VB it might be better you get a camcorder..u can get a decent one for bout $400US..still pictures on a camcorder will be 1MP..and it surely will look better than a camera phone..which u should avoid btw..ans as lickslikefire say..camera prices will go up with the higher MP and optical zoom rate.
dont forget it yuh get a camcorder..you will need all the accesories..eg..extra battery,charger plus blank media.
Feliz

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 12:31:36 PM »
Fellas ah went window shopping today..I'll go again tmrw and Monday..as ah busy with work.

Anyway...according to my price range, I saw a Cannon...
4 MP....3x zoon and 32 MB
some other shit in turkish and I believe 1.25 inches (which is the screen?)
I will do some more investigation with a Turkish person..as I don't want to get tie up.

Now the price is 480 US  dollars (I"m in Turkey, so if I shop around and the price is comparative, not much I can do about that).

Going by what lickslikefire have to say..maybe I should be going for more mb. I forgot to ask how many mnts of recording I'll get.

But of course I'm shopping for a camcorder as well.

What do you think of it?

Also, I'll be looking for a camcorder...600 US is my price range.

Peace,
VB

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 01:47:48 PM »
Fellas ah went window shopping today..I'll go again tmrw and Monday..as ah busy with work.

Anyway...according to my price range, I saw a Cannon...
4 MP....3x zoon and 32 MB
some other shit in turkish and I believe 1.25 inches (which is the screen?)
I will do some more investigation with a Turkish person..as I don't want to get tie up.

Now the price is 480 US  dollars (I"m in Turkey, so if I shop around and the price is comparative, not much I can do about that).

Going by what lickslikefire have to say..maybe I should be going for more mb. I forgot to ask how many mnts of recording I'll get.

But of course I'm shopping for a camcorder as well.

What do you think of it?

Also, I'll be looking for a camcorder...600 US is my price range.

Peace,
VB

dred dat's real money for a 4 MP camera.....I checked in futureshop today for a Cannon 5MP camera with 3.0 Optical zoom, and I got a price of around 410 CAN including taxes....

check this site

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10066102&logon=&langid=EN

i also forgot to tell yuh, 32MB is absolutely no memory(and most cameras come with them)....so yuh have to buy an extra memory card of at least 256MB I think....so account for that costwise when yuh looking for cameras....

also I think for 600US yuh prolly not going to get a "quality" camcorder....unless yuh check ebay...later

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 01:53:21 PM »
i forget to tell yuh.....check this link for camcorders....they not looking bad.....but I don't know much about camcorders so I can't help much yuh dere  ;D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=br_ss_hs/102-2568935-3629722?search-alias=aps&keywords=camcorder

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 04:12:04 PM »
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the feedback.

I'll take my time and shop around. Also, I assume that with these cameras and cmcrders, I can easilly hook up to my tv or comp and look at them.

Yes?

Do I need any extra hardware for this?

VB

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 07:50:13 PM »

I'll take my time and shop around. Also, I assume that with these cameras and cmcrders, I can easilly hook up to my tv or comp and look at them.

Yes?

VB

VB it have any online electronic stores in Turkey?..or a brick and mortar website?
how hard is it to ship things to Turkey btw?
that price for that camera is ridiculous.
with camcorders..the more money yuh spend the more features..but yuh ent going to necessarily need all them features either lol...unlike digital cameras..megapixels mean shit to a camcorder..its all bout the size of the imaging device itself..the best ones have 3 chips in them.
since you might be using this mainly outdoors..heres a few things you will need:
make sure its a digital camcorder.
optical zoom of 20X or more,ignore digital zoom also.
long battery life plus extra battery and charger.
fast shutter speed.
stabalization.
small and lightwieght.
a microphone and headphone will be good also.
RCA cable for tv or a Firewire conenction for a pc.

btw i was researchign camcorders too the other day lol
Feliz

Offline naparima

• <Insert Interesting Comment Here>
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Rishi Travelogue
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 11:50:35 AM »
i have a Canon s80 (8.2 Megapixels) amd it is brilliant for travel pics and a bit of video...
i cross the stage with poison and took video with it.. and it was decent.

the guys are right.. you want good video.. get a video camera!!
You want good pics... walk with a good camera!

This is a once in a lifetime thing... dont let your memories look shitty with cheaper equipment! Get a camcorder and camera separately. 10 years from now, you will thank anyone who told you this, when you have high res video and great pics!!

Important when travelling : get two spare batteries (Canon battery life is great, 4 hours shooting on one charge - but you always want extra)
travel power adapter kit - it will save all your electronics and your warranty!
Good camera/video kit and extra tapes/ SD/CF storage...

for a week in a new city -- i take 2 Gigs of storage... but i take very high res shots and i take many....
a 2 gig card at 3600*2400 will take about 500 pics.... at 800*600 a 2 gig will take about 4,000 pics.
as a rough guide.

<Blurb> Insert Text
</Blurb>

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 06:30:46 PM »

Yes?

VB

VB it have any online electronic stores in Turkey?..or a brick and mortar website?
with camcorders..the more money yuh spend the more features..but yuh ent going to necessarily need all them features either lol...unlike digital cameras..megapixels mean shit to a camcorder..its all bout the size of the imaging device itself..the best ones have 3 chips in them.
since you might be using this mainly outdoors..heres a few things you will need:
fast shutter speed.
stabalization.
small and lightwieght.

What exactly is considered a fast shutter speed?

Also, as I'm going Germany, what should I carry for the electrical sockets. Is that what the adapter is for? Ah figure ah better ask now, than feel like an ass in Frankfurt.

VB

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 07:22:17 PM »

Yes?

VB

fast shutter speed.
stabalization.
small and lightwieght.

What exactly is considered a fast shutter speed?

Also, as I'm going Germany, what should I carry for the electrical sockets. Is that what the adapter is for? Ah figure ah better ask now, than feel like an ass in Frankfurt.

VB

Germany runs on 220V, I figure Turkey is the same. Outlets take the two round prongs:

Offline monty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 08:10:10 PM »
While we on that e-man, any recommendations for a good power converter/adaptor? I reading around but nothing concrete as yet.
It has to be good for camera/ipod/shaving devices. I believe all but the last one are low power consumers.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 08:23:43 PM »
While we on that e-man, any recommendations for a good power converter/adaptor? I reading around but nothing concrete as yet.
It has to be good for camera/ipod/shaving devices. I believe all but the last one are low power consumers.

Most modern power adaptors that come with gear like that are rated to take both 110 & 220, so you should just need the plug converter.

I know my shaver takes both and so do the battery chargers on my cameras. Check the labels.
If you have something that only takes 110 then check Radio Shack or Best Buy or something.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 09:08:49 PM »
some people might not know the difference btwn converters or adaptors, so I'll explain....if this is redundant to some hard luck, and if i say someting wrong correct meh please   ;D

some appliances can only handle 1 kinda current e.g. 110....e.g. some shavers, radios etc
therefore you will need a converter(to convert de current) AND an adaptor(to stick een de plug in de socket)

some appliances can handle both currents e.g. 110 and 220/230....e.g. most laptops, camera chargers - therefore you will only need an adaptor(to stick een de plug in de socket)

N.B. there different kinds of converters so make sure yuh buy de right one(corresponding to yuh appliance)....

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 10:15:34 PM »
some people might not know the difference btwn converters or adaptors, so I'll explain....if this is redundant to some hard luck, and if i say someting wrong correct meh please   ;D

some appliances can only handle 1 kinda current e.g. 110....e.g. some shavers, radios etc
therefore you will need a converter(to convert de current) AND an adaptor(to stick een de plug in de socket)

some appliances can handle both currents e.g. 110 and 220/230....e.g. most laptops, camera chargers - therefore you will only need an adaptor(to stick een de plug in de socket)

N.B. there different kinds of converters so make sure yuh buy de right one(corresponding to yuh appliance)....
also most hotels already have them in place for international guests
Feliz

Offline naparima

• <Insert Interesting Comment Here>
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Rishi Travelogue
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 06:49:25 AM »

sounds like some woman i know!! :)
<Blurb> Insert Text
</Blurb>

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 07:44:52 AM »

a problem in the uk is that shavers normally operate at 50hz while uk frequency is 60hz, causing the shaver to become a real noisy, overcharged power tool/weapon... this happens both with adaptors and converters and what is needed is a transformer which not cheap..

whats the frequency in germany would this be a problem?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 10:44:10 AM »

a problem in the uk is that shavers normally operate at 50hz while uk frequency is 60hz, causing the shaver to become a real noisy, overcharged power tool/weapon... this happens both with adaptors and converters and what is needed is a transformer which not cheap..

whats the frequency in germany would this be a problem?

50Hz in Germany

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 02:17:46 PM »
OK, give me some feedback here.

Found a Sony for 408 Euros

Optical zoom 20 X
Digital Zoom 640x

Battery NP30 which gives me 90 mnts...getting it free
Bag ...included
cables to hook up with computer and tv
uses mini dvd

photo dvd 800 000 pixels...but in broken English I was told that the pictures are "difficult" I guess this means not of good quality??

I ddn't ask her how much time I get with the dvd, but I figure that's standard....I'm guessing that becz it's a mini dvd I can use it in both America and Europe??

Also what the hell 640x digital zoom good for..is that for picture taking?

VB

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 02:55:46 PM »
OK, give me some feedback here.

Found a Sony for 408 Euros

Optical zoom 20 X
Digital Zoom 640x

Battery NP30 which gives me 90 mnts...getting it free
Bag ...included
cables to hook up with computer and tv
uses mini dvd

photo dvd 800 000 pixels...but in broken English I was told that the pictures are "difficult" I guess this means not of good quality??

I ddn't ask her how much time I get with the dvd, but I figure that's standard....I'm guessing that becz it's a mini dvd I can use it in both America and Europe??

Also what the hell 640x digital zoom good for..is that for picture taking?

VB

Decent optical zoom, switch off the digital zoom unless you don't mind degraded looking video.

mini DVD will still record in either PAL or NTSC for either Europe or America. Some DVD players these days will convert from one to the other, but some don't, so make sure it records in the format that is most convenient for you.

800,000 pixels for photos is less than a megapixel, so yeah don't expect quality there.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 10:07:13 PM »
VB..doh forget ah tell yuh them mini-dv's expensive
a 3 pack is run from $20-$35 depending on the type..and hold from 30-60 minutes
yuh should check to see if they have a camcorder with a 10 or 20gb hard drive..that could hold at least 4-5 hours

ah like it when them marketing people is put in them big numbers to rip off the ordinary person yes...800,000 pixles..STEUPSSS
btw it have camcorders with 2-4MP..the pictures look real good
Feliz

Offline skatetackle

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 11:03:58 PM »
Everyone bringing their Camera to the stadium? It is not allowed in the stadium according to the stadium rules. I will suggest that you bring a small inconspicious camera and not no big ass SLR with 900 x :) zoom.  Please have a look at the "Phrobited items" in this link which is posted on FiFA's site.
http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/i/eu/fifa/hoen.pdf.  They may just have it there to deter ppl. Anyone here been to another WC or have the inside scoop on this?

Offline djcuse

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2006, 07:46:19 PM »
Everyone bringing their Camera to the stadium? It is not allowed in the stadium according to the stadium rules. I will suggest that you bring a small inconspicious camera and not no big ass SLR with 900 x :) zoom.  Please have a look at the "Phrobited items" in this link which is posted on FiFA's site.
http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/i/eu/fifa/hoen.pdf.  They may just have it there to deter ppl. Anyone here been to another WC or have the inside scoop on this?

i just read that now?? are they honestly saying you can't bring a digital camera into the match. that seems very strange..

Offline monty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2006, 08:28:46 PM »

i just read that now?? are they honestly saying you can't bring a digital camera into the match. that seems very strange..

You allowed your still pic camera (digital or film). They referring to video cameras. Of course most digital cameras these days take videos, but they are limited in capabilities.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2006, 03:50:30 AM »
Ok. Ah see a sony.

The one referred to above.

But the prob is this. It's mini dv...nov dvd.....The dv is a PAL system.

Questions:

1. The woman not sure if it will show on an American TV if hooked up to the camcorder... Can it?

2. I believe in Amercia it's an NTS system. If I go over there with the camcorder and use an nts tape, will that work?

3. Finally if I download to dvd, it should show anywhere. Shouldn't it?

VB

1]; } ?>